Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oldjob was unlimited pto and it was fine

currentjob i get three fuckin weeks. turns to four in march, but three weeks is really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pto payout check

next

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the scam in unlimited pto is in the accounting department, not hr. the biggest downside is you don't get that extra paycheck if you leave the company. if the place had lovely managers that haggled you over paid pto then they're going to be assholes with unlimited pto. if management was already chill with pto then they'll be chill with unlimited pto. in my case it's always meant taking one week off every quarter but there's obviously horror stories out there. any place that's a dick about it is almost guaranteed to be a dick about everything else too and you should already be looking for an exit anyways

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my place gives three weeks pto but also has five 'flex holidays' so we effectively have four weeks of pto but only three of them are paid out if we leave. i'm sure the accounting department has some min/maxed excel spreadsheet justifying this setup but whatever. it's kind of nice in a way because you just take your flex holidays first which in theory gives you a larger pto payout should you leave

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I get 4 weeks plus a smattering of holidays, it's pretty good. If you're a team that works closely with one in Germany ( I'm not :| ) there are some more holidays on their end that leads to some slacking time on your end

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
zero covid is and will always be the only rational strategy and if this is the variant that proves it through chaotic abrupt mass death then buckle up, but if it isn’t there eventually will be one that does. there has been one disease that magically got less bad on its own, the vast majority don’t do that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stereotype posted:

zero covid is and will always be the only rational strategy and if this is the variant that proves it through chaotic abrupt mass death then buckle up, but if it isn’t there eventually will be one that does. there has been one disease that magically got less bad on its own, the vast majority don’t do that.

lol remember when someone massacred an elementary school and america didn't give a poo poo?

though tbf most of the rest of the world has also hosed up pandemic response big time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

as you can clearly see from the trend, the next peak will be even smaller than the delta peak in the summer.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when someone massacred an elementary school and america didn't give a poo poo?

though tbf most of the rest of the world has also hosed up pandemic response big time

yeah the west really hosed this one up, only china soldiers on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also wait isn't "eventually a variant will emerge that causes mass death" theoretically applicable to every other disease as well?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

also wait isn't "eventually a variant will emerge that causes mass death" theoretically applicable to every other disease as well?

it is but few of them have the same running start at it that this one does.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Full, mandatory vaccination with legitimate medical exemptions being the only exemptions allowed is about it and won't be done despite being less "extreme" than zero covid.

Also approval processing for vaccine updates, which can be done in less than a month as per Pfizer/Moderna. Good luck convincing the same people who won't take it now to take it though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i mean sort of, but historically we also haven't let deadly pandemics get entirely out of control and then decide to let them stay that way because dealing with them is hard. there really aren't that many novel viruses, and the ones we accepted previously were never that bad to start.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, this time it's different from 165, 541, 735, 1346, 1520, 1545, 1576, 1629, 1656, 1772, 1846, 1855, 1889, 1918, 1957, 1968, and 1981. the 2019 pandemic is absolutely the one that is going to kill all humans and plunge civilization into an eternal dark age.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oh we gave a poo poo. a fringe talk show host said that it actually didn't happen and the kids were actually very small crisis actors and then spotify paid joe rogan a hundred million dollars and his first notable guest was said fringe talk show host

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It would be nice if they updated the shots to cover the dominant variant too rather than doing it once against the wuhan original and calling it a day.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

oh we gave a poo poo. a fringe talk show host said that it actually didn't happen and the kids were actually very small crisis actors and then spotify paid joe rogan a hundred million dollars and his first notable guest was said fringe talk show host
he was Just Asking Questions, jonny!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The immune system is incredible, it has a built-in variant-busting mechanism called somatic hypermutation where it diversifies antibodies by randomly shuffling DNA segments.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It would be nice if they updated the shots to cover the dominant variant too rather than doing it once against the wuhan original and calling it a day.

Both moderna and Pfizer have said they can spin up and start production of a new vaccine targeting new variants in less than a month.

The issue is getting approval

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

no, this time it's different from 165, 541, 735, 1346, 1520, 1545, 1576, 1629, 1656, 1772, 1846, 1855, 1889, 1918, 1957, 1968, and 1981. the 2019 pandemic is absolutely the one that is going to kill all humans and plunge civilization into an eternal dark age.

i've been hoping but it lets me down every time.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fabricated posted:

Both moderna and Pfizer have said they can spin up and start production of a new vaccine targeting new variants in less than a month.

