Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Rarity posted:

I really don't care whether Logain saw the weaves or not cause it was a freaking cool moment and that's what matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Nynaeve's healing being super-glowy fits with her using a special weave different than everyone else's anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

I suspect we get the glow of saidar once Nynave and Egwene actively become channelers so that the audience learns about it when they do.

i think we kinda? got it already, when moiraine's fighting in episode one

at least that's how i interpreted it, since her lighting is unnaturally bright in a dark scene and it's not just the light being cast from the spells she's casting, then when she collapses it's like the glow goes out

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rarity posted:

I really don't care whether Logain saw the weaves or not cause it was a freaking cool moment and that's what matters

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Moraine says there's been female false dragons before, that's interesting

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Daniel Greene had a bunch of nitpicks about that scene and said it had no emotional impact for him :psyduck:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hexel posted:

Daniel Greene had a bunch of nitpicks about that scene and said it had no emotional impact for him :psyduck:

I've been a little disappointed in his coverage of the series in general, tbh. Not mad just disappointed that he's not on the same wavelength

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Hexel posted:

It's very much a rule of cool scene. Bookwise, a first channeling wouldn't work like that anyway, but visually it's a cool way to show Nynaeve channeling for the first time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainsDescendant posted:

I've been a little disappointed in his coverage of the series in general, tbh. Not mad just disappointed that he's not on the same wavelength

There's a lot of stuff about the show that's very critiqueable but overall it's still a very good show. It's the "everything is more important than you think it is while you are thinking about it" problem -- it's easy to spend time thinking about how the logistics of the battle doesn't make sense, or the coats are too clean, or the buildings in the Two Rivers don't have thatched roofs, or why is Perrin not talking about his wound, or Logain's power level is off, etc., and convince yourself it's a C show instead of an A show, because you've forgotten that they're putting the core of the story and characters on the screen and that's what matters.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I just watched episode 4 and loved it. I haven't read every post upthread, but one detail I noticed and didn't see mentioned was Logain not using his hands to channel. Looking forward to the Wise Ones scoffing at the Aes Sedai for their dancing.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I used to be a really nitpicky media consumer as well, I totally get it. There's a lot of fun to be had there as long as you don't get too serious about it. I've just gotten a lot more relaxed about that stuff as I've gotten older, and seeing folks dissect everything into the little problems they've found makes me exhausted

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only way this show would have been successful is if it included every single detail from the books so that it takes a full 8 episodes of the first season to cover the intro and all of the traveling that rand and mat do on the road and then gets canceled after like 2 seasons because no one wanted to stick through half of that

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not So Fast posted:

It's very much a rule of cool scene. Bookwise, a first channeling wouldn't work like that anyway, but visually it's a cool way to show Nynaeve channeling for the first time.

In the book isn't it often the case that a wildlings first channeling significantly outstripps their normal ability to channel until they get pretty far into their training?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pleads posted:

I can definitely see how Nynaeve's coat would cause confusion with the colour-coded Aes Sedai, but drat if it does not look like the comfiest coat in the series.

I will admit to a moment of small nerd joy when I saw Nynaeve was wearing yellow skirts under her green.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the book isn't it often the case that a wildlings first channeling significantly outstripps their normal ability to channel until they get pretty far into their training?

Eh, I don't think it's ever stated, but, sure, why not

What *is* in the books is that people often have disproportionate Talents in particular areas and Nynaeve is implied to have a Talent for healing. People with talents can "out-perform" dramatically in their sub-area.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I will admit to a moment of small nerd joy when I saw Nynaeve was wearing yellow skirts under her green.

Yeah that definitely felt like an intentional nod

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I've watched the first three episodes so far. Found episodes 1 and 2 not super great, but episode 3 was bangin.

I think the acting is pretty good, although Rand's actor is boring. A shame Mat's is leaving for season 2, I feel like he's doing a really good job. Everyone else is pretty good.

They are really ripping along as far as pacing goes, with respect to how slow the book is; I feel like the first episode could have spent more time setting things up though I guess they wanted to make a splash to get some return viewers. I wasn't exactly expecting an info-dump, but they kind of drop you in and then just kick start the fighting real quick.

The only real issue I have is that I find it odd how direct Morraine's character is written in this - she just kind of... comes right out and tells all the young folks that one of them is the Dragon? It makes it seem like the show is treating this historically feared and hated character as... not that big of a deal actually? If I'm remembering the book right she convinces Mat/Perrin/Rand to accompany her and Lan by telling them that they're Ta'veren and that the dark one is after them ~for some reason~ and backs it up by noting that they appeared to have been directly targeted in the attack on Emonds Field/Rand's farm; that obviously didn't happen in how it was portrayed in episode one and I felt like it made the overall motivation quite a bit weaker, even though I get that the set up for it would have probably been too long for the format of the show.

Overall I'm enjoying that WoT is finally on the screen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I saw some youtubers talking about Ep 4, and one of them brought up something that hadn't even occurred to me.

