Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

the wild thing is that until the last few years there was literally no grading system for robusta, and therefore no system to incentivize using the kind of care in cultivation and sorting that people do for arabica -- so fancy robusta only barely exists at the moment and we're probably nowhere near the peak of how good it could theoretically taste

also global warming's local effects are really complicated and arabica is grown over a pretty wide range of temperatures and altitudes, from what i've read it doesn't seem super likely that arabica disappears within our lifetimes, everything just becomes steadily more expensive, less good, and more economically precarious for farmers

Yeah I agree with your assessment of arabica honestly, I think people like to overstate everything even when the truth is bad enough. Yeah I'm reading up on it and it blows my mind that it had such a reputation as filler that barely anyone was even trying, fancy robusta seems like one of the biggest agricultural and culinary no brainers on earth and there's got to be low hanging fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always find it funny to recall that around 2000 "arabica" was seen as an exotic and almost narcotic variety of coffee, at least according to Coach McGuirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noxlTCXxNq4

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah I remember "100% Arabica" being made a big deal of on packaging and advertising, like oh this is quality coffee, I assume before that became the standard of even budget brands everyone was using the Nescafe dirt and burnt pinecones blend.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I wonder if it's another area where the US was in a dark ages of cheap processed products after WW2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Starbucks advertised they only bought Arabica since the 80s.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Not cross posting from the Sex Toys thread.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I like a coffee from Ethiopia – Bedhatu Jibicho (Strawberry, White Tea, Sweet), what others can explore that are equally fruity sweet in a subtle way?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

If I like a coffee from Ethiopia – Bedhatu Jibicho (Strawberry, White Tea, Sweet), what others can explore that are equally fruity sweet in a subtle way?

is it a natural or washed

from googling looks like a natural. if you like the strawberry angle i suggest anything people are selling from Shantawene that's a natural (i know happymug has a cheap one and i'm sure lots of other roasters do as well), i've had a handful of different lots from there that've all trended towards that flavor profile

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 3, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

eke out posted:

is it a natural or washed

from googling looks like a natural. if you like the strawberry angle i suggest anything people are selling from Shantawene that's a natural (i know happymug has a cheap one and i'm sure lots of other roasters do as well), i've had a handful of different lots from there that've all trended towards that flavor profile

Outstanding, thanks!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, my lovely kitchenaid drip maker is starting to piss me off because the carafe leaks where the plastic lid is sealed to the plastic, and various other reasons. Starting to buy decent goon coffee has opened my eyes compared to the lovely starbucks I had been buying up until a year ago, so I am looking to do something better on the brew side.

Looking to up my game with the Technivorm KBGV, assuming that is still the recommended drip maker for folks willing to spend. The OP says to use paper filters, and I will admit I have been using a gold filter for the last decade or so. What constitutes a "good" paper filter? Are the Technivorm ones "good"? Or should I be looking for something else? Thanks goons.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ROJO posted:

Alright, my lovely kitchenaid drip maker is starting to piss me off because the carafe leaks where the plastic lid is sealed to the plastic, and various other reasons. Starting to buy decent goon coffee has opened my eyes compared to the lovely starbucks I had been buying up until a year ago, so I am looking to do something better on the brew side.

Looking to up my game with the Technivorm KBT, assuming that is still the recommended drip maker for folks willing to spend. The OP says to use paper filters, and I will admit I have been using a gold filter for the last decade or so. What constitutes a "good" paper filter? Are the Technivorm ones "good"? Or should I be looking for something else? Thanks goons.

Technivorm is the pretty standby. It will make you very very good coffee, in 1-2 ways, forever.

The price-equivalent Breville/Sage is the one you wanna get if you want to tinker and load up on customizations and convenience features, brew modes, etc.

It’s basically down to what you want. AFAIK there isn’t a clear winner, just different approaches to roughly the same problem. The Technivorm is the Technivorm. It has a cult for a reason. It’s a design icon. It makes a brilliant cup of coffee. If you’ve always lusted after it then no substitute will do.

