Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cosmic Thing posted:

No, seriously GOT suuuuucks. I. do. not. get. why people like it and make such a big deal about it.

iawtp. it’s cheesy as poo poo and tries to act like it’s some serious bullshit just goes it shows sisterfuckers and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I have been re-watching Scrubs recently. I think I'm going to stop after making it through most of Season 3, or start using an episode guide. It has a great supporting cast and some episodes do hold up, but overall the show is too horny. Far too many episodes and subplots dealing with JD and Elliot's relationships. Also the show is noticeably homophobic, and being grossed out by gay guys is one of Turk's defining character traits.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My ex used to watch it and Braff's acting is not for me, woof. You're right though it does have a solid supporting cast.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Zach Braff crowdfunded a sequel to Garden State and it made people real mad that he did.

Then his movie totally flopped because nobody cares about a Garden State sequel and he blamed the online backlash for the failure.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ceive posted:

I have been re-watching Scrubs recently. I think I'm going to stop after making it through most of Season 3, or start using an episode guide. It has a great supporting cast and some episodes do hold up, but overall the show is too horny. Far too many episodes and subplots dealing with JD and Elliot's relationships. Also the show is noticeably homophobic, and being grossed out by gay guys is one of Turk's defining character traits.

elliot is p hot tho

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
TRIGUN

Firefly

Dexter

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Ginette Reno posted:

Game of Thrones I guess? I haven't rewatched it ever but I'm sure if I did now it would be a lot more readily apparent how quickly the wheels fall off with that show writing-wise.

The show takes a hard nose dive right around when the books get bad. But even before then, you could see the writing on the wall that the creators were hacks almost any time there was a scene that wasn't taken from the books.

Overall the show was much sexier than the books, and that was clearly part of the appeal, but the first season's finale which kills off the "main character" helped build a lot of the interest around who would survive in the plot.

Schlong Connery fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 29, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

huh posted:

The US The Office (whenever) doesn't for the most part.

The show goes from "will they or won't they" to "they did! yay", and when I was watching it as it was coming out -- even knowing Jim & Pam would eventually get together -- it was somehow more tolerable than rewatching it.

runnypoops posted:

Clone high is still funny af.

I haven't rewatched it. My impression of it is that it was funny but ugly as sin. The flat-headed Joan of Arc design was especially off-putting.

GolfHole posted:

Oz, kinda.

I tried to watch this because my mom wouldn't let me and I was a grown-up who could do whatever I wanted now, and the spoken word poetry interludes made it unbearable.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
More like F.I.E.N.D.S.!!!

30 Rock and Kimmy Schmit are funny as hell but there's something about them that gives me pause. They're very coastal elitey and have some very neo liberal sort of morality to them a lot. Still funny in spite of that though.

HIMYM is painful to watch, everyone is just so painfully middleclass its hard to root for anyone. Oh no the trials and tribulations of an rear end in a top hat architect and his right wing canadian news anchor, their lawyer friends and that joss whedon lady!

Also I think that Neil Patrick Harris isn't actually all that amazing of an actor and is really overrated.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zeniel posted:

30 Rock and Kimmy Schmit are funny as hell but there's something about them that gives me pause. They're very coastal elitey and have some very neo liberal sort of morality to them a lot. Still funny in spite of that though.

There's at least a little self awareness as Liz Lemon constantly tries to do the clever self satisfied liberal thing and ends up looking like an idiot and making things worse, because she is actually just kinda awful and more privileged than she wants to admit.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Ceive posted:

So scrubs was a huge cultural touchstone (I'm pathetic, I know) when I was in college. While 99% of the show has passed from memory, I still have stupid scrubs jokes that I trade with my old roommates to this day.

When Braff and Faison came out with the podcast, I was actually kind of excited about the nostalgia factor and getting to hear some of the behind the scenes stuff. It took all of seven episodes to become less about scrubs and more a soapbox for Braff to show his whole rear end

I retroactively loathe scrubs and while the jokes will probably still stick around I realize the show is garbage for a lot of reasons and the creators and actors are 100% up their own butts about it

naem
May 29, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Tina Fey is very very talented; I’m not sure who either of those shows was for exactly.

