Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many currently bad teams aren’t a playoff team if you give them half decent QB play?

Lions
Texans
Jets
Seahawks
Jaguars

Could probably argue some others, but I think all 5 of these have so many problems on defense and elsewhere on offense and coaching that they're out no matter who's QB'ing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Professor Funk posted:

100%. The Bucs went 7-9 the previous year in a tough division with a QB who threw ****30**** interceptions. They were a decent team at least.

Hell the Bucs D dragged them out of the NFC title game despite Brady desperately trying to lose them that game in the second half.

It is funny that had the Packers not blown that end of the game people would be saying Brady is actually washed.

That’s just how narratives be tho

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many currently bad teams aren’t a playoff team if you give them half decent QB play?

The Bucs weren't bad though, they were a bubble team with a QB who threw 30 INT and fumbled 12 times

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Lions
Texans
Jets
Seahawks
Jaguars

Could probably argue some others, but I think all 5 of these have so many problems on defense and elsewhere on offense and coaching that they're out no matter who's QB'ing them.

Pretty much this and Seattle actually HAS a franchise QB. The wheels just fell off everywhere there, he got hurt, and their division is brutal

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nodoze posted:

The Bucs weren't bad though, they were a bubble team with a QB who threw 30 INT and fumbled 12 times

He was also sacked nearly 3 times a game.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Kyle Duggar has the rona 🙃

This is like the worst possible time for an outbreak so of course it will be this weekend

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh yes of course, the famously snake bitten Patriots get another bad break!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I was wondering why the Dolphins weren’t on the list considering their record and wonderful QB play but then I remembered it’s all Jacoby Brissetts fault.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bellmaker posted:

Kyle Duggar has the rona 🙃

This is like the worst possible time for an outbreak so of course it will be this weekend

That’s less than optimal. So now every day it’s gonna be waiting on tests to see who else pops.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

I was wondering why the Dolphins weren’t on the list considering their record and wonderful QB play but then I remembered it’s all Jacoby Brissetts fault.

There’s a stat breakdown of waddles performance with Jacoby vs Tua and man does Jacoby destroy him

Waddle is another guy with Tua there. Gesicki disappears sadly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Eye test tells me that’s exactly right about Gisecki but looking at his game logs he’s had his best 2 games or at worst 1 and 2b with Tua so :shrug:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Falcons Jaguars. I agree. It’s odd

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

The goat of goats

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ESPN needs to be destroyed.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Wrap it up AFCE-ailures, 20 more years of dominance incoming.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mac Jones is also having an infinitely better rookie year than Peyton Manning did because playing QB in the NFL in 2021 is exactly the same as in 2000ish.

Hell, let’s not even go back as far as 1998. Guess this rookie QB

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 2, 2021

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I got it :hai:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, league average passer rating:

2001: 78.5 59% comp % 6.8 ypa 3.9 / 3.4 TD % / Int %
2021: 91.6 65% comp % 7.2 ypa 4.5 / 2.4 TD % / Int %

So they're both more accurate and have a better YPA then league average, Brady threw 7 less ints and 4 less TD's then league average and Mac is almost dead average for TD's and Ints so far.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Joe Montana is like 25th in career QB rating now.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
disregard the omens at your own peril

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, if you go by players who mostly played after 2004 and before, the passer rating list is:

10th - Steven Young 96.8
18th - Joe Montana 92.3
39th - Otto Graham 86.6
40th - Dan Marino 86.4

Everyone else played at least half their career post 2004. Btw, 38th is >>>> Mitchell Trubisky <<<<

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Josh Allen ahead of Joe Montana, Tyrod Taylor at #30 of all time, and Brady not the GOAT. QB Rating is the only true football metric.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Had the right year, but it was my second guess :negative:

I thought it was RG3’s stats at first glance

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Magicpants posted:

disregard the omens at your own peril

I think this would be a good thread title TBQH

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/12/1/22811214/tua-tagovailoa-rpo-offense-miami-dolphins

I think this article kind of sucks because it leaves out how terrible the Dolphins O-line and Running game are, while daming Tua for how much RPO the Dolphins run while burying the lead that first year Mahomes ran it just as often.

