Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in python can use something like below that auto-commits if it didnt throw

Python code:
with db.cursor() as c:
  c.execute("INSERT ...")
  result = c.blahblah
  if result.x != y:
    raise Exception("wtf")
  c.commit("more bullshit")
i think theres a similar construct in swift but its friday and im on whiskey now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i can do some terrible programming to make sure it commits in go

code:
tx, err := dbConn.Begin(ctx)
defer tx.Commit(ctx)

_, err := tx.Exec("UPDATE butts SET size = 'HUGE' WHERE id=`mine`")

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive been thinking about the idea of automatic commits in code and im kinda eehhhhh and think i prefer explicit commits. if it werent friday before vacation id probably figure out why i dont like it and if thats valid

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
db.commit in many orm dealios is also a ctx manager

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

ive been thinking about the idea of automatic commits in code and im kinda eehhhhh and think i prefer explicit commits. if it werent friday before vacation id probably figure out why i dont like it and if thats valid

i mean if theyre all in a closure together, its basically like having begin/commit around it + you cant forget to write it out. i really like that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

nuget sucks

c# is pretty weird about imports. why not have lib.import so I can at a glance find out where a thing is from?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Commit should be explicit, abort implicit, because overwriting known good dataset should be explicit.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

of all the suggestions so far, github clippy saying “it looks like you wanted to commit a transaction?” is actually the best

as much as i don’t like to admit it

animist
Aug 28, 2018

mystes posted:

Builders/"fluent apis" are rampant everywhere and the lack of real type safety sucks... I guess maybe there's no way to fix them without cool poo poo like Idris?

i would like a language where you can have a record w an annotation

(x: int, y: int) where [x > y]

but it's literally just an assert that gets checked at runtime when you construct a record. like don't try to do any fancy logic stuff at all. (this definitely exists somewhere, I think Ada might have it??)

Idris tries to check as much as possible at compile time, which is connected to their need for totality to prove that all loops terminate. but totality is a big pain on top of all the other pure-functional papercuts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

animist posted:

i would like a language where you can have a record w an annotation

(x: int, y: int) where [x > y]

but it's literally just an assert that gets checked at runtime when you construct a record. like don't try to do any fancy logic stuff at all. (this definitely exists somewhere, I think Ada might have it??)

Idris tries to check as much as possible at compile time, which is connected to their need for totality to prove that all loops terminate. but totality is a big pain on top of all the other pure-functional papercuts.
I guess eiffel and ada have that but it's no different than just sticking an assert statement at the beginning of your function.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Xarn posted:

Commit should be explicit, abort implicit, because overwriting known good dataset should be explicit.

agreed, thats why it should be possible to wrap it in a context

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

handle the transaction in the stored proc you're calling, not in the caller imho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fritz posted:

fib backoff is when you have to clarify parts of your resume

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

current spark status: ill just return this job with no changes and hope the problem goes away

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just bumped a 2-endpoint web service API into 25 separate endpoints due to massive overloading on semantics and data aggregation of the original.

It's like reverse-GraphQL.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

terrible programming: It's like reverse-GraphQL.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm raising a loving audit point that we are gonna keep having production problems until we can clone me because as soon as I take my eye off these chucklefucks they screw up in the dumbest of ways.

today we have had:

dev 1: Somehow deployed the previous version to the test server instead of actually building the code they'd changed, tested it and marked it as passed, then attached a different version to the deployment that contained an idiot bug (trying to cast a task, not the result of the task)

dev 2: decided that rather than call a function once and use the result on each child in the view render, they would call the function twice for every child, causing a massive geometric scaling performance problem. this was also somehow tested

1 is not paying attention to what they're doing and the pipeline automation not being done (gently caress know what's happening there, they've spent the last 2 days asking what a 403 error means and "did you delete nuget?"), 2 should have been a code review catch except there is nobody to do them except me or the person that caused the other problem, and I'm up to my eyes in other things. so guess we need a key person risk raising again!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can enforce this audit learning by gettin a new job lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm raising a loving audit point that we are gonna keep having production problems until we can clone me because as soon as I take my eye off these chucklefucks they screw up in the dumbest of ways.

today we have had:

dev 1: Somehow deployed the previous version to the test server instead of actually building the code they'd changed, tested it and marked it as passed, then attached a different version to the deployment that contained an idiot bug (trying to cast a task, not the result of the task)

dev 2: decided that rather than call a function once and use the result on each child in the view render, they would call the function twice for every child, causing a massive geometric scaling performance problem. this was also somehow tested

1 is not paying attention to what they're doing and the pipeline automation not being done (gently caress know what's happening there, they've spent the last 2 days asking what a 403 error means and "did you delete nuget?"), 2 should have been a code review catch except there is nobody to do them except me or the person that caused the other problem, and I'm up to my eyes in other things. so guess we need a key person risk raising again!

