Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
What shows did you like but now can’t believe you considered passable even to waste time?

I tried rewatching Community recently. That’s a really bad and unfunny show. None of the characters are even funny except Pierce and the smart girl, but she baby talks a lot more than I remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
I also have a strong sense that 30 rock might not hold up at all.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
The Walking Dead. Years ago I was into it week to week. Looking back on it now it was a bunch of boring filler with unlikable characters.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
parks and rec was too kind to all of the characters, all of them. nothing should ever have worked out for those terrible people

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
DBZ I guess

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Wrong

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Hard disagree OP, rewatched Community like two years ago and loved it all over again. As to your theory, no, my opinions are never wrong so shows I thought were good are always good. Case closed.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko2VGGhiAcE

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

30 Rock still holds up the writing and cast were/are all amazing.

There are some jokes that are probably a bit dated or problematic but I dont think any of them were particularly mean spirited.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

M.A.N.T.I.S.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

The Walking Dead. Years ago I was into it week to week. Looking back on it now it was a bunch of boring filler with unlikable characters.

It blows my mind people loved it at the time, my ex watched it and sweet gently caress it sucked

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

A bunch of shows I saw over and over on reruns on TVLand or Nick at Nite

The Brady Bunch
Gilligan's Island

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Burn notice was never golden age of television good but yeah if you have fond memories of that show it's best to leave them in the past

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pop punk posted:

What shows did you like but now can’t believe you considered passable even to waste time?

I tried rewatching Community recently. That’s a really bad and unfunny show. None of the characters are even funny except Pierce and the smart girl, but she baby talks a lot more than I remembered.

nah

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

games of thrones

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I could get crucified for this.

The A-Team.

I watched it several years ago and it brought me back to when I was five years old. It made me realize that the only time I liked it was when they were locked in a garage or something and made a homemade tank. I impatiently waited through the rest of the show for that to happen, sometimes it never did.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Street Horrrsing posted:

Burn notice was never golden age of television good but yeah if you have fond memories of that show it's best to leave them in the past

I'm glad I didn't rewatch it after seeing him in sicario. Sometimes we can't go back.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Valko posted:

The A-Team.

I watched it several years ago and it brought me back to when I was five years old. It made me realize that the only time I liked it was when they were locked in a garage or something and made a homemade tank. I impatiently waited through the rest of the show for that to happen, sometimes it never did.

I think that was common even at the time, what are you gonna do, change the channel and watch something more boring? READ A BOOK? Sit back and enjoy, shithead.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Muppet Babies.

Watched when I was SO young that I had zero idea what was even happening.
It was literally just 'muppets moving on the TV' to me.
On a whim maybe a year or two ago I looked up a random episode to see what it was actually like.
Oh my God.
Oh.my.god.
Aside from being nonsensical trash, the voice acting is horrifying. Miss Piggy sounds like a fat southern woman who has gargled glass for two decades scream shouting at you while grating her nails on a chalkboard with EVERY line. I have no idea how children weren't crying from this.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

My god CSI was wildly melodramatic and hosed up as well as like, violently opposed to any kind of grounding in reality. One memory that sticks out is one of the characters aggressively berating a suspect in an interrogation room for raping his daughter and saying he's gonna ROT IN PRISON for the rest of his life while he's visibly confused and upset.

She had one of those false pregnancies caused by mental delusions and he was 100% innocent. No like, apology or the character being held responsible for inflicting that on that guy, that I can remember.

(Yeah I know law enforcement gets away with horrible traumatic interrogations all the time I just mean in the context of a TV show where we're supposed to like and empathize with a character and think she's not a monster.)

That said, I loving loved it as a teenager.

I think House is similarly plagued with melodrama and ridiculous poo poo and horrible decisions that make it very difficult to like a character. I think it has some solid stuff still but a lot of it doesn't age well and it feels weird that the character of House is made to be sympathetic and likable despite all the increasingly horrible poo poo he does to not only himself but others.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm not sure if you're actually supposed to like House as though he's supposed to be your friend, he's likeable because he's flawed and interesting and well performed. He's a self sabotaging misanthropic shithead by design.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
House is Fawlty Towers in a medical setting

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:same:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Watching House now that I'm a grown rear end man and not a stoned teenager reminded me that House is actually a loving psycho and not a likeable misanthrope.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I watched OG Drsgon Ball high af I still enjoyed it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Now Hercules (the Kevin Sorbo one) is straight up anus.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So is Xena, despite people's fondness for it, and it was at the time, too.
Bite me.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I tried to rewatch Firefly recently. It does not hold up.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved How I Met Your Mother when it was on but it is unbearably twee and annoying now

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

i remember staying up and loving SG-1 but it can be pretty boring. Theres also a poo poo ton of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stalizard posted:

parks and rec was too kind to all of the characters, all of them. nothing should ever have worked out for those terrible people

ron swanson gets colon cancer

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Battlestar Galactica (newer one)

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I pity you.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Game of Thrones. The worst part was i kept watching well after i knew it was bad, because of some sense of investment from reading the books(which also got bad)

also, yeah, this was awesome when i was 10, but the men in their late 20s-early 30s that act like this show was the greatest thing ever have probably not actually revisited the show or have awful taste

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Poohs Packin posted:

30 Rock still holds up the writing and cast were/are all amazing.

There are some jokes that are probably a bit dated or problematic but I dont think any of them were particularly mean spirited.
It's even funnier than I remember. But yeah, there are a *lot* of jokes that are basically "lol, ur acting like a gay".

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I watched OG Drsgon Ball high af I still enjoyed it

I wanna say this holds up better, but cant confirm. and i'm not gonna check

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Blisster posted:

I tried to rewatch Firefly recently. It does not hold up.

It's been years since I last watched Firefly but I had a feeling it wouldn't hold up if I decided to give it a rewatch. Ah well.

Valko posted:

The A-Team.

Hell yeah buddy, me too, but with the twist I could only watch the German dubbed version and I didn't understand a word they were saying.

Another 80s show that I'm sure doesn't hold up now is the Dukes of Hazzard. I recall watching it for the cool car chases.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I dunno what wouldn't hold up about a show based around an entire car painted to look like the Confederate flag

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
All of them. I cry every night for ever liking all those problematic shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It's been years since I last watched Firefly but I had a feeling it wouldn't hold up if I decided to give it a rewatch. Ah well.

Any "geek" content that made it to network tv in the early 2000s received way more praise than it deserved. Remember heroes?