Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

kaido woulda died if killer slashed him as a elephant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Patware posted:

less ridiculous than we'd all hope

One Piece is a combination time machine/cloning device, Zoro is Ushimaru, Luffy is Gol D Roger, and Nami is the origin of all women in the world.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Oh my god

Guys like Holdem and that bat dude really got off lightly aye

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Asuron posted:

Oh my god

There's a man in Kaido's crew whose face is the rear end in a top hat of a giant chicken

So Yes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Asuron posted:

Oh my god

I would prefer that over getting punched in the dick by my new lion parts tbh.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Patware posted:

less ridiculous than we'd all hope

The time fruit doesn't work that way. It's also very likely gone from the series.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would prefer that over getting punched in the dick by my new lion parts tbh.

Well dont be an rear end in a top hat and punch your lion in the back of the head. Holdem got what was coming to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The World Inferno posted:

Oh wait, nvm you probably meant this picture of how King eats

Oda is the greatest human being who ever lived :vince:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Hmm. I guess that would explain how he was able to fight Whitebeard on relatively equal terms. Roger just being stronger than anyone currently alive without a Devil Fruit does rub me the wrong way a little; it sort of preemptively undermines the end-of-series versions of the living characters. Even if Zoro beats Mihawk and Shiliew, it will be open to question whether he’s surpassed Roger as a swordsman. And even if Luffy becomes Pirate King, it will be because he used his Devil Fruit to “make up for” not being on Roger’s level in terms of physical strength and skill combined with Haki. Or am I just overthinking it?

this is kinda a dumb way of thinking, who cares if zoro is the strongest in history, his dream is to be the strongest right now. and devil fruits are just a tool that's like saying a swordsman is "making up for" not just being able to punch people hard enough hell fists are just making up for the fact that you're not bad rear end enough to kill everyone with kings haki

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

rannum posted:

I want a flashback to one piece's dinosaur times

Imagine all the incredible insight oda could be giving us

I feel incredibly ripped off that we had an arc with dinosaurs but they just got dunked by East Blue-era Zoro/Sanji instead of unleashing their true power.

Jesus Oda owns.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

Naruto actually kind of waffles on it's thematic focus the entire time, which continues until the ending is a terrible mess of themes and cross-purpose messages.

eh not really. Naruto's actual entire overarching theme is about forgiveness and letting go of cycles of abuse/hatred that arc is about negi learning to let go of his toxic attitudes towards "destiny" that are driving him to abuse hinata and push his teammates away

the whole gifted/hard work thing is even further dismissed later on when there's a scene of rock lee finding out how negi also trains nonstop and just the general fact that almost every artist i've ever talked to hates the word talent

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, if Naruto is supposed to be about forgiveness and letting go of emotional baggage then why does a good chunk focus on Sasuke’s whole arc of abandoning his comrades for power to be an avenger and then to avenge his avengee?

Like, yeah, that story arc with Neji is basically a super talented peerless prodigy who constantly complains about destiny while literally beating his destiny to an inch of her life and constantly hones his own prodigious skills is probably about letting go, but the whole series?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, if Naruto is supposed to be about forgiveness and letting go of emotional baggage then why does a good chunk focus on Sasuke’s whole arc of abandoning his comrades for power to be an avenger and then to avenge his avengee?

because sasuke is the opposite direction to show contrast to naruto's arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fact that Naruto and pals choose to forgive Sasuke despite him being a huge rear end in a top hat who consistently abandons his friends is in fact evidence towards the series being about forgiveness.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even the Tobi stuff was done well, I thought. He doesn't become their best friend or anything, and he doesn't immediately get talked around, there's just a natural progression to him deciding that whatever the right thing to do is, it probably isn't what he's been doing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Even the Tobi stuff was done well, I thought. He doesn't become their best friend or anything, and he doesn't immediately get talked around, there's just a natural progression to him deciding that whatever the right thing to do is, it probably isn't what he's been doing.

He was the coolest guy though.

Also the forgiveness thing is super fair, it even kind of comes up with Zabuza and Haku when I think about it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like the part where the living warcrime Orochimaru is just cool now and made himself a kid to be like all the other ninja parents.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Note that its he made a child
He did not make himself a kid.

Yes this distinction has to be made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

this is like something out of Lisa the Painful RPG

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SMILE is just Joy but way less hosed up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
gently caress, it really is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the SMILE character designs are great at emphasizing the point that these fruits are unnatural for the One Piece world

even if you eat one and it works there's a good chance that you'll end up looking like a Cronenberg monster

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just want more one piece please and thank you.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

Like, yeah, that story arc with Neji is basically a super talented peerless prodigy who constantly complains about destiny while literally beating his destiny to an inch of her life and constantly hones his own prodigious skills is probably about letting go, but the whole series?

...what? this is like a really simple writing technique, we're meant to see how sasuke is "falling" because of his fixation, while naruto is "growing" due to his attitude. i'm almost baffled that you've levied this as a charge against the series, which for all its faults, was always pretty good about this specific theme

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That's true, but it isn't helped by the fact that Sasuke is the only one that is as relevant and powerful as Naruto.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
absalom legit makes me question why im reading this whenever i get to him lol

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The final chapter of the Boichi Ace Manga is out

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

That was a great mini-series. Nice story and I love Boichi's art style on Whitebeard and Jinbei.

Wonder if Deuce will reappear in some Morgan scenes. Did Oda have any input on the storyboard?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bonk punch

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

building snake

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
every single one of these could pass as a cocktail name, including the old ones

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here's a quick translation of the vol 101 SBS
https://thelibraryofohara.com/2021/12/02/volume-101-sbs-question-corner-summary

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Over time I've definitely gotten used to Boichi's style, and I actually like a lot of his OP characters. His ace in particular's really nice (which is good considering this is his whole manga)
but mannnnn Luffy just looks so wrong. Jinbei's also kind of off.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Cloks posted:

the SMILE character designs are great at emphasizing the point that these fruits are unnatural for the One Piece world

even if you eat one and it works there's a good chance that you'll end up looking like a Cronenberg monster

I think it's a great throwback to what a quack scientist Ceasar is. Momo eats the Vegapunk version and it's a true zoan (barring whatever its 'failure' is) while Kaido buys all his from Ceasar with 90% physical/mental injuries and 10% freakshow.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wait there is 200+ chapters of one piece I haven't read?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Sub Harrison posted:

I think it's a great throwback to what a quack scientist Ceasar is. Momo eats the Vegapunk version and it's a true zoan (barring whatever its 'failure' is) while Kaido buys all his from Ceasar with 90% physical/mental injuries and 10% freakshow.

I think the failure is the inability of the user to control the fruit as easily as a natural one, but we will have to wait for it to be confirmed. We can agree however that being punched in the dick constantly by a lion is a much worse outcome.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like to think the “failure” was some minor defect because Vegapunk is a perfectionist, like the swirls on the fruit were the wrong direction or because Momo is a different color dragon than Kaido

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Until I read otherwise, I'm going to assume from the way they're presented that Monster is actually the "brains" of the pairing with Bonk Punch, and has to guide/direct him around in fights. :allears: