Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

itry posted:

Could you include the couple of seconds with MCH too?

https://i.imgur.com/QjWNFmA.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/txLXdP4.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thanks. It's perfect. :allears:

Edit:

Devorum posted:

The white hart/stag is a symbol of purity and being allowed to touch one symbolizes redemption. Arthurian knights were always seeking them out to prove how pure they were.

It's a pretty hamfisted way to show Dexter seeking to purify his soul. Of course, this being Dexter, once he has done so, he immediately dirties it back up because some douche symbolically murdered his symbolic redemption.

Oldish but neat post. Any other Arthurian allusions happening this season?

itry fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 29, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

PostNouveau posted:

That was the best episode so far!

A lot of ways they could go with this. I kinda suspect this is all Harrison's long-term plan to get revenge on Dexter for abandoning him. A possible deathbed confession by Hannah that Dexter was a serial killer (maybe she's not even dead). Maybe Harrison is out to expose him.

I'm hoping for as campy an ending as possible obviously.

Given Dexter abandoning Harrison and disappearing and that Rita didn't exactly fit Trinity's pattern it's possible that he thinks Dexter killed her, I could see it, though I don't know that they'll go that way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JaddaCaddra posted:

"I totally get that."
"I totally get that."

I thought this was pretty clever tbh. He's relaxing the partition between his interior and exterior selves, and lowering his guard around his son.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh I just remembered something I thought was interesting was how Harrison's speech was set over shots of other things happening in town, making it feel very much like one of Dexter's end of arc internal monologues.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope they reveal that John Lithgow (who we know is going to be appearing) is Harrison's dark passenger. I don't know how it would make sense but I want to see it, okay

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Another decent episode. I don't know what to do with myself.

The scene recreating the crime with Deb was nicely done.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Argue posted:

I hope they reveal that John Lithgow (who we know is going to be appearing) is Harrison's dark passenger. I don't know how it would make sense but I want to see it, okay

This, except Lithgow is playing his Third Rock from the Sun character

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Argue posted:

that would be so good

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope it turns out Harrison is not actually a perfect psychopath with a dark passenger and he’s just a normal adultified kid who told a tall tale because he was freaking out.

Or that’s what I would hope if I wanted the show to be any good, what I actually want is maximum stupid. Have Hannah be Harrison’s dark passenger and also alive and have a scene where she shows up and Harrison doesn’t realize she’s there until Dexter shows up and reacts to her presence.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m still enjoying this. Wanted to vent about the silliness of an amber type alert going out and the whole town flipping out. Completely unrealistic and a phone call to Dexter would have achieved the same thing. Just a silly moment for no reason.

I didn't find it silly, I've had an emergency alert come up on my phone when a nearby school went into lockdown due to a violent suspect or some-such nearby, and I didn't go to that school nor do I have kids.

PostNouveau posted:

That was the best episode so far!

A lot of ways they could go with this. I kinda suspect this is all Harrison's long-term plan to get revenge on Dexter for abandoning him. A possible deathbed confession by Hannah that Dexter was a serial killer (maybe she's not even dead). Maybe Harrison is out to expose him.

I'm hoping for as campy an ending as possible obviously.

This season has been really strong, I'm glad they're keeping the scope of the show smaller and also they are not trying to have Dexter non-suspiciously murder half the town.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Argue posted:

If they do that he can't be anything like the actual guy. Harrison has no idea what he was like and no one got to interview him or anything. It'll be just his personal bogeyman.

Watch it be a Vladimir Harkonnen kind of thing.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I hope it turns out Harrison is not actually a perfect psychopath with a dark passenger and he’s just a normal adultified kid who told a tall tale because he was freaking out.

Or that’s what I would hope if I wanted the show to be any good, what I actually want is maximum stupid. Have Hannah be Harrison’s dark passenger and also alive and have a scene where she shows up and Harrison doesn’t realize she’s there until Dexter shows up and reacts to her presence.

The -6th sense.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m still enjoying this. Wanted to vent about the silliness of an amber type alert going out and the whole town flipping out. Completely unrealistic and a phone call to Dexter would have achieved the same thing. Just a silly moment for no reason.

i didn't find that unrealistic at all. those alerts do exist and in a small enough town where everyone's kids go to the same school people would be freaking out

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

itry posted:

Edit:

Oldish but neat post. Any other Arthurian allusions happening this season?

