Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

for whatever reason, the entire time that i played final fantasy 5 this time around, i heard all of Bartz's lines in the voice of philip j. fry.

it reminded me that back before games could be voice acted, it could be fun to "cast" the characters. i remember distinctly thinking back in the second grade that this secret of mana NPC was sean connery:

golbez from final fantasy 4 was obviously james earl jones.

what voices do you hear when you play old video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't hear voices OP. Talk to a registered psychologist using one of our forum's fifteen billion stickied threads.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Not the same thing, but sometimes when I'm hungry I say "Green Wizard needs food badly"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

Not the same thing, but sometimes when I'm hungry I say "Green Wizard needs food badly"

lmao im glad its not just me with this mental curse

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

once i was talking about the different voices i use mentally for characters in a book with my ex and she basically implied that i was crazy. she read book entirely in her own internal monologue which is the most psychopathic poo poo i have ever heard of in my entire life. anyway op, i do not use famous actors, but rather my own internal cast of jobbing VO artists whose voices suit the role and not relying on star power to draw in the box office crowds

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_MBc0DAas

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

once i was talking about the different voices i use mentally for characters in a book with my ex and she basically implied that i was crazy. she read book entirely in her own internal monologue which is the most psychopathic poo poo i have ever heard of in my entire life. anyway op, i do not use famous actors, but rather my own internal cast of jobbing VO artists whose voices suit the role and not relying on star power to draw in the box office crowds

I read the entire thing in my internal monologue, unless I've ever heard the author speak, in which case I hear it in their voice.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Arrhythmia posted:

I read the entire thing in my internal monologue, unless I've ever heard the author speak, in which case I hear it in their voice.

yup

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
or if it has a show i've seen, i read it in the tv show characters voices.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

you read a dickens novel and give the characters your voice? this is insane

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I like when games have beeps instead of voices, especially when they vary the tone of the beeps based on the character. When I read games without either voices or beeps I just put beeps there.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think about a voice when I read. Mostly I hate reading, especially in video games, so I avoid it. It's just whatever the voice of my normal thinking is like. So I just thought Link muttered under his breath and grunted when you choose a response for him, and Zelda just was like my thoughtvoice but more like a princess, since even though I hate reading and don't perform theatre in my head when I read I Do have some empathy, bros.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In regards to books, if I read a person's speaking described I will sometimes try talking as described out loud if it's especially funny or clever or whatever, like "he spoke like a man punching keys on a typewriter". I can't think of that happening outside a text based game otherwise though.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

In regards to books, if I read a person's speaking described I will sometimes try talking as described out loud if it's especially funny or clever or whatever, like "he spoke like a man punching keys on a typewriter". I can't think of that happening outside a text based game otherwise though.

i mean. if you didnt do that we wouldnt have vocaroos or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CckHams5ON4

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That doesn't count because I was inspired, similar to if someone made the title of a thread "It's been". What are you gonna do, NOT think about Barenaked Ladies?? It's not the same thing...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I always imagined Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch Out having the voice of Mike Tyson

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Martman posted:

I always imagined Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch Out having the voice of Mike Tyson

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

this is insane. what if the character is obviously supposed to sound like a pirate, like in Moby dick? what about Gau from final fantasy 6?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

you read a dickens novel and give the characters your voice? this is insane

exactly. you're going to read mr pecksniff's dialogue in your own voice? Absurd

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

this is insane. what if the character is obviously supposed to sound like a pirate, like in Moby dick? what about Gau from final fantasy 6?

I use my internal monologue but I’m doing different voices and impressions in my voice. Like instead of hearing jack Nicholson as Kefka I hear my impression of jack Nicholson.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

I use my internal monologue but I’m doing different voices and impressions in my voice. Like instead of hearing jack Nicholson as Kefka I hear my impression of jack Nicholson.

youre going to prison

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
It’s 100% legal actually. Jacks voice is public domain

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i don’t have many of these but in my head gau has always sounded like beavis doing the cornholio voice

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It sounds like me, going "argh mateys".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

i don’t have many of these but in my head gau has always sounded like beavis doing the cornholio voice

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HERE LIES
    GAU.
HE NEVER
  RAGED.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

HERE LIES
    GAU.
HE NEVER
  RAGED.

lmfao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

HERE LIES
    GAU.
HE NEVER
  RAGED.

lol

ah, the classic joker casting for kefka.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I am Gauholio. I need Kazekiri for my Stray Catholio

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
The real question is do you say a funny or epic line out loud to really savor it. I’ll answer after reading the room, as is customary.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

The real question is do you say a funny or epic line out loud to really savor it. I’ll answer after reading the room, as is customary.

i have two younger brothers so in the early days we used to read all the lines out loud to make sure that we weren't skipping past dialogue before the youngest could catch up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Martman posted:

ive never actually done this and am currently lolling at the idea

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
idk i cant think of specific voices i give to characters but i do generally "hear" them in a particular voice. if im feeling particularly inspired i'll read them aloud because im a huge dork

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

ive never actually done this and am currently lolling at the idea

It’s kind of twisted actually

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I read every line of text out loud, in between thanking news subs and any donations that happened since the last time I thanked my viewers. I do exaggerated funny voices. My full time editor compiles the more inspired reads into their contractually obligated thrice-weekly video packages for my YouTube channel. Interesting question thanks for asking OP.