Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeimosRising posted:

Mostly bots i assume

Yeah, 90% of accounts flagged as 'female' were created with ashleymadison.com email accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
well uh, this is a thing
https://twitter.com/davehill77/status/1463510693668392962?s=20
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1463703238847389698?s=20

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I hope that ppl don't use this to attack women from coming out. But the fact the prosecution coached the victim into picking the person they wanted is sickening.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Shageletic posted:

I hope that ppl don't use this to attack women from coming out. But the fact the prosecution coached the victim into picking the person they wanted is sickening.

Sadly this is pretty common. Lineups are pretty notoriously bad, as are eyewitness accounts. Especially too when you don't have great descriptions to go off of.

And it's tough too because your memory changes. So you'll make yourself think it was actually that person you testified against.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is eerily similar to how Randall Dale Adams ended up being exonerated during the process of making The Thin Blue Line. Errol Morris originally set out to make a documentary about a completely different subject, noticed that nothing about the Adams case added up, then pivoted the entire production towards examining his conviction under false pretenses. The blame of course shouldn’t be with Alice Sebold, but the ubiquitous and perennial uselessness of law enforcement.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
She shouldn't be blamed for what happened. But she absolutely does owe that man an apology if it's something that will give him peace.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I agree with Stalin

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Those cops bravely overcame their hatred of women to act on their hatred of black people.

Chuds are definitely going to seize on this to try and tear down Me Too and Believe Women.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Those cops bravely overcame their hatred of women to act on their hatred of black people.

Chuds are definitely going to seize on this to try and tear down Me Too and Believe Women.

they will seize on a crinkly leaf on the sidewalk if they think it will work to tear down me too. I wouldn't fret too much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not the chuds you have to worry about tearing down MeToo and Believe Women.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not the chuds you have to worry about tearing down MeToo and Believe Women.

Chuds are really a lunatic fringe anymore. But I'm assuming you mean centists, liberals, and "normal" people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Chuds are really a lunatic fringe anymore. But I'm assuming you mean centists, liberals, and "normal" people.

Any movement that targets power imbalances and abuses of power will only last so long as it's perceived to only hurt the "bad guys" and not to hurt or diminish the power of the system as a whole. The whole "Joe Biden is a rapist" underscored a huge problem with the issue, because while his past behavior and actions are of serious concern, the opposition not only doesn't care when their people do it, they cheer it on when their tribe is winning. Therefore if the other side doesn't care when it happens to them, then Biden's accusations and evidence had to be downplayed for the sake of a greater good (lol).

It'd be great to live in a society where there was a standard of behavior that every had to live up to or get cancelled without issue, but we just saw ~1/2 a country cheer their heads off for a white teen murderer who strolled around with an assault rifle looking for targets getting off scot free.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was gonna say, Tara Reade and Rose McGowan get a ton of hate daily from people you'd see on D&D spouting how necessary it is to vote blue at the same time

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

muscles like this! posted:

Kevin Spacey loses arbitration and has to pay $31 million for breach of contract due to his sexual harassment.

Now what about those three accusers—yes, three—he had murdered?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MLSM posted:

Now what about those three accusers—yes, three—he had murdered?

While I definitely believe two of them were suspicious, I thought the third was a cancer death.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Louis C.K. & Dave Chappelle Nominated for Grammys ... Is Cancel Culture Canceled?
https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/23/dave-chappelle-louis-ck-cancel-culture-grammy-nomination/

Dad of Disney Star Peyton Clark and Influencer Acacia Kersey Accused of Grooming Underage Girls
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dad-disney-star-peyton-clark-103148171.html

Beaming Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell blessed by the Pope – showing their all-powerful connections
https://www.the-sun.com/news/4110742/jeffrey-epstein-ghislaine-maxwell-blessed-pope/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dave Chapelle recently went to his old high school and argued with a bunch of kids. He needs to take his money and go away because now it's just plain embarrassing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Dave Chapelle recently went to his old high school and argued with a bunch of kids. He needs to take his money and go away because now it's just plain embarrassing.

I feel like that would go something like this: https://youtu.be/npFtXUE8V1A

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CPL593H posted:

The way the grift rocket accelerates after public outcry is impressive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

The way the grift rocket accelerates after public outcry is impressive

It's like twitter poisoning breaking out into real life.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like twitter poisoning breaking out into real life.