The Breville is the most advanced and technologically capable pour over coffeemaker currently in existence. It will do many coffee-related things very well and in Breville’s intuitive and user-oriented style.

Lots of dorks have one. Lots of dorks have both.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ROJO posted:

Looking to up my game with the Technivorm KBGV, assuming that is still the recommended drip maker for folks willing to spend. The OP says to use paper filters, and I will admit I have been using a gold filter for the last decade or so. What constitutes a "good" paper filter? Are the Technivorm ones "good"? Or should I be looking for something else? Thanks goons.

I have and like the oxo 8-cup dripper for when I make drip coffee. The 9-cup model has a timer, which is a nice additional feature. Any of the SCA recommended brewers which has your desired features is probably ok, though a thermal carafe is better than glass with a heater unless you finish a pot very quickly.

Supermarket paper filters are fine since you're probably not getting the most subtle flavor notes out of a batch of drip anyway. Save the fancy filters for pourover. If you're happy with the gold filter there's no need to change, it's just that paper filters let fewer oils and fine ground particles through resulting in a 'cleaner' brew. This is a matter of taste and some people prefer the bit more body you get with gold filter, which is fine. There's a green argument too but the gram or so of paper getting tossed out is probably not significantly worse than cleaning the metal filter.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Loved my OXO 9 cup before I decided I hate money and went espresso.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Loved my OXO 9 cup before I decided I hate money and went espresso.

Everyone itt must cultivate a disgust for money. This is the Way.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I keep buying coffee from dumb Facebook deals that make you pay $8 shipping and you get like 2lbs. I need help I can’t drink this much this fast

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I keep buying coffee from dumb Facebook deals that make you pay $8 shipping and you get like 2lbs. I need help I can’t drink this much this fast

Mason jars and freeze for smaller batches?

Test tubes for single dosing espresso and you're crazy enough?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The pre-dosed idea rocks. My girlfriend made me an advent calendar. For each day, there is a drug baggy with a pre-dosed 15g of beans, a whole bunch of different ones. Dosing is imo the most annoying part of coffee making, so that rules.

She also found decaf beans that taste really, really nice.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Lord Stimperor posted:

The pre-dosed idea rocks. My girlfriend made me an advent calendar. For each day, there is a drug baggy with a pre-dosed 15g of beans, a whole bunch of different ones. Dosing is imo the most annoying part of coffee making, so that rules.

Deets on the decaf? I am on the hunt.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

aldantefax posted:

Deets on the decaf? I am on the hunt.

Just asked her. Good news, bad news. It's a Swiss Water Guatemala variety.

The bad news is that since the roaster's store is Dutch, you probably won't be buying there. I did check though their TOS though, and if you mail their customer service, they'll give you a quote for international shippig. The good news: the de-caffeinating is done by Swiss Water using their own process. That's a Canadian company, and they seem to supply roasters all over the world. Here's their where-to-buy-page. Good luck, I hope you never have to spend evenings without a hot mug anymore.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

I actually really wanna do the pre dose thing for my wife.

She’ll never weigh out poo poo, and I’ve got a semi-auto so I can control water amount, but I wanted to make little pods for ease of use.

Anyone have suggestions for containers? I’d probably pre-grind it because she’s a heathen and won’t grind it herself.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
My Clever Dripper fell on my Kalita carafe and shattered it :(

Time for a Hario Vacuum Sealed Carafe!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I bought a $40 Instant heat + foam pitcher thing that worked fine for 2 months then crapped out. I'm now going to do the Nanofoamer + a pitcher. Most people use a metal pitcher so they can feel when the heat is right, but since I'm using the microwave I am between these two. Are there any better ones I should be looking at? I don't really care about looks, just microwave + dishwasher safe. These spouts look fine enough for newbie latte art right?

https://www.amazon.com/CHOOLD-Ceramic-Creamer-Pitcher-Serving/dp/B078JJPVMV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFFM243/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A184VL207F2WL2

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

So I bought a $40 Instant heat + foam pitcher thing that worked fine for 2 months then crapped out. I'm now going to do the Nanofoamer + a pitcher. Most people use a metal pitcher so they can feel when the heat is right, but since I'm using the microwave I am between these two. Are there any better ones I should be looking at? I don't really care about looks, just microwave + dishwasher safe. These spouts look fine enough for newbie latte art right?

https://www.amazon.com/CHOOLD-Ceramic-Creamer-Pitcher-Serving/dp/B078JJPVMV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFFM243/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A184VL207F2WL2

Interesting.. I’ve always just microwaved the milk for a minute in a coffee cup and then transferred it to a metal pitcher.

