Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Shards are bad in other games, they're bad in Cyberpunk too. Instead of throwing a bunch of .txt on the ground and expecting me to PRESS X TO READ LOREDUMP, you should probably use that city you designed to show me all that cool stuff happening around (and with) me.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I wonder if they had planned to implement gigs as full-fledged side missions, but were ultimately forced to push them out as these gigs and had to text-dump all their story docs. The whole time through, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was a bit more behind everything, but that we're ultimately playing a half-finished game where they just pushed their assets out as quickly as possible. It's a shame too because I love the setting, and I love Night City.

I still love the game. Overall it's the best sequel to EYE: Divine Cybermancy I could've hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Funny you mention that because at the time the prevailing opinion was that it was janky and a poo poo dark-souls-lite game. Some people disagreed (just like some people don't think cyberpunk is so bad it killed their dog) but overall opinion at the time was not particularly positive. It seemed to range from "servicable" "ignorably bad" with a few people popping in to say it was intolerably bad. Which seems familiar.

Maybe you're one of the ones who liked it, like I did, but we weren't in the majority. Or maybe you just have rose-tinted glasses.

They did patch in an alternative combat mode that is way more responsive than the default. Default Witcher 3 movement feels terrible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I never understood people that say that Witcher 3 combat was bad. I thought it was pretty well done and fun. :shrug:

Fame Douglas posted:

They did patch in an alternative combat mode that is way more responsive than the default. Default Witcher 3 movement feels terrible.

You're talking about alternative movement mode? It changes the speed at which geralt turns and doesn't change combat movement at all.

If you were trying to walk in combat you were doing it wrong anyways. Short dodge was for short movement and evading and roll was for long movement during combat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tenzarin posted:

Witcher 3 also had standout combat, that was fun to play and to watch. All cyberpunk has is iron sights? It also tries to have spells in the form of hacks but at the end of the day all those are just progress bars that look the same. It also tried to have stealth like an elderscroll game but I really don't consider crab stance walking to be even close to stealth gameplay.

I will politely agree to disagree with many of the spurious comparisons people draw to give the impression that there's more daylight between these two games than there actually is, but the idea that Witcher 3's combat is better than Cyberpunk's, I'm sorry, cannot be allowed to stand.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Played witcher 3 when it released all the way on deathwish, enjoyed every second of the combat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And I enjoyed the horse races!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As someone who goes out of their way to read every possible lore dump inside the Fallout games and also did multiple playthroughs of Disco Elysium before they added full voice acting, it was a chore to try to read Cyberpunk's lore dumps. Maybe because the UI was just bad or so many of them were barely changed variations of the same theme, but they sucked. I'm not sorry for missing any story that was delivered so poorly.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mendrian posted:

Once again I have to point out that while it's not like, mind-blowing, the game asks some pretty compelling questions about philosophy of mind. You can argue other media has asked the same questions, and you'd be right, but it's front and center.

Every single issue raised in the game goes awry. "Well technology is kind of scary..even my thoughts are being written over. Wait actually the voices are useful." "Well corporations aren't bad, it's just the people at the top." And on and on. Inch deep and not a mile wide, but a mile off base.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ravenfood posted:

Funny you mention that because at the time the prevailing opinion was that it was janky and a poo poo dark-souls-lite game. Some people disagreed (just like some people don't think cyberpunk is so bad it killed their dog) but overall opinion at the time was not particularly positive. It seemed to range from "servicable" "ignorably bad" with a few people popping in to say it was intolerably bad. Which seems familiar.

Maybe you're one of the ones who liked it, like I did, but we weren't in the majority. Or maybe you just have rose-tinted glasses.

Its absolutely rose tinted. I love witcher 3 but the combat was "ok" at best. The fact you need mods to fix a bunch of the ultra tedious stuff that are core gameplay doesn't help at all (oils n potions).

Let's not pretend the story or side quests were all amazing either, a solid third of the main story is generally regarded as a total slog (novigrad). I had to complete the game in two separate stints months apart because I just completely lost interest like 60 hours into the initial play through and only just finishing novigrad. Coincidentally I finished my first play through of this in about 60-65 hours and that was exactly long enough to get all the major side quests and story options.