Are wealthy coastal elites watching broadcast television? No? So, these are shows for regular people? Then, why is every punchline at the expense of non-wealthy-non-coastal-non-elites?

“You regular people sure are poo poo!!” -Tina Fey, while a bunch of funny people she has hired stand behind her performing a mildly offensive minstrel show

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tina Fey sucks poo poo

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Yeah 30 rock was very self aware about their shitlib tendencies. Parks and Rec and kimmy schmidt not so much

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeniel posted:

HIMYM is painful to watch, everyone is just so painfully middleclass its hard to root for anyone. Oh no the trials and tribulations of an rear end in a top hat architect and his right wing canadian news anchor, their lawyer friends and that joss whedon lady!

Also I think that Neil Patrick Harris isn't actually all that amazing of an actor and is really overrated.

Uff, HIMYM is painful for me as well but for different reasons. NPH's narcissistic character and the way he treats women is SUPER cringy. IMHO the portrayal of a character like that as humorous is twisted. Just ugh. I get that he becomes more self aware and sort of levels out in the end, but the fact that for most of the show he is doing really awful poo poo to women and the attitude from everyone is "oh, that barney, shucks" puts a lighthearted permissive spin on basically abusing women. Nope not cool.

The "Joss Whedon" lady Alyson Hannigan is cool - not in a way that makes the show cool - it just brings to mind my all time favorite show Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Not for everyone, but it has neat themes, cheesy comedy, cool intricate story line, and has this woman empowerment vibe that I like.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

chainchompz posted:

On the flipside Stargate SG1 is the right amount of cheese and serious especially in the later seasons that I can almost overlook the "white people pretending to be thinly veiled ethnic stereotypes" episodes that are unfortunately bread and butter for 90s and 2000s sci fi.

Gonna disagree there, recently watched through most of it for the first time (along with Atlantis) and while Richard Dean Anderson and Christopher Judge were the best part of the show there is a lot of filler to slog through to get to good episodes. I liked the premise of "present day earth, we can go anywhere in the universe, evil space aliens are out there and mostly indifferent towards us but if we provoke them they could steamroll earth easily so we gotta find allies and future tech" but it felt like they abandoned the premise too quickly to become XFiles chasing conspiracies on earth and running down alleys to kick down doors, Star Trek with a starship capable of warp with transporters and shields, or Star Wars when Daniel put on a robe and force dueled a bad guy while Jack flew a fighter trying to shoot the evil base's weak spot. I gave up around when Sam was participating in a wacky space race against colorful aliens.

I did like when Daniel left and Jonas replaced him as for a season felt like the writing improved and they took more chances exploring their universe. And the Groundhog Day and René Auberjonois episodes were great.

For other shows:
Due South: Charming when I was little but trying to rewatch it's not terrible but just generic 90s adventure with an odd number of chase scenes.

Seven Days: NSA has a time machine that can go back a week to prevent disasters. Not worth your time although for a pre-9/11 UPN show they had some fantastic special effects, like when a missile hits the Pentagon the CGI footage is creepy in retrospect. Had odd moments like in the pilot when a major terrorist attack wipes out the executive branch but the NBA still plays regularly scheduled games that evening so they can have a subplot about the roguish hero trying to use time travel to win a bet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Futurama

I mean I still actually like Futurama, up through about season 5 (season 6 started to go downhill, season 7 is just unwatchable hot garbage, season 8 has better writers) and I'm rewatching all of it at the moment. But man it was full of homophobia, transphobia, and misogyny from the start.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Futurama

I mean I still actually like Futurama, up through about season 5 (season 6 started to go downhill, season 7 is just unwatchable hot garbage, season 8 has better writers) and I'm rewatching all of it at the moment. But man it was full of homophobia, transphobia, and misogyny from the start.

