Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
California feels like a good analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah Philadelphia was just the first thing that popped into my head.

California is much more fitting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Hmmm depends how you look at it. Economically, maybe, but geographically California would be more like Britain or something. The eastern Med was Rome's centre of gravity, which of course was why Anatolia was Roman well into the High Middle Ages (and a major source of Byzantine manpower, that's why losing it sucked so much), so I'd actually put it somewhere 13 Colonies-ish, like I dunno South Carolina.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was reading an Ars Tech article about a mural found recently in England.
However, linked in the article I found something a little more charming, I thought. I don't recall seeing it referenced in this thread. If it was, my apologies.

A stylus found several years ago, dating to pre-Hadrian Wall Londinium shown here:

The inscription on all sides reads:

"I have come from the City. I bring you a welcome gift with a sharp point that you may remember me, I ask, if fortune allowed, that I might be able [to give] as generously as the way is long [and] as my purse is empty."

It's a souvenir that someone brought, that, if translated in modern English, would read "I went to Rome and all I got you was this lousy pen." as a joke.

I love it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:monocle:

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1465407560522084361

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:nice:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Looks like someone typed "nationalism patterned bowl" into styleGAN

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love the occasional reminders that Romans had awful taste.

Broke: We must return to tradition. Gaze upon this stately white marble statue of a god, rendered in such perfect detail every lock of hair is perfectly in place.
Woke: loving DISCO ACID TRIP BOWL MOTHERFUCKERS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Somewhere in Pompeii under meters of ash there's a bowl just like that with Grandma Anus's hard ribbon candy preserved for eternity in it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It must have been some misunderstood genius of :catdrugs: pottery who never got his big mainstream break.

"Philistines! You always keep buying the same stuff, same same same, you should call it samian ware!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Broke: We must return to tradition. Gaze upon this stately white marble statue of a god, rendered in such perfect detail every lock of hair is perfectly in place.

The Pompeii book (which is great ) goes into this a big and it seems -just like now !- tastes changed over time and iirc Pompeii was entering a slightly less guady era when it died compared to like the 20 years before

I just love the insights from that book that people then were more or less the same as we are today

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grand Fromage posted:

I think you mean awfully awesome

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The painted statures must have been extremely eerie in candle light

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

I just love the insights from that book that people then were more or less the same as we are today

This is one if my favorite facts about history. People have been people for as long as we’ve been people. Yes, technology has improved, but we’re all still basically the same. Hades named his loving dog Spot, for example.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Brawnfire posted:

Grandma Anus

I laughed

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

The Pompeii book (which is great ) goes into this a big and it seems -just like now !- tastes changed over time and iirc Pompeii was entering a slightly less guady era when it died compared to like the 20 years before

What book?

Edit Mary Beard’s, I’m assuming, checked your posts. Ordered for Christmas!

gowb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 1, 2021

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Grand Fromage posted:

“Ah yes, the men of the Digital Age Collapse and their sky blue window poster prints. Such a sophisticated blend of light monochrome, such was their pride in producing blue inks”

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 1, 2021

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Well they are Italians after all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

romans would have loved their "aguafresca" toothpaste

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

euphronius posted:

it seems -just like now !- tastes changed over time

There absolutely were trends since forever, but our kind of obsessively revolving tastes in the modern day are at least partially a newer thing, and by design -- early 20th century product designers like Raymond Loewy explicitly pushed the idea that they could keep people buying things by actively refreshing branding/fashions, and companies have been doing it ever since. I know this isn't really what you were saying, but the impression they were just like us comes up from time to time and at least in this instance it's not really accurate. Tastes changed, but considerably more slowly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koramei posted:

There absolutely were trends since forever, but our kind of obsessively revolving tastes in the modern day are at least partially a newer thing, and by design -- early 20th century product designers like Raymond Loewy explicitly pushed the idea that they could keep people buying things by actively refreshing branding/fashions, and companies have been doing it ever since. I know this isn't really what you were saying, but the impression they were just like us comes up from time to time and at least in this instance it's not really accurate. Tastes changed, but considerably more slowly.

