Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

lol some guy in the comments is immediately like "this guy is arguing for capitalism, against corporatism." Impressive.

Anyway what will it take to start breaking these companies up or start nationalizing them? Anything? Can't we do a quick revolution because surely everyone wants better movies and shows again.

Seeing as how they are currently shoveling as many human lives as they can into the boiler fires of Capitalism’s furnace while the richest dozen guys race bathtubs to outer space, I think we are probably hosed.

In other news I finally started For All Mankind and it’s pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

self-censoring to be more family friendly (which is essentially what basic cable does now)

I've heard "poo poo" uttered at times and places on cable I've never thought possible over the past few years. Movies on cable are slowly becoming uncensored which after years of hearing Shawshank either chopped up or over dubbed, is taking some time to get used to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

First two episodes of Hawkeye are surprisingly low stakes and fairly boring. Hailee Steinfeld is better than this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I've heard "poo poo" uttered at times and places on cable I've never thought possible over the past few years. Movies on cable are slowly becoming uncensored which after years of hearing Shawshank either chopped up or over dubbed, is taking some time to get used to.

I mean, Shang Chi used the word "poo poo" at one point; it's notable though that USA has gone from notncensroing the c-word in Mr Robot to censoring it in Chucky.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
YELLOW

*pauses for dramatic effect*

JACKETS

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

YELLOW

*pauses for dramatic effect*

JACKETS

I came here to see if there was a thread.

It’s pretty loving intense. I’m hesitant cause I hate disappointment, but these first three episodes have got me pumped.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It’s gonna be such a bummer if they don’t stick the landing (heh)

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mayor of kingstown

so its pretty interesting. I'd say that it rises to the realism of a show like the shield... which my decaying memory says is a bit more believable than yellowstone. Pretty compelling concept for a show. Can't think of anything exactly the same. I have heard of ex-cons that consult to first time prisoners but never a go-between for all the sides. Each episode has been better than the last so hopefully it builds into a properly legit show. Right now I would agree with the 7.8 on imdb.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Ah, thank god. See I read that Peter Jackson had to fight D+ to include the Beatles cussing on that new doc he did, and the streaming services self-censoring to be more family friendly (which is essentially what basic cable does now) would loving ruin TV again. Stellan Skarsgard also said some poo poo like that is already going on in an interview the other day.

https://twitter.com/matthew_lucas/status/1464020218842386439

Yeah this is really the only worthwhile argument in regards to the ubiquity of superhero movies being negative. They're the only ones opening in the theaters bc corporate can bank on them making a certain ROI.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Love Yellowjackets opening credits

I really really really hope this gets renewed

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 28, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Liking Yellow Jackets so far but the future/past framing device is really starting to wear thin. The future intermissions feel like jumps to a much less interesting show that I'm not really interested in watching.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MiddleOne posted:

Liking Yellow Jackets so far but the future/past framing device is really starting to wear thin. The future intermissions feel like jumps to a much less interesting show that I'm not really interested in watching.

I can see that, but I’m willing to wait to see if it builds to something and right now I kind of like how it lulls me into a false sense of security before slapping me in the face with teenage cannibal woods cult stuff.

“Huh wow this lady’s marriage is falling apart that sucks for he-“
*shot of a 17 year old blonde woman stalking through the snow, covered in blood and animal hides with a spear salvaged from airplane parts*
“Well, gently caress!”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I enjoy the Ricci/Lewis double act and everything related to it but Lynskey, as great as she is, needs to become part of the main storyline fast because the whole affair thing isn’t v interesting

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/bigdybbukenergy/status/1464689070534234119

https://twitter.com/FrazLugay/status/1464745083681579013?t=OnZ8EGYjviblzDbJHmsu-w&s=19

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is watching OG Dexter for whatever reason, and for all of the criticisms I've heard about this show the most offensive thing to me thus far is that they play the opening credits and then do the recap, and not the other way around. Barbaric IMO.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MiddleOne posted:

I disagree! I'm finding the present stuff more compelling because at this point all of the lost stuff feels like it's just building to Warlord Misty which I am obviously all for. But I wonder how much juice is in that. (speculation) Maybe we get a split off tribe? The present day narrative seems to have more potential.

Also because Christina Ricci is so much fun.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also Amazon has 2 months of Showtime for .99 on a deal through tomorrow. That should be enough to get you through the season.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Also Amazon has 2 months of Showtime for .99 on a deal through tomorrow. That should be enough to get you through the season.

Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one doing that exact plan.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/1465125002093600770

My brain refuses to accept this. What the gently caress.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Ah, thank god. See I read that Peter Jackson had to fight D+ to include the Beatles cussing on that new doc he did, and the streaming services self-censoring to be more family friendly (which is essentially what basic cable does now) would loving ruin TV again. Stellan Skarsgard also said some poo poo like that is already going on in an interview the other day.

Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted censors "gently caress" but I think all of the other curses he says are still there. I think the fact that it's in the National Geographic section and not one of the "main" Disney+ channels helps.

C-Euro posted:

My wife is watching OG Dexter for whatever reason, and for all of the criticisms I've heard about this show the most offensive thing to me thus far is that they play the opening credits and then do the recap, and not the other way around. Barbaric IMO.

The open credits are by far the best part of the show, so maybe they realized they needed to lead with them to rope viewers in.

One of my favorite bits of Dexter was when he's sleep deprived after Harrison is born and he tries to recreate the opening credits but keeps messing things up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A marketing company called Digital Kitchen created the intros for Dexter, Six Feet Under, and True Blood. They were on a roll for a while.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just watched the opening credits to Dexter and ahhh god I definitely should not rewatch it even if I liked it in college

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the key is to stop short

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm really enjoying Mayor Of Kingstown

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Qmass posted:

the key is to stop short

Why stop short? Season 4, it's final season, was really good!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has anyone else been watching Guilty Party? It's very much in that Weeds/Big C/Nurse Jackie mould of great forty-something actress + half hour comedy + high stakes drama, with Kate Beckinsdale taking up the role of "great actress".

And, you know what, she's actually really loving good as the terribly broken, compulsive lying danger monkey, laughed out of her job reporter. There's some dumb gestures at comedy early on, but it settles into a more cutting, emotional register around about second or third episode while still being a bit light. It's no Blindspotting like hidden gem, but it's pretty decent.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this looks like the Adult Swimmiest show not on Adult Swim yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAr3-4egRU

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell yeah loving love Kyle Mooney. I've been kind of surprised he's been on SNL so long given how esoteric his characters and bits are. Beck Bennet always seemed like the more normie guy of the duo and he shows up in so many sketches I was surprised he was the one to leave first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc61ONXClhA

That's such a perfectly realized character and a great joke

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch Brisgby Bear everybody

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hells yeah. Hopefully USA renews it, it's doing good numbers for them.

Renewed

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have a fire stick HD and the hulu app keeps doing this thing where an episode of a show will reach an act break and when it resumes from the cut the audio is gone and the app will freeze/become unresponsive and the only way to fix this is to restart the fire stick? I don't know if it's the fire stick or the app, it only seems to happen with hulu and I've reinstalled the app a few times at this point. I just want to check if anyone else has experienced this before I decide to get another stick or a different streaming device.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It makes me laugh thinking about how Netflix thought basing a series of shows around the works of Mark Millar was a good idea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chucky got renewed for season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Woo!

GreenNight posted:

Chucky got renewed for season 2.

Still woo!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

the saved by the bell reboot continues to be really loving good but no one i know will watch it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PEN15’s upcoming set of season 2 episodes will be the show’s last. Interestingly, Hulu were all ready to renew for s3, but Erskine and Konkle decided to end it here.

South Side season 2 is a big improvement but also it’s so weird and I hardly ever know what’s going on

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

South Side is fantastic and as someone who was born and raised in the land, I can confirm the confusion adds to the realism of living there.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Sankis posted:

the saved by the bell reboot continues to be really loving good but no one i know will watch it

Since my wife had to work over thanksgiving I ended up bringing both seasons of it and, as someone who grew up with the original, I had a LOT of feelings about it.

It’s way better than it has any right to be. It also has a lot to say about how terrible the original show/characters could be, which (in hindsight) is on point. But still makes me feel weird for being so invested in it at one point in my teen life.

Also it’s 100x funnier than the original

Other things I binged over the holiday:
The Beatles Get Back doc is incredibly fascinating. After 8 hours I could have happily watched 8 more. I can’t imagine anyone who isn’t a Beatles fan enjoying it, but I found it engrossing as hell

Finally got the AS app to cooperate and caught up on Joe Pera(balls). Continues to be the best show on tv.

Finished The Great s2. Absolutely fantastic, hilarious, and horrifying all at once

On the other end of the spectrum, Locke and Key s2 was absolute garbage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1465663150280396810

King

It's really weird seeing TV ads for crypto and sports betting all of a sudden. Like someone flipped a switch somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1465663150280396810

King

It's really weird seeing TV ads for crypto and sports betting all of a sudden. Like someone flipped a switch somewhere.
I saw House of Gucci this past weekend at an AMC theater and there was an ad for crypto.com before that. That was loving bizarre to see.