Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
hello postin' pals

does anyone else here use linux

if so, feel free to post about it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

hello postin' pals

does anyone else here use linux

if so, feel free to post about it here

I've had it on most my computers for about 8 years. Very different distros. I love Arch, but run ParrotSec on my main laptop(gaming, tech support, and general needs). Got Debian servers set up on old desktops for network devices and basically love having control of everything from anywhere in the house through ssh. It's nice getting tired and pushing a command to start a movie in the bedroom and hit the bathroom on the way to miss the titles then crash and watch it.

What ya'll rocking shellwise? I'm fully sold on Zsh and Oh-My-Zsh.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i'm excited for the day when games all run on linux :(

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

I've had it on most my computers for about 8 years. Very different distros. I love Arch, but run ParrotSec on my main laptop(gaming, tech support, and general needs). Got Debian servers set up on old desktops for network devices and basically love having control of everything from anywhere in the house through ssh. It's nice getting tired and pushing a command to start a movie in the bedroom and hit the bathroom on the way to miss the titles then crash and watch it.

What ya'll rocking shellwise? I'm fully sold on Zsh and Oh-My-Zsh.

very cool

I'm just using bash atm but I think I'll try Oh-My-Zsh out

your friend sk posted:

i'm excited for the day when games all run on linux :(

Hopefully the Steam Deck will help achieve that somewhat

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

I'm just using bash atm but I think I'll try Oh-My-Zsh out

It's pretty useful with shortcuts and better completion. And it makes it easy to organize stuff for me so I have a collection of rc files for things based on base system and if I'm setting it up for other people or not. My main rc goes back about six years, it's stuffed to the gills with functions and aliases, that's why I have a seperate for if the system is debian or arch base and then I have a fully me one that's only on my systems(it's got shortcuts to ssh/ftp into a bunch of my own stuff) and then the one for other people is mostly just for doing custom shortcuts for them and the main makes it so if I gotta do any work on it in the future I don't have to gently caress around remembering long lines of poo poo that I've already written a function to sort out.

Ha, I spend a lot of time in terminals, big fan of i3 for most things so I don't need a mouse. Terminus on my phone makes ssh into things helpful, like the laptop hooked to my stereo has all my music and I can just pull my phone out and ssh in to a tmux session that has cmus running all the time and play stuff that way.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Mummy Napkin
i've been on Manjaro for a few years now and i don't really have muuch computing to do so it works well for my needs.

i randomly found an opensuse hat at a salvation army in ohio somewhere when i was visiting. i like the lizard

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
If I need a *nix box for somethihg my default distro is the Mint Debian build, have a work VM running that and it's also on a mini-PC at home. Big fan of oh my zsh as well lol, the git related info is awesome when you do a lot of repository work :buddy:

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
anroid is linux therefore im ballin :cheersdoge:

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

NumptyScrub posted:

Big fan of oh my zsh as well lol, the git related info is awesome when you do a lot of repository work :buddy:

Def going through and looking at the various plugins that you can activate is a good first move for people. It's got a lot of cool integrations.

Mummy Napkin posted:

i've been on Manjaro for a few years now and i don't really have muuch computing to do so it works well for my needs.

Which DE or WM you like for Manjaro? It's how I learned to love i3, but I'd set old laptops up for other people with XFCE so they had an easier transition away from windows. I really always liked how Manjaro felt on some laptop with like 1GB RAM.

My lappy with Arch was booting using 43MB and then I'd launch i3 and get a couple things going and be using so little of the 16GB that I just was amazed at how my windows install on the same thing booted up using over 5. And it bugged me that it would boot slower from the SSD than any Linux distro I've tried would boot from a 5400HDD. Pretty sure my old desktop that came with XP boots current Debian faster off IDE than windows will boot for me.

barnold posted:

anroid is linux therefore im ballin :cheersdoge:

I'm a bit sad there isn't a bigger availability to run some straight tux on phone. I'd love to take some old phones and set up ParrotSec and set them around the place to run Wifite and gather. Thought about getting a Pi Zero and putting a weatherproof case on it with a solar charger and set it somewhere just to run a honeypot off a fake wifi that's open, spoof a bunch of main sights and let people dump passwords into it. No reason other than to email them and tell them to stay off open wifi.

NumptyScrub

nesamdoom posted:

I'm a bit sad there isn't a bigger availability to run some straight tux on phone. I'd love to take some old phones and set up ParrotSec and set them around the place to run Wifite and gather. Thought about getting a Pi Zero and putting a weatherproof case on it with a solar charger and set it somewhere just to run a honeypot off a fake wifi that's open, spoof a bunch of main sights and let people dump passwords into it. No reason other than to email them and tell them to stay off open wifi.

