Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
We've talked about it a couple times in the thread but if you have a flashlight warrior ready to blind you as you do a pickup, looking down and moving slightly is often enough to trick them out of hiding, and they're usually close enough that you can get a twofer on em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
One of you was asking if anyone kept data of their matches and I finally went through my old Killer Scores.txt.

A Year Of Murder from game purchase to Rank 1 Killer. This is all before the current MMing system, boon totems and the key nerf. I edited it to clear out the worst of my post-match moping, though that only really came up rarely and before my break in March where my first hard push to rank 1 made the game truly unfun. I'd come back to get it as Trapper of all killers so there is a happy ending eventually.

The data was entertaining to keep and helpful for keeping a level head over time and recognizing what I was doing right, when I was in a rut and forcing play due to habit and having a bad time, and realizing some killers weren't clicking with me. I was amused by some trends like my strings of 0 kill Blight games before I finally figured him out and he became one of my favorites. Sadly I still don't quite gel with Oni even if I think he's the coolest dude. I love that my first several Nemesis games are absolute stomps.

I'd also try to be objective about my performance and note survivor ranks if there was a big gap and surprise, I was fighting reds from my first yellow ranks. I didn't appreciate consistently fighting reds while a new triple digit hours killer and bouncing back and forth between greens and purples either. I'm pretty sure my last push to R1 was only possible because of a truly blessed spread of mid ranks I queued into for the last pips between R2 and R1. There's also blocks where playing on the weekend would turn out to be a grave mistake.

Probably the worst trend I noticed was BHVRs terrible scoring system and my constant irritation at getting Displeased for 1-2 kills or Brutal for 3-4.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 1, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doomykins posted:

One of you was asking if anyone kept data of their matches and I finally went through my old Killer Scores.txt.

A Year Of Murder from game purchase to Rank 1 Killer. This is all before the current MMing system, boon totems and the key nerf. I edited it to clear out the worst of my post-match moping, though that only really came up rarely and before my break in March where my first hard push to rank 1 made the game truly unfun. I'd come back to get it as Trapper of all killers so there is a happy ending eventually.

The data was entertaining to keep and helpful for keeping a level head over time and recognizing what I was doing right, when I was in a rut and forcing play due to habit and having a bad time, and realizing some killers weren't clicking with me. I was amused by some trends like my strings of 0 kill Blight games before I finally figured him out and he became one of my favorites. Sadly I still don't quite gel with Oni even if I think he's the coolest dude. I love that my first several Nemesis games are absolute stomps.

I'd also try to be objective about my performance and note survivor ranks if there was a big gap and surprise, I was fighting reds from my first yellow ranks. I didn't appreciate consistently fighting reds while a new triple digit hours killer and bouncing back and forth between greens and purples either. I'm pretty sure my last push to R1 was only possible because of a truly blessed spread of mid ranks I queued into for the last pips between R2 and R1. There's also blocks where playing on the weekend would turn out to be a grave mistake.

Probably the worst trend I noticed was BHVRs terrible scoring system and my constant irritation at getting Displeased for 1-2 kills or Brutal for 3-4.

Heh that was me. I'm not tracking at nearly that level, I just whipped up an Excel spreadsheet to start tracking a few weeks ago. Nice to have an overview. Also tracking stages, but that's it.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Meeko posted:

Oh that might be very handy, thanks! I didn't even realize you could see what tools the survivors have in the lobby.

You can but that may change mid match if they find a chest as well, so be prepared by looking in their hands during matches too.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Just facing a wall or a building as you pickup helps, and just twat anyone who dances around you when you are carrying someone

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1466089822422978562?s=20

Login rewards all month!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Someone not me should run stats on how many survivors are salty in the postgame chat vs salty killers, since I swear I have never once seen a salty killer in the postgame in all my time playing this. It is 100% salty survivors

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Someone not me should run stats on how many survivors are salty in the postgame chat vs salty killers, since I swear I have never once seen a salty killer in the postgame in all my time playing this. It is 100% salty survivors

this seems inevitable. there are more survivors. on top of this, most people are more likely to see people yelling at themselves as salty than people yelling at someone else, so they're either looking at a potential four survivors, or a potential three survivors and a killer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Sometimes Ghostface is funny. Had a game that wasn't exactly going well, I finally hook a Jill, manage to one shot a Claudette near basement too. Hook her, starting to leave, on a hunch I decide "Let's stealth and crouch right here on the stairwell." Right on cue, Jill falls on my head and gets downed again

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I had a rare Christmas Truce moment earlier today. Playing Pig, I made a Bloody Streamers offering (everyone gets 100% BP bonus) but was otherwise playing normally (aka trying to win).

