Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

the rumor is that the maintenance guys were using them as kneeling pads/stepping points to prevent damage when climbing in and around the intakes

needing this sounds like a pretty significant design flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i agree, yeah. we should put pillows on every sharp edge in the world so that people don't have to wear shoes or whatever

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
if the place that your maintenance crew needs to climb on to work on your thing is damaged by them climbing on it then it seems pretty important to have an official solution to that problem rather than just hoping that what they come up with won't have any surprise new problems

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
new f35 block includes $4m to develop knee pads for the maintenance crews

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Plorkyeran posted:

if the place that your maintenance crew needs to climb on to work on your thing is damaged by them climbing on it then it seems pretty important to have an official solution to that problem rather than just hoping that what they come up with won't have any surprise new problems

my friend, this is a military jet on a military aircraft carrier. the people in charge are people who have no job options outside of the military so they stay in forever. some are smart. a lot are morons. this is universal regardless of which nation you're talking about.

the maintenance people up there are people in their late teens or early twenties. this doesn't absolve them, but it explains their behavior. also, there probably is an official solution - people are lazy and using the covers instead is easier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://i.imgur.com/VNssTvz.mp4

there's a good reason they don't let them have toasters in their barracks rooms.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the official solution probably takes twice as long and involves you contorting yourself into an uncomfortable position to avoid touching the surface everyone else just puts the makeshift kneepad on

and you're gonna get verbally and perhaps physically abused for falling behind if you do it the official way instead of the expedient way that everyone else does

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Nice! posted:

the people in charge are people who have no job options outside of the military so they stay in forever.

there's gotta be a joke here about programmers having to create terms like tech debt to describe constantly cutting corners which produce disastrous outcomes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stringent posted:

there's gotta be a joke here about programmers having to create terms like tech debt to describe constantly cutting corners which produce disastrous outcomes

https://terminallance.com/2012/07/26/terminal-lance-214-meritorious/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wait, how is that different from real world promotion systems?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Stringent posted:

wait, how is that different from real world promotion systems?

because nobody in the real world can do 20 pull ups

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

kitten emergency posted:

i can do 20 over the course of several sets

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kitten emergency posted:

good point

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fart simpson posted:

i can do 20 over the course of several sets

that doesn't count

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PIZZA.BAT posted:

now see if it were me i would simply design a plane that never crashed

why do we not simply design unhackable computers and uncrashable cars?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

why do we not simply design unhackable computers and uncrashable cars?

nobody wants them they want teslas and pcs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

that's not the correct analogy here. this isn't one small fuckup destroying the plane; it is a chain of mistakes that all had to happen one after another.

if the rumors are true, the situation might be:

- maintenance crew did not properly remove and stow the intake covers
- maintenance crew improperly used the intake covers as kneeling mats
- maintenance crew left the kneeling mat inside the intake after finishing their work
- pilot did not perform adequate preflight inspection
- pilot did not perform adequate engine run-up, or did not realize engine performance loss in run-up
- aircraft was not designed to alert the pilot to foreign debris in the intake
- engine was not able to recover from ingestion of intake cover
- pilot did not respond quickly enough to power loss to stop before going over the edge
- brakes were not powerful enough to reject the takeoff before going over the edge

if any one of those things were different, the plane would not have been lost.

to use your analogy, this is a case where there is one button you have to push to have the plane not crash. you could have the plane check if the button was pushed, but it wasn't designed that way. it's okay though because there are 37 people who are supposed to inspect the button before takeoff and make sure that it was pushed, and this time every one of them failed to do so.
there's a reason the murphy's law guy was an aerospace engineer lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, it really was a single fuckup causing the destruction of a $100 million plane: building a $100 million plane to begin with

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I read this whole post

I scrolled past, same thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

were it me, i would simply have not defended the 100-million-dollar child-impoverishing machine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

were it me, i would simply have not defended the 100-million-dollar child-impoverishing machine

otoh it has a pretty good children-not-blown-up/dollar-spent ratio for military equipment, so it is impossible to say whether it is good or bad

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

it sounds like this one managed to crash without flying

american ingenuity :911:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

raminasi posted:

american ingenuity :911:

can America build a plane so poo poo that, over its operational lifetime, it takes out more american targets by crashing itself into the sea than adversary targets?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

the f-35 hasn't killed anyone yet except one japanese pilot, and it has actually enrichened some children of beltway insiders; so,

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1466089097102041089?s=21

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The fact that loving Kavanaugh, of all people, is apparently the median vote here has got me feeling very depressed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yup. it's done. abortion is going to be a state by state issue now. the decision hasn't been penned, but it's done.

kav thinks overturning this is the same as overturning legal segregation and believes it to be an issue for the states. barrett said that since every state allows no-fault adoption, there's no need for abortion at all. alito, thomas, and gorsuch are all somewhere between the three.

roberts wants the viability threshold moved to 15 weeks as a compromise. he will not be able to get 5 votes.

it is possible that this turns into a giant clusterfuck with multiple concurrences and no controlling opinion. there will be a plurality in the concurrences that roe and casey are null. beyond that it'll be something dumb where only three or four of the shithead judges sign onto any single opinion so everything is just a complete clusterfuck.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to borrow a phrase,

demon cracker nation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"somebody should do something!"
- literally the exact people in charge of doing something about it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They're coming for birth control next.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

barrett said that since every state allows no-fault adoption, there's no need for abortion at all.

GET hosed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

qirex posted:

"somebody should do something!"
- literally the exact people in charge of doing something about it

until there are 60 senators that want legal abortion, abortion is going to be a state by state issue.

biden will attempt to withhold federal healthcare funds from states that ban abortion, but it isn't likely that the scotus will uphold such an order.

i don't really wanna doompost, but america is kindof loving done. i have trouble seeing anything getting better long term in the big picture sense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

she will have a concurrence with no less than 2 other chudges on board justifying an outright ban on abortion in light of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Not a Children posted:

They're coming for birth control next.

griswold v connecticut is the precedent for roe. it was a case over a law connecticut law that required a woman to get husband's consent before they could get the pill. it's always been the real target, because a shitload of due process law flows from them. it's why thomas always writes a concurrence or a dissent anything due process incorporation is used. it's always been that crew's goal to get rid of due process incorporation, because that's how the feds are able to force most civil rights type legislation onto the states.

this court is stripping the feds of power, and is going to continue to do so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have i said "time to split the nation" recently

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm only doomposting here because exclusively the doomposting thread. but poo poo is going sideways in this country and it is not getting better. the senate is gerrymandered by design. its getting worse. in less than a decade, the majority of us citizens will have fewer than 40 senators. the supreme court is entrenched with fundamentalists. the number of states that get permanently entrenched with republican supermajorities in their legislature due to gerrymandering grows each year.

there's no way to vote yourself out of this situation. i don't see our nation surviving. it won't in its current form. the scotus is going to get rid of chevron which is going to destroy the power of the executive agencies. every single regulation will be struck down by chudges on the federal bench around the nation. poo poo is going to get worse before it gets better, and i'm not able to see right now how it gets better.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

can America build a plane so poo poo that, over its operational lifetime, it takes out more american targets by crashing itself into the sea than adversary targets?

valkyrie?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/ashleyn1cole/status/1466106661785903107

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Sagebrush posted:

didn't mention cheese this time though.

even a brief pun could have prevented this. The post was gouda but 3/10 overall.