Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
unlimited pto is not fine, covid is over, next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

oh we gave a poo poo. a fringe talk show host said that it actually didn't happen and the kids were actually very small crisis actors and then spotify paid joe rogan a hundred million dollars and his first notable guest was said fringe talk show host

alex jones and joe rogan are not the reason nothing was fixed after sandy hook

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah it’s because Americans are psychopaths

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hey now, some of us are jus t incredibly stupid

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fart simpson posted:

rogan personally promised to mma punch the sandy hook principal if he even tried to fix things

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

hey now, some of us are jus t incredibly stupid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

its possible to be mad at multiple things!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

its possible to be mad at multiple things!

yeah maybe if youre some kind of anger savant

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Y'all heard of this capitalism thing? It seems like a good thing to be mad at.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Y'all heard of this capitalism thing? It seems like a good thing to be mad at.

no, what is it?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's like in german where you change the case of the first letter of nouns. it's dumb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I'm going to continue living my life as I have all of my previous 33 years.

Holed up in my home, in front of a computer screen, talking poo poo at strangers on the internet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The reason the gun issue will never be addressed in the US is because a majority of citizens at some level believe in the whole second amendment/"we won our independence because people were armed" stuff. Also generalized paranoia of everyone else. And the fact we have a more than 1:1 guns per capita ratio so absolutely nothing but full confiscation would work which will not happen because of previously mentioned reasons.

We have decided gun massacres are a price we're willing to pay to keep them around and it's never gonna change.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah the scam in unlimited pto is in the accounting department, not hr. the biggest downside is you don't get that extra paycheck if you leave the company. if the place had lovely managers that haggled you over paid pto then they're going to be assholes with unlimited pto. if management was already chill with pto then they'll be chill with unlimited pto. in my case it's always meant taking one week off every quarter but there's obviously horror stories out there. any place that's a dick about it is almost guaranteed to be a dick about everything else too and you should already be looking for an exit anyways
I've got about 5 weeks of vacation stockpiled and I'm seriously doubting an "unlimited PTO" company would let me take that much at once even if I'd spent the past 2 years not taking any.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

i guess this one is the O M I C R O N variant

it’s gonna be so badass when we hit COVID OMEGA

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It really rocks that we didn't nationalize the pharma industry and release all patents for medicines when the pandemic first started.

the nodding iawtp smiley except with a sad face

really cool that this appears to be the second time the new big bad variant emerges from a place that the rich countries deliberately apartheided and denied the vaccine tech :thunk:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
has anyone said omicron job 25 11 2021 /home/scripts/new_variant.sh yet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Penisface posted:

the nodding iawtp smiley except with a sad face

really cool that this appears to be the second time the new big bad variant emerges from a place that the rich countries deliberately apartheided and denied the vaccine tech :thunk:

I saw a tweet that said that this variant was actually just sequenced in South Africa, likely did not originate there, and is probably all over many countries already.

I have no idea if that tweet was true or not though.

Also apparently the next two letters in the WHO sequence were Nu and Xi, but they skipped those because Nu just sounds like "new" and president Xi is a big baby

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 28, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

part of why it was identified first in south africa is because they have good health infrastructure and covid analytics, that gather tons more data about each case as tests are taken and such. we just never look so we don't know :911:

of course, this means that now dipshit americans will take the opportunity to slander south africa, due to our own ineptitude

e: like me, who couldn't even type ineptitude

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 28, 2021

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Also apparently the next two letters in the WHO sequence were Nu and Xi, but they skipped those because Nu just sounds like "new" and president Xi is a big baby

but xi isn’t even pronounced like that! but yeah, nu covid is just too much.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They should just rename all of the variants to the fort detrick variant.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I saw a tweet that said that this variant was actually just sequenced in South Africa, likely did not originate there, and is probably all over many countries already.

I have no idea if that tweet was true or not though.

