Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX22D65TqAs

Alternate title: What if Lost was good? So far just three episodes have aired and they have been super intriguing and set up a lot of questions that will surely all be answered in good time.

Yellowjackets is a show about a high school girls' soccer team who are so good they're going to the nationals. By plane. Stuff happens, and it goes all Lord of the Flies on acid - apparently? So far we've only seen glimpses of it, but Stuff Happens. Meanwhile 25 years later they're living their lives in relative normality, until Mountain Ghosts Start to Haunt Them, metaphorically/literally.

It stars such luminaries as Melanie Lynskey, Cristina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Tawny Cypress - and is set across two eras, modern day and the 90s, when the crash happened. The casts of both eras are insanely good, and no matter what happens in this show we'll always have that.

Very, very promising start either way - will it turn out well? Will we get the answers we're looking for? What's the deal with the weird insignia? Will Laura Lee find God? Can they keep up the level of quality promised by the first few eps? Let's find out together.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
IDK why but i keep getting the feeling the whole cannibalism thing is a red herring.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Matt Zerella posted:

IDK why but i keep getting the feeling the whole cannibalism thing is a red herring.

Like that didn't happen and was a dream or like that what they were eating was a really avant-garde birthday cake?

(PS thank you for making a thread, Hakkesshu.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like that didn't happen and was a dream or like that what they were eating was a really avant-garde birthday cake?

(PS thank you for making a thread, Hakkesshu.)

I mean, she’s killed 2 rabbits like its nothing, theres a wolf flashback. IDK, maybe they get really good at hunting?

It’s just a hunch, I am completely ok with being wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope they don't do that kind of blatant misdirection, but they were also deliberately obscuring everyone's faces (but one), so it's definitely possible there's more to it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they don't do that kind of blatant misdirection, but they were also deliberately obscuring everyone's faces (but one), so it's definitely possible there's more to it.

They are kind of already doing it with the necklace

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think next episode might be the turning point for answering that question yeah?

I'm worried about this show though. I hope the creators at least have a high level plan of "what happened" on the island so that 18 months they spent on the island isn't somehow stretched out to 5 seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm worried about this show though. I hope the creators at least have a high level plan of "what happened" on the island so that 18 months they spent on the island isn't somehow stretched out to 5 seasons.

Wait wait wait, when did they establish they were on an island? Or is this a LOST joke?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What did Jackie do to Vanessa in the first episode to make her pissed at her? I assume there was some sort of dodgy selfish act during the plane crash?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait wait wait, when did they establish they were on an island? Or is this a LOST joke?

It was actually neither. It was just Lost PTSD/habit to be honest.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Matt Zerella posted:

I mean, she’s killed 2 rabbits like its nothing, theres a wolf flashback. IDK, maybe they get really good at hunting?

It’s just a hunch, I am completely ok with being wrong.

O word, I wasn't making fun of you or nothing. You said it was just a tummy-feel guess and that's about as good as anything I've got is. I was making the "birthday cake" comment as a joke because it would be super lovely of the writers if they did actually set it up like that and it turned out to just be some random other meat. I like twists as much as the next guy, but straight up just lying to audience sucks and is dumb.

Pulling stuff now that we have a thread :

a new study bible! posted:

I'm assuming the glint they notice from the lake was from a set of binoculars or something. Unless the glint was a reflection from a window or something, but from my experience a reflection of sunlight in the distance= a scope. Also, upon a quick rewatch, it appears to be moving and swelling a bit, so it seems unlikely to me that it was from a fixed object. Maybe I'm missing something?

Also yes, I was referring to the ginger girl. Back in the first episode I thought she had an Irish accent and my wife thought I was insane. It seems unlikely that she is actually Irish lol

Lol, I'm with your wife, that girl is Jersey as gently caress. She couldn't do her state prouder if she was actively covered in petro-chemicals. I bet she has like 47 dirt bikes and drives them all like an rear end in a top hat.

As to the glint going by reality, so who knows cause it's a show, but shining like that is just what reflective surfaces do from far away. The reason why a rifle scope or binoculars does that is cause it's a small object reflecting a long way off, so small movements (like your hand moving slightly) happen. But this also can happen with just wind or something and it could totally be a window or whatever. I get what you mean with the over-used cliche of a glinting scope though and I might be reacting so hard against it cause I hate that over-used trash.

Looten Plunder posted:

I agree the Lynskey affair plot is weak, but it's Melanie Lynskey so I don't care. She's awesome.

I think I need to do a rewatch though, I mustn't have been paying much attention. I have no idea why Ricci and Lewis have been doing what they're doing beyond "we were sent a postcard".

Also, just to confirm, is Lynskey's husband in the current timeline the same guy she cheated with in the first episode as kids?
The reporter/author asking questions is a different character to Taissa's wife yeah?