Is there nothing on https://forum.xda-developers.com/ that takes your fancy for those devices? I seem to recall at least one person trying to shoehorn Ubuntu onto an older phone a few years back, and some of the custom ROMs may be going in a direction you like the sound of

biosterous

i have a raspi that i mess around with sometimes but like most computer things i'm just flailing around until i get a solution that kinda works but is definitely the wrong way to do things :buddy:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Mummy Napkin

nesamdoom posted:

Which DE or WM you like for Manjaro? It's how I learned to love i3, but I'd set old laptops up for other people with XFCE so they had an easier transition away from windows. I really always liked how Manjaro felt on some laptop with like 1GB RAM.

My lappy with Arch was booting using 43MB and then I'd launch i3 and get a couple things going and be using so little of the 16GB that I just was amazed at how my windows install on the same thing booted up using over 5. And it bugged me that it would boot slower from the SSD than any Linux distro I've tried would boot from a 5400HDD. Pretty sure my old desktop that came with XP boots current Debian faster off IDE than windows will boot for me.

currently just using the stock Manjaro KDE edition. i messed around with i3-gaps when i first started messing around with minimal debian and arch installs. i got an ssd for my old thinkpad that i use as my regular rear end computer and didn't feel like configuring everything again.

i'm not a computer wiz or anything and kind of got into linux as a fluke because i'm just naturally a contrarian turdhead who didn't want to install windows.

when i get the time and motivation, i think i'm going to go with a minimal arch install again and try dwm or i3 again and actually *learn* computer wizardry

alnilam

yes op i use linux

ty manifisto

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Nerds!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

NumptyScrub posted:

Is there nothing on https://forum.xda-developers.com/ that takes your fancy for those devices? I seem to recall at least one person trying to shoehorn Ubuntu onto an older phone a few years back, and some of the custom ROMs may be going in a direction you like the sound of

I have tried some ROMs and a couple i liked but I also hosed my galaxy with them. it'd be nice if a manufacturer would actually work with a distro, but there's no money in it for them. same as game devs that won't make a decent linux version and hope valve/wine/playlinux can get the game to run so they still get paid. Pisses me off that because Microsoft/Sony/Whothefuckever won't pay for an exclusive devs don't give a gently caress. gently caress, I'm enough pissed I spend 100 on a mouse or headset and some random dude is the only way I can even adjust sensitivity because a multi billion dollar company can't pay a dude a few hundred to write the loving code to make it work.

That's really why I like Linux. It's not cunty greedy cunts. People write code because they are amazing and can get poo poo to work, then they give it to other people instead of trying to make money from it. No hate to ppl writing code for a living, but big companies that don't support custormers are dicks.

after all that, I wanna ask. Anyone that uses a tiling window manager and a 60% keyboard? I wanna know a bit about what keyboards other mostly terminal users are rocking and I've gotten pretty set in my mind to switch to a 60 but not sure yet. to be clear, I will use with a laptop with a full board but just wanna have layers so I can avoid my mouse as much as I can whether i'm on a twm setup or not.

Accurate enough I'd buy you a beer if I was saying anything like this in a bar and got called a nerd.

Mummy Napkin posted:

currently just using the stock Manjaro KDE edition. i messed around with i3-gaps when i first started messing around with minimal debian and arch installs. i got an ssd for my old thinkpad that i use as my regular rear end computer and didn't feel like configuring everything again.

i'm not a computer wiz or anything and kind of got into linux as a fluke because i'm just naturally a contrarian turdhead who didn't want to install windows.

when i get the time and motivation, i think i'm going to go with a minimal arch install again and try dwm or i3 again and actually *learn* computer wizardry

I kinda got into it to not have to pirate(which I now do pretty much anything I cant, I'd post something of myself to pirate it if I could) and fix a couple laptops for my nieces kuz they were cheapy and windows really does kinda suck. so then I got into other distros form the ubuntu I set up(still a great opener distro). the upside to arch or even manjaro is that you can mod your xconfig and DE/WM is based from there. I launch arch and do what I need and if needed i'll xstart to pop up GUI. i've not tried doing dwm. I think i3 and maybe its openbox I used with it... been years. pypanel is my fave thing with i3 though, was the best way i ever had to set panel up but it's been years since I ran that set up after moving and not needing a seperate set of things for bedroom and living room.

Farecoal

There he go
2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop :ins:

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

NumptyScrub posted:

the android ROM community is basically completely dead (and mostly died when Google started releasing fairly pure Android builds for their Nexus/Pixel phones) but not even at its height in the late 00s/early 10s was there any real concerted effort to get a true blue Linux experience on a mainstream flagship phone afaik. it would be a cool curiosity though! i think most people are just using their phones to remote into a dedicated Linux box at this point.

