Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that is a hall of fame tier headline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

wargames posted:

Does elon have to fund the nazi party like ford did, because i think elon would be very much into that.
:thejoke:

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nahh he donates to all political parties Lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

loving lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
cnet's car review team didn't Love The Car

https://twitter.com/Tim_Stevens/status/1464220589758029841?s=20

biggest issue they had was Autopilot randomly braking all the time for no reason, but they weren't huge fans of the build quality either

https://twitter.com/Tim_Stevens/status/1456283041798803458?s=20
https://twitter.com/Tim_Stevens/status/1456291347141435399?s=20
https://twitter.com/Tim_Stevens/status/1456295595459624969?s=20

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmfao i bet thats a corner protector for the window glass and it should have been removed during assembly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these things are the biggest loving pieces of poo poo lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

lmfao i bet thats a corner protector for the window glass and it should have been removed during assembly

rofl that's 100% it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tesla is kind of amazing in that the more cars they design and build the worse they get

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FMguru posted:

tesla is kind of amazing in that the more cars they design and build the worse they get

lookin forward to model æ which will only be acknowledged by Elon twice and then never again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

that's the model. q.v. google and chat apps. innovation!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Carthag Tuek posted:

lookin forward to model æ which will only be acknowledged by Elon twice and then never again

Oh jesus gently caress, he's going to do a Model 🍆 at some point, isn't he.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

the Model Son?
lmao

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Doug Demuro reviewed the Rivian truck and I hope Elong has a lovely day when he gets mad at why his group didn't do some of the fun things for the Cybertrukk

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

these things are the biggest loving pieces of poo poo lol

quote:

I can't conclusively say that it's because of the missing radar, but I can say that our Model Y is bad at detecting obstructions ahead. Really, really bad. The big issue is false positives, a problem that has become known as "phantom braking" among Tesla owners. Basically, the car often gets confused and thinks there's an obstacle ahead and engages the automatic emergency braking system. You get an instant, unwanted and often strong application of the brakes. This is not a problem unique to Teslas. I've experienced it on other cars, but very, very rarely. On our Model Y this happens constantly, at least once an hour and sometimes much more often than that. In a single hour of driving I caught five phantom braking incidents on camera, two hard enough to sound the automatic emergency braking chime.

This is a massive problem. It happens on both the highway and on secondary roads, any time the cruise control is engaged even without Autosteer. It means the car's cruise control is patently unsafe, which means the entirety of Autopilot is unsafe. And that means the car itself is unsafe.

quote:

Except that it isn't wonderful. The phantom braking issue is a complete deal-breaker. Our car, which is running the latest production version of Autopilot, is unsafe whenever cruise control is enabled. A $70,000 car that can't even do cruise control is inexcusable and so, for now at least, I must recommend against the Model Y. There is an increasingly great suite of all-electric options out there, cars like the Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Mustang Mach-E and Volkswagen ID 4. And, if you're willing to wait a little longer, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Nissan Ariya, Toyota BZ4X and Subaru Solterra will all join the fun. In the interim, we'll keep testing our Model Y and post updates as the situation changes and Tesla moves the target again. For now, spend your money elsewhere.

6.7 / 10

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"The car tried to kill me and is unsafe to drive. -3 out of 10 points. Still luv the car."

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If you're a video game developer, getting below a 7 is atrocious and you're definitely going to have trouble pitching another project to your publisher. Tesla are just taking the next step in their ongoing gamification of the automotive industry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

You get an instant, unwanted and often strong application of the brakes. This is not a problem unique to Teslas. I've experienced it on other cars

my car has never done this!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you're a video game developer, getting below a 7 is atrocious and you're definitely going to have trouble pitching another project to your publisher. Tesla are just taking the next step in their ongoing gamification of the automotive industry.

"Why the hell do you have to be so critical?"
"I'm a critic"
"No, your job is to rate movies on a scale from 'good' to 'excellent'."
"What if I don't like them?"
"That's what good's for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeFed0RyLo&t=180s

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sagebrush posted:

my car has never done this!

