Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can I pay them extra not to get the NFT? And also not to watch Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Paladinus posted:

Can I pay them extra not to get the NFT? And also not to watch Spider-Man?

one weird trick to get both of those for free! movie companies hate him!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is this an NFT?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFqrbLJCZM

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sombrerotron posted:

they're not the same (animation versus static image), so it'd just constitute violation of intellectual property rights - assuming that owning the nft actually means owning said IP, which would require some other document

i'm assuming TRAF here basically falls under BAYC, since they mention it in the tags at the bottom of that youtube screenshot? if so, then unless some other provisions apply for this variation of dumb ape art, then it does not actually appear that buying an nft entails any transfer of IP rights, as the BAYC terms and conditions posted elsewhere (maybe just in the grey forum thread, i forget) state that the buyer gains a license (in essence just a right to use the company's IP under certain conditions and for certain purposes). more importantly, this license isn't even defined as being exclusive or irrevocable, so for all you know BAYC might at some point decide to withdraw or alter the license, or decide that it's fine if someone other than the person/wallet with the nft does anything with the IP - or at least isn't worth the bother of any legal action

anyway does anyone have any idea what the legal concept is behind buying this episode? i went to the bit.ly link and it told me nothing except that somehow at the time of writing it has 211 owners. are you supposed to be entitled to a cut of whatever revenue it might make, or be able to decide in any way on how this IP is used, or is it simply another case of "idiot people are expected to be willing to pay massive amounts of money for this for no remotely sensible reason whatsoever, so you'd better get in on it right now if you want to get rich"?

it's an nft, you aren't actually buying the episode or any legal device related to the episode
you're just buying a token-with-the-hash-of-a-json-file-which-contains-a-url-pointing-to-the-youtube-video-written-on-it

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

hmmm... quality is a bit high

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

no but this post-it is

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no but this post-it is

gonna make an nft of this image of a piece of paper with a url to a video

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/liveoverflow/status/1465376602276220937

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

anyway does anyone have any idea what the legal concept is behind buying this episode? i went to the bit.ly link and it told me nothing except that somehow at the time of writing it has 211 owners. are you supposed to be entitled to a cut of whatever revenue it might make, or be able to decide in any way on how this IP is used, or is it simply another case of "idiot people are expected to be willing to pay massive amounts of money for this for no remotely sensible reason whatsoever, so you'd better get in on it right now if you want to get rich"?

a percentage of streaming revenue will be distributed to owners...

...in the form of a fractional percentage of ownership of other NFTs

in case that isn't an attractive enough offer, there's also "possibility" that they might give away one Bored Ape to one of the episode 1 owners, and a further "possibility" that they may give away more valuable and established NFTs to owners further down the line, and a "possibility" that they may advertise your business or your NFTs in the show

I'm sure the word "possibility" was chosen very carefully to avoid implying any actual guarantee that they'll do any of that

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
\U+006C \U+006F \U+006C

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sombrerotron posted:

so it'd just constitute violation of :airquote:intellectual:airquote:

:lol:

property rights - assuming that

:lmao:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what is the function of "&style->fontsize"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atlas out here buying nfts

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's an nft, you aren't actually buying the episode or any legal device related to the episode
you're just buying a token-with-the-hash-of-a-json-file-which-contains-a-url-pointing-to-the-youtube-video-written-on-it
i know, but typically the people selling these bridges at least imply that you'll gain some sort of ownership and/or right to participate in decisions and i was wondering what non-existent carrot was being dangled before prospective buyers in this case

to wit:

Main Paineframe posted:

a percentage of streaming revenue will be distributed to owners...

...in the form of a fractional percentage of ownership of other NFTs

in case that isn't an attractive enough offer, there's also "possibility" that they might give away one Bored Ape to one of the episode 1 owners, and a further "possibility" that they may give away more valuable and established NFTs to owners further down the line, and a "possibility" that they may advertise your business or your NFTs in the show

I'm sure the word "possibility" was chosen very carefully to avoid implying any actual guarantee that they'll do any of that
the answer to the question of "will buying this nft actually get you what they're suggesting or what you want to believe you'll be getting" is always "lmao fat loving chance", isn't it?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

please enjoy the full first episode of this official nft cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-xkPP7Hfk

Is this what a stroke feels like?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Boxturret posted:

there's a line of nfts that's defining trait is skeleton with large nail in their forehead

who the hell is spending $600 on these. i still dont get it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i was at a dinner with some nft people this weekend. i basically kept my mouth shut but they were unsurprisingly discussing it purely in terms of how much they could expect to sell it for in the future. it could be screen grabs of color swatches and it would be exactly the same to them

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

There's no way to know exactly what's going IPwise without looking at the ToS associated with the entity sending this poo poo out, but yeah it being a nonexclusive license revocable upon the grantor's discretion wouldn't surprise me. Transfer of IP rights would entail an additional contract or something that can be construed as a contract.