Not that I've noticed, unfortunately.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It's nowhere near the dumbest thing this show has done, but the podcaster not recognizing Dexter as the husband of Trinity's last victim after specifically talking about the family is killing me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Measures were presumably taken to protect Harrison's identity.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Phoix posted:

It's nowhere near the dumbest thing this show has done, but the podcaster not recognizing Dexter as the husband of Trinity's last victim after specifically talking about the family is killing me.

That's because she's Trinity's daughter who has been looking for her dad ever since he disappeared in the hopes of reconcilliation. She's there because she recognizes Dexter, who is her last link to her father. Everything else she does is just a cover for this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate this whole "bathed in blood as baby = killer" thing. Look, we could kill every baby's parents in front of them and let them sit in a pool of blood and the bad part of that will always be not having parents -- the kid doesn't care about the blood, I'm pretty sure babies would smear blood all over themselves the same as peanut butter or lotion if you had bottles of it around. Kill whoever you want in front of your kid if he's young enough, that's not a "think of the children moment!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm rooting for Harrison to be normal somehow.l and there being a good explanation for what happened.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm rooting for Harrison to be normal somehow.l and there being a good explanation for what happened.

Me too

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

It’d be a nice twist, but I have a hard time imagining a convincing explanation as to why he would have lied about finding out about the list at school that morning.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"He freaked out and thought he'd get in trouble if people knew he had reason to suspect anything beforehand and/or hadn't acted entirely in self-defense" pretty much covers everything, particularly given that he's a troubled teen. Even pretending Hannah was a saint, he clearly bounced around abusive homes and a garbage foster system, which teaches kids to never trust authorities and always lie to cover your rear end, because you're the one who gets in trouble if you lash out.

The show won't go there and he's definitely a kid psycho who is obsessed with straight razors due to events happening to him as a baby that he could not possibly have the capacity to recall or analyze, but it's the reasonable answer.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 29, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

In my mind the bullied kid has a knife and is like "hooray gonna go get my guns and light this candle." To stop him, Harrison slashes him with the razor he's got for hosed up reasons, realizes the inquiry is going to go where he doesn't want it to go, so he grabs the kid's knife and does the needful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also hope it was just that Harrison realized Ethan was going to end up being a school shooter and was just trying stop it before it became a problem or something. But the straight razor and where he cut Ethan makes it seem like this is him awakening and becoming a killer or some dumb poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Harrison did it the way Dexter thinks it went down. I can't recall a time that Dexter was wrong about a crime scene reconstruction.

Hopefully his motives are better than that dumb "born in blood" poo poo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wasn't it suggested or even explicitly stated in the last season that Dexter's dad hosed up big time and that by introducing the code and pushing Dexter down the path he basically ensured that he would be a serial killer when I wasn't actually inevitable in the first instance?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's definitely going to turn out that Harrison did what he did and lied about it because he's growing into the psychopath he was always meant to be, but it will never be the rational explanation. Pre-emptively attacking someone who has made it clear that they're going to do a school shooting and covering your tracks is a perfectly understandable reaction, even if it can be argued that a less dangerous option existed.

Breetai posted:

Wasn't it suggested or even explicitly stated in the last season that Dexter's dad hosed up big time and that by introducing the code and pushing Dexter down the path he basically ensured that he would be a serial killer when I wasn't actually inevitable in the first instance?

I'm sure the idea that Harry hosed up was suggested at some point, and the sane person's reading of season 8 was that he and Charlotte Rampling were absolute loving lunatics, but I'm pretty sure the intended message was that they did right by the boy in the end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

At this point Harrison not being a psycho and Dexter not screwing it up would be both subversive to previous plots and also heartwarming. I have to assume that we're back with this character because the original show runner has some affection for him. It would be weird if that leads back to the same old resolution.

Also, there was a whole minor plot point about Dexter not believing Harrison didn't cheat.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The guns were at home. If he really planned to shoot up the school, there was a lot of time to do something about it. Maybe something less drastic than slashing an artery.

Edit:

At this point Harrison not being a psycho and Dexter not screwing it up would be both subversive to previous plots and also heartwarming. I have to assume that we're back with this character because the original show runner has some affection for him. It would be weird if that leads back to the same old resolution.

Also, there was a whole minor plot point about Dexter not believing Harrison didn't cheat.
Harrison could still be a "psycho", with the subversion being Dexter actually helping his good side overcome his bad side (as opposed to what Harry did).