The issue is getting approval

our bureaucracy has performed so admirably over the last two years i'm sure it won't be a problem then

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

spankmeister posted:

The immune system is incredible, it has a built-in variant-busting mechanism called somatic hypermutation where it diversifies antibodies by randomly shuffling DNA segments.

the problem is this is a slow process and covid could kill you before your immune system finds a solution to it

most people are obviously able to fight it off before it gets too bad but sometimes someone rolls snake eyes and your immune system isn't able to find the right shuffle in time

so yeah this isn't ever going to become black death levels of bad but it's also never going to reduce down to background noise until the entire globe simultaneously adopts covid zero policies or at least mandates universal vaccines

in summary: lol. lmao

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
universal vaccination will take place once the unvaccinated people die of supercovid, obviously

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

kitten emergency posted:

universal vaccination will take place once the unvaccinated people die of supercovid, obviously

yeah this is the merek's disease but in people future that i feel is increasingly likely

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

well at least the new variant of concern should be just in time to push out return to office plans

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

our bureaucracy has performed so admirably over the last two years i'm sure it won't be a problem then

tbh a regulatory exemption or even straight-up new law enabling immediate production of variant-targeted vaccines strikes me as much more likely than most other measures the government might take

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i guess this one is the O M I C R O N variant

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tbh a regulatory exemption or even straight-up new law enabling immediate production of variant-targeted vaccines strikes me as much more likely than most other measures the government might take
Regular flu vaccines are on this sort of timeline since the technology/production process is pretty tried/tested. It would not shock me if it ended up being the case for the mRNA COVID vaccines.

Now getting people to take them if they get perma-fasttracked? lol, lmao

Moderna already issued a statement that they've been testing two new vaccines for a while (as in, since Delta first dropped) that target most of the worse mutations seen in Omicron (because we identified these mutations as being bad already- they're present in Beta/Delta/Mu/etc), and are testing them against Omicron currently.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

There's evolutionary pressure to not massively kill off all of your hosts because then you can't continue to reproduce. Viruses and bacteria don't want our species dead, they just want to continue loving and sucking forever, and adaptations are designed to make that more and more efficient.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

"Designed" was a poo poo word there because it's actually the random walk of evolution. But adaptations that cause your host to die and prevent your reproduction are going to reduce overall fitness.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm going to continue living my life as I have all of my previous 33 years.

Holed up in my home, in front of a computer screen, talking poo poo at strangers on the internet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

shoeberto posted:

"Designed" was a poo poo word there because it's actually the random walk of evolution. But adaptations that cause your host to die and prevent your reproduction are going to reduce overall fitness.

if it increases (or at least doesn't decrease) efficacy of spreading before the host dies then it doesn't really "reduce fitness".

or at least not directly. the reason hyperlethal viruses tend to die out in the long term is because they actually massacre so many people that the reduced population density ends up reducing the spread, or people get so concerned that they actively take measures to control it before things get that far.

you really really don't want to live in a time where it's the first of those factors that ends up happening

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jabor is right

basically don't try to predict what is an evolutionarily stable strategy and what isn't unless you have a model and also that model maps _pretty dang well_ to actual mechanisms of mutation

evolution is hosed up, genes are hosed up, and almost all of the lay "x is a good/bad strategy" talk turn out to be just-so stories that while not incorrect on a conceptual level have little to no bearing on how actual mutations in actual organisms occur, and are misleading at best when applied to empirical cases

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

reminder for those playing at home:

1. if it makes > 4 grandbabies, it's an ESS
2. sucks to your group selection, defectors will gently caress you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It really rocks that we didn't nationalize the pharma industry and release all patents for medicines when the pandemic first started.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

if it increases (or at least doesn't decrease) efficacy of spreading before the host dies then it doesn't really "reduce fitness".

or at least not directly. the reason hyperlethal viruses tend to die out in the long term is because they actually massacre so many people that the reduced population density ends up reducing the spread, or people get so concerned that they actively take measures to control it before things get that far.

you really really don't want to live in a time where it's the first of those factors that ends up happening

hmm no I think I’d like it if the virus got better by itself, so that I don’t have to do anything.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Stereotype posted:

zero covid is and will always be the only rational strategy

I live in a place (HK) with that strategy. we have zero cases and have for months. our vaccination rate is 60% and unlikely to improve for a variety of reasons.

in exchange for that, if you want to leave and return, you eat a 3-week quarantine in a hotel room that you pay for with windows that do not open. if you run out of amenities like water, you pay for that too. vaccination status does not matter.

the wait list for a quarantine hotel booking is several months. if I left today to see my parents for the first time in 3 years the earliest I could be back in my flat is March.

it’s achievable, but there’s a cost to it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I live in a place (HK) with that strategy. we have zero cases and have for months. our vaccination rate is 60% and unlikely to improve for a variety of reasons.

in exchange for that, if you want to leave and return, you eat a 3-week quarantine in a hotel room that you pay for with windows that do not open. if you run out of amenities like water, you pay for that too. vaccination status does not matter.

the wait list for a quarantine hotel booking is several months. if I left today to see my parents for the first time in 3 years the earliest I could be back in my flat is March.

it’s achievable, but there’s a cost to it.

there's a cost to not doing it that way, and it's much worse. we haven't even seen how much worse it is yet and a million people are dead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

add covid to the list of things that will never ever be even close to solved without a global communist dictatorship marching soldiers into every city on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

add covid to the list of things that will never ever be even close to solved without a global communist dictatorship marching soldiers into every city on earth

YJDPOS