Honestly, I love it, it rules. Thank you Chappelle for showing us the endpoint of all this culture war poo poo: a 40 year old multimillionaire arguing in person with children who still rely on their parents to buy them cereal.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
These are definitely business decisions but I can't tell how they're supposed to be smart business decisions

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

These are definitely business decisions but I can't tell how they're supposed to be smart business decisions

Chud grift is very profitable. He's selling out arenas. Speaking from a monetary perspective this is probably the high point of his career.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Not quite the purvue of this thread but we did discuss it before so it counts: the trial of Jussie Smollett has started. Still a truly bizarre story in which someone decides to gently caress their career and themselves for some vague gain. Was he doing it to raise his profile (which doesn't make much sense) or was he trying to whip people into a frenzy?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Not quite the purvue of this thread but we did discuss it before so it counts: the trial of Jussie Smollett has started. Still a truly bizarre story in which someone decides to gently caress their career and themselves for some vague gain. Was he doing it to raise his profile (which doesn't make much sense) or was he trying to whip people into a frenzy?

:thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Do not believe the police if they tell you the sky is blue.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Looking at every documented thing the CPD has done during the investigation and various trials, I don’t see how you can’t come to the conclusion that he was attacked by some cops.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
ACAB sure, but that doesn't mean Smollett is magically innocent either. What is the evidence that he was attacked by a couple of cops? The police and prosecutors and the mayor are poo poo, and layered it on thick in the press - can't disagree with that - but I don't see how that story adds up.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"Magically innocent"? He didn't loving do anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

ACAB sure, but that doesn't mean Smollett is magically innocent either. What is the evidence that he was attacked by a couple of cops? The police and prosecutors and the mayor are poo poo, and layered it on thick in the press - can't disagree with that - but I don't see how that story adds up.

Point is the concept of "evidence" is worthless when it comes to this particular police department because they've proven they can't be trusted. They've been caught falsifying evidence and beating confessions out of people time and time again, so the only reasonable thing to do is just assume everyone they arrest/charge is innocent, because we have no way of distinguishing between the legit cases and the bullshit ones.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The Smollet stuff feels like a lifetime ago and I don't have it in me to re-research it, but even if you drift away from ACAB it doesn't seem that out there to think that they just ran with their crazy theory and did whatever they could to make it work. The whole thing is sketchy as gently caress and sounds the same as every true crime story of the cops railroading somebody. Even if they're right, they didn't get there honestly.

Off the top of my head, the idea that Smollet got beat up by his trainer in some personal dispute, reported it before he realized what was going on and got stuck makes just as much, if not more, sense and yet it barely got considered because the cops already had their idea that he was playing the race card/attention seeking.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2021

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The Smollet stuff feels like a lifetime ago and I don't have it in me to re-research it, but even if you drift away from ACAB it doesn't seem that out there to think that they just ran with their crazy theory and did whatever they could to make it work. The whole thing is sketchy as gently caress and sounds the same as every true crime story of the cops railroading somebody. Even if they're right, they didn't get there honestly.

Off the top of my head, the idea that Smollet got beat up by his trainer in some personal dispute, reported it before he realized what was going on and got stuck makes just as much, if not more, sense and yet it barely got considered because the cops already had their idea that he was playing the race card/attention seeking.

His trainers are Nigerian, he claimed publicly that he was beat up by two white guys who said they recognized him from Empire, who also put a noose on him and dumped some kind of substance as well. The idea that two MAGA chuds were walking around Chicago at 3 am in the middle of winter, happened to have a noose on them, recognized an actor from a black TV show, and then decided to assault him is deeply silly. So either he made it all up, or there's some kind of insane conspiracy within the Chicago PD, which I rule out because if there's one thing the cops are good at it's injuring people and he wasn't badly hurt.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

His trainers are Nigerian, he claimed publicly that he was beat up by two white guys who said they recognized him from Empire, who also put a noose on him and dumped some kind of substance as well. The idea that two MAGA chuds were walking around Chicago at 3 am in the middle of winter, happened to have a noose on them, recognized an actor from a black TV show, and then decided to assault him is deeply silly. So either he made it all up, or there's some kind of insane conspiracy within the Chicago PD, which I rule out because if there's one thing the cops are good at it's injuring people and he wasn't badly hurt.
When did he claim they were white and that they said they recognized him from Empire?

e: ok I am watching this TV interview he did early on where he says they called him "Empire," but I still can't find any instance of him specifically claiming they were white. But I just wanna be really careful with details like this because it would be pretty messed up to spread misinformation about what he was actually claiming.

