Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I've noticed a couple of things about us SA folks: we skew liberal and gently caress this gay earth. I was reading the NYtimes opinion section, owning myself as I often do, and freed of yesterday's burden to be thankful I spotted an article with some relevant bullshit.

Our big lib brain makes us sad and pissed off at the status quo, probably full of dead weight like conscience and empathy. OR DOES IT? Maybe the difference in happiness is only us lacking the 4Fs, according to Harvard rear end in a top hat: Friends, Family, Faith, and a Fuckin decent job.

"Self-identified liberals are less likely than conservatives, on average, to be tied to family, faith and community."
So are you happy because of those? Happy despite lacking those? If they worked out for you, how did you stack up those sweet community ties??

Happy End-Of-Thanksgiving, everyone! Here is the article if anyone wants it lol

quote:

How Liberals Can Be Happier
nytimes.com/2021/11/25/opinion/liberals-happiness-thanksgiving.html
Brad Wilcox, Hal Boyd, Wendy WangNovember 25, 2021

For many of us, the holidays offer a time of reflection. We look back at the year that’s passed and ahead to the year to come. Some ask a simple question: Am I happy?

That appears to be a more difficult question for liberals than for conservatives. It’s a puzzling but well-established finding: Conservatives are more likely than liberals to report they are happy.

But why are conservatives more likely to say they’re happier? And how can liberals live happier lives?

Some scholars believe that the happiness gap between conservatives and liberals is driven by differences in how liberals and conservatives think about politics and inequality. For example, John Jost and Jaime Napier, two psychologists at New York University, have written that “the rationalization of inequality — a core component of conservative ideology — helps to explain why conservatives are, on average, happier than liberals.” In other words, happiness is a function of legitimating the world as it is. Conservatives are happy because they’re fine with the status quo; liberals are unhappy because they’re not.

The general hypothesis presented by Mr. Jost and Ms. Napier carries enormous intuitive appeal. If your politics are about social justice, change and progress, then it stands to reason that you might feel unhappy with life as it is.

But for liberals who want progress and personal happiness, thankfully this isn’t the only explanation. In our research and in that of others, another theory has emerged: Human connection lends meaning, direction and a sense of solidarity to our lives. In short, it helps make us happier.

Arthur Brooks of Harvard, for example, told us: “A lot of our happiness is out of our control, based on genetics and circumstances. But some of it we can control. It requires we invest in four things each day.” Those four things, he said, are “faith, family, friends and work in which we earn our success and serve others.”

The liberal-conservative happiness gap, then, may not be primarily about political ideology but rather connections to our country’s three core institutions. Self-identified liberals are less likely than conservatives, on average, to be tied to family, faith and community.

Our research supports that view. In a recent YouGov survey for the Institute for Family Studies and the Wheatley Institution, we found a 14-percentage-point difference between liberals and conservatives age 18 to 55 in the share who are married. A minority (41 percent) of liberals are married versus a majority (55 percent) of conservatives. And there’s a full 26-point difference in religious attendance between these two groups: 18 percent of liberals said they could be found in a church, temple, synagogue or mosque at least once a month, compared with 44 percent of conservatives.

This view garners further support from the research on happiness. A Pew Research study, for instance, ties the Republican attainment of happiness advantage over Democrats in part to more marriage, greater family satisfaction and higher levels of religious attendance.

In a separate study of the conservative-liberal happiness gap, the psychologists Barry R. Schlenker, John Chambers and Bonnie Le explore liberal disengagement from family and faith. They note, “Liberals have become less happy over the last several decades, but this decline is associated with increasingly secular attitudes and actions (e.g., less religiosity, less likelihood of being married, and perhaps lessened belief in personal agency).”

In our survey, we found a modest gap between conservatives and liberals age 18 to 55 in being “very happy” — with 22 percent of conservatives reporting they are “very happy” compared with 17 percent of liberals (conservatives are also a bit more likely to say they are “pretty happy”). This gap is not explained by socioeconomic differences in income, race, age and gender between the two groups. But once we control for marriage, parenthood, family satisfaction, religious attendance and community satisfaction, the ideological gap in happiness disappears.

On Thanksgiving, a holiday so many of us spend with our loved ones, we emphasize that of all these social factors, the biggest factor predicting overall happiness is satisfaction with family life. Certainly this doesn’t determine the direction of causation, but the findings advance the case that support and social connections — particularly at home — are important for happiness.

As part of our research, we spoke to a number of Americans about family. The case of Katie, a 38-year-old Virginia married mother of two, illustrates the point. This right-leaning woman has noticed a difference between her life before and after she married and had children. Although she has less time for herself, she much prefers her new status as a married mother. She’s less lonely and finds more “purpose and meaning in the mundane day-to-day life, as well as exciting times when my kids hit certain milestones.”

She reported a “fuller happiness now” as a wife and mother, in part because it is shared with her husband, children and extended family members — as well as friends who are also raising families with whom, she said, she often has “a common ground to talk about.”

