Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/lizrummy/status/1464019762976112642?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HardPass4/status/1463886150171566084

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

that dude is a chud piece of poo poo, wow

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

lament.cfg posted:

that dude is a chud piece of poo poo, wow
you mean to tell me the self-identified grillpill guy with the ron swanson av is a chud??

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol membrane buttons on a grill. anything newer than dials and a striker is shameful

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i don't know, unrelatedly who's the rear end in a top hat that buys a grill that connects to the internet?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how long does the software update take? an internet connected grill is dumb as gently caress but i feel like having to wait 15 minutes to start the grill is not actually going to ruin thanksgiving.

i guess they could have really hosed it up bad and it's been sitting there on the update page for hours in which case lol. lmao.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

lol membrane buttons on a grill. anything newer than dials and a striker is shameful

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

some ad wizard came up with WIFIRE and they just had to use it regardless of whether they should

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what does wifi on a grill even do? i assume it gives you temperature notifications on your phone because that's a no brainer 10 cent feature, even though it's stupid. starting it remotely seems extremely dangerous but i suppose they could have done that too. what other benefits features could there even be?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

what does wifi on a grill even do? i assume it gives you temperature notifications on your phone because that's a no brainer 10 cent feature, even though it's stupid. starting it remotely seems extremely dangerous but i suppose they could have done that too. what other benefits features could there even be?
it's a wood pellet grill that lets you dial in precise temps so it's basically a wifi range you have to manually refuel. at least it's pellets and not propane/natural gas lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kenny Logins posted:

it's a wood pellet grill that lets you dial in precise temps
so where does wifi come in?

quote:

at least it's pellets and not propane/natural gas lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

basically the same justification as having an app to control your oven. "convenience"

the crazy thing to me is smoker/wood pellet/charcoal is best when you have some time to gently caress around or are retired. so this is for people who have nothing better to do and who are also incredibly lazy. oh and have no idea how to wisely spend money I guess

re: your gif i am a propane griller and find it a good mix of performance daddery and efficiency/science

but i would never add wifi to an explosive fuel source in or adjacent to my house lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

you can obsess over the temperature with Some loving App

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the degree to which we've gone backwards from "reasonably functional automatic things" to "oh i'm on the way home from the store, better click the up arrow three times on my furnace app" just stuns me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I have never in my life looked at a light bulb or a crockpot or a bidet and thought "it's alright I guess but it would be really cool if this buttplug could be part of a botnet"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
star trek things that we were promised and didnt get:

* post-scarcity society
* food replicators
* limitless free energy
* holodecks (which are for fuckin' as quark will remind us)

star trek things that we were promised and got:

* being able to say "computer, lights on"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

our new range can do wifi but lol nope. the best new feature to me (besides air fry mode) is you can set a timer to have it shut itself off (or optionally shut off and throw into keep warm mode). good failsafe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smart thermostats are the wackiest poo poo to me. i have a plain old daily programmable one with a black and white LCD and i set it up once and haven't hosed with the programming since. if i want to override it i walk up to it and press a button a few times -- no digging through my phone for an app. i have never felt like my daily heating/cooling situation was so complicated that I needed an AI to figure it out for me. nor am I loving with it enough that it would ever learn anything anyway. nor do I care to connect the giant machine full of fire that lives in my closet to the loving internet.

it's the textbook example of an answer to a question nobody asked. the complete opposite of good design. argh

Jonny 290 posted:

except you can't even say "computer." you have to invoke some corporate brand.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im actually looking at setting up a mycroft machine for kitchen timers and the current weather, and im gonna set the trigger phrase to 'hail satan'

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i stayed at a place that had a wifi stove and microwave and the sole purpose to hooking them up was to keep the clocks in sync. Lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

smart thermostats are the wackiest poo poo to me. i have a plain old daily programmable one with a black and white LCD and i set it up once and haven't hosed with the programming since. if i want to override it i walk up to it and press a button a few times -- no digging through my phone for an app. i have never felt like my daily heating/cooling situation was so complicated that I needed an AI to figure it out for me. nor am I loving with it enough that it would ever learn anything anyway. nor do I care to connect the giant machine full of fire that lives in my closet to the loving internet.

it's the textbook example of an answer to a question nobody asked. the complete opposite of good design. argh

except you can't even say "computer." you have to invoke some corporate brand.

my Nest thermostat stopped working right two days ago. if you tried to change the temperature it would turn on the furnace and then a second later turn it off and reset the temps back to what it wanted. had been using it fine for years but apparently it decided we weren't allowed to control our own temperatures anymore.

had to factory reset it to fix it which made it clear the problem was Software.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

smart thermostats are elaborate occupancy sensors, if they're useful for anything. when I was younger I thought it was cool, but any decent configuration defeats the benefits of the bulk of their features

that they're appliances that can out-live multiple mergers until they become a google ad platform is as big an admonition as any against being too enthralled to whiz-bang products

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im a big fan of the robot vacuums that map out your house as well as your foot traffic patterns by figuring out where the dirt vs the dust is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

star trek things that we were promised and didnt get:

* post-scarcity society
* food replicators
* limitless free energy
* holodecks (which are for fuckin' as quark will remind us)

all the good stuff depends on the limitless free energy. federation society is basically predicated on magic.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

smart thermostats are elaborate occupancy sensors, if they're useful for anything.

I appreciate being able to control the temperature from anywhere in the house, but that's the extent at which I want a device to be "smart". I also have a wifi-connected pellet smoker and it's quite convenient to be able to monitor the meat and adjust temperatures while working from home.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1464352997937278976

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/bryn_boranga/status/1464246666987454478?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why is it the person from azumanga daioh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because i googled 'demon core anime' and that was the first clear one that came up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

cuz that poo poo fire

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i actually only know that character from leekspin

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

because i googled 'demon core anime' and that was the first clear one that came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjbX1gj88

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Sagebrush posted:

trap sprung

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/taliaualiitia/status/1464368044029865986

lol @ both twits :allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/mishimakitan/status/1464222757311238148?s=21

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/algoestowork/status/1464594862787936258

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ping_of_death_/status/1464312889632690177

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/veryimportant/status/1464660119325655050?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/gaycosmichorror/status/1464464041452048389?s=21