Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You need to sit down and do the math based on what you have available for a down payment and what a realistic loan interest rate / term is for you and then come up with an out the door purchase price. Shopping on payment is a great way to end up with an 84 month term these days.

This. A 5 year loan at 2.49% puts you at about $17k max financed for your target of $300/mo. That's about the best rate you could hope for with great credit on a new-ish used car in the US if you finance through a credit union. 1.99% might be possible based on where you're at, but it would be exceptional and would only save ~$4/month.

Remember to factor taxes, registration and whatever bullshit dealer fees your state allows into your calculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

KillHour posted:

This. A 5 year loan at 2.49% puts you at about $17k max financed for your target of $300/mo. That's about the best rate you could hope for with great credit on a new-ish used car in the US if you finance through a credit union. 1.99% might be possible based on where you're at, but it would be exceptional and would only save ~$4/month.

Remember to factor taxes, registration and whatever bullshit dealer fees your state allows into your calculation.

Good points on both of these. With what I have to put down and taxes in Texas I think a 18k sticker to get 20k out the door is in my budget while trying to stick to standard 60mo loan. Checking credit union and it is 2.3 on recent used car. If it's older it jumps to 3.8.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KillHour posted:

This is a good post and I appreciate your effort!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's been a really long time (like nine months or something) but I wanted to thank this thread for the help. We are buying a 2018 Tiguan SEL 4motion through Vroom, only one we could find in the color and options we wanted for a decent price (comparitavely, lol) and it should arrive in a week or two. We loved the ones we test drove, and expensively fell in love with the panoramic moonroof. It has the towing capacity we want, the fold flat seats, and the nice driving experience.

Including california tax, license, fees, delivery, etc it came out to just under $30k, which is $10k more than we had intended to spend when we started looking, but hopefull we will get 20 years out of it so whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are moving to "the county" so we'll be needing a second car, but it's reliability is not critical as I am full time work from home and wife probably only goes into the office a couple times a week etc etc. We've lived with one car for six years so having a broken down classic car in the other garage isn't a big deal

Thinking about getting a 1940s or 1950s Citroen Traction Avant

https://bringatrailer.com/citroen/traction-avant/

Seems like a good nexus of moderate price, moderate to "good" reliability, and they made the car for something like 25 years continuously so parts availability is pretty decent, and mostly drivetrain compatible with Citroen saloons in the 60s, and of course, it's uniquely styled while still being a practical family car (once we retrofit shoulder straps)

Does anyone have experience with cars like these? I'm thinking we'd drive it once a week and put 1500 miles a year on it driving in town 10-45mph

Not in a huge rush to buy a second car but started keeping an eye on traction avants entering the market for something that just needs a good wax and probably a tune up

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

We are moving to "the county" so we'll be needing a second car, but it's reliability is not critical as I am full time work from home and wife probably only goes into the office a couple times a week etc etc. We've lived with one car for six years so having a broken down classic car in the other garage isn't a big deal

https://bringatrailer.com/citroen/traction-avant/

Seems like a good nexus of moderate price, moderate to "good" reliability, and they made the car for something like 25 years continuously so parts availability is pretty decent, and mostly drivetrain compatible with Citroen saloons in the 60s, and of course, it's uniquely styled while still being a practical family car (once we retrofit shoulder straps)

Does anyone have experience with cars like these? I'm thinking we'd drive it once a week and put 1500 miles a year on it driving in town 10-45mph

Not in a huge rush to buy a second car but started keeping an eye on traction avants entering the market for something that just needs a good wax and probably a tune up

Fuckin do it, man!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Finger Prince posted:

Fuckin do it, man!

https://twitter.com/alanisnking/status/1465378682072178695?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
family car to me implies kids and while it's fun and a good project i wouldn't like, on the regular transport my kids in a TA. retrofitting shoulder belts will make sure you die in a different way.

your risk tolerance may vary

edit you should totally buy the car though just purely as a fun car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 30, 2021

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Worth it?

https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1465806117234262025

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's a reason why they didn't name the car forum "Automotive Sanity".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

:killdozer: v2.5

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Khizan posted:

There's a reason why they didn't name the car forum "Automotive Sanity".

