Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TVIV > He-Man & She-Ra Megathread: I’d sure like to fist him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, isn’t it about time this thread got a name change? We’ve long since moved past exclusively talking about SPoP and now it’s more a general MOTU megathread.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't help but feel like Smith isn't going to take the tack of Adora being Hordak's ruthless enforcer if the Horde crest at the end was any indication of what's coming in Part 3.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If they get a season three and it follows the hints in the finale then Hordak still exists in this setting, so it's unlikely to be explicitly linked to She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, so any Adora in it would be likely to be their own vision of her. It could certainly be influenced by the She-Ra: PoP show, but it's almost certainly not going to actually be the same one, given the finale of that show. It'd be cool if some of the She-Ra VA's returned, and Adora/She-Ra's look was based on it, but I doubt it'll go beyond that. As such, they'll probably take the chance to do their own spin on the character if they use her. Which would mean starting her out as an antagonist working for the Horde, more than likely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

If they get a season three and it follows the hints in the finale then Hordak still exists in this setting, so it's unlikely to be explicitly linked to She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, so any Adora in it would be likely to be their own vision of her. It could certainly be influenced by the She-Ra: PoP show, but it's almost certainly not going to actually be the same one, given the finale of that show. It'd be cool if some of the She-Ra VA's returned, and Adora/She-Ra's look was based on it, but I doubt it'll go beyond that. As such, they'll probably take the chance to do their own spin on the character if they use her. Which would mean starting her out as an antagonist working for the Horde, more than likely.

Given that the general feel of the series is more in line with the 80's version I'd imagine any She-Ra characters that appear would likely be based more on their original counterparts. It would be nice if they included some SPoP nods though (or at the very least a few returning VAs even if they're playing a completely different version of their character)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
True, it is all based on the events established in the 80's cartoon, so it's likely they do already have some history with the character and it'll just continue from there. As you say, hopefully they'll be updated to be more in line with She-Ra's look in the newer show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

True, it is all based on the events established in the 80's cartoon, so it's likely they do already have some history with the character and it'll just continue from there. As you say, hopefully they'll be updated to be more in line with She-Ra's look in the newer show.

I hope the same is true for Adora's voice acting as well. She doesn't necessarily need to be an adorable dork like her 2018 counterpart (though I wouldn't mind it personally) but as I alluded to earlier I would rather they not try to replicate her original voice

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 24, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I could honestly see Kevin Smith casting Melissa Benoist to be Revelations Adora because Chris Wood plays Adam and he has a tendency to 1) continually cast actors he's worked with before and 2) do casting gags like "lol, He-Man and She-Ra are husband and wife in real life". I dunno, we'll see.

Apparently he said months before the show premiered he has where the story goes from here mostly planned out already, it's just a matter of whether or not Netflix is game to keep going, which, considering its CEO is a huge loving MOTU fan and straight up told Smith when he raised concerns about all the grognards who got mad over Part 1 "gently caress 'em, they don't matter", I'd say it has a fairly strong chance of getting made.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

This cracked me up.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Yeah, that line and "Zoar-monger" from the first episode really made me cringe. And I like Kevin Smith. Fatman Beyond is one of my favorite podcasts. But someone needs to rein him back in every once in a while.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I liked it!

There were many winks to past He-Man stuff.

Wonder who Pig Boy was? When the live movie was coming out a kid won a contest to appear in the movie and he was PIG BOY, he's holding Skeletors staff. Blade Master is from the movie as well, he was the bald guy in the sewer.

When Teela becomes Sorceress her costume looks a lot more like the 2000 He Man cartoons sorceress costume.

As for Evil Lynn upgraded look is a bit like her Sorceress one in the He-Man comic years back:

Notice in that panel she mentions Horokoth? Well there are three eras in which the planet went through, there was the one of Serpos that the Snakemen worshipped, then it was zoar and finally Horokoth though it was short lived. In the cartoon that's where her bat aspect of her costume comes from.

Oh and the people that wanted Horokoth was Hordak and the horde. Evil Lynn was their sorceress. Serpos, Zoar and Horokoth was the Goddess, but each group viewed her differently. Horokoth represented destruction.

Now all that is from a different comic run than the prequel stuff I'll talk about below.

The snake that showed up attacking Zoar might have been Serpos.

Quick reminder, there was a prequel comic and it had a few details:

Skeletor is from a planet of blue skinned beings and yes they have skulls for faces. He had a family. His race was oppressed by another, until he led an uprising. They killed his family in retaliation which broke him.

It was at this point Skeletor met the Horde.

That's how he was taught, he helped invasions of other worlds.

Hordak brought back Skeletors child to shut him up about wanting his family back which he had been promised, in the end he was given a single choice. Wife or child.

The child is with the horde as is Skeletors race who are now Horde troopers, yes soldiers in horde armor like the latest She ra cartoon.

So yes, the Horde exist in this continuity but it seems most people realized that at the end of the episode.

Is it me or does that computer infection really seem like the the Fright Zone?

The comics also revealed that Evil Lynn was trained by a magic user in the sewers, needless to say it all ends bad. That's on Evil Lynn.

