Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I never really understood why people become so fanatic over sport teams. What do these people get when their team wins? Why do they become so emotional when they lose? How does someone go so crazy over a sport that they can kill another fan from another team? Where does that kind of attachment come from?

It all just seems like some kind of disease to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Win or lose I'm flipping a car and setting it on fire. That is a guarantee.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Gambling, op

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its fun entertainment op

this is really simple OP are you ok?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Religion, op

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Some people define themselves as a “fan of x”. Then it becomes their identity.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's basically like politics but for smart well-adjusted people.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

I never really understood why people become so fanatic over sport teams. What do these people get when their team wins? Why do they become so emotional when they lose? How does someone go so crazy over a sport that they can kill another fan from another team? Where does that kind of attachment come from?

It all just seems like some kind of disease to me.

It's bizarre that people would want to watch to watch something dramatic in a seasonal format that that culminates in a dramatic cliffhanger that there are no spoilers for.

It's a mystery to me, op.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It’s a substitute for religious and tribal wars

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They love Hitler

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I dont know but they are extremely thin skinned and get mad af if you use the phrase "sports ball".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's for people who lead meaningless lives so they latch onto the idea that "their team" is the best and their only joy in life is seeing others accomplish something they couldn't because they never made the team; the only reprieve they find from their dead-end jobs, crippling alcholism and spousal abuse is again something they have no control over like everything else in their life.

I believe that's how my sports loving friends put it.

Go Bears!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Debunk This! posted:

I dont know but they are extremely thin skinned and get mad af if you use the phrase "sports ball".

Anime is cartoons and video games are for children

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Anime is cartoons and video games are for children

Yeah it’s like that but they get WAY madder

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

wow sports sure are petty and tribal!

*has a heated gamer moment at some Korean guy for picking the wrong big booby lady in the league of legends competition*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao people enjoy things

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

kecske posted:

wow sports sure are petty and tribal!

*has a heated gamer moment at some Korean guy for picking the wrong big booby lady in the league of legends competition*

I don’t get it. You just described the same exact thing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I did gymnastics and boxing and wrestling and they all owned but what was special about them is that they had none of the bizarre cultish behavior about teams, well I guess gymnastics did but I was really good at it and got laid by other gymnasts who weren't just chicks if u know what I mean anyway out of all the sports it seems like gymnastics had the most people banging

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sports are stupid.
Hang on
I gotta find a twitch stream that isn't poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The worst sport I played was soccer, hated that poo poo.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Sports are stupid.
Hang on

I don’t get it, they’re all poo poo

Can’t I hate video games and sports?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

bizarre cultish behavior about teams, well I guess gymnastics did

Do tell because this is surprising.

Big Beef City posted:

Sports are stupid.
Hang on

:mmmsmug: Seems like we found the sport ball fan.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Talk poo poo about my team and I'll gently caress you up nerd

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oi like chess, tea, an' crying. Now. Let me tell you about how me views about society are relevant.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Straight approved homosexuality

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

Do tell because this is surprising.

:mmmsmug: Seems like we found the sport ball fan.

Gymnastics coaches are insane, like they make football coaches look chill, the points lawyering on poo poo like floor exercise and high bar would drive parents into a furor. At the level I was competing at all the parents were absolutely loving unhinged, like child pageant level of hyper involved and obsessed with their kids' performance. This only got worse the older I got but the way some of those parents treated their kids even in elementary school was hosed up, and they would do it visibly in front of everyone else lol. It was nuts because at the level I competed at my parents being sane and just supportive instead of domineering was the exception. Teens juicing wasn't unheard of either, and it was always obvious because gear makes teens look like hosed up gross mutants lol, even more so than they already do.

Gymnastics is prob one of the worst sports you can make your kid do honestly for their mental health, at least at a competitive level instead of just for fitness and fun, the coaches are all dickheads and the level of conditioning sucks. It makes both wrestling and boxing look pathetic. I've watched videos of the kinds of conditioning football players go through and it makes me think to myself "That's it, really?" because it seems so comparatively tame. It's also really hard on your body and to this day I like strain my right trap muscle at least once a year because it never fully recovered from pommel horse, my shoulders are also crackly and poppy. Surprisingly my legs are fine somehow.