The game proceeded in a normal fashion for the first 10 minutes or so, but eventually I found a survivor who dropped his item when he saw me. I whacked him out of instinct but remembered that he was probably making a friendly gesture, so I abruptly stopped chasing him. He must have been in a SWF with two other survivors because when I found him again, he did the "come here" gesture at me and his buddies were standing next to him. I figured they wanted a truce, so I whacked him again and let them heal, then did the same to the two others.

I hit a nearby hook to signal that I needed hook states (I still had 0 at that point) and the trio allowed me to hook each of them twice. Meanwhile the solo survivor popped the last two gens, flashlight stunned me after a pallet drop and otherwise appeared to be a typical annoying survivor. I managed to hook them but allowed my buddies to save her and she left.

I then led my survivor pets to the exit, downed all 3 and crouch-walked them through the exit gate. I managed to avoid a depip, too, so everyone won :)

Of course, I had someone teabag me at the hatch the very next trial so it wasn't all rosy, but it was fun forming an ad hoc truce despite lacking even a simple emote gesture as a Killer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Flashlights really are my weakness in this game. I had a match with the typical "My only objective this match is to blind the killer as often as possible" flashlight warrior. I'd get to a loop, they'd drop a pallet, if I broke it I got blinded, if I didn't it was an infinite chase round and round the loop. I got frustrated so while I SHOULD have just walked away I kept trying to get her so I could hook camp her to death, which of course led to four escapes and all four tea bagging at the exit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Chasing at loops in general feels like a lost cause as killer. Sure you might get a hit in on a slick mindgame, but gens fly so fast that the time lost almost never feels like it equals out. Better to kick the pallet and move on

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 2, 2021

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Was just playing survivor in a match that had Ruin on all five totems. At first I thought it was Undying because another survivor and I cleared them right away, but nope it was on all five :thumbsdown:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I learned today that on the new map there's a hook on the upper floor on the building where the killer can just stand in the doorway and you legit can't get past them to get a rescue

Orv
May 4, 2011
A pink bunny Feng Ming was up there for a minute earlier and I was so tempted to keep her up there cause I am so goddamn tired of the people who use that skin but I let her go.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Medullah posted:

Flashlights really are my weakness in this game. I had a match with the typical "My only objective this match is to blind the killer as often as possible" flashlight warrior. I'd get to a loop, they'd drop a pallet, if I broke it I got blinded, if I didn't it was an infinite chase round and round the loop. I got frustrated so while I SHOULD have just walked away I kept trying to get her so I could hook camp her to death, which of course led to four escapes and all four tea bagging at the exit.

I don't really mind being blinded at a pallet, by the time I've broken the thing the blindness has worn off

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also walk up to a pallet and stare down, the really dumb ones will burn half their flashlight battery trying to blind you

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
As a Killer main I love when survivors bring flashlights. They tend to follow me as I carry one to a hook, fail to blind me and then get chased. Time spent following me around is time not spent doing gens.

Seeing multiple survivors in the lobby with toolboxes gives me PTSD.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Alctel posted:

I don't really mind being blinded at a pallet, by the time I've broken the thing the blindness has worn off

Yeah. The smarter ones wait until you're almost done with the pallet breaking, but almost universally they just do it right away because they're so excited to "get you" with their flashlight. And then they get confused why I chase them immediately after breaking the pallet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lager posted:

Yeah. The smarter ones wait until you're almost done with the pallet breaking, but almost universally they just do it right away because they're so excited to "get you" with their flashlight. And then they get confused why I chase them immediately after breaking the pallet.

Yeah this is what irritates me. Like, I get the "blind the killer" strategic move to get away, but the clicky warriors who just sit there blinding you as you smash the pallet and just sit there teabagging drives me nuts. I'm really bad at looping when I'm playing anyone but Nurse or Pyramid Head, so I get jobbed on reguarly when I'm using someone else for a daily.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Every survivor who brings a flashlight is a survivor who didn't bring a medkit so its a gain for the killer when they do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Every survivor who brings a flashlight is a survivor who didn't bring a medkit so its a gain for the killer when they do.

Eh I rarely see medpacs now, boons are where it's at.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Medullah posted:

Eh I rarely see medpacs now, boons are where it's at.

At higher MMR it's 3 medkits and a flashlight, sometimes a toolbox pretty reliably.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orv posted:

At higher MMR it's 3 medkits and a flashlight, sometimes a toolbox pretty reliably.

Fair enough. I'm definitely not at high MMR (nor do I want to be heh)

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I believe medpacks also stack with the healing boon so you can slam out a heal real real fast

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I believe medpacks also stack with the healing boon so you can slam out a heal real real fast

They do. I was watching Otz the other day and I think at least the green medpac is bugged - he ran out of charges while healing at a boon, but was still able to heal at the medpac speed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Up for free on the Epic Games Store if you have any friends that want to play with you (I don't have friends). Also can link it to your Steam account so you can play of the Epic Game Launcher if you don't like Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Medullah posted:

Fair enough. I'm definitely not at high MMR (nor do I want to be heh)

I was there for a couple days and I do not recommend it. My games are much more fun - for both me and the survivors, I've gotten a ton of really nice end game chats - when I just hook everyone twice and then fool around. Blood points are poo poo but oh well.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Orv posted:

I just hook everyone twice and then fool around. Blood points are poo poo but oh well.

