Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

it's always the fruit company employees itt lol

oh go gently caress yourself

just what does my employer have to do with this?

I’ve been dealing with UNIX variants for literally decades now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

When the system works right then it works very well, a maintainer is an invaluable advocate for the user's interests.I'm paraphrasing that Maintainers Matter article at this point but adware and spyware simply does not exist in mainstream Linux desktop environments as a direct consequence of the existence of maintainers, not just because the whole stack is free software or open source or whatever; that's necessary, but not sufficient.

gonna need a citation or argument on that one, i am not at all convinced there's a causal link

i've been a mac user since the 1990s. there was a long time when mac users in online my-computer-is-better-than-yours fights were hanging their hats on "oho winturds, macs basically don't have malware" but it was really because nobody fuckin' bothered, there weren't enough macs. desktop linux works the same way

quote:

Also the main reason why distro-packaged software tends to have maintenance problems is because there are problems in the upstream software itself. Perhaps it embeds outdated forks of third-party software libraries. Perhaps it uses a screwy build system. Perhaps it pulls in a hundred tiny lovely libraries via some cesspit like npm that came from god knows where. It is no coincidence that these traits are commonly found inside commercial software, because commercial software does not consider these traits to be defects. "Move fast and break stuff" is the order of the day, and first mover advantage is everything. Clean up enough bugs to keep pulling in money from users later, but if you don't make it to market before your competitor does then there won't be a later. Security holes? No company has ever gone bankrupt from security holes.

lmao, linux package maintainers were responsible for creating one of the most hellfucked security flaws i ever read about. trying to point blame for the problems this system creates back at upstream is p. hosed, too, given that few of them even exist on other platforms. do i care if a mac app has a fucky build system or embeds a forked library? nope, i just use it.

also, protecting user accounts from each other isn't enough. today you have to protect the user's data from programs the user installed. relying on amateur review of distro packages is not enough; even if you assume perfect reviewers no distro ever has everything and the system's straining with the quantity of software already out there. if linux is ever to scale out of its current limited userbase it's going to have to adapt to people runing fart apps they downloaded from butt.net. (news flash: lots of linux users already do that and you're just being saved by obscurity)

this is why things like flatpak not only attempt to move beyond the bad package manager model but also introduce sandboxing. if you want a good future for linux start looking at efforts like that and constructively critique them because the distro/package model ain't getting it done.

quote:

Use a judiciously-chosen set of reputable dependencies, use a standard build system, make regular time-based releases, follow platform conventions. Do that and distributors will not get in your way. And yes this is a rather idealistic attitude

i would call it positively panglossian, not merely idealistic

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

BobHoward posted:

also, protecting user accounts from each other isn't enough. today you have to protect the user's data from programs the user installed. relying on amateur review of distro packages is not enough; even if you assume perfect reviewers no distro ever has everything and the system's straining with the quantity of software already out there. if linux is ever to scale out of its current limited userbase it's going to have to adapt to people runing fart apps they downloaded from butt.net. (news flash: lots of linux users already do that and you're just being saved by obscurity)

quoting this, hard

shower thought: if i'm on windows and i want to try running a very trustworthy strip_poker.exe because I want to see pixelated titties, i can use Sandboxie and it's easy as pie, then that arbitrary executable can't steal my ssh keys or my family pictures

googling tells me the linux equivalent is firejail, and it looks pretty straightforward, just `firejail strip_poker.sh`. does it actually work well?

would it make sense to have a distro that runs all untrusted executables and shell scripts under firejail by default, unless you invoke a specific sudo-like command ('unjail' or whatever)?

e: for the purpose of this discussion let's ignore exactly what 'untrusted' means, assume it can be configured to your liking during setup. but it always definitely includes poo poo you manually downloaded from the internet, whether by right clicking in firefox or via curl | bash

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 30, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

firejail kind of beside the point i think, obviously all the technology necessary to sandbox and otherwise limit stuff is there on linux, but expecting users to deal with it is as you touch upon kind of nonsense. the point of flatpak is to make it possible to actually ship software on linux without having to care about a billion details, without pushing all the concerns onto the users.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 30, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i like debian but i forgot about this, lol:

https://wiki.debian.org/Chromium

quote:

As of 2021-10-14 19:19:07, Debian's Chromium package in buster, bullseye and bookworm repository remains vulnerable to numerous CVEs as outlined in the Chromium Security Tracker. Consider using an alternative browser like Firefox, Brave or ungoogled-chromium.

