Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've only finished the first book in the Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers so no spoilers for future books pls.

The main characters of the book work on a wormhole-drilling rig that drills wormholes through subspace to facilitate interstellar travel.

In the book, the character describes the difference between a "blind punch" and an "anchored punch."

In a blind punch, the drill sets up a "cage" around one planned terminus of the wormhole. The cage keeps the wormhole open and stable. They drill through subspace and erect a cage when they pop out the other side.

They use blind punches to establish a wormhole tunnels to worlds that have no wormhole links.

When they want to make a direct connection between two planets that are already linked by successive jumps, they use an "anchored punch." For an anchored punch, they erect a cage at one planned terminus, then fly the long way through the successive jumps to the other side, erect a cage there, then drill from one to the other.

Okay, so here's my question: why don't they erect the cage on their end, have a third party set up the other cage at the target site, then drill directly from one to the other???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Good question op, counter question: wtf

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's a jobs program

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i call my anus a wormhole.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My answer is : I just ate my own poo poo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
why did they not simply have Gandalf call the eagles to drop the cage directly on the other end of the wormhole

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

the holy poopacy posted:

why did they not simply have Gandalf call the eagles to drop the cage directly on the other end of the wormhole

The eagles are homophobes and want to touch males as little as possible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

the holy poopacy posted:

People asking this about LotR always baffled me. You've already seen that there are flying monsters in Mordor. Gee, ya think maybe it's that the eagles can't or won't go flapping around in a monster-filled nightmare realm under the watch of a giant flaming eye?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you can take down a Star Destroyer by light speeding through it then why don't they just make a bunch of torpedoes with light speed drives? They can't be that expensive seeing as how all the X wings and Tie Fighters have them

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they coulda dropped them off like a mile from the moutain

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Devils Affricate posted:

If you can take down a Star Destroyer by light speeding through it then why don't they just make a bunch of torpedoes with light speed drives? They can't be that expensive seeing as how all the X wings and Tie Fighters have them

Because the writing is bad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Robo Reagan posted:

they coulda dropped them off like a mile from the moutain

The mountain smells like poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for quantum entanglement reasons, op

this is also the reason that there is basically no conflict whatsoever in this book, and the clerk character gets to gently caress the lizard to her heart's content

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tell us more about the lizard

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tell us more about the lizard

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Because of the unions, OP. They won't allow it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The lizard in question is a feathered lesbian lizard and tbh the book rules because everyone’s loving aliens left and right

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
do your own homework op

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bad Purchase posted:

it's a jobs program

I've read the book and this is probably the best answer. A civilization with that kind of technology wouldn't need fleshy beasts to fly around in spaceships doing stuff like this. It's just too keep them busy and make them feel like they have a purpose. Then they can ride all around having sitcomy dramas, exploring their feelings and having interspecies sex while simultaneously feeling like they are important contributors to society

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Is this series good? Kindle keeps advertising it to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's pretty gentle and fluffy. it was a nice read but, like, don't go in expecting anything more challenging than "someone has temporarily hurt feelings". i enjoyed it but it's a matter of being in the right mood.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Sci fi is dumb, where are the dragons and Wizards?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Is this series good? Kindle keeps advertising it to me.

Cozy sci-fi about a queer found family with alien and robot sex, p good imo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine if firefly wasn’t libertarian as gently caress and was written by a woman instead of a woman abuser

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's pretty gentle and fluffy. it was a nice read but, like, don't go in expecting anything more challenging than "someone has temporarily hurt feelings". i enjoyed it but it's a matter of being in the right mood.

I’ve been reading a lot of heavy stuff lately, a lighter read sounds perfect.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hedrigall posted:

The lizard in question is a feathered lesbian lizard and tbh the book rules because everyone’s loving aliens left and right

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They probably do that all the time and classify it as a kind of anchored punch. Then when they don't do it it's called a blind punch and they didn't think you'd worry about which company built the cage.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The deep secret the us government has been hiding is that NASA stands for:

Nonstop
Alien
Suck
And gently caress fest

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Been a while since I read it but aren't there a lot of opportunities for the various factions to backstab each other, such that they wouldn't trust a third party setup?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A wizard did it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Footed Booby posted:

People asking this about LotR always baffled me. You've already seen that there are flying monsters in Mordor. Gee, ya think maybe it's that the eagles can't or won't go flapping around in a monster-filled nightmare realm under the watch of a giant flaming eye?

There's, like, two wyverns vs a dozen or more giant eagles. Seems pretty easy to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Devils Affricate posted:

Tie Fighters do not have hyperdrives. You fool. You absolute buffoon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Devils Affricate posted:

explicitly in the movie the hyperspeed ramming wasn't an actually very effective attack. It cost an entire giant flag ship and did so little damage that every single main character on the ship survived and walked around in the ship for like 20 minutes.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The star wars defender is here

Also, op, the gently caress are you talking about?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
a kind soul bought me a three-volume set of The Expanse but i dunno, these books are loving gigantic and look like a several months' reading. so, an investment. worth delving into or should i move on to greener fields? (ps, i have no clue how much potential alien sexual encounters there may be)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Poohs Packin posted:

The star wars defender is here

Also, op, the gently caress are you talking about?

I will defend the last jedi just you watch me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie unless you buy the theory that Rian Johnson intentionally "spiked the ball" so to speak. The idea being that he purposely obliterated every plot thread the began in Ep 7 in a deliberate attempt to force the trilogy to do something loving new with Star Wars, because the only way for Ep 9 to continue as planned after that would be as a completely tortured mess. If that is true then it's probably one of the best films ever made.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Meme Poker Party posted:

The Last Jedi is a terrible movie unless you buy the theory that Rian Johnson intentionally "spiked the ball" so to speak. The idea being that he purposely obliterated every plot thread the began in Ep 7 in a deliberate attempt to force the trilogy to do something loving new with Star Wars, because the only way for Ep 9 to continue as planned after that would be as a completely tortured mess. If that is true then it's probably one of the best films ever made.

Disagree

It was good because it purposely obliterated every plot thread from TFA to force the series to do something new with Star Wars but it turns out that the fans didn't want anything new they just wanted the same crap served up over and over again, and because JJ Abrams has no spine at all he tried to please everyone with TROS and failed miserably.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 2, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Freedom Trails posted:

a kind soul bought me a three-volume set of The Expanse but i dunno, these books are loving gigantic and look like a several months' reading. so, an investment. worth delving into or should i move on to greener fields? (ps, i have no clue how much potential alien sexual encounters there may be)

I regret to inform you but nobody fucks or sucks an alien in the expanse series, I found this out the hard way, what a loving waste of 9 books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bargearse posted:

Disagree

It was good because it purposely obliterated every plot thread from TFA to force the series to do something new with Star Wars but it turns out that the fans didn't want anything new they just wanted the same crap served up over and over again, and because JJ Abrams has no spine at all he tried to please everyone with TROS and failed miserably.

This is the same poo poo as what I just said! So why "disagree"????