1)They were going after Travis, the older son of the coach back in 96 a.k.a. the latest in dangling barn ornaments

2) We are left to assume that, cause otherwise she's got a real thing going for Jeffs.

3) Yes, they are different people. Highly different people.

Is anyone else constantly keeping track of that necklace in the back of their minds?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

What did Jackie do to Vanessa in the first episode to make her pissed at her? I assume there was some sort of dodgy selfish act during the plane crash?

Well in the opening of the second episode, Jackie left her to burn to death in a plane crash.

I can see how that'd get someone's dander up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

It was the second episode, Van was stuck in the flight seat, Shauna was trying to get her out before the fire reached her, and Jackie pulled her away. Van managed to get out on her own.

E:f;b

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hakkesshu posted:

I’m absolutely expecting some eye rolls and a few surprise reveals. Maybe I’m colored by my recent programming, but I view this so far as a better made I Know What You Did Last Summer, so I will definitely be tolerant of some goofiness.

I will, however, be pissed if the teenage story isn’t mostly resolved by the end of this season. If they leave everything hanging there, I have a hard time imagining that I will be able to maintain my enthusiasm for the show over a hiatus.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well in the opening of the second episode, Jackie left her to burn to death in a plane crash.

I can see how that'd get someone's dander up.

“You wanna save the corn nuts?”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

I will, however, be pissed if the teenage story isn’t mostly resolved by the end of this season. If they leave everything hanging there, I have a hard time imagining that I will be able to maintain my enthusiasm for the show over a hiatus.

The flashbacks won't be resolved this season. 100%.

If we're unlucky, the show will find ways to feature the teen actors until the very end of the show, instead of moving on from that plot at a good pace.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is anyone else constantly keeping track of that necklace in the back of their minds?

Constantly

I like Van. I don't think she's going to make it out of the woods but I hope we get more background on her. Though her scene during the "Never Tear Us Apart" sequence managed to tell us a lot about her life in just a few seconds.

One little moment that stands out to me from episode 2 is when they're looking for something to disinfect Coach's leg. Van pulls a bottle of Sea Breeze astringent from Jackie's suitcase and offers it up, Jackie immediately goes "Hey that's m-- uh...great idea, Van" and Van just gives her the best look of utter disbelief and contempt.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The flashbacks won't be resolved this season. 100%.

If we're unlucky, the show will find ways to feature the teen actors until the very end of the show, instead of moving on from that plot at a good pace.

I suspect that you are right, but I'm hoping they practice best storytelling techniques and don't ruin the intrigue they have.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

coronatae posted:

I like Van. I don't think she's going to make it out of the woods but I hope we get more background on her.

I was a big fan of the actor from Santa Clarita Diet so I hope she's a big part of it too (turns out she's Australian too which I didn't know!)
Speaking of casting, I only realised last episode that Young Misty is the crazy chick from Shameless that married Carl's character.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah Van rules, I’m going to be bummed if she doesn’t make it out.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Terrible theories I have seen:

-Taissa has a split personality, which is why her son Sammy tells her "You're not the bad one"

-Taissa's wife is a hallucination

-Adam is a hallucination

-Adam is an adult post-transition Jackie

-Shauna gives birth to Jeff's baby while they are stranded, and the baby somehow gets left behind and grows up in the Ontario wilderness. The postcards are being sent by the now-25 baby on a quest for vengeance!!!

-spotted by Open Source Idiom: "the cast cannibalised their as-yet-nonexistant babies for protein, which is the kind of theory only someone who's never spent time with a pregnant person could come up with"

-the postcards are being sent by Allie (who had her leg broken in the first episode and never made it on the plane)

-the girl in the pit is Shauna's daughter, because Shauna will bring her back to the woods and sacrifice her. And she has Jackie's necklace...somehow

-there is no cannibalism and it's all one big fake-out (proposed by someone who later clarified they believed this because the show didn't explicitly depict the process of butchering a human corpse)

Tell me your theories, good or bad! I love to speculate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

-Taissa's wife is a hallucination

I kind of appreciate how stupid this one is as just a theory for the sake of having a theory. Taissa's wife has done nothing worth positing this, so you might as well just say any random poo poo is a hallucination while you're at it. Like, the plane being a figment of their imagination makes the same amount of sense. It wouldn't be a plot twist, it'd just be... some kind of bent thing no one cared about.

(I look forward to saying equally dumb poo poo within the next week and getting roundly mocked.)

So since I'm not the only one paying attention to the necklace, maybe it'll seem less weird that I'm doing it with just about every object that's a carry-over between the timelines. Like did anyone else notice that the hunting knife from the first episode is on the table in the cabin? Or the symbol on the tree had less negative space than the one on the postcard. A major part of the plot is that it's basically survival horror, so drat loving skippy I'm gonna be tracking every thing I can short of actually writing up a spreadsheet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do think there might be something up with the coach's family, if we're theory crafting. I'm thinking maybe an affair. It'd explain why his elder son is so very angry with him (in a this is a plot point sense, rather than purely as a reaction to trauma).