You don't need a 80 hour epic + dozens of hours of side quests to make a good story, I for one appreciated the shorter more focused story in CP.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shammypants posted:

Every single issue raised in the game goes awry. "Well technology is kind of scary..even my thoughts are being written over. Wait actually the voices are useful." "Well corporations aren't bad, it's just the people at the top." And on and on. Inch deep and not a mile wide, but a mile off base.

What did the game do that made you think corporations aren't all bad

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shammypants posted:

The gently caress are you even going on about

no more books
Aug 4, 2011
Got this game on sale, do the phone calls/texts ever slow down? Silly reason to be mad at the game but it's driving me crazy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i think they need to drop a trailer or actual blog post about what they are doing with the newgen version and dlc or addons or whatever. personally i think the game is a good solid game to buy on sale. it sucks because i like alot of the game/world/characters and i see that their is enough that it could be fixed but lol.

Jack Trades posted:

I never understood people that say that Witcher 3 combat was bad. I thought it was pretty well done and fun. :shrug:

You're talking about alternative movement mode? It changes the speed at which geralt turns and doesn't change combat movement at all.

If you were trying to walk in combat you were doing it wrong anyways. Short dodge was for short movement and evading and roll was for long movement during combat.

its mixed. i think 3 is much much better then 2 and obviously 1s but you kinda have to modify/upgrade to what kinda combat you want.

Marty Crane posted:

Side missions have hints of being geared towards a longer and more intricate story, but ultimately they go nowhere.

Some side-gigs will end up being incredibly dense and complicated. There's one gig where you have to take back medication, and you can either fight the PTSD-addled veteran or talk him out of it. If you talk him out of it, he explains a bit about the lore of the corporate wars and how people like him were ultimately cast aside to deal with their issues. He ends up committing suicide. Or you can just run in fighting and miss all of that. NPCs in the apartment building are also talking a bit about him as you're walking up to the building, which is something I missed the first time I played through the game. Lines like this exist throughout every gig and side-mission.

Then there are random gigs where you just have to sneak in and steal a random item and there's barely two lines of dialogue between any of the NPCs.

There's the Romeo and Juliet gig where if you sneak in, you can have a long conversation with the guy who explains how the father was out to kill him, but ended up wounding his own daughter. You can decide what to do. Some of the gigs contain a basic outline of an over-arching storyline. Like for Regina, you dismantle parts of the Tyger Claws organization, eventually killing their leader who's making snuff films and selling them. All the meanwhile, these mission locations are littered with shards that you can read that outline a lot of what's going on behind the gangs and their characters. If you're not reading all of those (and there are a lot of them), it's easy to miss a lot of the story building. It's almost like they had plans to make Jotaro or the Tyger Claws or Valentinos more fleshed out, but had to cut all of this for time so instead they just crammed their story docs into actual in-game books.

Hell, there's two gigs with Regina about some Russian fixer coming to town and you have to track him down. There are shards littered around hinting at why he's come to Night City, but ultimately it leads nowhere.

The problem is these are all indistinguishable on the map and very easy to miss. Some gigs have these cool interactions that are easy to miss if you're not playing a stealth build, while others are literally "run in, steal X, NPCs don't even really say anything". I'm stuck wondering if CDProjekt had bigger plans and had to tone them down in order to ship. It seems like that might be the case, considering how some of the random events in the Witcher 3 were these self-contained stories, and seeing how Night City is peppered with these shards that are rich in details that helped flesh out the world a bit more.

yeah. my issue is you never know what gigs will just be "kill a bunch of gangers for a shard lore" or Witcher 3 style quest. like you said, its indistiqushible and games like new AC games that took their quest system from witcher 3, understand how to show you which will be long quest vs weird short ones and always usually have weird little stories to them. like witcher 3 did.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

no more books posted:

Got this game on sale, do the phone calls/texts ever slow down? Silly reason to be mad at the game but it's driving me crazy

I was just thinking about when I tried to progress the main quest but got a call from someone to come help them, then got another call on the way to that, and after wrapping them up I got a call from another guy, and while I was talking to him I got another call, so I couldn't hear what either character was saying because they were both talking at once, then got three more calls minutes later, and then read a spoiler that the ending slides take the form of phone calls from the characters and thought "ffs sake they even call you during the end credits?"

