Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

From the leading podcasts to the recent Gabby Petito case, it seems like True Crime is all the rage these days. There's an endless range of podcasts, shows, communities and Youtubers all dedicated to exploring some of the darkest aspects of humanity. What's particularly interesting though is when you delve a little deeper the demographics for this media is overwhelmingly skewed towards women. I actually have a theory that women aren't socialized to have an outlet to direct the darker tribalist parts of the brain like men do with professional sports, so this can manifest itself into the True Crime phenomenon I described earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Wizard Master

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ibthink its cause dangerous criminals get their poosay all hot n wet OP

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Let's give OP a lot of attention, I'm sure all the replies will amuse the big guy. What a masterful troll. :golfclap:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sourdough Sam posted:

Wizard Master

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/30-year-old-virgin-wizard

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

women be true crimin'

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Nooner posted:

Ibthink its cause dangerous criminals get their poosay all hot n wet OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poo slime

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Something to do with vaginas is my suspicion

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
True Crime appeals to the same women who like soap operas, but this is worse because the victims are 100% real.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

how about true rhyme

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The most egregious poo poo most of these people deal with is someone cutting in line at Starbucks, so a little wood chipper action gets them all hot and bothered

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I think it's because it's often women who are the victims so it makes it more scary to think that it could happen to you. More scary = more attention catching. Also you can see what tactics people use to get their targets so you feel like you would recognize it if it happened to you.

What's weirder to me is the women who fall in love with serial killers, after they get caught.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_drive

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
True Crime is cool I like behind the bastards it's pretty nice to listen to at work

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's bad true crime where they fellate the cops

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Crue Time

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Maybe they like learning how criminals get caught so that when they off their husbands they minimize the hassle by not repeating the same mistakes.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

why isn't wizard master a master wizard?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Wrong, the death drive is for men who want to murder everything in sight while women are usually the ones being murdered.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know if I'm ready for a master of wizards

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Is his hair poking her eye?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:smugwizard:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I used to be super into true crime which hosed with my brain irreparably because of some of the hosed up poo poo I've read and seen. Slowly it became more and more popular to the point where it now feels extremely exploitative to victims and their families.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The first one was good, but it got weird when the dragons and zombies showed up. Nice theme tune though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxobJuD9-c

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

As a woman who enjoys true crime, it’s a way to feel scared while in a safe environment. It’s similar to why people like horror movies. And as the victims are frequently women it can also teach you how to avoid being a murder victim to some degree. “The lady who got away did X. I’ll tuck that away for later.” Then there’s the forensics, which can be really interesting. What I’ve learned from that is to always try to bite and scratch your attacker as much as possible because DNA can be left under the fingernails.

True Crime is cathartic in a way and can make you feel grateful for the life you have and that you’ve never had to deal with these situations in real life.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm a dude but I get into phases where I watch Dateline and for me the appeal is to feel like a smarty pants and make a hard decision as to whether or not the accused did it or not. That and watching complete trainwrecks that make me feel better about my own life.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nessa posted:

As a woman who enjoys true crime, it’s a way to feel scared while in a safe environment. It’s similar to why people like horror movies. And as the victims are frequently women it can also teach you how to avoid being a murder victim to some degree. “The lady who got away did X. I’ll tuck that away for later.” Then there’s the forensics, which can be really interesting. What I’ve learned from that is to always try to bite and scratch your attacker as much as possible because DNA can be left under the fingernails.

True Crime is cathartic in a way and can make you feel grateful for the life you have and that you’ve never had to deal with these situations in real life.

I feel that it would be fun to do a True Crime style podcast and then get to episode 6 out of 10 and start introducing some weird Cronenberg elements before going full trans-dimensional horror in the last few episodes. Like the end of Society but more... stretched out :gibs:

This would be particularly fun with a good foley artist

edit: I think there would obviously have to be clear signposting so as to not make people have traumatic flashbacks. This is why I am not running a multi billion dollar podcast corporation

Convex fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 27, 2021

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
I used to be very into true crime shows (Forensic Files was my favorite, watched 2-3 hours of that cable channel a day) but then in my mid-twenties I converted to Catholicism and somehow the process of that was so consuming to my attention that when I went back and revisited after I'd been a Catholic for a couple of years I found them intolerable and very upsetting.