Yeh "shockingly" misogyny racism and homophobia etc is throughout all our media. Its almost like it is pervasive in our enabled white male patriaRCHAL CULTURE!!!!! SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!!!!! It indoctrinates people into having hosed up attitudes to women and minorities who are treated like second class citizens by society!!! I will be....

oh wait wrong meeting...

yeh uhh futurama. yeh it doesnt age well.

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 1, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Production companies should do what they did with the old racist Looney Toons cartoons and put a disclaimer at the beginning of everything made before 2015 explaining it was a different time and the views expressed are bad and wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Weeds is probably my biggest personal miss. It went on long enough that I came around to how bad it was while it was still airing but I still saw it through to the end anyhow. I'm sure it's even worse than I thought at the time, though.

HD DAD posted:

Production companies should do what they did with the old racist Looney Toons cartoons and put a disclaimer at the beginning of everything made before 2015 explaining it was a different time and the views expressed are bad and wrong.

I was going to say that they should just preemptively slap a disclaimer on it as it's airing but then I realized I just described South Park

(I guess South Park also applies but I'm not really counting stuff from when I was a dipshit kid who didn't know any better, only shows I watched as an adult.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 1, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Tina Fey sucks poo poo

Hey! You're right!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
FUCKIN
REAL
IDIOTS
EATIN
NACHOS
DIP
poo poo

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
My name is Earl
I just liked the premisse I guess. Does anyone else even remember that poo poo? Did anyone else watch it? Does it hold up? Big doubt. That whole thing when he went to jail? It was a little different but i dunno if it really worked.

It's about time for a 2022 reboot, but now It's my name is Cho and it's the worst asian stereotype main character from hell. I generally hate sitcoms it's just absolute dirt.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leper Go-getter posted:

I generally hate sitcoms it's just absolute dirt.

Dude, watch What We Do in The Shadows and tell me that's dirt!

It uses the mockumentary format in the sitcom genre and its absolute gold IMHO.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Cheers
I have no idea how it has held up but it was on when I had to do homework in elementary and it was good to have on in the background. I've always liked Woody Harrelson because his character was so nice in that show.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

idk how popular Leverage was when it was on TV, but literally every episode is the same exact formula and there is zero character development

bad guy doing bad guy stuff
leverage team runs a con with goofy characters
a character is in danger for exactly one scene
offscreen flashback twist
bad guy goes to prison

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 1, 2021

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Leper Go-getter posted:

My name is Earl
I just liked the premisse I guess. Does anyone else even remember that poo poo? Did anyone else watch it? Does it hold up? Big doubt. That whole thing when he went to jail? It was a little different but i dunno if it really worked.

I remember watching this mainly because it was one of the first batch of shows that started being broadcast in HD and we had our first hdtv. Same with Ugly Betty. I have no idea if these shows were any good but we were still in the honeymoon phase where the picture just looked amazing.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Quantum Leap is still my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time simply because it’s aged incredibly well. I’ve rewatched it several times and it always stays consistently good. It always pulled the heavy punches and was never afraid to use slurs and graphic violence to show just how lovely and hosed up the past was for minorities and women instead of whitewashing it into Leave It to Beaver, which was rare for a network TV show in the late-‘80s/early-‘90s. QL was woke 30 years before that term entered the general vernacular.

The emotional episodes are also always well-done and never heavy-handed or emotionally manipulative. My favorite bits are when Sam runs across historical figures unexpectedly and not knowing who they are at first, like when he taught a young Michael Jackson the moonwalk or inspired young Stephen King to write several of his books or told a young Sylvester Stallone how he saw a guy use a slab of meat to box with once. It’s cute :3:

I've been watching some Quantum Leap to see if it holds up, I was too young to get it but I remember my mom watching it religiously. It's a good show and you're absolutely right about the sensitive topic stuff. It's not perfect, but holy gently caress it's better than most poo poo written in the mid 2000s by a mile

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Quantum leap owns I used to watch it on comet all the time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Leper Go-getter posted:

My name is Earl

It's about time for a 2022 reboot, but now It's my name is Cho and it's the worst asian stereotype main character from hell. I generally hate sitcoms it's just absolute dirt.