This is where there's also a big issue, namely the show says those people who wanted to eat Lynn as a kid were her parents. In the comic they bought Lynn from her parents, yes they still intended to eat her. She escapes and goes into the sewers where the above happens, she goes back to kill the two that bought her
only to be stopped by the old magic user, she flees and at this point we get the scene from the show where two guys chase her into the alley with no escape, in both cases Skeletor shows up and saves her, there's some dialogue. They go into the portal and they're on Hordaks ship. Hordak and several other known
Horde characters are there. Skeletor promises her power but she needs to take it, they go back to the sewers and kills the old magic user and Lynn takes the womans crystal which becomes part of her staff.

Teela manages to manifest her magic abilities and is able to heal the King who had been on the brink of death.

Oh and Teela has her memories wiped every so often by the Sorceress with Duncan and He-Man being part of it. Any time Teela gets close to knowing the secret it's a memory wipe time.

The Orlax, the big slimey creature was found by Skeletor in the Mystic Mountains. He invaded it's mind and came to realize that Greyskull castle was a facade to hide the real prize within. He knows the crystal orb is within and how to get there.

The Orlax knows many things, its ancient and see's what is coming, the last thing it see's in the comic is Evil Lynn as the sorcress with the power, she's covered but yeah it's the outfit from the show for sure.

Are we getting more episodes that will have Hordak? It's so hard to know for sure. He's in the comic as are several other characters, no Adora. Plus Skeletor has Horde insignia's on his costume both in show and comic. The problem is the rights for She-Ra etc are held by a different
party than the one that has He-Man's. It's why the She-Ra cartoon was it's own thing. Rights tend to be a fickle thing, maybe they can have the Horde including Hordak but no She Ra/Adora. Or maybe they can only really show them in the comic but again minus She Ra/Adora.
And maybe they got an agreement in place that benefits both. It's impossible to know until it happens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did Hordak have any lines in this series? And if so, who voiced him?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Hordak have any lines in this series? And if so, who voiced him?

No

He's strictly in the prequel comic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

No

He's strictly in the prequel comic.

Ah right, nevermind. Though the guy from SPoP wasn’t too bad if they wanted to bring him back next season (Keith David would also be a decent choice in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 24, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
“I’d sure like to fist him!”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of liked “What are you going to do? Ask her nicely to please not destroy the universe? [pause] ….oh my god you are”

Also out of curiosity, I know Revelation was all written ahead of time but did Kevin Smith have any contact with the staff behind the CG reboot or was the fact that the concept of sharing the power of Grayskull got used in both shows (when Adam transformed at the end of Part 2 he transformed Skeletor as well and Lyn retained her own hold on the power) just a coincidence (though I suppose you could argue the building blocks were there from the beginning considering the sword also transforms Cringer and both shows just happened to work off of that)?

The generic Horde soldiers in the tie-in comic bear more of a resemblance to their SPoP counterparts as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 28, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

I kind of liked “What are you going to do? Ask her nicely to please not destroy the universe? [pause] ….oh my god you are”

Also out of curiosity, I know Revelation was all written ahead of time but did Kevin Smith have any contact with the staff behind the CG reboot or was the fact that the concept of sharing the power of Grayskull got used in both shows (when Adam transformed at the end of Part 2 he transformed Skeletor as well and Lyn retained her own hold on the power) just a coincidence (though I suppose you could argue the building blocks were there from the beginning considering the sword also transforms Cringer and both shows just happened to work off of that)?

The generic Horde soldiers in the tie-in comic bear more of a resemblance to their SPoP counterparts as well.

As a matter of fact he did, eventually:

"Thrillist posted:

In addition to your show, Netflix also had the CG He-Man and the Masters of the Universe debut this year, which was a very different, kid-friendly take that made drastic changes to some of the characters. With that show, you got to sit back and watch someone else play in the sandbox. What was your opinion on their changes to the mythology?

Their trailer came out after people saw what we did with Masters of the Universe: Revelation. When I first saw it, all I could think was, "These poor sons of bitches." If they went after us, what are they going to do to these cats? The point of their show is, "We all have the power." And I was like, "If we got called up on the carpet, what's going to happen to them?" Nothing happened to them. And people were like, "It's a kid's show. There's a difference. That show is for kids. Revelation was for adults!" They were mad at us because we maintained that we were sequel to the original series.

Whereas He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is what they all give a pass as like, "Well, that's a kid show, and they're allowed to be creative, and they're allowed to reinvent it. But you had the responsibility to make sure the story we grew up watching was served and we didn't think you did it in some cases." So I thought those cats were going to get crucified and I felt so bad because I think the show is beautiful. I think the message is great. I was so jealous, I was like, "Wait a second. Their whole message is ‘We all have the power’? Why didn't we do that? That's great!” And they asked me to be involved, I'm a voice on the show.

I think it's more important that He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was embraced because that's the future of the franchise. Whereas we're still telling stories from the past, which don't get me wrong, that's fun to do, but if Masters hopes to continue on into the 21st century, I think it's going to be He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. The CG cartoon will have to be the standard bearer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, Kevin Smith was in the CG show? Who did he play?