The fade could have been hiding from Mat. The evil of Shadar Logoth hates the Dark One and all it's minions, and visa versa. And given how we know someone later used that dagger to terrify a fade and pin one to a door, maybe it could sense the power and didn't want to engage just then.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hopped over to the AV club review for this ep just to see what the vibe was like and of course the first comment spoils that Rand is the Dragon. :cripes:

Like, lads, I don't agree with the decision to make it a big mystery, but if they're making the attempt we might at least try not to gently caress it up for them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was surprised that the AV Club review for this ep was so down. It was a rocking episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I got home from the store today to find my wife watching a "This is the general info of the world of the Wheel of Time, and a summation of the first episode to prepare you for the show"

And in all their talk of the Dragon they only used images of the 3 boys, and the outline of the Dragon Reborn has a loving sword. It was touted as something that isn't a spoiler.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Random thought, it would have been badass to see Ishamael in the prologue at the beginning of the series so when he shows up in Rand's dream with the bats, book-virgins would go "OH drat IT'S THAT DUDE, HE'S BAD NEWS, GODDAMN"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

How are u posted:

I was surprised that the AV Club review for this ep was so down. It was a rocking episode.

AVClub has been pretty trash for a long time tbf

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Cryte Lynn posted:

Random thought, it would have been badass to see Ishamael in the prologue at the beginning of the series so when he shows up in Rand's dream with the bats, book-virgins would go "OH drat IT'S THAT DUDE, HE'S BAD NEWS, GODDAMN"

Nah, the Ba'alzamon = Ishamael = Elan Morin connection is kept vague for the first few books at least.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Umbra Dubium posted:

Nah, the Ba'alzamon = Ishamael = Elan Morin connection is kept vague for the first few books at least.

It's funny because the basic facts are laid down in the first book but you have to like do venn diagrams in your analysis to nail it down

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

I saw some youtubers talking about Ep 4, and one of them brought up something that hadn't even occurred to me.

The fade could have been hiding from Mat. The evil of Shadar Logoth hates the Dark One and all it's minions, and visa versa. And given how we know someone later used that dagger to terrify a fade and pin one to a door, maybe it could sense the power and didn't want to engage just then.

Yep. Only Mat could sense "it"

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 28, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

I got home from the store today to find my wife watching a "This is the general info of the world of the Wheel of Time, and a summation of the first episode to prepare you for the show"

And in all their talk of the Dragon they only used images of the 3 boys, and the outline of the Dragon Reborn has a loving sword. It was touted as something that isn't a spoiler.

Rand being the Dragon is as obvious as Ned Stark dying, both being revealed at the penultimate episodes. I wouldn't worry too much, in 3 weeks everyone will know

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Barreft posted:

Rand being the Dragon is as obvious as Ned Stark dying, both being revealed at the penultimate episodes. I wouldn't worry too much, in 3 weeks everyone will know

I do wonder when they'll be saying the prophecy Moiraine heard. They've said they know that the Dragon has been reborn, but not how. Spoilers for some leaked stills One of the stills leaked from later in the season looks a lot like when Rand and Tam were running back into town while hiding from a Trolloc, the whole bit where Tam has a fever dream and lets Rand know Tam is not his biological father so we know he's the Dragon reborn. That's not gonna work without the prophecy saying he was born on the slopes of Dragonmount being revealed to the audience.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

I didn’t like the Ba’alzamon look. I always pictured him as a normal looking guy who sometimes had eyes of fiery caverns and stuff not CGI flame eye monster. That dream where he’s trying to get Rand to drink and the one where he’s talking to Perrin about the axe are both super creepy.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pretty sure this is a total spoiler zone. Someone even linked one of the pictures.

e: but yeah we assume the Rand/Tam speech is in Episode 7

e2:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 28, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Yep. Only Mat could sense "it"

Yea, but this theory says that the Fade was actively hiding from the 3 of them and hoping he wouldn't get pointed out.

My thought was that he had killed the family and then kept in the shadows until all 3 came in because he wanted to capture the 2 of them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I wonder if the dagger can interfere with the shade's ability to slip through the shadows.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but this theory says that the Fade was actively hiding from the 3 of them and hoping he wouldn't get pointed out.

My thought was that he had killed the family and then kept in the shadows until all 3 came in because he wanted to capture the 2 of them.

Oh, I felt the fade was hiding from the dagger until everyone popped in then it had to do something

e: cause we all know a fade's gonna be hosed up by Fain next season with that dagger and power, and it scares the dark? out of them. All just speculation

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

"It's okay to spoil things, you'll find out later anyway" is not a good argument. And it's not as obvious as you may think given all the non-readers who have put forward why they think it's Mat or Nyneave.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

"It's okay to spoil things, you'll find out later anyway" is not a good argument. And it's not as obvious as you may think given all the non-readers who have put forward why they think it's Mat or Nyneave.

I uh, definitely didn't mean to sound like I said I advocate spoiling things, sorry about that. I bitch a little in the tv thread at times to get readers in here instead cause they won't stfu

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else, thankfully, there's a whole shitload of people who don't really go out of their way to look up social media poo poo about shows so they'll probably be able to go in unspoiled for the most part

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

I got a little too caught up in 'that's not how it works' to really enjoy it (freaking out and healing Lan owned, freaking out and doing all sorts of crazy undirected healing and other poo poo while going Super Saiyan felt a bit much to me), so I'm going to try to suppress that impulse going forward and just accept that the books are the books and the show is the show as long as the show remains worth watching.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Saw an interesting thing today while I was looking up the forsaken:

Show Nynaeve

Book Semirhage

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

Saw an interesting thing today while I was looking up the forsaken:

Show Nynaeve

Book Semirhage

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I (book reader) have been watching the show with my non-book reader partner and she absolutely doesn’t know which one is the dragon. She thinks it’s Egwene because before we started watching I told her there is a big hullabaloo going on about the dragon possibly being female.

My favorite scene from the books were the ones with the Aelfinn and Eelfinn. If they don’t include the Finns in this show I will revise my whole opinion.

Also, each episode is better than the last!!!