I mean, even doing that you'll probably get around 25K, and sweating as hard as you can is unlikely to get you more than 30K, so you're gaining a lot of sanity for not much BP loss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

I mean, even doing that you'll probably get around 25K, and sweating as hard as you can is unlikely to get you more than 30K, so you're gaining a lot of sanity for not much BP loss.

Oh absolutely. I strongly recommend it for anyone that is having an awful time as killer, no matter your general MMR. It's chill and the absolute, visible confusion of survivors is a treat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

First time playing as Big Bird, she strikes me as really good. You just throw birds at any gen you think people are on and it's like having a low rent Lethal Pursuer at all times. Or a closer analogy might be having a Doctor shock with much, much less of a recharge

I wasn't even trying to use them for damage, I just used them as tracking and no one could ever get away from my giant bird rear end

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 2, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I claimed the Epic Games Store copy and decided to try a baby's "first" match. I know Grade <> MMR but this is hilarious for my very first match on a new account.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
I like the aesthetics of the new map. It reminds me of Deathgarden. Remember Deathgarden?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Disposable Scud posted:

I like the aesthetics of the new map. It reminds me of Deathgarden. Remember Deathgarden?

I watched Marth scare a lot of people away from that game, I don't think I saw him lose a single match as the hunter, so I remember it well lol

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just played against a Nurse with a real mean build. Hex: Ret, Hex: Plaything, Hex: Pentimento.

Plaything really encourages breaking the totems, because being oblivious sucks, which triggers Retribution's aura reading abilities, and allows her to put them back up with Pentimento, which triggers aura reading AGAIN when you cleanse that.

Also, fun fact, you can't bless a Pentimento totem. It makes sense, but caught me by surprise and meant this build poo poo right down my Boon Build throat.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Meeko posted:

As someone new to the game, Bloodlust kind of sucks rear end. It being broken every time I try to smack a pallet or lose LoS is just one of the many things making me feel weak unless I use the Cannibal and his very fun chainsaw.

It helps to know the context of why Bloodlust was added. It wasn't really designed as a buff for killers, it was designed as a nerf to infinite loops. Behavior didn't want to figure out how to fix existing infinites properly or test their maps to avoid adding new ones. Instead, they just made it so the killer gets fast enough in a long enough chase that they will eventually catch a survivor abusing an infinite. That's why you lose Bloodlust when you hit a survivor (fast enough to beat the infinite), break a pallet (assumption the pallet was part of the infinite), stop the chase with that survivor by breaking LoS (no abusing the speed boost to hit someone else), or the survivor breaks the chase by walking long enough (no infinite lets you walk it so the survivor is giving up the chase).

It can be used in certain tiles or on certain pallets to make them unsafe for a survivor to stay when you learn the game more, but a general rule is that you shouldn't rely on it to get hits. Bloodlust 1 is usually an accident as a result of catching up in the first place and is fine. Bloodlust 2 is usually an indicator that you should drop a chase to go pressure gens unless you are just about to get the hit or there is a good reason to tunnel the survivor. You should never be in Bloodlust 3 unless it is the last survivor/EGC or the loop is also letting you patrol the last three gens.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

Just played against a Nurse with a real mean build. Hex: Ret, Hex: Plaything, Hex: Pentimento.

Plaything really encourages breaking the totems, because being oblivious sucks, which triggers Retribution's aura reading abilities, and allows her to put them back up with Pentimento, which triggers aura reading AGAIN when you cleanse that.

Also, fun fact, you can't bless a Pentimento totem. It makes sense, but caught me by surprise and meant this build poo poo right down my Boon Build throat.

Oh hey that's the build I'm working on for my Nurse. At the very least Plaything and Pentimento will be fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If like me you are very stupid and signed up for the Dragonball Ball Breakers tests they sent keys out a bit ago, tests are running today and tomorrow for a couple hour window today and a few windows tomorrow.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is there any talk from the game developers to add more objectives, more modes? More anything? I don't care to research their twitter or webpages to be honest so if you know that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Is there any talk from the game developers to add more objectives, more modes? More anything? I don't care to research their twitter or webpages to be honest so if you know that's cool.

I don't think they ever plan to add more modes to DBD. They can barely keep the regular game from breaking apart with their current content cycle as-is. And the way they design/balance the game they seem really reluctant to mess with the core systems in any capacity.