Yeah seriously.
I drive a reliable rear end Corolla, which has provided me with 13 + years of faithful, mostly uneventful service, and just got a Tacoma, which will likely provide me with more than a deacade of faithful mostly uneventful service.

I need to live vicariously through other people's poor decisions.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

Most people who own a fun unreliable car also have a boring reliable car to fall back on

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to decide which of my cars is the buying reliable one to fall back on and laughing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

I'm trying to decide which of my cars is the buying reliable one to fall back on and laughing

You have stupider cars than I do, but same. If I can include my wife's car it's totally her LC200 because....well, that would be the case pretty much not matter what else I had.

(I respect it for what it is, but it's just........not fun. Not comfortable enough to not be fun..........I await the Land Cruiser lovers hatred. I want to love it, I really do. But I just.....don't)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

imo LCs are a Capability thing and Capability is rarely all that much fun

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

That's why I always recommend the Biturbo if anyone asks

Nitrox posted:

Most people who own a fun unreliable car also have a boring reliable car to fall back on

Or just a miata!

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

(I respect it for what it is, but it's just........not fun. Not comfortable enough to not be fun..........I await the Land Cruiser lovers hatred. I want to love it, I really do. But I just.....don't)

Not comfortable enough relative to what? Being carried around in a litter by slaves like Xerxes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

p sure Motronic drives an early gen Cayenne so yeah, basically :v:

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/yonkers-2002-acura-rsx/7415017918.html
Is this a bad idea?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

5k seems like a lot of money for a 20 year old car with 181k miles from NY modded by someone who thinks words on a windshield are cool.

Can you take a 4 hour trip? https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/auburn-2003-acura/7414333599.html

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 2, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was considering a new Land Cruiser until I sat in one. They're not as big and comfy as you'd think, at least if you're NFL lineman size like I am.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

morothar posted:

Not comfortable enough relative to what? Being carried around in a litter by slaves like Xerxes?

Relative to any modern-ish luxury SUV, including the Lexus version of that very thing. They really really left the suspension quite "trucky".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

p sure Motronic drives an early gen Cayenne so yeah, basically :v:

Also this. Air suspension and ferromag adjustable shocks are magic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

This is good to hear tbqh. I've always loved the idea of the Land Cruiser, but I've never owned one (just been a passenger in them). Maybe it's reasonable/not wrong to consider things other than just straight up reliability when buying a daily?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

This is good to hear tbqh. I've always loved the idea of the Land Cruiser, but I've never owned one (just been a passenger in them). Maybe it's reasonable/not wrong to consider things other than just straight up reliability when buying a daily?

Sure, it all depends on your profile.

But counterpoint: as far as my wife and I are concerned, our LC200 is the greatest automobile that was ever built for our current profile. It hits an absolute sweet spot between space/comfort/power/(perceived) safety/usability/reliability. Mileage is not great, thats it.

Reliability is just one aspect - there is a minimum right to play reliability level a daily has to deliver to make the cut, above that, its about the other capabilities.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

The sporty Acuras used to command insane insurance premiums because of theft. Don't remember which ones, but you might want to check with your insurance before you pull the trigger.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guessing you mean mainly the Integra, but to a much lesser extent also the RSX

Feeling super old now, thanks

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is the consensus on CarMax?

My wife and I are adopting, and I work from home since the pandemic. Since I barely drive and she has a nice big new SUV that will be great for our whole family, I am considering trading in my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek for something like a used Chevy Bolt or a used BMW I3 Giga World. I owe 15k on the Subaru, so I'd have roughly 10k left over after paying off the loan + an additional 4k in savings to add to it. My goal is to reduce my monthly $425 payments which I can afford, but it would be nice to take a few hundred extra dollars and add it to my brokerage account to pay adoption fees each month.

