Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The tone of her voice also gave it away.

Seriously it’s amazing how incredibly awkward the entire interview is now knowing what happened.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxh4hnFKaHs

Emila’s face immediately changing at 48 second when the woman asks her if she’s happy with how things ended should be put in a museum.

You could tell pretty much The Whole cast were fed up with the later seasons and how key characters were left with nothing important to do..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Varys's actor has a pretty good reaction when he's reading the script where Varys dies.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

bobjr posted:

Varys's actor has a pretty good reaction when he's reading the script where Varys dies.

both Conleth Hill and Peter Dinklage seemed real irritated that their characters who were presented as v. smart in the GRRM seasons got real fuckin dumb in the D&D seasons

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMT5jJmvrE

I think Kit Harrington is the one that didn't read it beforehand?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
just :lol::laffo::lol: that they thought filming that was a good idea

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM’s agent put in a lot of PR work for him in this new HBO book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

both Conleth Hill and Peter Dinklage seemed real irritated that their characters who were presented as v. smart in the GRRM seasons got real fuckin dumb in the D&D seasons

Yeah plus sort of kills the appeal of character along with how both actors had great chemistry in the scenes in which they schemed and sized each other up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bobjr posted:

Throwing your script down like that when your colleague is mid-sentence seems like kind of an unprofessional thing to do. really shows how much it got under his skin imo.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
That's a far more dramatic take than how he actually does it in the clip. He's obviously unhappy with the script but that unhappiness is evident mostly in how he doesn't react.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

BiggestBatman posted:

That's a far more dramatic take than how he actually does it in the clip. He's obviously unhappy with the script but that unhappiness is evident mostly in how he doesn't react.

He also literally has nothing left to read because his character dies.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

etalian posted:

Yeah plus sort of kills the appeal of character along with how both actors had great chemistry in the scenes in which they schemed and sized each other up.

To be fair, sizing each other up is all they did towards the end

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Splendid posted:

To be fair, sizing each other up is all they did towards the end

"You should consider yourself lucky. At least your balls won't freeze off."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMT5jJmvrE

I think Kit Harrington is the one that didn't read it beforehand?

You can tell pretty well from his and Emilia Clarke's reactions they knew how bad it was. He's clearly momentarily stunned his character's big buildup to a confrontation with the Night King is completely nothing before he realizes he has to clap along with everyone else. Clarke is looking right at him trying to read how pissed he is through it. Both of them don't even try to pretend that Snow killing Dany was a good idea.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This wasn’t the ending that the actors or the fans deserved but its the ending GRRM deserved.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, when the series ended I at first felt bad for GRRM, but he has quite obviously stopped giving a poo poo about finishing the books so the show ending is really the only legacy he deserves.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
A fair few pages back now since I just caught up on this thread, but people were talking about Dany and he gently caress ups in Meereen and poo poo and, like, I kind of always felt that was the point, besides also her being entitled and vindictive.

She's kind of a parody of the chosen one/destined princess archetype, and also a contrast to Jon. Dany constantly makes the wrong choices, and is constantly given free poo poo - dragons, an army, etc - by life, but is such a fuckup she always pisses it away. She's playing on easy mode and being given free stuff, but still fucks up. But also still somehow fails upwards. While Jon is a guy who's had to struggle and fight for and earn everything he has, but despite making (more or less) all the right calls and generally being competent, he's constantly poo poo on and life is constantly taking away all his hard-earned victories. Dany's ultimate goal is selfish; to impose herself as queen on a people that don't even know she exists, and Jon's is selfless; to literally save the world from an existential threat.
Plus both are secret Targs, the scions of dead bloodlines, etc.

And I feel like that also ties in a bit with the whole central dichotomy of the series and why the show had warning signs from before it even aired: the Game of Thrones is pointless. It's one of the central, if not THE central, themes of the books. Playing petty politics and squabbling and bickering like children is worse than useless in the face of a looming existential threat. 'Who is going to sit on the iron throne?' is not merely a pointless question, it's an actively harmful one. 'I don't know or care.' Is the correct answer. 'How are we going to save ourselves from extinction at the hands of the coming Long Night?' is the question that matter.
The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire because that's what matters, not the Game of Thrones. And that's why even Littlefinger, despite being one of if not the best players of that game, is hosed. He's the best Crusader Kings player around, but he fails to realize he's actually playing Left 4 Dead.