I’ve had it happen in a few different cars with automatic emergency braking which is on most new cars these days. It’s never entirely inexplicable but I’ve had it trigger where the car in front of me is turning and I continue on at the same rate of speed knowing that the car ahead is moving out of the way but if you cut it too close sometimes the AEB will kick in and it’s really jarring. It’s been pretty rare though, like once or twice a year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
maybe y'all should drive safely instead of whatever the gently caress seat of your pants poo poo you're doing, idk

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

infernal machines posted:

maybe y'all should drive safely instead of whatever the gently caress seat of your pants poo poo you're doing, idk

Mazda had to do a pretty substantial recall because their aeb system was falsely detecting objects and slamming on the brakes. Even the best of these systems have a false positive rate that is greater than 0. They don’t understand context so they sometimes do the wrong thing.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol, agreed. slow down if someone is turning in front of you. ban cars

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They don’t understand context so they sometimes do the wrong thing.

they programmed the car to be a goon???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ve had it happen in a few different cars with automatic emergency braking which is on most new cars these days. It’s never entirely inexplicable but I’ve had it trigger where the car in front of me is turning and I continue on at the same rate of speed knowing that the car ahead is moving out of the way but if you cut it too close sometimes the AEB will kick in and it’s really jarring. It’s been pretty rare though, like once or twice a year.

a rental on vacation did this, but the driver in front slowed down suddenly before lane changing for an exit so it wasn't without reason

even then it wasn't a harsh brake, and I'd set the distance to max cruising space between vehicles, so it was behaving in a way I'd intended which is more than that review can say of mr. musk's wild ride

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

a rental on vacation did this, but the driver in front slowed down suddenly before lane changing for an exit so it wasn't without reason

even then it wasn't a harsh brake, and I'd set the distance to max cruising space between vehicles, so it was behaving in a way I'd intended which is more than that review can say of mr. musk's wild ride

I never had it happen with ACC or at high speed, just while driving on surface streets. My wife’s CX-5 was the worst offender, it would suddenly brake when the lane ahead was clear after the car ahead turned or simply pulled off to the side. The braking was strong enough to send things flying off of the seats. It didn’t happen very often at all and on balance it was probably still better than not having it, but it was a little wonky.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

drivers frequently report not seeing cyclists or pedestrians after crashes, perhaps these were simply non-fatal occurrences of the same phenomenon?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

drivers frequently report not seeing cyclists or pedestrians after crashes, perhaps these were simply non-fatal occurrences of the same phenomenon?

No? It’s weird that “driver assistance systems are imperfect and make both type 1 and type 2 errors” is a contentious statement in the Tesla YOSPOS thread. You can see some examples of false positives in a Bosch based Honda system here.

https://comma-ai.medium.com/aeb-a-case-study-using-comma-ai-dataset-2fc08a2397f4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Doug Demuro reviewed the Rivian truck and I hope Elong has a lovely day when he gets mad at why his group didn't do some of the fun things for the Cybertrukk

they'll just further delay the already delayed cybertruck to keep adding new features to keep up with other manufacturers

cybertruck forever - "when it's done"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

No? It’s weird that “driver assistance systems are imperfect and make both type 1 and type 2 errors” is a contentious statement in the Tesla YOSPOS thread. You can see some examples of false positives in a Bosch based Honda system here.

https://comma-ai.medium.com/aeb-a-case-study-using-comma-ai-dataset-2fc08a2397f4

i wouldn't say it's contentious, more that people have decided you're probably an unsafe driver, for some reason.

lol @ comma.ai in general though. some loving xda nerd decides to run an image recognition system on his laptop and use it to drive his car on public roads.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lol @ comma.ai in general though. some loving xda nerd decides to run an image recognition system on his laptop and use it to drive his car on public roads.

Elon Musk??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, but no, geohotz

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

remember when he wanted to start selling self-driving kits and the nhtsa sent him a letter saying "hey, we hear you want to use this on public roads. can we have some basic info on your testing and the safety of this device?", after which he proceeded to have a giant baby meltdown and was going to move to china where the mean old government won't "stifle innovation" by asking questions like "is this thing safe?"

instead the chinese government just goes "nope, we're not doing that" and if you talk back you disappear

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 27, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, that was pretty great and did an excellent job of illustrating the problem with that approach to autonomous vehicle development

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

yeah, that was pretty great and did an excellent job of illustrating the problem with that approach to autonomous vehicle development

He’s currently selling those kits in the US and nobody cares or has tried to stop him which illustrates the other problem with autonomous vehicles development: you can just do whatever you want and nobody will stop you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

very much so, yes.

like, in theory the nhtsa should be all the way up his rear end (and tesla's), but somehow they've decided to take the "wait and see" approach to enforcing their mandate

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

very much so, yes.

like, in theory the nhtsa should be all the way up his rear end (and tesla's), but somehow they've decided to take the "wait and see" approach to enforcing their mandate

it's not like hotz hasn't already gotten his rear end blasted by the california dmv for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1464686423596945408

he's so insecure lmao