Basically, it's not that tons of people care about gymnastics in general, but the people who do are fanatical.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

It's fun to watch sports but if you're betting on it or playing fantasy or following clickbait for info, you're a degenerate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Gymnastics coaches are insane, like they make football coaches look chill, the points lawyering on poo poo like floor exercise and high bar would drive parents into a furor. At the level I was competing at all the parents were absolutely loving unhinged, like child pageant level of hyper involved and obsessed with their kids' performance. This only got worse the older I got but the way some of those parents treated their kids even in elementary school was hosed up, and they would do it visibly in front of everyone else lol. It was nuts because at the level I competed at my parents being sane and just supportive instead of domineering was the exception. Teens juicing wasn't unheard of either, and it was always obvious because gear makes teens look like hosed up gross mutants lol, even more so than they already do.

Gymnastics is prob one of the worst sports you can make your kid do honestly for their mental health, at least at a competitive level instead of just for fitness and fun, the coaches are all dickheads and the level of conditioning sucks. It makes both wrestling and boxing look pathetic. I've watched videos of the kinds of conditioning football players go through and it makes me think to myself "That's it, really?" because it seems so comparatively tame. It's also really hard on your body and to this day I like strain my right trap muscle at least once a year because it never fully recovered from pommel horse, my shoulders are also crackly and poppy. Surprisingly my legs are fine somehow.

Basically, it's not that tons of people care about gymnastics in general, but the people who do are fanatical.

This is really loving weird; I never knew any gymnasts in school (I don't even think we had gymnastics?) but it seemed like everyone on the football team busted rear end but at the end of the day just loved the sport and probably smoked weed and their parents didn't really care much, they'd support their kids at games but no one seemed to be going through loads of bullshit while doing so.

Teens juicing is loving sad and hilarious, what the gently caress.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

This is really loving weird; I never knew any gymnasts in school (I don't even think we had gymnastics?) but it seemed like everyone on the football team busted rear end but at the end of the day just loved the sport and probably smoked weed and their parents didn't really care much, they'd support their kids at games but no one seemed to be going through loads of bullshit while doing so.

Teens juicing is loving sad and hilarious, what the gently caress.

I mean most of us enjoyed the sport and most gymnasts were very chill and far better about LGBTQ people than other sports I played, but you definitely had your share of incredibly repressed kids whose parents basically treated them very militantly. A lot of kids were hoping for scholarships but those are slimmer pickings than football or basketball, so the competition was often pretty pitched.

That was the thing about gymnastics though, because the sport is so individualized, the individual pressure was a lot greater. I'm sure star football players on their highschool teams faced a lot of it too, but there was an absolutely massive gulf between the kids who just kind of competed in gymnastics as a sport just to do, and the people who were getting gold medals at state meets (which I did a couple times). There's also weird team based scoring, but that just means that "weak links" were singled out more often.

By the time I hit the end of highschool I was super burned out on it and the thought of continuing it into college sounded like a total nightmare so I dropped it, much to the chagrin of my coach who gave me a long rear end lecture about me wasting my potential if I didn't keep on lol.

And like I said before, gymnasts bang like crazy, so there was always that impetus to keep at it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Everything I know about gymnastics (nothing) I learned from the documentary Stick It with the help of Missy Peregrym and Jeff Bridges.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

itry posted:

Everything I know about gymnastics (nothing) I learned from the documentary Stick It with the help of Missy Peregrym and Jeff Bridges.

Lol some gymnastics friends and I watched that one night at their chill mom's house who didn't give a poo poo if we smoked weed and it was hysterical

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah it's a cool movie and Missy came off as quite the badass.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hell yeah sports 🏈🏉⚽⚾🏀

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I dont know op but it sucks and they suck!!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

they're the coolest and smartest

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Imagine having such a sad and meaningless life that you live vicariously through athletes playing a game you probably don’t even play yourself.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Sophy Wackles posted:

Imagine having such a sad and meaningless life that you live vicariously through athletes playing a game you probably don’t even play yourself.

Imagine you passionately sucking on my cock and balls, begging for me to deliver my seed onto your face.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I think sports fans just enjoy waddling around in enormous clothes with bright colors and big numbers on them

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Imagine you passionately sucking on my cock and balls, begging for me to deliver my seed onto your face.

This thread just got hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Most people live lives of quiet desperation and some of them need to feel like part of something bigger than themselves to give their lives some meaning. Sports fills that hole.

Also alcohol.