By choosing to name the series 'Game of Thrones' and focusing so much more on that aspect and having Cersei not the Night King be the final boss, yeah. Even if the execution wasn't trash, they'd have still missed the whole central point.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
GRRMs buddies - Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham - today released their ninth and final main book in the Expanse series, the first of which came out a month before A Dance with Dragons. lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

acumen posted:

GRRMs buddies - Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham - today released their ninth and final main book in the Expanse series, the first of which came out a month before A Dance with Dragons. lol

Holy poo poo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

A fair few pages back now since I just caught up on this thread, but people were talking about Dany and he gently caress ups in Meereen and poo poo and, like, I kind of always felt that was the point, besides also her being entitled and vindictive.

She's kind of a parody of the chosen one/destined princess archetype, and also a contrast to Jon. Dany constantly makes the wrong choices, and is constantly given free poo poo - dragons, an army, etc - by life, but is such a fuckup she always pisses it away. She's playing on easy mode and being given free stuff, but still fucks up. But also still somehow fails upwards. While Jon is a guy who's had to struggle and fight for and earn everything he has, but despite making (more or less) all the right calls and generally being competent, he's constantly poo poo on and life is constantly taking away all his hard-earned victories. Dany's ultimate goal is selfish; to impose herself as queen on a people that don't even know she exists, and Jon's is selfless; to literally save the world from an existential threat.
Plus both are secret Targs, the scions of dead bloodlines, etc.

And I feel like that also ties in a bit with the whole central dichotomy of the series and why the show had warning signs from before it even aired: the Game of Thrones is pointless. It's one of the central, if not THE central, themes of the books. Playing petty politics and squabbling and bickering like children is worse than useless in the face of a looming existential threat. 'Who is going to sit on the iron throne?' is not merely a pointless question, it's an actively harmful one. 'I don't know or care.' Is the correct answer. 'How are we going to save ourselves from extinction at the hands of the coming Long Night?' is the question that matter.
The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire because that's what matters, not the Game of Thrones. And that's why even Littlefinger, despite being one of if not the best players of that game, is hosed. He's the best Crusader Kings player around, but he fails to realize he's actually playing Left 4 Dead.

By choosing to name the series 'Game of Thrones' and focusing so much more on that aspect and having Cersei not the Night King be the final boss, yeah. Even if the execution wasn't trash, they'd have still missed the whole central point.

Except GRRM hasn't written anything that makes the zombies matter and never will, whereas he wrote five books about the political machinations. It is not surprising they focused on the stuff that actually existed instead of the stuff that GRRM doesn't have a single solid idea about

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 1, 2021

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Haven't read the expanse but Daniel Abrams is responsible for the dagger and coin books which aspire to the political complications and magic beyond crazy lights that asoiaf pulls off so majestically but unfortunately mostly succeeded in being the first series where I've simply gone and thrown the last book in the trash after finishing it.

I'm happy to wait on a book that wraps things up in an organic way instead of braindead bullshit like that. No spoilers but don't bother anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Piell posted:

Except GRRM hasn't written anything that makes the zombies matter and never will, whereas he wrote five books about the political machinations. It is not surprising they focused on the stuff that actually existed instead of the stuff that GRRM doesn't have a single solid idea about

Also that poo poo blows and shoulda just been about political machinations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also that poo poo blows and shoulda just been about political machinations.

Yes. Explaining the Lord of the Rings mythology seems like a pretty boring option. I always liked the idea that the ice zombies are just an existential threat that the powers that be couldn’t be hosed to deal with because they have their own myopic political goals.

That seems to be a thesis to Ice & Fire, if it has one: human self-interest is incredibly destructive, and in a realistic setting, Lord of the Rings wouldn’t have worked out because what’s in it for me?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Piell posted:

The Others are kind of the big problem that make me think that even if George took an anti-aging potion and could write like the wind for the next hundred years, he would still need three or four more books to finish the series. All of the theory-crafting about how there could be peaceful solutions to the undead problem and that there are other societies on Planetos that could help, or this or that, and that George wouldn't end the problem with just one big battle. His narrative pace starting in Feast and Dance gets laborious, and any story that he would want to do that would make the undead plot more interesting would require thousands of pages at his current pace. I think George has a massive amount of Winds written, but that it would probably need to be over 2k pages if he wants to finish the series with just two books. He really screwed himself with the self-indulgence of Feast and Dance.