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/chromium

for me, it entirely nullifies the idea that debian is more secure because of its package review/release/maintenance process (which is something i have occasionally bought into) . that's okay, i'll still keep using that garbage.

ps: why in earth don’t they just remove it? why keep it up there?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 30, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

firejail kind of beside the point i think, obviously all the technology necessary to sandbox and otherwise limit stuff is there on linux, but expecting users to deal with it is as you touch upon kind of nonsense.

i think we're in agreement, because i think that right now it's not even usable for 'power users', let alone regular users

for comparison, i use ublock origin in advanced mode and with 3rd party requests blocked by default, so 90% of websites are broken by default for me until i whitelist the CDNs that are actually serving content instead of ads. ditto for android apps, no permissions by default and trackercontrol as a firewall so i need to whitelist them to let them phone home

it's a bit much for regular users who want their adware-infested recipe sites and malware-full candy crush clones to Just Work®. but if you're ok with taking responsibility over what's happening in your browser / phone, it's quite usable, because surgically unblocking stuff takes like two clicks

i would like the same thing for desktop apps. i want to cheerfully download fart apps from xxxgoku79xxx's profile and they just run in their neat little sandbox without disk or network access by default, instead of needing to launch firejail from the cli. if they want to phone home or browse my ~, i want to click on a little icon to let them do it if i actually trust them, instead of having to create a firejail .profile file with a text editor, or having to open firewall-config and manually create a whitelist rule

quote:

the point of flatpak is to make it possible to actually ship software on linux without having to care about a billion details, without pushing all the concerns onto the users.

flatpak, much like docker, is about dependency management first and security a distant second (and there's nothing wrong with that). i'm talking about security

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

i would like the same thing for desktop apps. i want to cheerfully download fart apps from xxxgoku79xxx's profile and they just run in their neat little sandbox without disk or network access by default, instead of needing to launch firejail from the cli. if they want to phone home or browse my ~, i want to click on a little icon to let them do it if i actually trust them, instead of having to create a firejail .profile file with a text editor, or having to open firewall-config and manually create a whitelist rule

you just described macos sandboxing! except that macos allows outbound connections because not allowing that would be insanely bad UX. inbound requires permission, reading from random directories requires permission

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Apt for life.

The Windows app store is so lovely that when you go to install teams on a Windows10 laptop it just takes you to the team's website. Yes, a link to a website in the store.

Anyway that's my Windows app store story.

thats because the teams app is an electron piece of poo poo that installs to your user profile instead of a real app

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

thats because the teams app is an electron piece of poo poo that installs to your user profile instead of a real app

doesn’t this apply to vscode too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you just described macos sandboxing! except that macos allows outbound connections because not allowing that would be insanely bad UX

by default, sure. i would still want something like this though:

"Spotify wants to connect to spotify-cdn.com [ ignore / >allow< ]"
"Spotify wants to connect to amazonaws.com [ ignore / >allow< ]"
"Spotify wants to connect to facebook.com [ >ignore< / allow ]"

"legit-calculator wants to connect to wikipedia.org [ ignore / >allow< ]"
"legit-calculator wants to connect to ebfyiqwbvoiy.7xz [ >ignore< / allow ]"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you can do that with Little Snitch but yes it should be built in

linux of course gets the good stuff for free https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Perplx posted:

linux of course gets the good stuff for free https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch

holy poo poo this is pretty much exactly what i wanted, thanks. i'll be installing it asap

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yesterday our company was about to switch from NetExtender to AnyConnect for the Linux users, but quickly learned (from me) that:

- Docker doesn't have access to the VPN with AnyConnect, as AnyConnect reconnects every time a container is started.

- OpenConnect doesn't work because of course SSO support isn't baked in yet.

:allears:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

flatpak, much like docker, is about dependency management first and security a distant second (and there's nothing wrong with that). i'm talking about security

docker is a user interface around cgroups

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yesterday our company was about to switch from NetExtender to AnyConnect for the Linux users, but quickly learned (from me) that:

- Docker doesn't have access to the VPN with AnyConnect, as AnyConnect reconnects every time a container is started.

- OpenConnect doesn't work because of course SSO support isn't baked in yet.

:allears:

lmao your poo poo is so hosed. no offense. dockers that need VPN access lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

cgroups v2 now!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lmao your poo poo is so hosed. no offense. dockers that need VPN access lmao

Yes, for containers used for development, yanking files from a file share behind the VPN is pretty standard.
Also:
- Accessing the sonarqube server
- Uploading artifacts
- Deploying updates

Lmao your poo poo is so hosed if you don't have the "D" part of CI/CD.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 30, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

youre talking about what it is, op was talking about what it enables

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yes, for containers used for development, yanking files from a file share behind the VPN is pretty standard.

this may be true but it doesn't make me wrong

Perplx posted:

this is pretty neat is there a linux version of the rest of macos sandboxing or is flatpak the state of the art (cue that annoying "just make an selinux module" post)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Also:
- Accessing the sonarqube server
- Uploading artifacts
- Deploying updates

Lmao your poo poo is so hosed if you don't have the "D" part of CI/CD.

you think i want devs to do poo poo-all from their laptops? at my job we have infrastructure, not a bunch of people who can't tell a reproducible build from a manually modified docker image pushing whatever from their laptop to production

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you think i want devs to do poo poo-all from their laptops? at my job we have infrastructure, not a bunch of people who can't tell a reproducible build from a manually modified docker image pushing whatever from their laptop to production

Well our containers are used for building/maintaining an embedded Linux project, so perhaps my use case is slightly different. :colbert:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
no, it's not. no matter what you're building for the love of god do not have a workflow where artifacts get built on a random loving developer laptop and deployed directly. come on

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

cgroups v2 now!
still no isolation though

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phobeste posted:

no, it's not. no matter what you're building for the love of god do not have a workflow where artifacts get built on a random loving developer laptop and deployed directly. come on
but op, that's how all firmware is built
if it's good enough for them, why is it not good enough for you?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Deployment happens in a pipeline, no random loving developer laptop get's to deploy anything, nor did I even insinuate such a thing. However, when building the container (even for development), there are several files that live on the VPN that are required.