PureOS exists I guess but who knows how robust it is. runs on Debian though if you're into that: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/pureos-mobile/

barnold

anyone following the LTT linux saga? i fear even the mention of his name is absolutely haram but i've been sort of interested at how much it seems to have engaged the larger Linux-based community

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

barnold posted:

anyone following the LTT linux saga? i fear even the mention of his name is absolutely haram but i've been sort of interested at how much it seems to have engaged the larger Linux-based community

Linus seemed cool as gently caress about really pushing tech/software to limits. but really nvidia can give him 60k worth of gpus to test some stupid idea but they wont pay someone that much to build a driver set. It's not on him that the industry is hosed. He has done his part to bring people over, but big industry will always suppor the dark(windows) side.

cruft

What even is a Loonix

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
Wow lots of posts

Mummy Napkin posted:

i randomly found an opensuse hat at a salvation army in ohio somewhere when i was visiting. i like the lizard

I use Arch (w/ KDE) btw

also I too like the lizard

Farecoal posted:

2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop :ins:

cruft posted:

What even is a Loonix

Wikipedia posted:

Linux (/ˈlinʊks/ (About this soundlisten) LEEN-uuks or /ˈlɪnʊks/ LIN-uuks[11]) is a family of open-source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel,[12] an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds.[13][14][15] Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
https://bashrcgenerator.com

I discovered this site and added some colors to my bash prompt

Mummy Napkin
*ahem* sorry we need to rename the title to BYOB GNU/Linux discussion thread

Farecoal

There he go
What if BYOB but YOSPOS

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Farecoal posted:

What if BYOB but YOSPOS

:thunk:

NumptyScrub

My OS is a POS (my gaming machine runs Windows :v: )

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

the android ROM community is basically completely dead (and mostly died when Google started releasing fairly pure Android builds for their Nexus/Pixel phones) but not even at its height in the late 00s/early 10s was there any real concerted effort to get a true blue Linux experience on a mainstream flagship phone afaik. it would be a cool curiosity though! i think most people are just using their phones to remote into a dedicated Linux box at this point.

PureOS exists I guess but who knows how robust it is. runs on Debian though if you're into that: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/pureos-mobile/

people are still making android roms just fine barnold. please

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

NumptyScrub posted:

I hope for a world without a need for Winblows

French Accent

i've got a manjaro on the side. doesn't run anything expensive, just a basic pentium for media watching.

i've also built a computer for my pops (as a christmas present!) that's gonna run zorin. he's been complaining endlessly about his laptop being slow, so a freshly built PC should do the trick. he might be computer illiterate, but i think i can set it up so that he doesn't have to worry about a "new environment"

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

biosterous

what is the third-best version of linux

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

biosterous posted:

The one that keeps throwing lawn darts at all the others.

Mummy Napkin

biosterous posted:

Fedora

cruft

cruft posted:

The one that keeps throwing lawn darts at all the others.

Oh wait you said Loonix, not Teletubbies.

cruft

Ubuntu 21.10 split out some kernel modules into an "extra" package, so when I release upgraded my router, it couldn't vlan tag anything, so it couldn't get through the switch to the ISP in order to download the package needed to get the 8021q module needed to vlan tag packets.

I could talk your ear off about running GPU compute nodes in a cloud, but it's more fun to make jokes, so I'll just do that instead.

ar m god

alnilam

Dors anyone else here like Linux Mint, i have run the cinnamon version for years, I changed when Ubuntu got a little too mac-like for me; it's possible it got better since but i haven't bothered to check cause I'm happy enough with mint

alnilam

My computer choices are very limited by :effort:

...as long as i can run a unix-like environment, full of free poo poo, without it being a mac

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

Dors anyone else here like Linux Mint, i have run the cinnamon version for years, I changed when Ubuntu got a little too mac-like for me; it's possible it got better since but i haven't bothered to check cause I'm happy enough with mint

mint cinnamon was my jam for quite a while, but i was tempted back to ubuntu by working fractional dpi scaling. mint is nicer in most ways and i'm sure that'll make it over sooner or later, but yeah. it sure is nice having everything on my screen be exactly what size i want though

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I liked having Linux despite the odd little quirks that bothered me a tiny bit. Such as how no distro I've used or even played around with can have Bluetooth stay turned off after you reboot. Or that eventually all Linux machines crash permanently and you have to reinstall the whole OS.

Now what prevents me from going back is that I have a nice notebook and it has a Windows key. How can I use Linux if the key is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

alnilam posted:

Mint w/ Cinnamon was my first distro so it's very nostalgic for me despite only using less than a year ago