Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah home improvement was serious dogshit, but I still bet it's better than according to jim

Confirm/deny?

According to Jim is actively odious so no, Home Improvement is just part of that absurd wave of blandness that was inexplicably popular in an era where people thought the Cold War being over meant it was time to celebrate by settling into the most unchallenginh thoughtless garbage possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah home improvement was serious dogshit, but I still bet it's better than according to jim

Confirm/deny?

Belushi is loving awful and I've never bothered to watch anything more than a commercial for it that may have come on during a football game and even then probably changed the channel to avoid seeing it.
So draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I put KotH on as background noise sometimes when cooking dinner or prepping lunches. Theres enough humor in it to get a few "heh's" out of me. I dont mind the slowness of it as compared to some other animated families where they use constant quips and non sequiteur. Hank Hill is a great character whos capable of learning and growth despite himself.

But yeah I dont thinkni could sit down and give it my full attention for more than an episode.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
can't believe I loving used to like watching Barney

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

How tf did Sliders and Quantum Leap age lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Plant MONSTER. posted:

can't believe I loving used to like watching Barney

I always hated that poo poo even as a tiny piece of poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I should probably just be up front and say I could be drawn into bitching about most anything in this thread but the truth is I honestly do not watch TV shows and haven't in I don't know how many years.
Many.
I watch sports and the news. And Jeopardy I guess. I am extremely lame and old I guess. I do not watch TV for entertainment otherwise. Ever. So I don't have a lot of modern touchstones to draw comparison to. As you are probably used to, take all my opinions with a grain of salt. Just putting that out there.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I always hated that poo poo even as a tiny piece of poo poo

I loving loved it like you wouldn't believe. It's like my entire world revolved around trudging along through kindergarten just so I could get dropped off at the babysitter's and then suffering through sesame street and finally getting to that delicious morsel of Barneyean delight. loving loved the hell out of Barney and had dreams where Barney was my dad instead of my real dad but idk I finally got over it a month ago

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
30 rock season 1 aged like poo poo a bunch of the jokes are literally just “haha gay/black people”

I imagine family guy early seasons did probably did too.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Whedon literally ruined dialogue for the majority of modern blockbusters. His influence is poisonous poo poo that has bred a new wave of garbage insincerity in film because the writers are too cowardly and pathetic to allow their characters to exist within a film's universe wholeheartedly, instead they treat the plot and what happens around them as a stupid joke like they're speaking directly to the audience with every quip and crap-rear end unfunny line. It's this bizarre near third wall breaking poo poo where the writers constantly assure you that the goofy or incongruous stuff you may notice is something they noticed too.

It makes me long for the insane hypersincerity of Arnold action movies where he's going absolutely apeshit and ridiculous in a stupid rear end loving plot like Eraser or Running Man but he doesn't have to make stupid jokes about how dumb the situations he's in are.

Agreed 1000%. I just recently started watching the alien movies, Alien 3 was... not great, but I was sold on the premise of Resurrection and jumped into it wholeheartedly

Then I saw Joss Whedon's name in the title credits and thought eh, ok, maybe he didn't gently caress this one up

Within 5 seconds of Dan Hedaya opening his mouth I could hear Joss Whedon's snark-stink reeking out of the dialog and turned it off

I agree with all of your points and I also blame him for writers not having the confidence to have a deadpan straight man character anymore, everyone needs to be some sort of snarky quip machine. It's like modern writers collectively watched Airplane! and thought "Leslie Neilsen doesn't tell any jokes, NOT FUNNY, DO THE OPPOSITE"

I tried to watch Die Hard with a hardcore Joss fan and I could see their face twisting up in discomfort because no one on screen was acknowledging directly to the camera how absurd the situation was every five minutes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

30 rock season 1 aged like poo poo a bunch of the jokes are literally just “haha gay/black people”

I imagine family guy early seasons did probably did too.

The moments in Family Guy where a character suddenly stops being an insane moron and adopts a calm and measured tone of voice to suddenly lecture another character is brutally cringe inducing. I bet if I watched it now it would be torturous

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Alf is still awesome. X Files is still awesome.

The first two seasons of Family Guy that i had in my mind as "before it got stupid" are entirely garbage though. I think i just liked them because i started smoking weed in high school when they came out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Alf is a lot cooler if you picture the dad creeping out at night to smoke crack and gently caress dudes on the sly, just decompress yknow?
Then sneak back home to pretend to be uptight about the alien he lives with breaking a lamp.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The only thing about the X-Files I know about (besides Scully’s beautiful and strong shoulder pads) was that spooky rear end Flukeman that lived in the toilets. Apparently that costume was absolute agony to wear and had that horrible greasy rubber stank to it. The actor had to stay partially submerged for hours at a time.

CGI will never be able to recreate that rubber monster look.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Normally you have pretty good takes but drat dude. I'm mostly kidding, but I'm also very curious: is it the humor that changed for you? Do you still feel like the show has artistic merit?

Minus Ghibli movies, pretty much all the anime I ever watched as a kid changed for the worse for me as I entered adulthood.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm trying to recall the name of another 90s white family show, except the mom and dad are both divorced from previous marriages, and both bring along two kids to the new home. Later a surfer dude cousin moves in to the garage too.

I remember a few of the episodes, like the one where the oldest kid goes to college and drunkenly flashes her tits at a party, which her stepbrother, whom she shares a love/hate relationship with, then has to tell her and something something.

Okay maybe it wasn't so good.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm trying to recall the name of another 90s white family show, except the mom and dad are both divorced from previous marriages, and both bring along two kids to the new home. Later a surfer dude cousin moves in to the garage too.

I remember a few of the episodes, like the one where the oldest kid goes to college and drunkenly flashes her tits at a party, which her stepbrother, whom she shares a love/hate relationship with, then has to tell her and something something.

