Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy was brought up earlier and while I have that in my library, I think I played for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before I bounced off of it. Is that a game people actually like and defend?

Some goon in the EYE thread described it thusly:

"You are a robot man who dropped a tab of acid and found a minigun"

If you can roleplay that then EYE will cause you to experience ego death and glimpse the path to Nirvana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1465362003376152576?s=21

Noted dead game Cybperpunk reportedly not dead

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

CDPR has started early "exploratory work" on new projects as well

who could have seen this coming

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

So odd people need to kick the legs out of the witcher 3 so cyberpunk has a chance to stand on its own.

So odd people need to act like they've co-signed a loan with a game when you point out things in a game you liked that you found less than fun.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Eraflure posted:

CDPR has started early "exploratory work" on new projects as well

who could have seen this coming

Imagine, a game developer exploring new IP's!

Did anyone get mad when Bethesda announced Starfield instead of a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Bronze Fonz posted:

Did anyone get mad when Bethesda announced Starfield instead of a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game?

Having not looked into this even slightly, I'm going to give you an absolutely ironclad guarantee, that someone got very mad indeed.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Probably not since they've announced both together no?
Point is regardless of CP77's future it's to be expected they explore new IPs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bronze Fonz posted:

:lol: yes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Everyone has known starfield has been coming for along time. It was Todd's dream ever since he was computer tech support for the people that made daggerfall.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I wonder if Todd will incessantly tweet 'dead game' @bethesda when his dream Jesus game turns out to be just another Bethesda kiddie pool.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Bronze Fonz posted:

I started playing Skyrim again for the millionth time because I’m excited for Starfield. I can’t wait to immediately attack the fist guard/space police/whatever I see.

Don’t know what that has to do with anything, but there ya go.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
people are going to be pissed when the NEXT GEN UPDATE tm is just the current pc build

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I used to be a space adventurer like you, then I took a space arrow in the knee"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

*vast universe can be crossed in 20 minutes*

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Pretty sure they didn't expect to spend so much time and effort on this game just to call it quits without even reusing the setting/assets, so yeah it's worth noting they're admitting defeat on that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'New projects' could mean more Cyberpunk or it could not. They've gone dead silent on that multiplayer Cyberpunk companion project so I suspect that's dead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you think they are just abandoning Cyberpunk you don't know anything about game design, business, or finance. That's the end of it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For all of this thread’s chagrin and gnashing of teeth, CP77 was a huge (financial) success and showed that their PR machine can play with the big boys. They now have two IPs with huge name recognition and enough money to start fielding multiple dev teams.

So yeah, probably Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2078, but they can’t talk about that until Next Gen and DLC.
:shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

people are going to be pissed when the NEXT GEN UPDATE tm is just the current pc build

Why? What else could they possibly be expecting, really?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

"We're exploring new projects" isn't coded language stating they're abandoning the IP, it's something standard you say to investors who want to hear about new and exciting things when it's still too early to talk about the new and exciting things.

If anything, glancing through their financials suggests they're going to stick with Cyberpunk. Despite the costs it's selling enough to keep them in the black and they're probably expecting a really long tail on the sales if they can get it into a state where the overwhelming opinion shifts from "this is a mess lol" to "actually it's alright and the expansion makes the whole thing worth it." And they can't announce a Cyberpunk sequel or spin-off until they fix the first game anyways. Any trust the studio had from Witcher 3 has all but evaporated and they need to correct for that, announcing a new game in the setting now would just have people asking when they plan to finish developing the first one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah first they'll release the 'definitive edition' of Cyberpunk next year and people will be 'hey it's alright'. Then they release the 'definitive edition' of Witcher 3 and everyone will replay that and love it and remember that CDPR can make good games. Then they're 2 years out from the last game release and have another 2 years to finish whatever is cooking in pre-production now.

That's if they've fixed the project management issues that clearly plagued development of cyperpunk.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Whose gonna be the main character in cyberpunk 2? Kevin Spacy? Chris prat?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

As much as people seem to dislike Keanu I think we can all agree it would be an absolute nightmare to go through the game with Chris Pratt's Johnny Silverhand chiming in every 5 minutes.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I am very skeptical of Starfield. Sci-fi futuristic open world games are much harder to make than stuff like Fallout or Witcher 3.

I think if Cyberpunk were set in a barren wasteland, then it probably would've been a much more polished game because the complexity is much lower.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Starfield is going to be Outer Worlds but with crappier characters, worse dialogue, and a barely existent plot; but it will have a 24-hour NPC cycle, random encounters, and lots of crafting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eraflure posted:

Pretty sure they didn't expect to spend so much time and effort on this game just to call it quits without even reusing the setting/assets, so yeah it's worth noting they're admitting defeat on that point.