The connection between social ties and happiness also applies to those on the left. Julie, a 46-year-old, self-described progressive mother of four in Salt Lake City, has been married for more than two decades and is engaged in community volunteering; she’s also active in her local church. She works full time and balances a dizzying array of responsibilities. It’s her home life, however, where she finds “the greatest joys” and “the greatest struggles.” But each commitment, she said, “brings an opportunity to connect with people around me.”

Her experience dovetails with the patterns in our survey. Liberal women who are married, parents, religiously active and happy with their family and community are all significantly more likely than other liberal women to report they are “very happy.” The same goes for men.

There are, of course, many other factors that influence reported levels of happiness in America. Poverty, exercise and what Mr. Brooks calls “earned success,” by which he means productive work, are just a few examples. But we have not seen any evidence that liberals work or exercise less, and our own analyses do not indicate that socioeconomic factors account for the ideological happiness gap.

Liberals seeking to improve their own lives might look to social institutions as resources that can help lift life satisfaction. This would be a challenge, given that support for marriage and faith has dropped more in recent years among liberals than conservatives, and secularization has been concentrated among more left-leaning Americans. In other words, the very institutions that might improve liberals’ happiness are increasingly viewed negatively by liberals.

Aristotle understood we are social animals. When liberals throw themselves into social institutions — from family to faith to local civic organizations — they have just as great a shot at happiness as people on the right. That doesn’t mean liberals will throw themselves into these institutions in the same way that conservatives do. And they don’t need to.

But they cannot lose sight of this paradox: Individual happiness is more likely to be found not by directly pursuing it but by embracing social institutions that call on us to focus first on the welfare of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ignorance is bliss

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I love how the easy option is just angry guy

"Liberals"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

i have the new york times blocked until they apologize

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i wasn't even thankful last month when it was thanksgiving, why would i be on some arbitrary day either?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hell astro course posted:

i have the new york times blocked until they apologize

but their whole shtick is U CANT BLOCK US WE BLOCK U

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're right, OP. That Harvard guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

kntfkr posted:

but their whole shtick is U CANT BLOCK US WE BLOCK U

I thought that was the Platinum Games guy.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Mega64 posted:

I thought that was the Platinum Games guy.

If you quote him his blocked posts show up!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm crab

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
From my Facebook feed it appears that all my conservative acquaintances have been enraged for the last 13 years. Only appearing happy when posting a newly purchased gun.

Guns make people happy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I supposed to believe there are people who takes articles like this seriously???

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Tl;dr

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

libs are sad because they don't believe in god

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Meme Poker Party posted:

Am I supposed to believe there are people who takes articles like this seriously???

Yes it is me, the guy who read the NYTimes opinion writers. All the news that’s fit to print!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

teardrop posted:

Yes it is me, the guy who read the NYTimes opinion writers. All the news that’s fit to print!

How much Jesus do you think you need to be happier?

A lot of Jesus, or just a little Jesus?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I'm launching Thankful Thursdays so that we can be thankful every week for a day.

I'll open the Thankful Thread maybe next week.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

How much Jesus do you think you need to be happier?

A lot of Jesus, or just a little Jesus?

I’ll need to defer to a Harvard trained Jesusologist on that one

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
i've had covid 19 for 3 weeks and now every time I blow my nose its mostly blood

lol!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Phew...we paid lip service to being grateful for our friends, family and possessions. Time to head to Walmart at 4 am so that we can wait in line for 20% off a TV. Gotta buy buy buy buy!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Join a cult, preferably one where you :sever: your dick

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I am suing that man for libel.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

teardrop posted:

Where do I read the news thats not fit to print?

- Signed, a pervert

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I hate Thanksgiving but I hate this thread even more.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You should be thankful for this thread, it gives you something to hate. Isn't it nice :)

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I hate Thanksgiving but I hate this thread even more.

Sounds like you are not too happy right now, how you doin on the 4 Fs

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Noo Yoyk Time POTY (Post of the Year): Eyy Ima a waakin heea!!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

im gay

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Eyy Ima a waakin heea!!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

teardrop posted:

Sounds like you are not too happy right now, how you doin on the 4 Fs

Fuckin'
Fightin'
Fashion
F....paying respects

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Fuckin'
Fightin'
Fashion
F....paying respects

i dont have any of the those fs or the fs in the op and im just so mad all the time checks out

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm still thankful

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
shut up OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP died

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"I'm a stay at home mother of four who spends my life volunteering for my church in salt lake city Utah. I'm very liberal."

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 27, 2021

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I can’t read idiot

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

runnypoops posted:

I can’t read idiot

But you can write in it???

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
This article is basically saying that the idea of someone being unhappy because the world sucks is so preposterous that the real reason must be because the person themselves just doesn't live a "proper" conservative lifestyle as portrayed in TV's "Leave it to Beaver".

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

But you can write in it???

Speech to text idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP's brain sounds like that lovely twang guitar in the Berserk intro