E: forgot to mention, CarMax is offering me $26,600.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 5, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Do you really need to be a 2 car household? If so, I get it, I am part of one, but if you can just sell your car outright...might be worth it.

Otherwise, if you have the cash flow to make it two different transactions (and if your state doesn't have a tax advantage for a trade in or if you take that into account) it is possibly going to be beneficial to sell privately or to someone like carvana, vs selling to and buying from CarMax.

In terms of buying from CarMax, it's fine, but it's not financially optimal. Their warranty is decent but don't trick yourself, you're just buying a used car. I have done it when my car was totalled in a wreck and I needed something RFN. That's given normal market though, I have no clue how they compare in crazy world right now.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the response :)

I pick up the BMW on Friday! Went with Carvana. They gave me a little less for the Subie but I got a better configuration than what was out there on CarMax. I am never an optimal buyer and Ive accepted this fact. Im the one who walks into the car lot and says pfff, thats a great deal on that sticker!! :downs:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My wife ordered a '22 Gladiator from the factory. It's built, but has been sitting in holding waiting for shipping for over a week now. Is that just normal 'waiting for a slot on the train' or is their some bigger delay with rail traffic from Ohio/wherever Jeeps North East depot is to the NY area?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I think it nearly always happens unless you get lucky. There can also be quality check holds and Ford has also had chip holes where its waiting for modules to be installed but I think 1-2 weeks waiting for a train is very common.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pretty normal. i think minimum dwell time at the port of Warwick RI in 2014 when i was last there was about 14 days

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Ok so I'm 29 and I live in Canada and I only started driving this year, my first car is a 1990 Honda accord that I like pretty well, but this thing is older than I am and some day it'll break worse than I can justify repairing.

Basically what I want is this car but newer, but I'm under the impression that they don't make a lot of 4 door sedans anymore and that most modern cars are total trash that break constantly unless you buy a Honda or Toyota, I dunno if that's true or not but it's the impression I get. Most of my driving is in town and on the highway, I don't have a family and never will, and I have no interest in fancy computers and poo poo that break constantly and require expensive repairs that I probably can't do myself. I'm not a big car guy but I can do easy things like replacing brake pads.

My budget would probably be less than $10,000 CAD, I don't imagine that buying new would be an option. I'm basically looking for something fuel efficient that's reliable and won't break very often, and isn't too flashy so as to draw attention as a target for speeding tickets or whatever (what's the best colour for that? Black or white? I'm told that red is out).

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
In this market drive the accord until it dies and reassess then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't really agree with that advice because this market isn't going away in 6 months and if it dies OP will have to find something quickly and will probably have to compromise a lot more than if they really shop around.

OP: whoever told you that about modern cars was full of poo poo. Yes, they're more complicated and you can't do a tune-up with a flathead screwdriver anymore, but they don't need tune-ups anymore because they're designed to run a quarter of a million miles with just oil, brake and filter changes. Modern cars are more reliable, powerful and efficient than ever before.

How much do you drive? A Prius is everything you asked for but they go for a premium so if you don't drive much or far it might not be worth it.

Also, as a single person why do you need a 4 door sedan? They still exist, they're just called crossovers and covered with matte plastic for boring legal reasons involving pollution regulations. Yes, really.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 15, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OTOH, a neutral coloured Prius is pretty much invisible to police.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People say this but IME it's actually nice cars that are invisible and cars that look run down are what gets pulled over.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

People say this but IME it's actually nice cars that are invisible and cars that look run down are what gets pulled over.

This is the real truth. I mean anythings gonna get you revoked and jailed at 150MPH but I pull bullshit maneuvers (that dont cause safety issues for anyone) all day long on city streets in a nice car and have no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm not married to the four door sedan really, it's not the most important part. I kinda assumed that priuses were super expensive from high demand and being made of stuff that comes from across the world. I drive pretty much every day, but not for like hours on end or anything, just to get to the gym and grocery store and stuff.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 15, 2021