Maybe I was so bored with my interior life when I was younger that to put myself in the position of the victim or of the killer was mentally fulfilling? IDK. I don't think that becoming Catholic granted me some special power of enhanced empathy. I don't practice any religion any more and reject the temporal authority of the Church in particular and still find that sort of show unwatchable.

SAN
Jan 23, 2004

Unknownone bought me this account as I am a cheap bastard.

I fear having my ass completely handed to me.

Hey, I love true crime.
You calling ME a woman, bub?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The best one for me was the Dateline where a woman married a dude that her dad basically fell in love with because "he had boats and planes and took us on vacations and was Christian and from the Mid-west". Then she fell in love with some other guy and her dad and husband drove up to her new boyfriend's house to try to intimidate him and got met with guns in a standoff situation before pussying out. Then the husband killed her and it turned out he was a phony who was in a huge amount of debt and had a history of faking mental episodes to get out of obligations. He also definitely killed his first wife by blowing her up in a vehicle fire in the middle of nowhere.

After all that, the main murder victim's dad was just like, "I try to bring everyone to the light of Jesus Christ, who could have seen this coming?".

Todd Winkler was the murderer. There's not a Wikipedia page for him but the Dateline episode is called "Deadly Twist" and is free to watch on Peacock streaming.

I spoiled a lot but I'll leave some mystery and say that Todd Winkler has an outburst in court that is just the :discourse: on top of all the ridiculousness that leads up to it.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 27, 2021

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
True crime fans are ghouls who feast on the misery of others.

"Oh hi Mrs Jones! Your daughter? The one who was kidnapped, assaulted, tortured and bludgeoned to death? I just wanted to say I'm a huuuuge fan. Yeah, the forensics on the body that were leaked revealed that she screamed herself hoarse while the guy was killing her to the point where it shredded her larynx, and I gotta say that it's little details like that which make it so much more compelling to me."

SAN
Jan 23, 2004

Unknownone bought me this account as I am a cheap bastard.

I fear having my ass completely handed to me.

The Investigative Discovery channel has to be the best thing since sliced bread. I could live having that channel on 24/7.
Other channels like it, however (A&E had a crime one that has semi-decent shows), are good too.........but, man, it just isn't ID.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Goons love to poo poo on SNL but Bill Hader is a great comedic actor and his sketches as Keith Morrison are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Lv6t0moFY

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Breetai posted:

True crime fans are ghouls who feast on the misery of others.

"Oh hi Mrs Jones! Your daughter? The one who was kidnapped, assaulted, tortured and bludgeoned to death? I just wanted to say I'm a huuuuge fan. Yeah, the forensics on the body that were leaked revealed that she screamed herself hoarse while the guy was killing her to the point where it shredded her larynx, and I gotta say that it's little details like that which make it so much more compelling to me."

Basically how I see it. Imagine if someone was obsessed with mass shooters or Holocaust torture experimentation, they'd be seen as utterly hosed up, I don't see how this is any different.

The victims of serial killers mostly died in extreme pain, terror, and confusion, not exactly some poo poo I want to lap up nonstop for hours on end every couple of days. There's morbid fascination and then there's this loving weird obsession

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

hell astro course posted:

why isn't wizard master a master wizard?

You see, they aren't a true wizard themselves, they just manage a lot of wizards. It's just a title, no real power beneath it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think what makes it the worst for me is the obsession with the killers and how they killed people and mutilated their bodies and poo poo, like just degrading other human beings to the extreme, and true crime ladies always act all quirky and post FB statuses about how their depression "self care" is laying in bed smoking weed and listening about how human beings were utterly brutalized, like cool, real edgy and unique of you. loving wack