How is this a hard concept to grasp? What short-circuited in your head that made you jump to that conclusion?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
LOL. "We use the docker container for development"

"OH, SO YOU LET ANY RANDOM ENGINEER DEPLOY FROM A LAPTOP???"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the important thing to remember is that if it is not working properly out of the box it means that your use-case is bad, criminally negligent really. your linux is just enforcing best practices by refusing to function.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
when you use a docker, you are ...docking :flaccid:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Linux: this may be true but it doesn't make me wrong

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

docker is linux cancer, but let's talk more about the embedded linux use-case

1. There's a project (embedded Linux image) that needs a ton of finnicky tool dependencies to build.
2. A full build probably takes 10-20 minutes minimum, and maxes out all CPU cores
3. Developers want to run builds locally, because it's faster and easier than waiting for CI. Probably some of them also install test-builds onto lab hardware.
4. You want your developer test-builds to turn out the same as your CI server, which runs the actual production builds

I get why somebody would do a docker for this, although I'd encourage "don't do a docker" instead

CI is the right tool for building prod images. It's also expensive and slow for building every single busted-rear end commit that some developer makes in a private branch. Not every company has infinite money to waste on cloud spend.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 30, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Deployment happens in a pipeline, no random loving developer laptop get's to deploy anything, nor did I even insinuate such a thing. However, when building the container (even for development), there are several files that live on the VPN that are required.

How is this a hard concept to grasp? What short-circuited in your head that made you jump to that conclusion?

you were the one talking about the D in CI/CD. what do you think that stands for?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CI/CD is generally done by a pipeline. Why would you think I was talking about anything else? :psyduck:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How the hell did y'all go from

quote:

Yes, for containers used for development

Straight into arguing that he said he's deploying to prod straight from a development machine lmbo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lol if your in charge of company infrastructure and this is your level of reading comprehension

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

1. There's a project (embedded Linux image) that needs a ton of finnicky tool dependencies to build.
2. A full build probably takes 10-20 minutes minimum, and maxes out all CPU cores
3. Developers want to run builds locally, because it's faster and easier than waiting for CI. Probably some of them also install test-builds onto lab hardware.
4. You want your developer test-builds to turn out the same as your CI server, which runs the actual production builds

I get why somebody would do a docker for this, although I'd encourage "don't do a docker" instead

CI is the right tool for building prod images. It's also expensive and slow for building every single busted-rear end commit that some developer makes in a private branch. Not every company has infinite money to waste on cloud spend.

This is essentially what's going on yes. It's much easier to onboard a new engineer when the instructions are:

- Get docker, docker-compose, and vpn access running on your machine.

- run "docker-compose build && docker-compose up -d" and now you can build the images.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Poopernickel posted:

yeah, that's what i do, but this series of posts:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Well our containers are used for building/maintaining an embedded Linux project, so perhaps my use case is slightly different. :colbert:

is what created the confusion. big scary.

any doomtrain that's weird that the vpn is somehow that broken lol. can't even bind the container to the vpn adapter?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

is what created the confusion. big scary.

any doomtrain that's weird that the vpn is somehow that broken lol. can't even bind the container to the vpn adapter?

If I did bind the container to the vpn adapter it would break the CI/CD pipeline because that's behind the VPN and thus wouldn't have the adapter. :smith:

Edit*

I do have IT finally looking at pritunl for a VPN. It only took a year for someone to listen. The magic words were "yubikey support."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If I did bind the container to the vpn adapter it would break the CI/CD pipeline because that's behind the VPN and thus wouldn't have the adapter. :smith:

Edit*

I do have IT finally looking at pritunl for a VPN. It only took a year for someone to listen. The magic words were "yubikey support."

Yubikey support sounds pretty cool. More user friendly and possibly just as secure as certificates. Maybe even more secure, since certificates can still be vulnerable to malware swiping them, necessitating frequent changeovers to be safe.

Getting vpn working for developer machines is always a headache but it's satisfying to find a solution that simply works.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Yubikey support sounds pretty cool. More user friendly and possibly just as secure as certificates. Maybe even more secure, since certificates can still be vulnerable to malware swiping them, necessitating frequent changeovers to be safe.

Getting vpn working for developer machines is always a headache but it's satisfying to find a solution that simply works.

Pritunl is cool and good.
- It supports OpenVPN and Wireguard
- Supports SSO with yubikey, okta, onelogin, azure, active directroy, google, and even slack.
- Has a client for MacOS, Windows, and Linux (although the client is just a very nice wrapper around .ovpn/wireguard files)
- Integrates with AWS, Azure, GCP, Ubiquiti
- Has support to auto-renew the ssl cert using letsencrypt.

I highly recommend using it if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
just use SSH and tunnel everything

boom, problem solved you're welcome