I bought a bellman steamer to see what’s that’s all about. The nanofoamer works pretty well but I feel like I don’t get the milk hot enough…I could probably just gently caress with my microwave settings a bit more, but :effort:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Legit question but is a 2 cup measuring cup not good enough?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I would prefer something I can put in the dishwasher, after our first Pyrex set lost all its gradations in the wash I only hand wash it. And it is on Mom's Earl Grey Duty every morning so I'd need her to be done before I wash it, before I could make my cappuccino.

So since I need a second vessel I figured I'd also go for something with a sharper spout for those :sicknasty: pours, in addition to the dishwasher safe benefit.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

hello everyone. I've got a weird espresso problem I've been trying to troubleshoot but have run out of ideas:
I've got a Breville Barista Express and I've been pulling shots of Intelligentsia Black Cat Classic espresso. 18g in and 36g out have been my targets. I think my tamping/distribution seems okay because I've been watching a bottomless portafilter and I haven't noticed any channeling.
However, the shots are tasting, at best, okay and they seem to be pulling way too fast. My target is around 30s and these pull in 15-20s. Even if I bump up the grind to the point where the flavors start getting blown out and the shot begins to taste over-extracted I'm still around 20s at most. Also at that point I'm at what I think is too high a pressure (the Barista Express has a gauge but no numbers, just an "espresso range" thing which I think is probably like 7-10 bar?), though I guess that doesn't matter so much.

Is this just the nature of the bean? The coffee was really cheap and picked it up because I was out of my usual, and I might be trying to polish a turd here. Also this morning my wife noticed that the bag recommends 18g in and 45g out which seems like we're in lungo territory at that point. I've had two already today so I'm done, but I'll try that tomorrow morning and see what that's like.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I probably won't buy this coffee again but if I'm making some stupid mistake and can end up pulling decent shots with it that'd be nice. I've still got most of a bag of this left and don't want to let it go to waste.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
How long ago was the bag roasted? Often you need to grind finer as the beans get old and that could be what you’re running into here, especially if the beans were cheap because they’re already stale. You can also try increasing dose by a gram or two, which will slow the shot similarly to a finer grind; you can tweak the volume a bit if necessary once the flow rate is in your desired range.

Black cat is also more of a good quality second-wave style espresso so it might not quite match your expectations if you’re otherwise drinking light roast third-wave stuff, so keep that in mind too. I’d expect more chocolate and less acidity out of it than the stuff that gets a lot of hype these days.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Roasted 11/17 and opened last Friday so definitely not fresh anymore but I didn't really expect them to be stale, per say -- but regardless upping the dose that's a good idea. I'll dose 20-21 g tomorrow and see how that goes. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got decent results out of Intelligentsia El Gallo breakfast blend, but it took a lot of iterations on my Flair:

Started 1:2.5, 200°F
2 iterations getting rough grind setting, then...
3. A bit fast, well balanced and a bit tart and funky --> go finer
4. Good speed, still a bit too tart though --> go longer
5. 1:3 was very well balanced but lost some of the flavor --> drop temp
6. 1:3 195°F perfect!