They do calm down eventually though. I recommend driving/running all over the game world as soon as it opens up, to get the opening call with the resident questgiver out of the way nice and early

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

no more books posted:

They won't come in anymore once you've gotten all the side-quest and vehicle sale calls driving around... so basically it's gonna be a pain for quite a while and no you can't hang up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can’t remember if vehicle sales were calls at one point, but they’re definitely texts now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They were always texts. But you usually get at least one at the same time as the introduction call for entering a neighborhood.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Worth noting that none of the requests are time sensitive; if Judy asks you to meet her at 8pm, she means you can meet her at 8pm any night from now until the end of time. So the calls themselves may be annoying, but there's no real pressure to follow up right away

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

My bad, you're right the vehicle sales are texts not calls.

Also great that you couldn't jump during a call but I think they patched this at some point.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Shammypants posted:

you are too stupid to understand the plot of a AAA game made in 2020

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shammypants posted:

Okay so you're forcing me to defend this game way more than I want to but you're just wrong about this.

So some of the core questions the game asks, among others:

* Who is really the parasite - Johnny or V? V is dead; they were shot and killed.

* If you make a copy of a person, to what extent are they original person? If you merge two people, who are they? The Twins also reflect this, somewhat clunkily and obviously, I might add.

* What Johnny really wanted was immortality (in the form of petulant terrorisim) but is what he got actually immortality or no?

This poo poo is everywhere and not terribly subtle. The entire game is about where people begin or end.

Also everybody with any shred of power in a corpo in this game is cast as a villain and everybody else is a victim. And a few both simultaneously.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The game could really have used some more filtering of notifications to the player or some form of quest-gating beyond levels to reduce the notification spam at the very least. The quest density in the city is pretty overwhelming at first and it would have at least occupied player time for players to have more quests similar to Killing in the Name Of (which I think is one of the most funny quests in a long drat time in games).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Shammypants posted:

Save Takemura - he is honorable but bad. Regina is good, but she used to be a cop and left because cops are bad and she didn't want to be bad anymore. Hell, the tutorial mission has you do the DocWagon guys jobs for them and they still threaten to shoot you dead when they pick the girl up.

There are a poo poo ton of non-corporate villains. There are no corporate good guys. This is because there are no corporate good guys, and pretty much anyone with a scrap of power can be a villain in real life. They are not treading deep waters, but to say that they ever even hint at "corporations aren't bad, it's just the people at the top" when Arasaka is the main bad guy of the game. Not the people at the top, the corporation itself. As far as people at the top go, Yorinobu was at the top and was the closest you actually saw to a corpo-rat trying to be a good guy, and he was still a piece of poo poo as a human being.

The other theme people have missed beyond "what does it mean to be a person" and "what actually creates an identity" is "what has value/meaning in life?" The branching endings all play on that theme - is it better to be famous but die young/alone, live forever but betray your own ideals, or to have people who genuinely care about you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Even the whole bits about Johnny coming to terms with his legacy are kind of implied to be cross-chatter from V as he gets "wired in" to her body. I mean, I kind of find it odd that J is very definitely the reason why Alt died but remained a ghost in Cyberspace and that never really gets hashed out satisfyingly.

It kind of sucks that you don't get a chance at an ending where Johnny joins the Cyber-Afterlife as a malevolent anti-corp bit of malware

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EYE: Divine Cybermancy was brought up earlier and while I have that in my library, I think I played for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before I bounced off of it. Is that a game people actually like and defend?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy was brought up earlier and while I have that in my library, I think I played for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before I bounced off of it. Is that a game people actually like and defend?

Its delightfully insane and very earnest about it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TheAnomaly posted:

Save Takemura - he is honorable but bad. Regina is good, but she used to be a cop and left because cops are bad and she didn't want to be bad anymore. Hell, the tutorial mission has you do the DocWagon guys jobs for them and they still threaten to shoot you dead when they pick the girl up.

