Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Someone should let Mike Finnigan know since he sells Tshirts and Stickers for German Slur Rig University.

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I stopped watching Roadkill quite awhile ago because they're pretty clear they have lovely opinions about race, so ... good luck

That and you have to pay to watch it as well as funding all Motortrends other crap.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I stopped watching Roadkill quite awhile ago because they're pretty clear they have lovely opinions about race, so ... good luck

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Krakkles posted:

Any further info on this? I can't find anything on google about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

My father worked doing insurance evals on crash damaged cars. He quit it after they brought in an 80s Ford Capri 2.8i that had a fatality in the accident. He found a severed leg in the rear that the police had missed.

A buddy of mine worked as a train mechanic. They had a guy, a single designated guy, who had a whole closed off bay to himself at the depot. His job was to clean up the trains after running over animals and suicides.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I picked it up from the show - there's a ton of scenes where they talk about how a (something lovely about a car) is "really Mexican" and the like. I find it exceptionally ironic because their key thing is doing things just barely good enough to work, which ... is lovely car maintenance.

The last episode I remember watching was the wheel standing truck, if that helps narrow it down.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea it took me longer than the wheel standing truck to notice but I stopped watching too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Someone should let Mike Finnigan know since he sells Tshirts and Stickers for German Slur Rig University.

fortunately, it's no longer racist to make fun of germans. they burned that one a while back

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are you talking about it WWII, the thing that anyone who had any real involvement in are dead?

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Are you talking about it WWII, the thing that anyone who had any real involvement in are dead?

yeap. that one was definitely a "seven generations of your sons will carry the curse" kind of deal

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's definitely still racist to be racist about Germans, hope this helps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that Cinema Disco was the only forum that cared about things like “Jerrys” or “frogs”.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I thought that Cinema Disco was the only forum that cared about things like “Jerrys” or “frogs”.
It's codified in the rules here, too:

Elmnt80 posted:

[#6] This isn't a 1950's rural backwoods shop. Racist, homophobic, ableist, mysoginistic and transphobic language isn't welcome.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

wait until you guys learn about metal gasoline containers.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Yep

Edit: In a completely unsurprising twist, the name "Jerrican" [sic] is codified in US federal regulations. :psyduck:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 29, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

Ah yes, jury cans

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krakkles posted:

It's definitely still racist to be racist about Germans, hope this helps

Germans... are not a race.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You do understand that "race" is a common stand-in or effective synonym for "ethnic group", yes?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This whole argument is getting tedious. It's not loving hard to stop and think for five seconds before opening your mouth and not say something that is offensive to someone's ethnicity, identity or anything else.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrChips posted:

This whole argument is getting tedious. It's not loving hard to stop and think for five seconds before opening your mouth and not say something that is offensive to someone's ethnicity, identity or anything else.
Agreed completely. The world will be a better place when we all do this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure if you want to destroy ALL CONCEIVABLE HUMOR

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I went to a comedy show were there was a lot of race based humor, then the headliner came up and loving burned down the house with a set that contained not only no racial/sexist/bigoted observation, but the guy didn't even swear. There is absolutely no merit to what you just claimed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am being sarcastic just to be abundantly clear

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It needs to stated, considering there are people in this very thread who are unironically saying "You can't be racist to Germans" for various reasons like "they deserve it" and "WELL AKSHUALLY German isn't a race". Didn't think there were racists in AI, but one thing about racists is that they always seem to out themselves with very little coercion.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It does kinda bake my beans that he's invented some really useful turns of phrase. I mutter "cut towards your chum, not your thumb" to myself whenever I'm breaking down boxes.
I still use "tighten till it loosens, the back it off a quarter turn" but I don't worry about giving him credit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fifty Three posted:

I still use "tighten till it loosens, the back it off a quarter turn" but I don't worry about giving him credit.

I've been using that phrase and variations of it for at least a quarter of a century

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not confident AvE invented the majority of his shop banter, and I know 'c-hair' at least was already widespread

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I'm not confident AvE invented the majority of his shop banter, and I know 'c-hair' at least was already widespread

Yea, the vast majority of it existed in some form or another, he's just popularized some phrases that should have stayed where they came from.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I disagree; those particular phrases shouldn't stay anywhere at alll, but I don't think we're really disagreeing.

It's a shame because AvE was pretty decent when he wasn't being lovely.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it when he just took apart tools and compared the insides. But he doesn't even really do that anymore.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Memento posted:

I've been using that phrase and variations of it for at least a quarter of a century
I figured that might be the case. Now I'll give Something Awful Comedy Forums User Memento credit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

um excuse me posted:

I liked it when he just took apart tools and compared the insides. But he doesn't even really do that anymore.
dude’s getting a couple hundred grand a year in patreon money every year, he doesn’t have to do anything at all

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The BOLTRs got very same-y and boring to me. Glass reinforced nylon, powdered metal gears, cheap grease, ten minute rant on corpo shills, great I just wasted 30 minutes watching a video I've already seen a dozen times before. The content itself drove me away before his chuddiness. But I'm just some rear end in a top hat who skips all the ads on YouTube, he misses me as much as I miss him.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

um excuse me posted:

It needs to stated, considering there are people in this very thread who are unironically saying "You can't be racist to Germans" for various reasons like "they deserve it" and "WELL AKSHUALLY German isn't a race". Didn't think there were racists in AI, but one thing about racists is that they always seem to out themselves with very little coercion.

You know what: I'll die on this hill.

No German would be insulted by "Jerry". It's basically unknown there, and people would think you referred to the one that fights with Tom. All I can find suggests that even Germans that know about the historical use are 100% ok with it. It appears to be about as bad as referring to Americans as Yanks or the English as Limeys or Tommies.

But sure, white knight a country over a "racist" nickname the actual country has no problem with and that doesn't actually imply anything about their relative worth.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 1, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Computer viking posted:

You know what: I'll die on this hill.

No German would be insulted by "Jerry". It's basically unknown there, and people would think you referred to the one that fights with Tom. All I can find suggests that even Germans that know about the historical use are 100% ok with it. It appears to be about as bad as referring to Americans as Yanks or the English as Limeys or Tommies.

But sure, white knight a country over a "racist" nickname the actual country has no problem with and that doesn't actually imply anything about their relative worth.
That's where you lost me.

You could only believe that if you've never heard an American or British WWII vet (or someone who aligns their beliefs with, raised by, etc.) refer to Germans as Jerries. It absolutely drips with implied meaning.

I won't claim any insight into how Germans feel about it, but the point is "stop demeaning other people with your language", not "stop doing things that someone who I think has a right to has specifically made a claim I think is valid about being offended by".

This reasoning is the same reason it's perfectly accepted for Australian goons to use a derogatory term for Americans ("seppos") here, and it's stupid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Krakkles posted:

That's where you lost me.

You could only believe that if you've never heard an American or British WWII vet (or someone who aligns their beliefs with, raised by, etc.) refer to Germans as Jerries. It absolutely drips with implied meaning.

That's a very fair point. I don't know if it applies to current users, though - it seems unlikely that anyone below 80 today uses "jerry rig" because they like the implied insult to the Germans?

quote:

I won't claim any insight into how Germans feel about it, but the point is "stop demeaning other people with your language", not "stop doing things that someone who I think has a right to has specifically made a claim I think is valid about being offended by".

This reasoning is the same reason it's perfectly accepted for Australian goons to use a derogatory term for Americans ("seppos") here, and it's stupid.

It's more "if you get offended on behalf of a group of people who absolutely don't care, and where the people using the term today also don't intend to insult them, maybe you are just looking for a fight".

In the Australian case it's probably more about power dynamics and kicking up against cultural dominance and the like, but that's a whole mess I'll stay out of.

e: I'll stick to "jury rig", though.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 1, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
No one in germany knows jerry as an insult or cares whatsoever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SEKCobra posted:

No one in germany knows jerry as an insult or cares whatsoever.
I am a born Canadian but "pedigreed" German with family that came over shortly after WW2 and parents/aunts suffered through all the baggage that entailed.. and even a bit myself in the 70s (I have a German first and last name). I've been back a few times to the old country, I can absolutely agree that the above is true. It's literally a non-issue.

One thing that is likely to annoy a German is casual throwing around the term/label Nazi. But that's another topic.

e: This is really kinda drifting off topic of the thread. Was going to post some material but imgur poo poo the bed :(

https://i.imgur.com/Ufwz7gm.mp4

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a fine line between :mmmhmm: and :pwn:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love how the girlfriend hardly seems fazed. Kinda looks at the guy on the jack like, well?

https://i.imgur.com/iIthDlx.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

yup, not much else to do at this point but go home for the rest day/week/career