We probably won't ever know where this variant first emerged, but this does make sense. South Africa has world-class virology labs and great sequencing (due to the HIV crisis) and they were the first to discover this variant. Same reason they were the first to discover Beta too.
The UK also does a LOT of sequencing which is why they were the first to discover the Alpha variant.

Scientists now like to say something like "B1.1.7, the Alpha variant, first described in the United Kingdom", to emphasise the fact that they are not necessarily the orgin of the variant, just where it was first discovered.

quote:

I mean, I get it. It's not even President Xi being a big baby, which he is, but the rest of the world not being able to be adults about it either.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
call it the freedom flu

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/Deep_Seas_Oil/status/1464651848296636418?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

Given the rise of anti asian sentiments over the last few years, it's a probably a good idea not to name a virus variant after the leader of an asian country.

I don't know why that is considered xi being a baby.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hate to say it but i agree with animeistrash on this one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, you can't win with that one. either you call it Xi and they say "SEE? SEE?" or you don't, and they say "SEE? SEE?"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this seems good

quote:

The two positive cases are in isolation in the state's Special Health Accommodation.

Both people, who are fully vaccinated and were asymptomatic, arrived in Sydney from southern Africa on Saturday, November 27.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/travellers-test-positive-to-omicron-covid-sydney/100657076

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the opinions spouted about south africa in some places are pretty lovely for that matter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the opinions spouted about south africa in some places are pretty lovely for that matter.

[disambiguation needed]

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

[disambiguation needed]

a lot of racist and otherwise ignorant blame getting thrown around about it over the origins of the new variant.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It has probably been everywhere before we found it. The vaccinated being asymptomatic is actually good- if the vaccines still reliably reduce severity of disease that's very good.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of racist and otherwise ignorant blame getting thrown around about it over the origins of the new variant.

the really, really funny part of this to me is that it was probably the Afriklaaner's fault

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the upside though is that SA are real good at virology thanks to the whole HIV/AIDS thing, so at least they have that going for them

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i don't mean to say that i know where the newest variant originated from, mostly because i try to avoid doomscrolling news and keeping myself up to date with all of that

i do think it's kind of poetic in a very bad way that (iirc) delta was associated with india and now omicron is associated with south africa, yet i remember those were the two most prominent countries asking for the rna vaccine tech to be temporarily freed from patent protection under wto copyright rules

and i mean yeah we can keep boosting ourselves with the 9th pfizer shot but i do not believe there is really another solution to this than making the tech and patents free for everyone to use. i wonder how many millions have to die for this option to even be on the table

and oh yeah didn't we have that climate thing too?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

poo poo just got real in canada

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fabricated posted:

It has probably been everywhere before we found it. The vaccinated being asymptomatic is actually good- if the vaccines still reliably reduce severity of disease that's very good.

Yeah I meant the vaccinated being asymptomatic is actually good. NSW is 92% double dosed now and the at risk age groups are even higher.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Given the rise of anti asian sentiments over the last few years, it's a probably a good idea not to name a virus variant after the leader of an asian country.

I agree with you in concept.

I also think that anyone who's going to be anti-Asian about this (1) has already gone full anti-Asian, (2) won't be convinced otherwise no matter what, and (3) will take either approach as evidence of it all being an Asian plot, as jonny says. Skipping a few letters didn't exactly cut down on the conspiracies; they're already posting that "omicron" is an anagram for "moronic" as evidence of whatever they're on about these days.

I think it's dumb to dumb things down just because dumb people will intentionally interpret them wrong.

My dream is that we could call it the Xi variant, explain to everyone who asks that it's pronounced "ksai" and, if it comes up, that Pooh's name is more like "she," and we could have an enlightened discussion about Greek, Pinyin, and Latin transliterations of foreign words.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't know why that is considered xi being a baby.

Xi is a baby regardless.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 28, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/wendyzuk/status/1465072995987251204?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Xi is a baby regardless.

no, he’s a bear