I'll laugh if it's with the assistant coach.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

I was a big fan of the actor from Santa Clarita Diet so I hope she's a big part of it too (turns out she's Australian too which I didn't know!)
Speaking of casting, I only realised last episode that Young Misty is the crazy chick from Shameless that married Carl's character.

Jackie is Jinx in Arcane, which, I didn’t realize they probably modeled her face at least a little to suit that character and now I cannot unsee it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hakkesshu posted:

Jackie is Jinx in Arcane, which, I didn’t realize they probably modeled her face at least a little to suit that character and now I cannot unsee it.

At least the nose looks really similar.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Liv Hewson is non-binary btw. But yes they are excellent

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I do think there might be something up with the coach's family, if we're theory crafting. I'm thinking maybe an affair. It'd explain why his elder son is so very angry with him (in a this is a plot point sense, rather than purely as a reaction to trauma).

I'll laugh if it's with the assistant coach.

I can't decide if it's with the assistant coach or with one of the girls' parents (horribly, with one of the girls themselves?) but it's gotta be something. His wife is very reluctant to let him kiss her on the cheek when they depart for the plane. Nat keeps giving Travis these looks that suggest to me she knows whatever's going on.

So who do we think the girl in the pit is? The theory I found and posted was derived from extensive study of the brief shots we get of her facial features, compared against pictures of all the actresses. But I think it's a really dumb convoluted choice. I think it's Mari .

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm pretty sure Lottie becomes the ringleader wearing the antlers.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

coronatae posted:

I can't decide if it's with the assistant coach or with one of the girls' parents (horribly, with one of the girls themselves?) but it's gotta be something. His wife is very reluctant to let him kiss her on the cheek when they depart for the plane. Nat keeps giving Travis these looks that suggest to me she knows whatever's going on.

So who do we think the girl in the pit is? The theory I found and posted was derived from extensive study of the brief shots we get of her facial features, compared against pictures of all the actresses. But I think it's a really dumb convoluted choice. I think it's Mari .

nats looking at travis because 'drat hes actually cute i want that in me'

:hmmyes: vvv

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 4, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

nats looking at travis because 'drat hes actually cute i want that in me'

O poo poo the cannibalism is already starting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Looking forward to more tonight!

Until further notice I’m making up dumb joke names to refer to the timelines, feel free to join me or not.

The 1996 era is One Hot Minute cause that album has Aeroplane and ‘94 is close enough I was 6 deal with it.

The Lady of the Flies cannibal fun-times are Mesquite Misty’s House of BBQ.

The modern stuff is the one I’m least sure of cause it’s just now but it’s currently just Burp Sound Effect.

I’m open to suggestions to refine my stupid joke names.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yellowjackets - Mesquite Misty’s House of BBQ

I've been puzzling over the Antler Queen's veil for a while, since my first impression was that it's like a chainmail type material and I couldn't piece together where they'd find it. I'm still not sure, but it looks really cool.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I got chainmail as a first thought, but that seems unlikely unless Laura Lee brought her armor of god lol. My next guess was some kind of aircraft netting, but all I know about that is “airplanes have some kind of metal netting, I think, maybe?” So please take your complimentary bag of rock salt with my conjecture.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My other guess was like, the mesh from the bag of soccer balls Coach Martinez brought but I checked and it was a black mesh much finer than what she has on. Would have been cool symbolic value tho

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

19 months is enough time to learn how to smith in the woods imo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
wasn't misty just wearing an animal skin with eyeholes cut in it?

e: nevermind I see who you mean

It just looks like netting, like fishing or something they find in the cabin

e2: Better pic

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 5, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Sweater-mask girl is obviously Shauna, though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I swear to god if Adam turns out to have been Javi the whole time or some bullshit, I’m gonna figure out how to physically throw a streaming service so I can yeet it through the writer’s window.

In other news, today I learned that I too would probably have an affair with Melanie Lynskey if she was into it, gently caress yeah we can talk about Over the Garden Wall, 2) I’m officially old cause the idea of having sex in a car just gives me sympathetic joint pain.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ok, rich girl is the one who's getting all paranoid without her meds and found the body right?

I kinda wonder how that's going to play into the maybe-supernatural stuff, especially with taissa's apparently congenital... psychic sensitivity? mental issues?

also holy poo poo i love misty so much

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

"So...for the record, we're like, even now, right?" Ahahahaha you fuckin' suck, Jackie. Van was totally about to get up and slap her poo poo before the hunting party returned.

Really enjoyed Taissa in this episode. I'm glad she didn't give in and reveal things even though it would have done a lot to secure her campaign. Whoever played that rich lady absolutely nailed the entitled attitude.