Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to December. Hope you all enjoy the Holidays. Mask up and Vaccinate for Omicron

Current Events:
- New COVID Variant: Omicron - COVID Thread for COVID stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298
- Chris Cuomo suspended from CNN for helping his brother attack his accusers
- Inflation skyrocketing fastest since 1990
- School Shooting in Oxford, Michigan
- Dr. Oz running for Congress in Pennsylvania (despite living in New Jersey)
- Killers of Ahmaud Aubrey found guilty - Previous Prosecutor arrested for misconduct.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

first

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Is the worst :getin:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

poo poo

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
No mention of the biggest crisis facing the nation this December. For shame. :colbert:
https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1465704609997983766?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baronash posted:

No mention of the biggest crisis facing the nation this December.

Crazy how suddenly there's a shortage of overweight men of retirement age, wonder why that may be

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baronash posted:

No mention of the biggest crisis facing the nation this December.

Gee, I wonder why so many old men with beards might be missing...

e: EHF me and you are of the same mind.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I'll be stickin' pins in your head like a fuckin' nurse.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'll be stickin' pins in your head like a fuckin' nurse.

Like the Hellraiser franchise, get put in a hearse

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kalit posted:

I keep trying to provide things such as

But then you keep ignoring it and then pointing to irrelevant points, such as when DMFI PAC had people contribute to it, not when DMFI PAC starting pumping money into the primary.

As of July 29, DMFI had spent over $2 million in the race. I can't find a timeline of when they began spending money in the race, but it seems unlikely to me that they spent it all in the week leading up that disclosure.

quote:

The sooner leftists like you start realizing that maybe electoral strategies need to change, the sooner we can actually get progressives elected on a larger scale. Until then, keep yelling into the void about how the current strategies would work just fine if it wasn't for those unfair libs, I guess :rolleyes:

This is kind of a weird thing to say, after I flat-out said that I'm not an electoralist. No one's denying that Turner ran a bad campaign; obviously she did. But it's strange to me that you're denying that dark money had an effect in the outcome of the race.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

there is only one Santa though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

a.lo posted:

there is only one Santa though

Those are Santa's helpers, and we've murdered them with COVID.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the first time i ever saw a santa in the flesh, it was a mall santa that showed up to work drunk and threw up on a cop while his elf helpers were recording the whole thing with the camera that they were supposed to be using for memento pictures

nothing will ever top that santa

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Those are Santa's helpers, and we've murdered them with COVID.

Now Santa is pissed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kith posted:

the first time i ever saw a santa in the flesh, it was a mall santa that showed up to work drunk and threw up on a cop while his elf helpers were recording the whole thing with the camera that they were supposed to be using for memento pictures

nothing will ever top that santa

This is what we call "praxis"

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

As of July 29, DMFI had spent over $2 million in the race. I can't find a timeline of when they began spending money in the race, but it seems unlikely to me that they spent it all in the week leading up that disclosure.

This is kind of a weird thing to say, after I flat-out said that I'm not an electoralist. No one's denying that Turner ran a bad campaign; obviously she did. But it's strange to me that you're denying that dark money had an effect in the outcome of the race.

I never denied it had an any effect on the race :rolleyes: I just find it extremely hard to believe that it changed the outcome of a race that was won by nearly 6 points

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 1, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Are you seriously trying to compare a foreign power spending <.1% of a campaign's war chest to influence an election vs a foreign power spending >40% of a campaign's war chest

Calling American Jews a "foreign power" is pretty yikes.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
For some reason this made me think of when my daughter realized Santa wasn't real, but still fervently believed in the tooth fairy. There's something about that that just makes me chuckle.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If the districts stay the same it will be 45% of the votes getting 64% of the state legislature. Hell it probably be worse.
https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1465799023474970636

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1465818586509938692

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think new inflation numbers have come out yet, but this should be highlighted: If 6% CPI inflation, 5% ex-food and energy is causing liberal elites to panick-snap back to austerity and cause, along with the new covid wave, a recession that will guarantee the return of Trump and friends, no leftist (frankly no-one period) should vote for a Democrat ever again under any circumstances

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kalit posted:

I never denied it had an effect in the race :rolleyes: I find it extremely hard to believe that it changed the outcome of the race that was won by nearly 6 points

6 points = 4,000 votes. Like I said, it was a low turnout election. Brown benefited from a high turnout among conservative Jewish voters, who were partially driven by DMFI's smear campaign against Turner.

e: Public Citizen agrees with me -

quote:

Craig Holman, an ethics lobbyist at progressive watchdog Public Citizen, said the outside spending by DMFI was upending the race. “Nina Turner had been enjoying a comfortable lead for Congress in this Ohio district, reflecting her constituents’ support for progressive policies such as Medicare for All and the Green New Deal,” Holman said. “But that lead has been fading as the Democratic Majority for Israel super PAC has raised huge amounts of special interest money from outside the district and is spending much of that money late in the election cycle targeting Turner.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Calling American Jews a "foreign power" is pretty yikes.

That pretty clearly was not what they were doing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 1, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Epic High Five posted:

Crazy how suddenly there's a shortage of overweight men of retirement age, wonder why that may be
Close the thread already, this is the best post we’re gonna get

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

6 points = 4,000 votes. Like I said, it was a low turnout election. Brown benefited from a high turnout among conservative Jewish voters, who were partially driven by DMFI's smear campaign against Turner.