Also interesting they say the reboot will be the main event when we’ve reportedly only got about two more seasons left in it. I wonder if they’ve got something else in the pipe as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Also interesting they say the reboot will be the main event when we’ve reportedly only got about two more seasons left in it. I wonder if they’ve got something else in the pipe as well.

They've been trying to get the live action He-Man project off the ground for years according to Smith in the past. So Netflix are probably hoping to use the shows as hype building machines to cap off with a movie or something.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

They've been trying to get the live action He-Man project off the ground for years according to Smith in the past. So Netflix are probably hoping to use the shows as hype building machines to cap off with a movie or something.

Not just according to Smith, it's actually pretty well documented. The thing has been in development hell since 2007.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Universe#Proposed_reboot_film

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

Didn’t Dreamworks say something about some kind of live action She-Ra remake/reboot a while back as well or was that just a rumor (seems a bit too soon to me since the Netflix show is only about 4 years old at most)?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

It sounds like it's a forthcoming character, probably in Season 2 or later. That whole interview's worth reading, honestly. Very enlightening. He talks about wanting to do a crossover with She-Ra, but like only if he can get Noelle Stevenson and her team back together for it. It's really cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tsob posted:

They need to do it while Frank Langella can still play a wise old village elder or Discount Saruman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It sounds like it's a forthcoming character, probably in Season 2 or later. That whole interview's worth reading, honestly. Very enlightening. He talks about wanting to do a crossover with She-Ra, but like only if he can get Noelle Stevenson and her team back together for it. It's really cool.

A Revelation/SPoP crossover actually sounds like it could be pretty cool. Hopefully they can get it off the ground and get at least most of the VAs back for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
hey, so did anyone mention how Adam's mom said she was from earth?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Wasn’t that something that was established in the original series?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, it's established canon that she is/was an astronaut who got lost in space and ended up in Etheria Eternia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 28, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it's established canon that she is/was an astronaut who got lost in space and ended up in Etheria.

I had a He-Man kid's book when I was young that said the same for some of Skeletor's flunkies. Beastman, Tri-Clops and Evil-Lynn. One other I forget. I don't think that one stuck anywhere, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The CG cartoon did give Skeletor’s minions real names at least (which I think may have been taken from the toys).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it's established canon that she is/was an astronaut who got lost in space and ended up in Etheria.

i never knew that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

i never knew that

It's how Christmas came to Eternia.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's how Christmas came to Eternia.

:cripes:

I actually want to hear Hamill's Skeletor saddled with two little lost Earth kids now.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I had a He-Man kid's book when I was young that said the same for some of Skeletor's flunkies. Beastman, Tri-Clops and Evil-Lynn. One other I forget. I don't think that one stuck anywhere, though.

Marlena Glenn, Biff Beastman, T. E. Scope, and Evelyn Powers, to be precise. It's in the Filmation series bible, but they never expanded on that in the show except for that one story book.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how the plot of the Christmas special is literally just "Horde Prime is mad about all the holiday cheer Marlena is spreading on Eternia, so he sends Skeletor and Hordak to go literally ruin Christmas."

And this is functionally the series finale to both He-Man and She-Ra too, because it's the last thing Filmation ever did for either show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The CG cartoon did give Skeletor’s minions real names at least (which I think may have been taken from the toys).

Yeah, R'qazz and Kronis are two of the multiple real name options for Beast Man and Trapjaw respectively. Revelation also drops Clamp Champ's real name, Raenius, a couple times too. Fisto's real name, Malcolm, isn't said in the new show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, I hope Cowboy Bebop getting walked out back and shot in the head doesn't spell trouble for a second season of Revelation. Because while they both got the same amount of pissing and moaning for the peanut gallery, unlike Bebop, He-Man was actually good and liked by critics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I hope Cowboy Bebop getting walked out back and shot in the head doesn't spell trouble for a second season of Revelation. Because while they both got the same amount of pissing and moaning for the peanut gallery, unlike Bebop, He-Man was actually good and liked by critics.

Considering SPoP lasted for 5 (even though technically two of those were just one season they split in half) despite some people impotently bitching about it I don’t think Revelation and the CG show has too much to worry about honesty (also apparently one of the major execs at Netflix is a big He-Man fan).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

While I don't think Revelation is in trouble I do wonder if in a larger sense Netflix has started to expect Arcane or Witcher-level success from shows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin spoke a bit about the writing of He-Man: Revelations in response to a fan question on this week's Fatman Beyond show, revealing some stuff that people in the thread might find of interest. Basically just saying that they had some specific things they had to include per producer instruction. Which included showing more of Adam as Adam instead of He-Man, taking both He-Man and Skeletor out of the picture for a while to allow the rest of the characters some shine and making Teela the Sorceress by season's end according to Smith. Which makes it all the funnier that people are railing against him for making GBS threads on the show's name by doing things he had to do. He speaks a bit about the writing room, and how things like Orco and Beast-Man evolved over time during production for a few minutes, with some input from Marc (who was also a writer on the show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I can not think of the last time when I looked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw the audience score lower than the critics score. MOTUR is the anti Snyder.