It also has to do with that fashion is generally not copyrightable so it’s only a short time before an expensive designer thing is knocked off. It’s basically only logos you can trademark which is why they become such a big part of the fashion. You always need to be selling something new.

In more ancient times the cost of certain fabrics and other clothing stuff could make stuff much more permanently in fashion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

The Pompeii book kind of goes against that , at least in the art forms preserved under the ash

I guess we could get hyper critical about the relative velocity of change

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pompeii is a good barometer because before the eruption there was an enormous earthquake that caused damage throughout the city which, therefore as a a result, was being widely renovated at the time of the eruption . So a comparison between then-contemporary design and what it was replacing can be seen

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was always under the impression that beer brewing in mesopotamia came about as a water safety sort of thing, but now I've found out they had perfectly fine water from deep wells and I'm all sorts of confused. Can someone give me a basic overview and possibly a link to a reasonably scholarly source on this if they have it handy?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That has come up many times in this thread, and iirc it's just a cliche that comes up again and again because it just seems like common sense. I don't think there's a lot of evidence to support it while you can find several references to drinking water in classical texts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I think people just like being drunk

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Beer is a decent source of calories and easier to store than bread, especially the type they drank. But it's also just fun to be drunk. If you're looking for a reason for it beyond intoxication, food storage makes more sense than hydration.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Thanks, I think it was just one of those things I heard years and years ago and never really thought too much about. Thanks for the confirmation

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If the water was contaminated, wouldn't any beer brewed from it turn out rank as all gently caress?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, even modern 40+% ABV liquor isn't a high enough concentration to disinfect anything. poo poo like hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol are 60-70% minimum for a reason. Ancient beer would just be germ goop, if anything less safe than the plain water.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think the idea relies on people boiling the wort as part of the brewing process. But I've even heard a professor (of classical literature) say in class that mixing water with wine might make it safer to drink.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I wonder if the dirty water trope came from water supply in a lot of cities in the 1800s being really bad and people just assumed that it applied to all history.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Malting your grain also makes it taste nice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fader Movitz posted:

I wonder if the dirty water trope came from water supply in a lot of cities in the 1800s being really bad and people just assumed that it applied to all history.

Victorian "historians" did so much damage its utterly amazing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Like they say in Ankh Morpork, water that's passed through so many kidneys has got to be clean.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You gotta bury the dead right next to the cathedral and/or churches that are strew all across the city. Water? We get that from wells all over the place. It tastes funny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Thanks, I think it was just one of those things I heard years and years ago and never really thought too much about. Thanks for the confirmation

It's a very very common myth, don't feel bad. Even though ancient people didn't understand the mechanism, they generally knew how to tell between safe and unsafe water and stuck to drinking the safe stuff.

Fader Movitz posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of the beliefs about short lifespans and terrible diets also come from retroactively projecting how bad life was for people in the early industrial age.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Siivola posted:

If the water was contaminated, wouldn't any beer brewed from it turn out rank as all gently caress?

I'd suspect that this is it honestly. When you open the bottle either wine or beer has obviously gone bad or it's clean.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd suspect that this is it honestly. When you open the bottle either wine or beer has obviously gone bad or it's clean.

gotta depend on what the contamination is, since the literal hour of boiling people often do to beer is gonna do some serious work

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a cross-talk about it too. A lot of people claim beer was safe to drink because it has alcohol in it, which is nonsense because the alcohol content is not even remotely high enough for that to work. It is true that freshly made beer is likely to be safer because it was boiled, but ancient people understood that boiling water made it safer, the beer part was incidental. And there was plenty of safe water too.

People drank a lot of beer because they liked drinking beer and drinking water all the time is boring. You don't have as many options for flavored drinks in the ancient world, small beer is one of them.