Regina wasn't a cop, she was a journalist. That's why her old buddy is mad at her, he thinks she sold out the anti-corp fight for The Truth to become a Fixer, while she claims she can do more for the cause behind the scenes than she used to be able to, and he's just naive.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I first played it, I had the same reaction.

The second time I played it, I sank 50 hours into it. Game's good, but you have to embrace the insanity and the Euro-Jank. You can make your character incredibly broken, and you have some fun cyberware and hacking tools to use. That's why I compare it to Cyberpunk, because to me the gameplay loops were very similar. I prefer the gunplay and difficulty of Cyberpunk to EYE, but it's still very satisfying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

2house2fly posted:

I will politely agree to disagree with many of the spurious comparisons people draw to give the impression that there's more daylight between these two games than there actually is, but the idea that Witcher 3's combat is better than Cyberpunk's, I'm sorry, cannot be allowed to stand.

It's certainly simple enough. Quick attack. Some Signs. I've heard tell there were more things to put your points into but why bother? Fun, though? Nah.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So odd people need to kick the legs out of the witcher 3 so cyberpunk has a chance to stand on its own.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The thing about W3's combat is that it's perfectly turned to Geralt's needs. He doesn't need to go around being Crackhead Yoda, so his style is pretty direct and effective.

Occasionally you get the sweet flourish of a decapitation or arm-removal, but most anything else would be unnecessary. And yeah, it's kind of Video Game Boring.

Until you get rend or whatever the whirilygig special is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Witcher 3’s combat is probably boring if you do Swords, but his “Infinite Health with Bullet Time and Infinite Bombs” build and his “Infinite Magic No Damage” builds are both right there

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a sequence in his quests where you do the dumb braindance scanning minigame several times.

I remember people in this thread near launch, when I hadn't played very far into the game at all, raving about how awesome braindances were and really looking forward to experiencing them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

jisforjosh posted:

I remember people in this thread near launch, when I hadn't played very far into the game at all, raving about how awesome braindances were and really looking forward to experiencing them.

Diving into a recording of someone's experience and seeing a playback of what they lived in real time is quintessential cyberpunk poo poo, and it's one of those concepts that lets people's imaginations run wild until they actually get their hands on it and realize that it isn't really doing anything new. After the first few I was excited to see what else they were going to do with them, but it turns out that was everything.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Diving into a recording of someone's experience and seeing a playback of what they lived in real time is quintessential cyberpunk poo poo, and it's one of those concepts that lets people's imaginations run wild until they actually get their hands on it and realize that it isn't really doing anything new. After the first few I was excited to see what else they were going to do with them, but it turns out that was everything.

Honestly, I remember the braindance sequences as being about as thrilling as having to review a filmstrip after the first one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Braindances are definitely a weird gameplay choice.

I'll disagree on them being bad per se; they're more interesting than reading a story in a book but it's really just a flashback that you get to have commentary on and experience 'first hand'. Which is actually kind of neat - it's literally a technique for showing rather than telling. More interactivity would be nice, but it's really just there to convey some critical information about a given story.

However, they're also massive speedbumps and this is particularly noticeable on multiple playthroughs. The first time you do the River sidequest you get some real weird vibes and it's very ominous and it does some excellent tension building. After the first time, you're just trying to speedrun the loving thing so you can get back to actually playing the game.

I'd say overall they are a neat idea that ought to be skipable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I watched none of the marketing for the game but I knew exactly what braindances were waterdowned BTL from shadowrun...

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Jack Trades posted:

I wanted to like it, and I did like the part that I played, but that leveling system is real loving bad. Did they fix it yet?

I kept saving points for when i need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

I kept saving points for when i need them

I kept picking way too consistent answers because that's what I wanted to actually say, which resulted in me having like 0/2/6/0 points to use but all of the skills require like 1/1/4/1 points to buy which would require me to game the dialogue mechanics to be able to level up even once and that's when I stopped playing.