Since it's a different bean your dial-in process will be different, just saying I think you can get decent results out of Intelligentsia if you go a bit longer. I know you don't have direct temp control so sorry that part isn't helpful.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Roasted 11/17 and opened last Friday so definitely not fresh anymore but I didn't really expect them to be stale, per say -- but regardless upping the dose that's a good idea. I'll dose 20-21 g tomorrow and see how that goes. Thanks!
I have a Breville Infuser and a Breville Smart Grinder Pro, which I think is sort of just a deconstructed Barista Express. Compared to a lot of other beans I find I always have to grind Black Cat very finely and up the dose a little. I do like 19g instead of a usual 18. But I think the grinder also just has a little trouble actually getting down to really fine grind settings.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Going up to 20g was markedly better, but still fast (24-26s to 40g out) and a little tart. Tomorrow I'll go finer and try a 1:3.

I hate throwing out drinkable coffee unless I really hosed it up, but I've got to travel for work on Sunday so I'll spend tomorrow dialing it in as best I can even if that means a few dumped shots -- I do think there's something there now.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Got drunk and ordered some Vietnamese natural process 100% peaberry robusta from Nguyen. Did French press, very full body and tastes a lot like dirt but in a good way, no roast date :mad: so I'm not sure how properly I'm getting this. The thing that gets described as burned rubber is there but I think it's more of a woody/slightly astringent taste like a nut shell mixed with a fruit rind. Caffeine flavor is evident. I'm not sure I'd tell anyone to buy this but it's definitely made me want to seek out more robusta as a guy who already likes really heavy earthy flavors.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I tried to do a little searching in this thread, but does anyone in hear on a Vario or Vario-W and have they attempted to do the "hyperalignment"? I have a Vario-W with steel burrs and I notice with my pour-overs that there always seems like a good amount of fines at the top of the brew bed. I never used the ceramic burrs that came with it-- so I don't know if the steel burrs generate significantly fewer fines than the ceramics, but it makes me think that the lower burr may be out of alignment due to the drive belt or whatever else it is that people say online.

I've read through some of the Home Barista threads on the subject but I haven't found a really good tutorial and I don't want to gently caress my grinder up if I screw it up somehow.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I got a moka pot and I'm still getting used to it (apparently preheating the water is the way to go) but it makes a very nice espresso-like coffee. but the best part is how satisfying it is to hear the gurgling and take it off the stove and pour the bubbling brew

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I hate throwing out drinkable coffee unless I really hosed it up, but I've got to travel for work on Sunday so I'll spend tomorrow dialing it in as best I can even if that means a few dumped shots -- I do think there's something there now.

I love how big a difference the last few iterations of dialing in gets you, it seems alchemical. That said, milk covers all mistakes, and lengthens the "drinkability" window from mere minutes to days for my palate. I have only thrown out a small handful of shots ever, the rest go in a Mason jar for a milk drink later :)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mistermojo posted:

I got a moka pot and I'm still getting used to it (apparently preheating the water is the way to go) but it makes a very nice espresso-like coffee. but the best part is how satisfying it is to hear the gurgling and take it off the stove and pour the bubbling brew

I don't really think the preheating is necessary, i've made some great coffee without preheating.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I love how big a difference the last few iterations of dialing in gets you, it seems alchemical. That said, milk covers all mistakes, and lengthens the "drinkability" window from mere minutes to days for my palate. I have only thrown out a small handful of shots ever, the rest go in a Mason jar for a milk drink later :)

Yeah, definitely! Espresso's capacity to completely change as a drink from even the smallest procedural tweaks is unlike anything else, it really is kind of amazing.
I'll try storing the failed shots for later, too, good idea. I think if I skim off most of the crema it might store pretty well.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Any recs on electric kettles with temperature settings? Really liking the Clever and the C2 grinder (thanks thread) but hovering over my one setting electric kettle with a thermapen is now the most annoying part of my mornings.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

Any recs on electric kettles with temperature settings? Really liking the Clever and the C2 grinder (thanks thread) but hovering over my one setting electric kettle with a thermapen is now the most annoying part of my mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbel051H7-s

i like my cheap bonavita that does pretty well in this video, but the (much more expensive) fellow stagg ekg is i think the general favorite among coffee people online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Bought the OXO Adjustable Gooseneck used from a goon and loved it. Eventually got the cheap Bonavita gooseneck and also love it.