Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The games are incredibly expensive so probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Larryb posted:

It’s also weird that the .hack series consisted of a bunch of games, anime, and manga that from what I hear were all canon to one another.

I’ve never played/seen a single one but it sounds like that might make the series a bit hard to get into, is it worth it?

Can't speak for anything after IMOQ but the Sign anime is mostly a self-contained mystery show about the online relationships people form and the investigation into some oddities taking place in and around the mmorpg. IMOQ came with some ovas called Liminality which were about some people in real life trying to investigate the company running the mmorpg while events of IMOQ were directly affecting the real world. IMOQ tells its own story that Sign is a precursor to but not necessary for understanding. We don't talk about Legend of the Twilight Bracelet and iirc it isn't canon anyway, or at least the anime isn't, and various books like AI Buster were just short stories about some oddities in the game that were being looked into and patched out. There are cameos and references to various key characters and events but they mostly serve as set dressing for a mystery about trying to find out what the deal is with this mmorpg.

imo Sign is slow paced but I think it is worth a watch because it has beautiful music and lovely visuals and is just about a bunch of people forming relationships over an mmo while diving into a scifi mystery

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have the games even been ported or remade for modern consoles for that matter? Also as far as RPGs go, how are they in terms of story and gameplay?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched one episode of the .hack anime on tv years and years ago and it was 100% made up of scenes in which two characters are sitting around and talking

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

It’s also weird that the .hack series consisted of a bunch of games, anime, and manga that from what I hear were all canon to one another.

I’ve never played/seen a single one but it sounds like that might make the series a bit hard to get into, is it worth it?

.hack was maybe the breakout example of the “what if MMO’s but More Real” genre and did it better than many of its successors (especially fuckin Sword Art Online) but the games are ponderous at best and the primary anime, SIGN, isn’t much better

banging music though

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

I watched one episode of the .hack anime on tv years and years ago and it was 100% made up of scenes in which two characters are sitting around and talking

The My Dinner with Andre of animes

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Here's my prediction for 13 Sentinels

You are just a bunch DNA / brain data floating in space if the entire game takes place in one small city. I don't see how else are they are going to explain all this time travel stuff and the fact that outside world seemingly doesnt exist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Larryb posted:

Have the games even been ported or remade for modern consoles for that matter? Also as far as RPGs go, how are they in terms of story and gameplay?

The GU series I've heard is decent and it got a steam port with a whole additional game added in continuing the story but idk if they were good or not.

You can probably just read an lp of IMOQ since the story, the mystery, and the character interaction is what stood out and the main gameplay was kinda plodding and tedious by the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what i mainly remember was it correctly predicting that the avatars in an online virtual world thing would likely be a mix of anime avatars, catgirls, and furries

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imagine if the entire world’s telecom infrastructure somehow ran through FFXIV, whose lead programmer went on a coding jag for months, never told or showed anyone what he was working on, and shot himself when it was done. the game’s admins can’t find or fix it but PC’s are occasionally ambushed by glitched monsters or polygonal nightmares with names taken from obscure German poetry and their players go into catatonic seizures which are then covered up

that’s .hack in a nutshell

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
.hack IMOQ: slow, menu-heavy action rpg dungeon crawler that manages to keep its core mystery interesting throughout most of its gameplay. Very clunky.

.hack GU: a sequel to the original series but previous games are not required playing to understand GU. Combat is way better (though in 2021 this claim ages poorly--it IS better than the first four but that's not a high bar to clear), but ultimately the story starts strong before hitting some pretty clichéd tropes in the back end. There are some pretty rad character moments, though. GU is easier to approach and pick up, hence the HD remake.

.hack SIGN: slow talker of an anime, that is a prequel to the original four games. You are not watching this for action. So long as you understand that, you'll have a good time. Great music (they all have that, though), it handles the MMO vibe about as well as any other series that's attempted it, and the core mystery is nifty.

Everything else: don't. The light novels are harmless and don't drastically affect the main game plotlines, but I can't say how well they've aged. The other anime aren't worth it. The other games aren't worth it.