Irony Be My Shield posted:

...accepting that Harrison can live a regular life even if he did have a troubled upbringing could amount to him rejecting Harry's code.
Or realizing Harry was wrong.

That stuff feels pretty final though, and MCH is being all mysterious about whether more seasons are being planned or not.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 30, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Breetai posted:

No idea about s8 but Dexter has been struggling with this idea this season, given that he went 10 years without killing everyone and is constantly going back and forth in his mind about whether Harrison is a monster. I think Harrison almost certainly isn't but I'm very interested to see what conclusion Dexter the character arrives at - accepting that Harrison can live a regular life even if he did have a troubled upbringing could amount to him rejecting Harry's code.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 30, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm almost positive Dexter got the splatter analysis wrong by fitting the evidence into his preconceived narrative and we'll get a scene where Harrison gives an explanation that also fits the blood spatter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope Harrison's dark passenger is a very poorly 3d animated talking straight razor.

Voiced by Lithgow.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it would be funny if the much-ballyhooed john lithgow cameo was just that archival picture of him in the podcast artwork

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Harrison is 100% a murderer, and I suspect probably offed Hannah too. But the show is gonna be playing it ambiguous as to whether his kills could be righteous kills or not (they're not).

Most of the season is going to be a emotional tug of war between Clancy Brown, town paterfamilias and local psycho, and Dexter, who'll be fighting over how to raise Harrison. And also just doing murder mind games.

Then Dexter kills the kid or the kid kills Dexter, or maybe Johnny Sequoyah kills Harrison to show what a well raised kid is like. Show ends.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I just marathoned six feet under so I'm trying to shake 6 seasons of gay Dexter out of my head. When he said, "he has my dark passenger" I couldn't help but laugh. It really cemented Michael C. Hall's range to me and I'm surprised he hasn't done more work.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It's going to play out exactly like dexter said. The kid didn't die so its kinda like whatever for Harrison and now dexter gets to train him to kill bad guys

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I just marathoned six feet under so I'm trying to shake 6 seasons of gay Dexter out of my head. When he said, "he has my dark passenger" I couldn't help but laugh. It really cemented Michael C. Hall's range to me and I'm surprised he hasn't done more work.

I've always thought it fitting that MCH got to be in one of the greatest finales of all time, and one of the worst of all time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Seriously where the gently caress is MCH as Dr FrankNFurter he has the perfect weirdness for it and as a former broadway actor he has the singing and acting chops.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If Harrison did not perform the actions that Dexter's blood spatter analysis is suggesting, then this show has thrown me worse than the time I got thrown by Edward James Olmos being dead in old Dexter because he was shown talking on a cell phone. I forget if that was before or after the time Dexter let head Dad out of the passenger seat of his car on the side of a highway but this show sure used to love really stupid subversion caused by extremely unreliable narration. I'd rather the new season's showrunner find that poo poo trite and pointless and avoid pulling gotchas for the sake of gotchas.

On top of that, it's hard to think of Harrison as being an innocent hero cutting Ethan off at the pass when all the Mary Sue perfection he's had up until this point should undermine throwing Ethan under the bus just to be a hero. He shouldn't only be a psycho, he should be better at it than Dexter. That's what I'd like to watch, anyway.

Also, the alert on the phone is absolutely stupidly super unrealistic. The alert sound wasn't set to 250% volume and ultra annoying. The show's alert was so calm by comparison it could lull a baby to sleep.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

You should check him out in Gamer. Real good poo poo, there. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

On top of that, it's hard to think of Harrison as being an innocent hero cutting Ethan off at the pass when all the Mary Sue perfection he's had up until this point should undermine throwing Ethan under the bus just to be a hero. He shouldn't only be a psycho, he should be better at it than Dexter. That's what I'd like to watch, anyway.

Harrison's pretty incompetent tbh. He's using the town's bigotry against it, hoping that they'll not look into the issue further because they're already biased against the weird kid. But it took Dexter -- who's probably a bit too good at his old job, if also probably rusty -- about five minutes to find two large inconsistencies in Harrison's statement, and that's the kind of poo poo a lawyer would make hay out of in court.

There's also the issue of the kid not having any guns at school, and the wounds being inflicted by a weapon that wasn't found at the crime scene. A half decent investigation would result in assault charges being levelled against Harrison, but, again, these cops aren't competent.