Slightly more on topic, but I saw this Reddit thread that mentioned ideas that George had for the show that got nixed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/rewqcd/spoilers_extended_things_that_changed_or_were/

And then this thread was linked in the replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/rf6mty/spoilers_extended_unused_elements_in_grrms_got/

Some are understandable in that they were likely cut for budgetary reasons, but it's really obvious that George probably felt that he had no control over his own show anymore.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Several years on I maintain the big mistake, Night King aside, was not having Dany kill Jon instead. Then she rules as another petty tyrant with delusions of grandeur. Jaime raises Cersei's baby in exile and plots to take back the throne.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jon killing Dany was a beautiful, fitting ending if you described it to somebody who hadn't seen it and they filled in the gaps in their imagination based on the good show we all watched until the final season.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Morrow posted:

Several years on I maintain the big mistake, Night King aside, was not having Dany kill Jon instead. Then she rules as another petty tyrant with delusions of grandeur. Jaime raises Cersei's baby in exile and plots to take back the throne.

If the last shot was it ending on him plotting, then knocking over a drink with his fake hand, I could go for it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

LividLiquid posted:

Jon killing Dany was a beautiful, fitting ending if you described it to somebody who hadn't seen it and they filled in the gaps in their imagination based on the good show we all watched until the final season.

really a lot of the big plot beats in the final season would have been fine with more competent execution

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yall see that poo poo that dumbass said?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The actors all deserved better. The story and realism did, too, even if it was a soap opera with magic and levels of technology that made no sense. The showrunners were decent at setting up "cool shots" but not anything else. Nothing new here.

Shotcaller was p dang good if y'all wanna see more Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That DICK! posted:

yall see that poo poo that dumbass said?

Which one?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

peter dinklage. he said people didnt like the got ending because they wanted the pretty white people to win. and he said, "it's fiction, there's dragons in it."

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I did want white people to win, I just wanted it to be the white walkers.

Every character should have died at the end, their characters were already assassinated.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That DICK! posted:

peter dinklage. he said people didnt like the got ending because they wanted the pretty white people to win. and he said, "it's fiction, there's dragons in it."

Dude is probably bitter that’s he’s typecast to this series for the rest of his life despite acting
since the 90s.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dude is probably bitter that’s he’s typecast to this series for the rest of his life despite acting
since the 90s.

I’m going to say this as kindly as possible and it doesn’t really matter because he is absolutely typecast, but he’s the least typecast little person ever.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't think I've seen a worse take on the fans' hatred for the ending than Dinklage's.

"fans wanted the pretty white people to win."

The white people loving WON while the people of color, let's see, Missandei got captured and executed and chained to make Dany sad, Grey Worm became complicit in mass-murder (along with his entire army), and I can't think of any other notable people of color which probably says something about the series as a whole. I'd bring up the Dothraki but frankly they were nothing but a bad Mongol rip-off.

Meanwhile Jon commits LITERAL MURDER and his only punishment is to be sent off to hang with his best friends, Tyrion is frightfully incompetent in the last few seasons but is given back the position of Hand of the King, Sam is completely unqualified to be Grand Maester but gets put on the Small Council all the same...

Hell, I could bring up the entire point about how the """""noble""""" North had Dany and her armies lay their lives on the line for them and they were completely ungrateful because "they aren't from here."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

I’m going to say this as kindly as possible and it doesn’t really matter because he is absolutely typecast, but he’s the least typecast little person ever.

He’ll always be the wake up call guy on Seinfeld to me.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

he was good in the station agent which is a nice little movie.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Death At a Funeral

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The Others are kind of the big problem that make me think that even if George took an anti-aging potion and could write like the wind for the next hundred years, he would still need three or four more books to finish the series. All of the theory-crafting about how there could be peaceful solutions to the undead problem and that there are other societies on Planetos that could help, or this or that, and that George wouldn't end the problem with just one big battle. His narrative pace starting in Feast and Dance gets laborious, and any story that he would want to do that would make the undead plot more interesting would require thousands of pages at his current pace. I think George has a massive amount of Winds written, but that it would probably need to be over 2k pages if he wants to finish the series with just two books. He really screwed himself with the self-indulgence of Feast and Dance.

The only way that finishing in 2 books makes sense to me is if the 2 books wrap up The Game of Thrones, but the Others fester. Then, the series ends with a ruined 7 kingdoms, no supplies for a long winter and a army of undead beginning to swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't think I've seen a worse take on the fans' hatred for the ending than Dinklage's.

"fans wanted the pretty white people to win."

maybe he meant the white walkers