CP2077 is a shitshow but the surprise for me is that they werent looking at new IPs yet. It'll be another 6 years before they release a new title if they dont have anything in the pipeline yet and it wont be another 2 years at least till it hits full production even if they get a new IP right this moment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely believe that a Cyberpunk 2077 that simply fixed everything that is currently contained within the game would make it a very good video game without having to add anything. Just fix//repair driving and character customization and crafting and combat and enemy AI and Traffic AI and pedestrian reaction AI and make sure all the perks work and cut all the bad Fallout Perks and replace them with good New Vegas perks. If they simply managed to clean up the big mess on the floor and replate, nice and stable, with a little garnish, I think a lot of people would be happy with where it ended up.

But you can’t add a new floor to a house that is burning down, you gotta right the ship.

I only just now bought and started playing this game but this is how I feel, although I wouldn't even go so far as to say that any of that stuff you mentioned was that "bad". Enemy AI is total garbage, ehhhh fair point, but I'm getting a distinct (if unintentional) 2005 vibe from the game and it's scratching that VtM Bloodlines itch that won't be scratched by that VtM: B sequel that's never coming out. I have to just settle for Cyberpunk, and it's fine!

No really, it's fine. I don't get why people expend so much hate on this game, I'm enjoying it so far and I'm like 7 hours in.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell hath no fury like a disappointed fan

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just did the last Kerry Eurodyne quest, which I didn’t get to in my first playthrough. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why? What else could they possibly be expecting, really?

Imagine being a community manager when swaths of people that do not know what 'next gen' update means, chime in with their opinions on the day it is released.

Actually, it's probably kind of poo poo right now.

King Vidiot posted:

No really, it's fine. I don't get why people expend so much hate on this game, I'm enjoying it so far and I'm like 7 hours in.

Yeah, the flaws have been picked apart months ago. The cause and effect chain is fairly pedestrian for the games industry. The only exceptional feature is the amount of goodwill squandered.

Glansing at the other internet discussions or comment sections, it would be fascinating to do some study from a sociological/psychological angle, like the apparent swing from fan to a pathological negativity spiral.

Some of the accounts read like troll factory output, except it isn't about politics but a videogame publisher. Which I guess is a totally valid way of spending time.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 30, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Come to think of it, didn't someone already point out that having a parasocial relationship with the cdpr brand to the point of feeling personally betrayed, is cyberpunk as gently caress.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just finished the game. went into it with pretty low expectations and mostly enjoyed it. i had the most fun just wandering around doing merc stuff in act 1 and i felt like it went a bit downhill after that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Starfield is going to be Outer Worlds but with crappier characters, worse dialogue, and a barely existent plot; but it will have a 24-hour NPC cycle, random encounters, and lots of crafting.
Multiple planets (more like cities on a "planet"), a whole galaxy and the rest of space, all from scratch within the current development timeframe announced? Yeah, I'm prepared for another disappointment.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I refuse to believe anyone can make a more hollowed-out nothing of a game than Outer Worlds.

Even a little Bethesdajank would have glittered that turd up some.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

History Comes Inside! posted:

I refuse to believe anyone can make a more hollowed-out nothing of a game than Outer Worlds.

Even a little Bethesdajank would have glittered that turd up some.

god it was so bad. I got to Monarch, realized I was just speeding through quests and dialogue, stopped and never looked back

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tenzarin posted:

Whose gonna be the main character in cyberpunk 2? Kevin Spacy? Chris prat?

Chris Pratt to voice forgotten Arasaka family member Itsuki Arasaka

Pattonesque posted:

god it was so bad. I got to Monarch, realized I was just speeding through quests and dialogue, stopped and never looked back

The best part of Outer Worlds was the soundtrack, specifically the main menu music :discourse:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bedlam posted:

As much as people seem to dislike Keanu I think we can all agree it would be an absolute nightmare to go through the game with Chris Pratt's Johnny Silverhand chiming in every 5 minutes.

But what if Chris did his Mario Mario voice the whole time?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Outer Worlds had some nice reactivity. I've uh... accidentially killed the first town, including the first party member. A late-game-quest told me to get rid of some troublemakers in that town but acknowledged that I've done that as pretty much the first thing after my arrival.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

To the haters and losers, Cyberpunk is actually good now, so WRAP IT UP 2077ailures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GOG already allows refunds though so I don’t see the benefit of also being able to buy it on steam?