Honestly it would be completely conceivable to me that the two attackers came up with a really dumb plan to pretend to be MAGA dudes in order to throw off suspicion, then started scrambling to shift blame away from them when they got caught immediately. Like, maybe they were initially going to rob him or something but panicked when poo poo got weird?

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 1, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Martman posted:

When did he claim they were white and that they said they recognized him from Empire?

e: ok I am watching this TV interview he did early on where he says they called him "Empire," but I still can't find any instance of him specifically claiming they were white. But I just wanna be really careful with details like this because it would be pretty messed up to spread misinformation about what he was actually claiming.

Honestly it would be completely conceivable to me that the two attackers came up with a really dumb plan to pretend to be MAGA dudes in order to throw off suspicion, then started scrambling to shift blame away from them when they got caught immediately. Like, maybe they were initially going to rob him or something but panicked when poo poo got weird?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/12/1/22811986/abimbola-osundairo-takes-stand-jussie-smollett-fake-beat

quote:

Earlier Wednesday two Chicago police detectives said when Smollett was considered a victim by authorities, he identified one of his attackers as white.

But when the Osundairos were arrested in early February, he changed his story and said the man was “pale skinned,” Detective Robert Graves said.

Graves said when he confronted Smollett about the discrepancy, he said, “Well, he acted like he was white by what he said.”

Of the Osundairo brothers, Smollett later said, it “can’t be them, they’re Black as sin,” Graves said.

Smollett, who is Black and gay, said as he was returning to his Streeterville apartment building after a stop at a Subway sandwich shop on Jan. 29, 2019, when he heard someone yell “Empire n*****, Empire f*****,” Graves’ partner, Detective Kimberly Murray, told jurors on the third day of Smollett’s trial.

“What the f*** you say to me,” Murray said Smollett told her he replied.

“This is MAGA country,” Smollett said one of his two attackers yelled, along with a racial slur, before he was pummeled to the ground, Murray said.

Smollett said he could tell one of his attackers was white because he could see the attacker’s skin and part of his nose behind a ski mask he was wearing, Murray said.

Smollett also told Murray he received a homophobic phone call and a letter with a picture of stick figure with a noose around its neck days before he said he was assaulted.

But he declined to give his cellphone to police when they wanted to further investigate to see if the attack was tied to the previous two incidents.

Smollett also declined to have his medical records released or submit a DNA sample, Graves and Murray said.

“He said he wanted his privacy and he didn’t want the information to be leaked out.” Graves said.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok, that is useful, but I would definitely distinguish "the cops say he said they were white" from "he publicly claimed they were white."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Martman posted:

Ok, that is useful, but I would definitely distinguish "the cops say he said they were white" from "he publicly claimed they were white."
He did, have a look at any of the news stories published at the time. They all initially say it's being treated as a hate crime because he claimed the attackers where white and called him homophobic and racial slurs. Smollett's lawyer made a big deal about how he was the victim of a hate crime and feared for his life.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A link like that is exactly what I would have liked, but what you gave was "the cops say he said it at the time." When I look at sources from the time, videos of his own public statements etc., I see him saying they were shouting MAGA stuff and that he couldn't see them very well.

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 2, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Martman posted:

A link like that is exactly what I asked for, and all you gave was "the cops say he said it at the time." When I look at sources from the time, videos of his own public statements etc., I see him saying they were shouting MAGA stuff and that he couldn't see them very well.
Just do a Google search for news articles early 2019.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 2, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dude.........that literally doesn't say they were white.

e: Bro! You edited it out. Do you see why I am kind of disturbed by people playing it fast and loose with the facts about a case like this?

e2: ok let's try this again

Mr. Apollo posted:

Just do a Google search for news articles early 2019. The initial police report he signed said the attackers were white.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5726083-Jussie-Smollett-police-report.html

This? No. It doesn't.

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This really isn't the thread to argue the legal irregularities for the Smollet case especially since there seem to be a lot of people fully willing to disbelieve anything he says and 100% back the Chicago PD, an organization that literally ran/is running torture blacksites to force suspects into giving confessions.