Consider the giant mass of flesh that comprises the .hack franchise more of a shared universe than a single storyline.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As long as I can still play triple triad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Which of the .hacks has the in-game forum and you start getting fanart of yourself for being good at the MMO?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't forget that the entire mmorpg was created by a guy who made it as a love letter to a woman he never knew and was never in a relationship with and also the game is tied to 1 major OS that is the only OS working now after a virus crashed every other OS and everyone migrated over to it and started playing the mmorpg that runs on it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

Don't forget that the entire mmorpg was created by a guy who made it as a love letter to a woman he never knew and was never in a relationship with and also the game is tied to 1 major OS that is the only OS working now after a virus crashed every other OS and everyone migrated over to it and started playing the mmorpg that runs on it

Someone should reinvent Linux I guess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

the game’s owned by TeslaVerizonSoft and they disappear anyone who tries tinkering with their systems

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

the game’s owned by TeslaVerizonSoft and they disappear anyone who tries tinkering with their systems

Someone should reinvent Linux without doing that I guess

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

it might not be a good anime but if nothing else it understand that while some people love loot, there are plenty of folks that prefer to use MMOs as a social space.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I vaguely remember watching Sign on Toonami and wondering when something was going to happen

Reading up on it now I see that it is correct that the solution to all your problems is to log off

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The reason they move over isn't because it's not a target for viruses, it's because 1 particular virus managed to shut down everything in a world where everything was connected to the internet, so cars and traffic lights, household electronics, power grids, weapons systems, hospital equipment, computers everywhere, and it was during that crash that the only OS still operating was the not-linux.

I think the other major virus happened later where it was the first recorded case of a person being convicted of murder (and maybe executed? can't remember) for creating a virus that killed someone and injured others.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waiting for endwalker, my vibe is like those photos of Quentin Tarantino aimless in his house

Or this lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYUjJrGMjA

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't listened to any of the music or seen anything except the first trailer

experiencing things blind ftw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
.hack//sign is also an interesting show in how it regards the different social structures that develop in an mmorpg environment as well as exploring the use of an online identity that is separate from your real world identity as a way to cope with or experience living in a body you are comfortable with instead of the one you were born with or have to live with.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which of the .hacks has the in-game forum and you start getting fanart of yourself for being good at the MMO?

GU has the fanart, but both the original and GU have fake message boards.

FirstAidKite posted:

I went into a .hack deep dive a few years ago, and did you know they retconned the woman he was in love with to secretly be in a techno cult? Said techno cult infiltrated and took over the company that sad programmer man worked for.

I wish I was making that up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I went into a .hack deep dive a few years ago, and did you know they retconned the woman he was in love with to secretly be in a techno cult? Said techno cult infiltrated and took over the company that sad programmer man worked for.

I wish I was making that up.

That sucks, thankfully I can completely ignore all that because the story is at its best when it is near future scifi mystery with an mmo setpiece

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Siren: Blood Curse

One of the archive documents mentions time travel! I think I'm on to something!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something else I really liked about the IMOQ games were the main major antagonist fights because they were against creatures that just looked weird and strange. Some were humanoid but some were things like a broken wall mural, a comet on a stick and leaf wings, a snake with a nail pierced through its body and head, and whatever the gently caress Fidchell was supposed to be. The GU games brought them back but gave them all more humanoid shapes that really took away from their otherworldly qualities.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I watched the first Sword Art Online series, and it's absolute slop. Nothing that happens in that show is earned or makes sense, but I enjoyed watching it more than I care to admit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yes I'm back in the watchtower with the sniper guy, this is totally a time loop!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wonder when the "Vote for the Best Games of the Year" thread will go up?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Someone will first have to definitively conclude that a video game came out in 2021.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder when the "Vote for the Best Games of the Year" thread will go up?

:thunkher:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite game of 2021 is the games I played with your heart.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
best ps5 game:

1)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GOTY typically goes up in January.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

:popeye:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Predicting it'll be Final Fantasy XIV End Walker since like 90% of this forum plays FFXIV.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

it does not

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
culling my games down to merely ten is going to be hell. I have at least 15 that I could gush about endlessly, and closer to 20 that would beat 2020's number ten slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

it does not

:pcgaming: