Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for November, 2021?
This poll is closed.
BIG E (WWE Champion) 2 2.06%
:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (GHC Champion) 13 13.40%
:vd: Shingo Takagi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.06%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 4 4.12%
:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) 1 1.03%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.03%
Moose (Impact World Champion) 1 1.03%
:jihad: Bandido (PWG World Champion) 0 0%
:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:sweep: Kenny Omega (FORMER AEW Champion) 2 2.06%
:unsmith: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) 65 67.01%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (FORMER ICEx∞ Champion) 1 1.03%
:chef: Tsukushi Haruka (ICEx∞ Champion) 3 3.09%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.03%
:amen: None of the Above 1 1.03%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In October, for only the second time since polling began, TJPW's Princess of Princess Champion won the Champion Poll of the month, 9 months after the first time. But it wasn't the living embodiment of pure evil, Yuka Sakazaki who pulled off the feat this time, but the living embodiment of being an enormously cool badass, Miyu Yamashita! This marked the 5th separate promotion this year to win the top spot in our monthly poll, matching the same total as last year managed in a full year. It wasn't even close, after September's single vote win in October the clear winner was Miyu, an unbelievably cool woman with some of the best kicks in wrestling (seriously, Malakai Black lost his mind watching her deliver kicks in the ring!), a best friend with an iron head, and the best "bad motherfucker" walk on her ring entrance since Stone Cold Steve Austin. If you haven't seen Miyu Yamashita in action you really should, because she's incredible, and clearly plenty of people agree since with almost triple the votes of 2nd place-getter BIG E, she was October's Champion of the Month!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Charlotte Flair (Smackdown), Jake Lee (AJPW), Jon Moxley (GCW), Konosuke Takeshita (DDT), Minoru Fujita (Gatoh Move ChocoPro), Miyu Yamashita (TJPW), Roman Reigns (WWE Universal) & Ryo Mizunami (SEAdLINNG) did not defend their titles this month so have been temporarily dropped from the poll. With ROH set to shut down shop for a few months and then restart sometime next year, it is possible ROH is done as an option on this poll, only time will tell. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

BIG E (WWE Champion) - After wrapping up October with a successful title defense against former champion Drew McIntyre at the Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia, BIG E discovered the less glamorous side of the job when his only title defense in November was against... Austin Theory? He's also caught up in the middle of a feud between Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens.

:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (GHC Champion) - Nakajima may be the Champion of NOAH, but he's not the (official) leader of his faction Kongo. So when leader Kenoh offered to put his GHC National Title up against Nakajima's GHC Championship in a bid to get the main event of the January 1st Budokan show, how could he say no. The two friends and stablemates proceeded to BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF EACH OTHER for an hour straight, neither quite able to get the edge of the other. The main event ended in a draw, though arguably Nakajima was in the ascendant position as things wrapped up. Before the two really had a chance to reflect on what they'd put themselves through though, former champion Go Shiozaki returned from a lengthy injury absence looking 20 years younger and ready to aim for another title reign to go along with the one many claimed was the best of the COVID era in Japanese wrestling. Nakajima was happy to accept, while poor pissy Kenoh ends up out in the cold which will make him seethe and rage... which to be fair he'd probably have been doing anyway.

:vd: Shingo Takagi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - All eyes are on January for New Japan, especially with the shocking but welcome announcement that the third night of Wrestle Kingdom would strongly feature New Japan vs. NOAH matches as part of New Japan's 50th Anniversary Celebrations. But before Shingo could get to January, he had to get through November, and past a wrestler who had one hell of a G1 of his own: Zack Sabre Jr. In an excellent 30 minute match, Shingo took every overwhelming bit of grapplefuckery that the windy man, the long mover could hit him with, and came out on top to retain his title. Will Ospreay claims to be the REAL Champion. Okada is carrying around the old belt and being a (gloriously) smug dickhead. But Shingo is the OFFICIAL champion and he'll end the year as such.... after that is 2022's problem.

Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) - Utami continued her dominance over Stardom in November with two title defenses in the Super Wars, defeating the returning Hazuki in Kawasaki before defeating her long time rival, Maika, in the main event of Tokyo Super Wars, ensuring that Utami will main event Stardom's return to Sumo Hall. The woman standing across from her will be Syuri, with whom she has already had a 5.5 star classic this year. With tag team partner Saya Kamitani challenging for the Wonder of Stardom Championship in the semi-main, AphroditE and Queen's Quest could rule supreme over Ryogoku. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Despite her own successful career, Mickie had a lot to prove after Deonna Purrazzo's highly regarded title run. An 8 minute victory over Madison Rayne the day after winning the belt in October doesn't exactly sound like an exciting start, but at Turning Point she defeated another highly regarded veteran in Mercedes Martinez in a 10-minute match to try and affirm her status as the top women in the company yet again.

:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) - She might have gotten her Raw title in the stupidest way possible, but at least Becky Lynch defended it this month. In a near 20-minute match against Bianca Belair on the first day of the month, she defeated the "EST of WWE" in her ongoing bid to cement that she is still "The Man" in WWE.

Moose (Impact World Champion) - After his 7 second victory over Josh Alexander to rain all over the latter's parade, Moose put his working boots on and put the time in for his first defense of the title. In a 30+ minute Full Metal Mayhem match, Moose defeated Eddie Edwards to retain his title and show he wasn't just a guy who had to take unfair advantage in order to earn his spot at the top of the promotion.

:jihad: Bandido (PWG World Champion) - ROH might be temporarily(?) gone, but PWG remains, and Bandido made his third defense of the title in 3 months (after over a year without a defense due to Covid!) by defeating Alex Shelley at the It's A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) event.

:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) - After a lengthy buildup to a match that strongly focused on whether Tay Conti was just another pretty face, Britt discovered that Tay was actually a reckless killer happy to beat the absolute poo poo out of her. The two had a comparatively "short" match at only 15 minutes, but made every second count with a brutal match that eventually the good doctor was able to come out on top of. She felt she'd be safe after that to sit back and watch most of the other women wrestlers scrapping it out to win the new TBS Title, only to accidentally gently caress things up for her enforcer Jamie Hayter AND to lose an unexpected match against former Champion Riho which has earned her another shot at Britt's belt coming up soon.

:sweep: Kenny Omega (FORMER AEW Champion) - For almost a year, Kenny Omega had ruled smugly over AEW after cheating a victory over Jon Moxley. Using every trick in the book, including very clever (and infuriating!) use of manager Don Callis, Kenny reveled in being The Cleaner and taunting and mocking his foes like some kind of cartoon supervillain. All throughout that time though, there had been the ongoing parallel story of his former underling, then tag partner, then rival... Hangman Adam Page. Kenny recognized early what a threat Hangman could be, and went out of his way to undermine him, to play on Hangman's own deep sense of inadequacy and lack of self-belief. But eventually the chickens have to come home to roost, and at Full Gear it could be denied no longer, and Kenny was laid out by a Buckshot Lariat that he almost seemed relieved to be destroyed by, all the pressure finally gone as responsibility was wrested from his hands. With the AAA Title relinquished as well due to finally accepting he needed rest from longtime injuries, the belt collector is finally without belts.... and because he hasn't watched the match back, he has no idea that the Young Bucks chose not to interfere... but also is fully aware that one Adam Cole is happy to take his spot while he's gone. After all, he's got this, Cleaner!

:unsmith: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) - At last! The wrestler that FIGHT ISLAND named their favorite wrestler of 2020 finally reached the end of (this part of) the story: acknowledging his own ability, his own talent, and that he's not an "unworthy" person, Page stopped listening to his own inner doubts, recognized the toxic elements of his former friends AND his own internal problems, and fully embraced the Dark Order as friends. Telling the Bucks in no uncertain terms that their various grievances had been balanced out and not to upset that, this came to a head in the match itself when the Bucks could have interfered like they had so often but decided instead to just let the better man win. Adam Page was that better man, and in perhaps the best "subtle" moment of the entire storyline, when offered a beer in celebration of his win the heavy drinking Cowboy tossed it aside in favor of embracing his friends. He won on his own merits, he embraced his friends, and since defeating Kenny he's made no bones about being willing to throw down at a moment's notice with Bryan Danielson despite Bryan's own self-serving insistence that Hangman is somehow ducking him. Because Hangman Adam Page is a self-confident, strong and successful Champion.... and that's Cowboy poo poo.

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (FORMER ICEx∞ Champion) - Tsukka led Ice Ribbon as its champion through a very difficult 2021 in a reign that way more people should have paid attention to as she brought her all in classic match after classic match. All good things must come to an end as Tsukka dropped the title in front of her mentor, Manami Toyota, to the woman she has mentored more than any other, Tsukushi Haruka in yet another classic match to top off one of the best title reigns of 2021. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:chef: Tsukushi Haruka (ICEx∞ Champion) - For the first time since she was 15 years old (8 years ago!), and for the first time since her arrest saw her dropped to the bottom of Ice Ribbon cards, Tsukushi has returned to the top of Ice Ribbon, defeating her mentor Tsukasa Fujimoto in the main event at Ota Gymnasium. Tsukka didn't make it easy for Tsukushi, who had to kick out of the legendary Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex to pick up the win. Tsukushi's month didn't end there, with her first defence coming at the end of the month against Fujimoto's newest protege, Suzu Suzuki with Tsukiushi's experience leading her to victory there, setting up a Ribbonmania main event with fellow former child star, Ram Kaichow of 666. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - YAMATO's 5th reign continued with two extra defenses in November. Defeated former champions BxB Hulk and Ben-K, he kept his grip tight on the Open the Dream Gate Title for his third defense. Apart from Shun Skywalker's 5 defenses and YAMATO's own 6 in an earlier reign, it's more usual for the Open the Dream Gate Champion to last more than 3 or 4 defenses, so what comes next could mean the difference between a great reign and just being the answer to a trivia question.

:amen: None of the Above - If you look at these available champions and all you can do is offer a despairing prayer to God, then maybe None of the Above is for you. Or maybe you just want to see the results, or are paranoid that some ISP somewhere is keeping an exactly tally of how you voted in a meaningless Internet poll on a niche interest? Whatever the case, this is a valid option for you to vote for, so vote!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Becky got half the WWE roster fired and is therefore the strongest champion of them all

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
COWBOY poo poo

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
"Hmm, I wonder why the Ice Ribbon champ is represented with that symbol...."

Well that was an unexpected read.

Cowboy poo poo wins, as much as many have had a great month.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tami

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Thanks again for linking to the new thread!

And I voted for Hangman, as is right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Poor Nakajima.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Poor Nakajima.

He'll get another chance when he beats Go and Shingo in two straight weeks in January

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voted Katsu, hoping he gets a strong second

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Nakajima 100% deserves the win this month, but I get that everyone is excited for Hangman's coronation.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Nakajima earned this

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Imagine being one of the 14 people who didn't vote for Hangman. IMAGINE IT.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

+1 for Match of the Year participant Katsuhiko Nakajima

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hear the battle cry

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Big Yee Haw

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sanguinia posted:

Imagine being one of the 59 people that didn't see Nakajima vs Kenoh

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's pretty cool.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SG Bamboo posted:

Imagine being one of the 59 people that didn't see Nakajima vs Kenoh

Lily Catts posted:

WMOTYC: Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) vs Kenoh (c) for the GHC Heavyweight and GHC National Championships, NOAH the Best, 2021/11/29
I wanted to like this match, believe me, but these champion vs champion winner-takes-all matches are a hard sell because you know very much what the result will be. And I wish it was 60 minutes of good ring action, but it wasn't. None of the limbwork mattered (Kenoh gets his leg worked on, then decides to do multiple PFSs that, y'know, make him put half of his bodyweight on his bad leg), and they just kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked and suuuuuuuure those were all great kicks but this is the wrestling equivalent of eating at the Heart Attack Grill for me. This isn't the Kobashi/Sasaki Chop War from NOAH Destiny, nor the Ibushi/Taichi Kick Fight from last year's G1 Climax. Those two matches knew when to end. I love these guys but I can't love this overindulgent main event at all.

No more. Please.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Love my grinning kickboy, but this is the month for ol' Hanger to take his glory.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

How silly of me, of course that one bad review is giving AEW the lead in this poll

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanguinia posted:

It's easy when you watch the violent kickboy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SG Bamboo posted:

How silly of me, of course that one bad review is giving AEW the lead in this poll

i voted Nakajima

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lid posted:

i voted Nakajima

As well you should have, even if the match was pretty much a foregone conclusion it was absolutely insane and ruled super hard. Intellectually I understand where Lily Catts is coming from with their dislike, but on the other hand they kicked each other as hard as they could for an hour and it was the greatest thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One day in, 80 votes cast, and Hangman Adam Page holds a monstrous lead, but it ain't over till its over, that's Cowboy poo poo! So vote, which is... uhh... which is also Cowboy poo poo.

....Cowboy poo poo is a good thing, by the way....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now two days have passed, and those who have voted have all reported improved luck, gotten payrises at work, and that one person they really like smiled at them. :blush:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

Now two days have passed, and those who have voted have all reported improved luck, gotten payrises at work, and that one person they really like smiled at them. :blush:

You smiled at me? Awww...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

You smiled at me? Awww...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's one day left to vote, so don't put off tomorrow what you can do today if you haven't already done so yesterday or the day before, and vote!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I admire that you put out the same calls to vote whether it's a very close call or a complete landslide.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm voting for Tsukushi Haruka.

Because years ago, I accidentally saw her on an Ice Ribbon show in Yokohama. (I say accidentally because I am an idiot and got dates wrong, so I was expecting to see an AJPW show, but when I turned up to the building it was an Ice Ribbon show.)

I had a wonderful time on that holiday, and watching her wrestle. So I hope she wins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrigadierWholesome :shobon:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm voting for Tsukushi Haruka.

Because years ago, I accidentally saw her on an Ice Ribbon show in Yokohama. (I say accidentally because I am an idiot and got dates wrong, so I was expecting to see an AJPW show, but when I turned up to the building it was an Ice Ribbon show.)

I had a wonderful time on that holiday, and watching her wrestle. So I hope she wins.

You have a correct username

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The poll was set for 4 days so you've got roughly an hour and a half left to get in your vote, or else you and SOLELY you will be responsible for your particular champion not winning.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I admire that you put out the same calls to vote whether it's a very close call or a complete landslide.

There are a vast swathe of undecided voters who are just waiting for <person who hasn't voted yet> to put in their vote, and when they see it happen they are GUARANTEED to vote for the same wrestler and give them the win. So if <person who hasn't voted yet> never does, then they and solely they are responsible for their champion not winning! It's just the way things work!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 5, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To the surprise of nobody, November's poll was a landslide. Despite NOAH's Katsuhiko Nakajima managing second place after an incredible hour-long draw against Kenoh, he wasn't even close to the total votes of the eventual winner. With 67% of all votes cast, Hangman Adam Page's feelgood triumph over former friend and tag team partner Kenny Omega marked the culmination of Hangman's two+ year storyline from his failed shot at the title on AEW's first ever title match to defeating his greatest rival and being paraded around on the shoulders of friends who loved and respected him no matter what. It was an enormously cathartic moment, long-term storytelling at a high level aided by the clear growth and confidence of Hangman from a talented wrestler out of his depth to a guy who didn't "deserve" his Championship, he EARNED it. Thus, November of 2021 was Hangman's month. It couldn't be anybody else.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The poll for December has gone up, you only have 3 days to vote!