I rewatched the first season about two years ago with my wife (who hadn't seen it) and I think it's ok? I'm not sure it was ever "good" so much as it was just something different.

Cosmic Thing posted:

Dude, watch What We Do in The Shadows and tell me that's dirt!

It uses the mockumentary format in the sitcom genre and its absolute gold IMHO.

OK, it's dirt.

The movie was an entertaining 90 minutes but the premise isn't really enough to sustain much more than that, and the show doesn't really capture the low budget charm of the movie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"I am willing to poop"? "I am watching terrible programs"? "I am Worf, true protector"?

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the holy poopacy posted:

OK, it's dirt.

The movie was an entertaining 90 minutes but the premise isn't really enough to sustain much more than that, and the show doesn't really capture the low budget charm of the movie.

Oh drat I actually like the series better than the movie. Both are decent in my book tho. But I mean no life changing poo poo is happening to anyone from watching sit coms... so I kinda see your side? :)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cosmic Thing posted:

Oh drat I actually like the series better than the movie. Both are decent in my book tho. But I mean no life changing poo poo is happening to anyone from watching sit coms... so I kinda see your side? :)

I liked the movie and the series had some ridiculous high points, with the Mark Hamill ep being pure gold. But yeah the latest season seems to have lost a few steps and it feels like the premise has run out of ideas.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

"I am willing to poop"? "I am watching terrible programs"? "I am Worf, true protector"?

Umm dude... it means In alliance with the pope. where have you been?!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
On the flip side of the thread topic, I rewatched the first few episodes of Girls, and it’s great. I loved it when it first came out, but my opinion steadily declined as the show progressed and it became apparent that Lena Dunham actually was just Hannah Horvath. The lack of critical distance between the artist and her art made it seem trite in hindsight.

The first season, at least, is great though. The sex scenes are genuinely awkward—just toxic enough to be interesting and realistic without preaching that “this is wrong”

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked the movie and the series had some ridiculous high points, with the Mark Hamill ep being pure gold. But yeah the latest season seems to have lost a few steps and it feels like the premise has run out of ideas.

Oh yeh yeh that was good. Also The Trial episode and the earlier part of the Baron's storyline esp that moment where he asks, "You know what i've always wanted to try?" and without skipping a beat Lazlo says, "Coprophilia?" I lost it!

But I am having the same thoughts about the new season. Im hoping I am wrong though because Taika Waititi is awesome and that show has been killin it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Junk posted:

aqua teen is like the ultimate stoner show. what on earth about it has actually aged poorly?

Can't age poorly if it always sucked. :discourse:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cosmic Thing posted:

Oh yeh yeh that was good. Also The Trial episode and the earlier part of the Baron's storyline esp that moment where he asks, "You know what i've always wanted to try?" and without skipping a beat Lazlo says, "Coprophilia?" I lost it!

But I am having the same thoughts about the new season. Im hoping I am wrong though because Taika Waititi is awesome and that show has been killin it.

This is basically why I love that show. It's a vehicle for Taika Waititi's dialog and the characters are hilarious. I think Lazlo just gets funnier all the time, and the last few episodes where it really gets into his relationship with Colin Robinson were as touching as the show could possibly allow.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Saw a lot of the US The Office lately and I would say about 40% of it still made me laugh and it had some unexpextedly good plots, but it is way more torturously formulaic and filled with sociopathic characters we are supposed to like than I remember.

Back then I was yucking it up over Michael's inappropriateness, now it's all just a grim reminder of the unending daily horrors of wage slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cosmic Thing posted:

Yeh "shockingly" misogyny racism and homophobia etc is throughout all our media. Its almost like it is pervasive in our enabled white male patriaRCHAL CULTURE!!!!! SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!!!!! It indoctrinates people into having hosed up attitudes to women and minorities who are treated like second class citizens by society!!! I will be....

oh wait wrong meeting...

yeh uhh futurama. yeh it doesnt age well.

Do you have any specific examples of it not aging well? I haven't rewatched Futurama and I'm afraid to now.