That reminds me I ought do a deep dive on IP rights associated with NFTs (lol) someday. I'm sure there's some mordant commentary on it out there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

who the hell is spending $600 on these. i still dont get it

the people who made them.

they're selling them to themselves for increasing amounts of eth tokens to raise the price so that the asset appears to have value

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Truman Peyote posted:

i was at a dinner with some nft people this weekend. i basically kept my mouth shut but they were unsurprisingly discussing it purely in terms of how much they could expect to sell it for in the future. it could be screen grabs of color swatches and it would be exactly the same to them

have those people actually flipped any for a profit? why buy a secondhand one instead of just waiting for lazy lions to pump out more nfts and getting a new one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i assume some people have, but the play is just to sell them to themselves or other people in a circle to pump up the price to the point where news sites will uncritically write articles about how nfts are selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hope it brings in a bunch of suckers to sell their jpegs to

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

have those people actually flipped any for a profit? why buy a secondhand one instead of just waiting for lazy lions to pump out more nfts and getting a new one

everyone knows the first edition trading cards are worth the most!!!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

no, they were all circlejerking about how much they had gone up in value. one commented that it wasn't real value because they hadn't sold, but they wanted it to go higher, and weren't sure what point they would decide was right. i would describe their facial expression while delivering this as a mix of shame and anxiety but i'm sure they would disagree

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truman Peyote posted:

no, they were all circlejerking about how much they had gone up in value. one commented that it wasn't real value because they hadn't sold, but they wanted it to go higher, and weren't sure what point they would decide was right. i would describe their facial expression while delivering this as a mix of shame and anxiety but i'm sure they would disagree

i saw some bitcoiners a little while ago who were excited that like, verifone announced it would support being able to pay with bitcoin, and the exchange basically went like:

"woo finally some way to use my bitcoin!"
"what!? diamond hands bro!!!"

and then the conversation awkwardly petered out with the first guy shamed into submission for having the gall to want to use the internet money to buy goods and services instead of just hold it forever as some kind of loving death cult ritual

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Truman Peyote posted:

the color swatch nfts already exist, by the way

drk
Jan 16, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why buy a secondhand one instead of just waiting for lazy lions to pump out more nfts and getting a new one

its pretty much that, right? last time i looked like a month ago there were only 2.7M "ape" NFTs on opensea.

now:

for all the complaining coiners like to do about inflation and "printer go brrr" memes, they seem to have whole heartedly embraced engaging in it themselves

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
once again it's the history of finance in fast forward

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

drk posted:

its pretty much that, right? last time i looked like a month ago there were only 2.7M "ape" NFTs on opensea.

now:

for all the complaining coiners like to do about inflation and "printer go brrr" memes, they seem to have whole heartedly embraced engaging in it themselves

are these all actually existing nfts that people have paid $60+ in gas to produce because oof

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fisting by many posted:

are these all actually existing nfts that people have paid $60+ in gas to produce because oof

iirc someone mentioned that they figured out a way to defer the cost of minting the NFT's so the person buying them has to pay it instead (presumably by just not doing anything on the blockchain unless they absolutely have to)

also i think you can mint all ten thousand for $60 rather than $60 each but that probably depends

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there's so many slight variations

then variations on those variations

then some just go all bitcoiin

then there's weird meta ones

and there's thousands of each of these

at least these ones are only worth a few dollars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey we can make scarce digital goods! how about 7 million apes?

there was an off topic teams thread at work about “should we get paid in crypto?” that was intended as a joke but you know coiners and each person replying mentioned 1-3 different new coins like “no, stonky has too many fees they should do bortcoin or uwutoken” from everyone else and there were like at least 100 different crypto things mentioned in 5 minutes and it’s like way to illustrate the benefits of fiat, dudes [they were all dudes]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

qirex posted:

hey we can make scarce digital goods! how about 7 million apes?

there was an off topic teams thread at work about “should we get paid in crypto?” that was intended as a joke but you know coiners and each person replying mentioned 1-3 different new coins like “no, stonky has too many fees they should do bortcoin or uwutoken” from everyone else and there were like at least 100 different crypto things mentioned in 5 minutes and it’s like way to illustrate the benefits of fiat, dudes [they were all dudes]

well that just means that your company should make their own coin to pay you in then the employees can trade it for which ever coin they want

and hey, if the coin does well and goes to the moon they could fire you all and just live off the moon money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the "paid in crypto" people seem like an even less useful and much more dire version of the people who thought it was cool to get linux running on a toaster 20 years ago

what i'm trying to say is in 20 years we'll all be paid in bespoke incompatible coins that stop getting security updates after a year and pining for the days when you could get non-"smart" money

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vkE7zokbRU&t=517s

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

the "paid in crypto" people seem like an even less useful and much more dire version of the people who thought it was cool to get linux running on a toaster 20 years ago

what i'm trying to say is in 20 years we'll all be paid in bespoke incompatible coins that stop getting security updates after a year and pining for the days when you could get non-"smart" money

it’s going to be even worse in america because between the unregulated late stage capitalism and the 19th century nightmare of financial technology we’ll get to see the shitcoin meets company scrip equivalent of a nation struggling to understand how chip and pin works thirty years after everyone else has outright deprecated magnetic strip transactions

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
i cannot wait to be paid in CompanyCoin that can only be used to purchase Company goods in the Company town.

wait.....

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mercury_Storm posted:

i cannot wait to be paid in CompanyCoin that can only be used to purchase Company goods in the Company town.

wait.....
Someone's excited for the metaverse!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it has significant historical precedent, until the fed got in the way

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

drk posted:

now:

Give 7 million coiners 7 million apes and they’ll eventually re-enact the history of finance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i miss the mouse