I remember this (not that particular event, but the show concept) but like hell if I can remember its name.
If someone says it, it's going to be one of those "Of COURSE it was" moments. I can tell.
I want to say the dad was very John Ritter'ish.

Edit: Wait are you talking Family Ties? Because that'd make sense but it's NOT what I was remembering for some reason.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Well, even though they retracted their statement, I'll step in here and offer a possible explanation:
It's boring, dumb, and not funny. So that may be part of the reasoning there.

This explains a lot about you.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Step by Step

Wasn’t as terrible as Full House, but very milquetoast and forgettable. Part of the TGIF lineup for awhile.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

This explains a lot about you.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

friends

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

How tf did Sliders and Quantum Leap age lol

Quantum Leap is still my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time simply because it’s aged incredibly well. I’ve rewatched it several times and it always stays consistently good. It always pulled the heavy punches and was never afraid to use slurs and graphic violence to show just how lovely and hosed up the past was for minorities and women instead of whitewashing it into Leave It to Beaver, which was rare for a network TV show in the late-‘80s/early-‘90s. QL was woke 30 years before that term entered the general vernacular.

The emotional episodes are also always well-done and never heavy-handed or emotionally manipulative. My favorite bits are when Sam runs across historical figures unexpectedly and not knowing who they are at first, like when he taught a young Michael Jackson the moonwalk or inspired young Stephen King to write several of his books or told a young Sylvester Stallone how he saw a guy use a slab of meat to box with once. It’s cute :3:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've gone back and watched 30 Rock several times over the years and it stays solid, just loses a little bit of shine as the years march on.

Probably my favorite thing about the show is how Jenna and Paul fundamentally have the healthiest, happiest relationship on the show despite being so far outside of social norms in so many ways.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

None because I had good taste as a kid. Now I've loosened up and become a bit less pretentious and allow myself to like bad things sometimes, as a treat.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Recently revisited this and there's a sweet spot of episodes that are still hilarious and the rest of it is impressively unwatchable

I don't know how a show with one and a half good seasons got green lit for 11 of them but I'm going to blame weed

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
Aqua Teen is great. Don’t read about what the artists and contributors made from it. gently caress adult swim.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Pete & Pete. I thought it was great until I watched it as an adult. I'd rather watch Star Trek Voyager without skipping a single episode or scene.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

When I was a teenager I used to watch Entourage

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Jeopardy used to be harder.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Have you watched the sonic the hedgehog cartoon from the 90s as an adult?

I always knew the writing was poo poo, even as a child, but holy poo poo it was the laziest animation I've ever seen.

Literally no background at all on half the shots.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Have you watched the sonic the hedgehog cartoon from the 90s as an adult?

I always knew the writing was poo poo, even as a child, but holy poo poo it was the laziest animation I've ever seen.

Literally no background at all on half the shots.

There were 2 of them yo, the lovely Disney version and the rad not-Disney version

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I tried rewatchibg Thundercats and it was impossible. I don't really like poo poo like Avatar but it at least has like... actual substance to it. GI Joe is just utterly worthless.

DuckTales is p good still tho

Basically all of the big 80s cartoons like Jem, GI Joe, and Transformers were rushed crap made first and foremost to sell toys thanks to the Reagan administration deregulating advertising to kids. Of course the shows were garbage--everybody involved knew they were just trying to push toys, and kids are credulous morons. It'd be more surprising if any of them weren't crap.

It's this bizarre near third wall breaking poo poo where the writers constantly assure you that the goofy or incongruous stuff you may notice is something they noticed too.

Fourth wall, not third. But yeah, "it sucks ON PURPOSE, wink wink!" is a pretty poo poo gimmick when the person making fun of how much the show sucks is the one making the show. It makes you aware of how, instead of putting in sincere effort to make the show less terrible, they instead completely half-assed it and wrote absolutely terrible self-deprecating jokes that just don't land. You don't get to say "lol this is so dumb" when you're the one who chose to make dumb because you're too much of a fuckin talentless hack to make anything better.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Horace Kinch posted:

There were 2 of them yo, the lovely Disney version and the rad not-Disney version

Anime doesn't count as a show.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chrs posted:

When I was a teenager I used to watch Entourage

I don't know if it was just because I was young at the time too and in the shows target demo, but it seemed like Entourage had a few years before opinion turned and people realized how dumb the show was.

There was a turning point in the show where they decided Vinny would never have any real problems to deal with, so that could have been an actual change in the quality of the show, but I'm not going to rewatch to confirm that.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Scrubs, how i met your mother, Battlestar Galactica (despite the v cool premise that always tricks me into trying to watch it again), firefly, beast wars (or any transformers IP), Evangelion, any stargate even though i really wanted to like Universe cause of its premise again.

In the early 2010s i was doing a ton of drugs and thought Entourage was watchable somehow.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Beef Of Ages posted:

Airwolf and MacGyver were crucial components of my formative years and are utterly unwatchable today.

Airwolf is one of those shows that I think had high ambitions but didn't have the money for it. The pilot episode is really really good. They had a ton of money and it showed. The series itself probably didn't have the same resources so they had to cheapen out on a lot of visual effects which impacted the show.

Someone mentioned Miami Vice and I think for the most part it holds up. It's not bad. There's some things that look goofy but I think that comes down to the constraints of working on tv in that time. Check out the blu-ray release if you get a chance. The show looks amazing.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
married with children

SIKE IT RULES

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Breaking Bad aged really poorly

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Anime doesn't count as a show.

Agreed. It's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

AHH F/UGH posted:

Breaking Bad aged really poorly

Lol there was a time when it was the peak of prestige TV and now it's mad corny. Still fun to watch tho