Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zlodo posted:

yeah if you're unlucky it might return windows related results

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

searching exact messages is bad most of the time because the error is probably going to have some code specific chunk it in that will break an exact match

the real skill is in being able to rapidly skim 15 identical looking stack overflow posts to find the one that tells you "oh yeah I forgot to do X like a dumbass"

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Recognizing and removing the codebase-specific part is not hard though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

searching exact messages is bad most of the time because the error is probably going to have some code specific chunk it in that will break an exact match

the real skill is in being able to rapidly skim 15 identical looking stack overflow posts to find the one that tells you "oh yeah I forgot to do X like a dumbass"

the key is to find the stack overflow question where they hosed up something you got right, but got right the part you hosed up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

senior is not when you do that fast, but when your google queries return no hits

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Senior is when google turns up one result — someone who had your exact problem down to the exact error message — 3 years ago. Zero responses.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Gaukler posted:

Senior is when google turns up one result — someone who had your exact problem down to the exact error message — 3 years ago. Zero responses.

with an edit that just says "nm figured it out"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Carthag Tuek posted:

fuckin floating point numbers man
I was checking my account on Comcast's website, and it said my monthly fee was something like $155.00000002.

Looks like *someone* is using floats internally.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Presto posted:

I was checking my account on Comcast's website, and it said my monthly fee was something like $155.00000002.

Looks like *someone* is using floats internally.

good grief lol

tbf it could be like bigint("155.0") in their backend that gets displayed all hosed in the frontend because json only has one number type

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thread closed: please just read this blog entry which has all the info you need

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
our application has a single float field because some idiot thought you'd need fractional millisecond TCP connection timeouts way back when

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jesus WEP posted:

you motherfucker

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

gently caress you, i spent a few hours today trying to find an archived copy of a mailing list conversation from 14 years ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

Answer above that is "just use this library" and answer below is some extremely complicated implementation of a simple thing.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Gaukler posted:

one time I was trying to find out "how to do X in library Y" and the top result was my own 3 year old answer to a somewhat related question on SO

i didn't really understand the answer but it did mention that "there is no way to do X in library Y" so I just moved on with my life

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Is this our future? Where our past selves are answering questions for our present selves? :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Presto posted:

Is this our future? Where our past selves are answering questions for our present selves? :(

i asked myself that same question once, and i can only say you wont like the answer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Presto posted:

future me in a few years is kind-of hosed :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

future me in a few years is kind-of hosed :v:

future me in a couple hours is super hosed up :getin:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Presto posted:

yes but the opposite: our present selves are failing to answer problems caused by our past selves

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

me, making my bed: ugh this sucks i dont care if its done properly anymore

me, trying to sleep in garbage: wtf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why sleep when you could be learning about spark jobs’ context manager

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

i dont think seo even exists anymore
all those pronoun/pro-form heavy page titles must be trying to accomplish something

and if it's teasing people to click, well, that's just another level of seo that has humans in the loop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gazpacho posted:

all those pronoun/pro-form heavy page titles

yeah im probably real tired of those too i guess?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea getting my new grad employees on the "okay you have a problem, think through it and do some googling before asking me" bandwagon was one of those things I didnt know people needed to be taught as an IC. Honestly, the quality and speed of their output is pretty strongly correlated how much they take to this idea.

i have seen the (admittedly rarer) dark side to this. i worked on a team once with a smart guy whose tragic flaw was that he was terrified of being seen as stupid or lazy, so he refused to ask for any advice or guidance on anything ever. he'd waste entire days reinventing wheels and bashing his head against known bugs in our application when he could have just posted a question to slack, gotten a cup of coffee, and come back to a quick pointer in the right direction.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I had or still have that as well, including during my time as an apprentice. My guess in my case it's a side effect of mild imposter syndrome and some self-worth issues.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

all those pronoun/pro-form heavy page titles must be trying to accomplish something

and if it's teasing people to click, well, that's just another level of seo that has humans in the loop

how to tie your shoes in 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"ohhh the environment is down there is an error and it is due to windows firewall blocking a port we must ask the infrastructure team why the ports are blocked"

really? the error is a stack dump saying "called this function from globals.asax to get config from a remote source but couldn't access it due to a timeout" complete with full file path pointing to this being a CI build that a cursory glance at the graph tells me is 2 months behind master, even if it wasn't for the fact that we know that this error occurs on the new servers because of a deliberate network level change to prevent calls across environments including to those urls.

this has been talked about at length and there was a jira we just deployed that added switching to handle exactly this. even apart from that the stack trace tells you what's happened, and where, and you know who deployed it. and yet the response after half a day of staring at it is "must be windows firewall ports".

fucks sake it's Monday and I'm sick of this already.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

reading a stack trace is a senior skill

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
We use our authentication to segregate all our environments and while it was very little work it would have been worth it even if it was a huge fuckin hassle. Almost daily we see other teams trying to connect their local dev environment to production, luckily that fails hard and while they aren’t the greatest they are smart enough to figure out why it did fail and don’t come complaining to us.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Oneiros posted:

reading is a senior skill

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.jetbrains.com/fleet/ intellij vscode

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:hai:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i still haven’t figured out which language to do advent of code with

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

inform

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idris 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i actually can write some basic inform, ha

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

autohotkey

get them 1-indexed arrays working

I'm not bitter or anything it took me half a day to figure that bit out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

i dont see alot of these anymore, but im also doing mostly c#/sql/asp related searches so theres almost always tons of legitimate results to put at the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"ohhh the environment is down there is an error and it is due to windows firewall blocking a port we must ask the infrastructure team why the ports are blocked"

really? the error is a stack dump saying "called this function from globals.asax to get config from a remote source but couldn't access it due to a timeout" complete with full file path pointing to this being a CI build that a cursory glance at the graph tells me is 2 months behind master, even if it wasn't for the fact that we know that this error occurs on the new servers because of a deliberate network level change to prevent calls across environments including to those urls.

this has been talked about at length and there was a jira we just deployed that added switching to handle exactly this. even apart from that the stack trace tells you what's happened, and where, and you know who deployed it. and yet the response after half a day of staring at it is "must be windows firewall ports".

fucks sake it's Monday and I'm sick of this already.

we have sprint planning in a few minutes and i just want to die instead