Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Roosevelt posted:

happy fourth birthday little thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

:toot:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roosevelt posted:

:nice:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

Glorgnole posted:

this'll probably take a very long time, possibly many months! yikes! just be forewarned.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
planet busters over ligma falls when

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pile Of Garbage posted:

well after three years we're ~140 turns in and most of us are only just getting to tech four (the green line):

Planet Busters are unlocked by Orbital Spaceflight which is tech six (the red line). soooo yeah, maybe in two years someone might field a Planet Buster?

:hfive:

is there any particular meaning to the green and red lines?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is there any particular meaning to the green and red lines?

i mentioned them in my post. really just highlighting that we're all around tech level 4 and planet busters aren't even a thing until tech level 6. we're playing with Blind Research enabled so you can't actually choose which techs to research and instead can only choose which of the four categories to focus research on (Build, Explore, Discover and Conquer). all the techs have prereqs and there's a lot of overlap between the categories so it's not as simple as going all-in on Conquer. in fact Orbital Spaceflight is a Discover tech with Explore/Discover pre-reqs so Conquer won't even get you there.

edit: in the last turn i played i completed a trade with Gaians (Glorgnole) where they gave me Centauri Meditation which is Explore 5 so we're still a ways off...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can't wait until the first planet buster is sent in 2036, the file transferred by ham radio after massive climate change destroys most of the internet and you're powering ancient laptops using pedal bikes

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

DUNC energy in the save:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i'll try to get the save passed on by tomorrow, tonight's sobriety pending

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

well after three years we're ~140 turns in and most of us are only just getting to tech four (the green line):

Planet Busters are unlocked by Orbital Spaceflight which is tech six (the red line). soooo yeah, maybe in two years someone might field a Planet Buster?

i've always had trouble navigating the tech tree with blind research set to on. usually (including in this game) i just blaze down the build/explore part of the tree but then get kinda stuck (like i am now) trying to research synthetic fossil fuels*. i probably need to switch the gaian research priorities over to "conquer" mode to work through that part of the tree -- might have already done this a few turns/months ago but i don't remember.

i think i'm making good progress though since i'm able to research 1 new tech every ~8 turns, mostly thanks to high commerce income, good energy production, and stacked network nodes and research hospitals at high-energy bases.

*a side effect of this is that i've never ever researched gatling lasers before missile pods. i think that only happens if you keep the conquer focus throughout the early game.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

i think i'm making good progress though since i'm able to research 1 new tech every ~8 turns, mostly thanks to high commerce income, good energy production, and stacked network nodes and research hospitals at high-energy bases.

this is obscene! praise the Gaiain/Hive research exchange program!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

this is obscene! praise the Gaiain/Hive research exchange program!

somebody should probably do something about this!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
been a while since i've seen the save

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

been a while since i've seen the save

I sent out a ping re: the save -- its status will be known soon

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
where's the save? it's passed my usual turn time

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah sorry all i hosed up, kept it too long and then hosed up sending it yesterday, hasn't been a great time for garbo. just sent it on now, love the save name also can confirm that the GOG version of SMAC works perfectly on Win11 for anyone who is wondering.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I got closer to figuring out why i can’t install the game: my windows “optional features” subsystem (which manages .net framework 3.5) is all hosed to somehow. can’t find any working fixes for that though.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah idk i doubt that. SMAC has zero .NET dependencies, like none at all. are you using the GOG installer?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
.net 3.5 is no longer shipped with windows and you cant install it from windows features. you can get it here, tho: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net35-sp1

its probably not SMAC that needs it, but the installer itself.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah idk i doubt that. SMAC has zero .NET dependencies, like none at all. are you using the GOG installer?

yeah i am. i don't remember how i got the .net 3.5 idea in the first place, but the error is a windows update error that happens during first run at the point that newly-installed programs are pulling down additional poo poo they need. maybe it's some other optional feature. maybe it's a driver for something.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think your installer is hosed or something, maybe download a fresh one from GOG. i've honestly had none of the issues you describe, running from win8 to win11 (yeah i was here at turn one).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i think your installer is hosed or something, maybe download a fresh one from GOG. i've honestly had none of the issues you describe, running from win8 to win11 (yeah i was here at turn one).

the installer is fine, i've tried multiple. i have confirmed that i have an actual problem with my windows installation that is tripping the installer up. i just don't know how to fix it. if you go to the "turn windows features on or off" control panel, you will see things there. i do not, which is wrong.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wait so you can't get to this thing?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it's completely blank, which is a thing that happens to people, but everything i've tried to fix it has failed with the same error i see when i try to run smax the first time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you cant see it because they removed it from windows features in newer versions of windows. old installers that need 3.5 but detect it as not installed will try to install it from windows features, but that doesnt work because it was removed from windows features. most installers dont handle this correctly so you get a wierd error.

you can download and install 3.5 sp1 manually and it will fix it (if missing .net 3.5 is the problem).

this is a common issue for a certain generation of windows installers that rely on .net 3.5 for the installer itself, not necessarily the software they are installing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

you cant see it because they removed it from windows features in newer versions of windows. old installers that need 3.5 but detect it as not installed will try to install it from windows features, but that doesnt work because it was removed from windows features. most installers dont handle this correctly so you get a wierd error.

you can download and install 3.5 sp1 manually and it will fix it (if missing .net 3.5 is the problem).

this is a common issue for a certain generation of windows installers that rely on .net 3.5 for the installer itself, not necessarily the software they are installing.

the dialog box is blank for me. i have no ability to interact with any optional windows features via that dialog box or powershell or cmd.exe or anything. (the latter two emit the same error that the installer does.) manually installing 3.5 via a download also fails.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
make sure its the offline installer: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net35-sp1

as there are some .net 3.5 installers that just try to install it from windows features. its possible tho that something is just totally busted w/ ur system.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

all this talk is making me nervous

All I have is my macbook pro 2021 with the pros chip and and a 14 day crossover trial

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i shall sned the save after work today

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just received the save and I'd like for someone to take my turn (Apple Silicon is kicking my rear end).

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

champagne posting posted:

Just received the save and I'd like for someone to take my turn (Apple Silicon is kicking my rear end).

i can do it (unless you'd like to nominate someone else as your stand-in)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

also it's cool that shaggar is able to leap in at a moment's notice with timely and pertinent .NET advice

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Glorgnole posted:

also it's cool that shaggar is able to leap in at a moment's notice with timely and pertinent .NET advice

i mean, sort of. i still haven't actually resolved my problem because

Shaggar posted:

something is just totally busted w/ ur system.

which i already knew

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorgnole posted:

i can do it (unless you'd like to nominate someone else as your stand-in)

youd be perfect thanks

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

champagne posting posted:

youd be perfect thanks

save done and snet

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
whats the latest? still the Gaians ahead of everyone else with a huge lead?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Helianthus Annuus posted:

whats the latest?

we're on track to research planet busters and annihilate all of planet in 3 years or so

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just sent the save, i've now established base #9 named Lyrical Swords.

raminasi posted:

the dialog box is blank for me. i have no ability to interact with any optional windows features via that dialog box or powershell or cmd.exe or anything. (the latter two emit the same error that the installer does.) manually installing 3.5 via a download also fails.

one other thing to check, make sure DirectPlay is installed via the optional windows features thingo (if that is even working for you at all sounds like it isn't?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also could the Drones please pull-back some of their supply crawlers? you're starting to deny resources within my base grids. if you need more space maybe expand to another island or something like i did idk