Before Monday they will both send you standoffish emails demanding raises and promotions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i see, i have figured out what’s happening with this spark poo poo. the function im parallelising is somehow referencing previous argument values from previous invocations

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CarForumPoster posted:

Before Monday they will both send you standoffish emails demanding raises and promotions.

Or like me who hosed a bit this week will ask for 4 weeks of vacation in 2 weeks time.

(in fairness I have like half of my annual leave left and it expires on the 31st without compensation)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
messing up and saying "gently caress I need a break" seems like a good argument to me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fuckin floating point numbers man

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

lol have you been reading my posts in the corporate thread complaining about my reportee that demanded a promotion?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lol have you been reading my posts in the corporate thread complaining about my reportee that demanded a promotion?

with delight

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lol. actually I have another update to that I need to post

oh and the "what's a 403 where's nuget?" was that the dependency pull was going through a proxy that was blocking the library for have a vulnerability, but there weren't later versions because the author stopped putting it on nuget because "nuget shouldn't contain script libraries" (it's chart.js)

answer is 'ok fine whatever we'll just hard link it while we upgrade', their solution was "can we just remove this from the application?" no dammit what do you think is gonna happen to the chart view if you remove the chart lib? Argggghhhh

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 26, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving git

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lol. actually I have another update to that I need to post

oh and the "what's a 403 where's nuget?" was that the dependency pull was going through a proxy that was blocking the library for have a vulnerability, but there weren't later versions because the author stopped putting it on nuget because "nuget shouldn't contain script libraries" (it's chart.js)

answer is 'ok fine whatever we'll just hard link it while we upgrade', their solution was "can we just remove this from the application?" no dammit what do you think is gonna happen to the chart view if you remove the chart lib? Argggghhhh

Yea getting my new grad employees on the "okay you have a problem, think through it and do some googling before asking me" bandwagon was one of those things I didnt know people needed to be taught as an IC. Honestly, the quality and speed of their output is pretty strongly correlated how much they take to this idea.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea getting my new grad employees on the "okay you have a problem, think through it and do some googling before asking me" bandwagon was one of those things I didnt know people needed to be taught as an IC. Honestly, the quality and speed of their output is pretty strongly correlated how much they take to this idea.

I feel this. I've said multiple times that I only know how to do stuff because I am moderately good at googling poo poo and am persistent. and post in yospos obviously.

but actually trying to work out a solution seems just beyond some people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a genuine cultural difference betw millennials and gen z, cuz seo made googling poo poo harder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a genuine cultural difference betw millennials and gen z, cuz seo made googling poo poo harder

it's not a new thing that people who should know better don't look up errors, that predates google

but it def doesn't help that google got worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont think its SEO, i think its that they (understandably) dont know how search indexers work so they overcomplicate queries. they also buy in to some of the myths about "AI" and google as a tech company, though not anywhere near as much as boomers and gen-x. the result is they overcomplicate their queries rather than just using keywords.

i dont think seo even exists anymore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

searching for "specific error text in quotes" has been total poo poo on google for like 5 years now, you get results for "idk similar error without the same words i guess?"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

but actually trying to work out a solution seems just beyond some people

I can't speak for other people but the 2 areas which used to give a lot of problems when I was a jr dev was getting lost in the big picture, and coming up with a solution without fundamental understanding the problem.

The project i'm on is one of the first times i've had to work with jr devs and i've noticed they do all the same things. Lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

searching for "specific error text in quotes" has been total poo poo on google for like 5 years now, you get results for "idk similar error without the same words i guess?"

in my experience if specific error in quotes doesnt work its cause its not anywhere that google indexes. for common errors you'll find endless results for that error text and the trick then is adding context to figure out which results apply to you

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

loving what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people can throw tons of garbage onto their page but i think goog almost exclusively promotes popular results over content these days

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaggar posted:

yeah tech search results are dominated by the same three blogspam ad sites at the top because those are actually better than MDN or w/e

you of all people should know this shaggar, searching for anything windows-related is an absolute minefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you of all people should know this shaggar, searching for anything windows-related is an absolute minefield

yeah if you're unlucky it might return windows related results