And like I stated before, it was not a low turnout. It was about the same as 2020 and was higher than 2018. And, like I stated before, if you want to complain about low turnout, you should complain about Turner's campaign not motivating new people to turn out for this primary. Which, if that's the case, we would have had the same election outcome without the dark money.

Majorian posted:

e: Public Citizen agrees with me -

quote:

is spending much of that money late in the election cycle targeting Turner.”

So probably started spending much of that money after Brown had caught up in polling? Yep, that totally supports your claim!

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 1, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bugsy posted:

If the districts stay the same it will be 45% of the votes getting 64% of the state legislature. Hell it probably be worse.

Dems got 45% of the state assembly vote in 2020, and 45% in 2016. Can't find numbers for previous years but the basic problem is Democrats aren't competitive anywhere in the state outside of Madison and the city limits of Milwaukee. I actually went back and looked through older election results and Dems have essentially never been competitive in the northeastern quadrant of the state with Green Bay and such despite it being reasonably urbanized. Dems won Brown County (Green Bay) in 2008 and 1996, has been R every other presidential election since 64. Historically the Dems were actually more competitive in the truly rural-nowhere northwest circular part with mining and logging camps and poo poo. Non-gerrymandered maps would still produce Republican majorities most of the time except in wave years like 2018

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 1, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kalit posted:

And like I stated before, it was not a low turnout. It was about the same as 2020 and was higher than 2018. So, like I stated before, if you want to complain about low turnout, you should complain about Turner's campaign not motivating new people to turn out for this primary. Which, if that's the case, we would have had the same election outcome without the dark money.

Marcia Fudge ran unopposed in the 2018 primary and virtually unopposed in 2020. Those were also low-turnout races.

quote:

So probably started spending much of that money after Brown had caught up in polling? Yep, that totally supports your claim!

The quote I posted attributed Brown catching up in the polls to dark-money attacks on Turner.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Bugsy posted:

The Majority Opinion posted:

Claims of political unfairness in the maps present political questions, not legal ones.
I read this and drat near sent my laptop through the loving window.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to December. Hope you all enjoy the Holidays. Mask up and Vaccinate for Omicron

Current Events:
- New COVID Variant: Omicron

Take it to the Covid thread. :colbert:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Baronash posted:

No mention of the biggest crisis facing the nation this December. For shame. :colbert:

WHY WON'T BIDEN RELEASE THE STRATEGIC SANTA RESERVE

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

That pretty clearly was not what they were doing.

Calling an American Jewish group funded by American citizens a "foreign power that funded 40% of her campaign" and equating it to another "foreign power" interference campaign of secret spending by the Russian government is pretty awkward. The whole "dual-loyalty" and foreign power thing is a pretty common trope.

At least let us have Hanukkah without it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 1, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baronash posted:

I'm gonna send my laptop through the loving window.

Massively insane gerrymandering is not only the norm, but it's blessed by the SCOTUS without reservation. Honestly at this point the problem isn't that chuds are doing it but that the Dems aren't because it has full legal blessing now. Illinois should be every seat except for 1 in Chicago proper and the rest of the state having just one, for example. Let the chuds experience congressional representation as I have my entire life imho

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This morning Twitter rolled out a new safety policy against posting images of people without their consent, and as expected it's being used by chuds to successfully mass report against anti-fascists.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1465860695287742469

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

UnknownMercenary posted:

This morning Twitter rolled out a new safety policy against posting images of people without their consent, and as expected it's being used by chuds to successfully mass report against anti-fascists.

This was ridiculously ill-conceived from the start and it was obvious when they announced this that allowing automated takedowns was going to lead to this exact outcome. It's a good thought, but terrible execution.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

In news that's shocking to no one, left-aligned movements have become the targets of systems we were assured were only going to be used to target The Bad Guys!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

Take it to the Covid thread. :colbert:

Yes, COVID discussion remains in the COVID thread.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah this is basically exactly what everyone knew would happen with the new policy. Its loving awful.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Calling an American Jewish group funded by American citizens a "foreign power that funded 40% of her campaign" and equating it to another "foreign power" interference campaign of secret spending by the Russian government is pretty awkward. The whole "dual-loyalty" and foreign power thing is a pretty common trope.

At least let us have Hanukkah without it.

That was poorly-worded, but I think they meant to label DMFI an outside dark money group, not a foreign power.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's some horrible nightmare fuel of the school shooter trying to lure out a classroom full of students after he already killed three people by pretending to be a cop telling them that the shooting was over and they needed to come out.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1465802106867269634

I was around for Columbine, so school shootings aren't a new invention, but cell phones and the increasing frequency of school shootings makes it impossible to imagine what going to school in 2021 is like.

The calmness of all the kids is the most terrifying part.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 1, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree. The fact that they immediately knew what was going on and how to react is both relieving and horrendous.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's Rich Eisen, who is normally a big college football fan, giving a pretty detailed description of how the new $100 million LSU contract for college football coaches is accelerating college sports' transformation with more and more money going back into football and causing smaller schools to gamble huge amounts of money to compete.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1465764414544433152

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

In news that's shocking to no one, left-aligned movements have become the targets of systems we were assured were only going to be used to target The Bad Guys!

Well, to them we ARE the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Well, to them we ARE the bad guys.

Yup. The left will always be at odds with corporate profits and too many guillotine jokes will scare off investors.