But read it if you want, or don't give Bill Simmons the click, either way.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fins are on a four game winning streak at 5-7 and have the Giants, Jets and Saints coming up. It's reasonable to think they could be 8-7 going into their remaining games against the Titans and New England. Let's say they split those. 9-8 must be enough to win a wildcard in this AFC, right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Fins are on a four game winning streak at 5-7 and have the Giants, Jets and Saints coming up. It's reasonable to think they could be 8-7 going into their remaining games against the Titans and New England. Let's say they split those. 9-8 must be enough to win a wildcard in this AFC, right?

Doubt it. The entire AFCW is over 0.500, and the AFCE and AFCN both have a strong runner up team in the Bengals and Pats/Bills.

I can easily see a 10-7 team not making it. Though if they get to 10-7 the Dolphins tiebreakers are pretty good against anyone who isn't the Bills because they'd have to go 4-2 in the division to get there.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So I'm bored at work and now you got me goofing around with the playoff machine and I've discovered that its impossible to know right now.

All the teams the Dolphins would be in contest with for that last spot play each other, sometimes multiple of those teams. 2 of whom are the Colts and Raiders that the Dolphins lost to.

Basically I have them not making it despite being 10-7.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ok, great news Dolfans!

If the Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos finish 10-7

THE DOLPHINS ARE IN BABY.

Same if the Chargers and/or Chiefs are 11-6.

So its in the bag, is what I'm saying.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, there's just too many teams right now. The Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Colts and Browns all have 6 wins and the Steelers have 5.5. And they all play each other multiple times.

Still more sane then what's going on with the NFC 7th seed where you have to pretend the Bears and Giants could still make the playoffs

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This sounds precious, but I'm worried about the Bills making the postseason. I think it's pretty likely that they could go 0-3 over their next three games, then they'd have to not have a single letdown game against the Panthers, Falcons, and Jets to even finish with 10 wins.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

fsif posted:

This sounds precious, but I'm worried about the Bills making the postseason. I think it's pretty likely that they could go 0-3 over their next three games, then they'd have to not have a single letdown game against the Panthers, Falcons, and Jets to even finish with 10 wins.

Kawalimus alt account spotted.

Nov 6, 2002

Is there a playoff machine that lets you create your desired outcome and shows the paths to get there, instead of the other way around?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Is there a playoff machine that lets you create your desired outcome and shows the paths to get there, instead of the other way around?

Tell me you're a millennial without telling me you're a millennial.

What is youre desired outcome? I can give it a try.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Luckily for the Pats you can just use the playoff machine and set the criteria to win % and they shoot to 13-4.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TheBizzness posted:

So I'm bored at work and now you got me goofing around with the playoff machine and I've discovered that its impossible to know right now.

All the teams the Dolphins would be in contest with for that last spot play each other, sometimes multiple of those teams. 2 of whom are the Colts and Raiders that the Dolphins lost to.

Basically I have them not making it despite being 10-7.

Yeah ish. The vibe I have is that if the Dolphins make 10-7, I think they're probably in cause I'm not at all convinced that the Raiders will make that grade.

But 10-7 is nine games in a row without making GBS threads themselves and beating the Saints Titans and Pats.

They'll go 9-7, be like 9th in the playoff order and we'll be in the same place as last year.

Nov 6, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

Tell me you're a millennial without telling me you're a millennial.

What is youre desired outcome? I can give it a try.

Can the Pats, Bills and Dolphins all make it in?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Can the Pats, Bills and Dolphins all make it in?

Gosh you really hate mcmagic huh?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/mac...3~1~401326585~2

Its actually pretty stinkin easy, nailed it in my first shot. Even with the Bills losing to the Bucs (but splitting with NE)! You can play with a lot of the results and all 3 teams still make it.

The one big hangup is the Dolphins beating the Pats in week 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Easiest way to get all 3 in is set Home team to win every matchup and change it so the Dolphins beat the Saints and Titans.

That gets you Bills (2), Dolphins (6), Pats (7). Have the Pats beat the Bills this weekend and it becomes Pats (1), Bills (6), Dolphs (7).

I think it's impossible for all 4 teams though, you can get the Jets in, but I think you can't split enough losses to also get the Bills / Dolphins in

E: No wait, I got it, had to have the Browns and Raiders tie:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 2, 2021