Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that's a bad analogy, because bozo became the world's most famous clown. the name is basically synonymous with clowns even though bozo hasn't been culturally relevant for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i don't actually have any clue who bozo is/was and for a long time i didn't realize he was a specific clown and it wasn't just a generic stand-in clown name

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plorkyeran posted:

a generic stand-in clown name
dont sign your posts!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that would be a pretty good username actually

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

but doctor, he said with tears in his eyes, i am the generic stand-in clown

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The_Franz posted:

that's a bad analogy, because bozo became the world's most famous clown. the name is basically synonymous with clowns even though bozo hasn't been culturally relevant for decades

unless i'm not understanding what you mean, being famous is not the same as being a genius

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
true but then again maybe he was a genius of comedy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

unless i'm not understanding what you mean, being famous is not the same as being a genius

some good ideas being laughed at does not mean that every laughed at idea is a good one. he tries to reinforce this by saying that people laughed at a silly non-genius clown as well, but bozo was a brilliant piece of character design and marketing. they made him so famous that, even now, when a huge number of people have never actually seen the character, it's generally the first name you will hear if you asked random people to name a clown, regardless of age

if you are looking for a trivial counter-example in the form of something dumb that was laughed at, a character who clowned his way into the cultural lexicon is not the best example

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tbf when Carl Sagan said that Bozo was current.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The_Franz posted:

some good ideas being laughed at does not mean that every laughed at idea is a good one. he tries to reinforce this by saying that people laughed at a silly non-genius clown as well, but bozo was a brilliant piece of character design and marketing. they made him so famous that, even now, when a huge number of people have never actually seen the character, it's generally the first name you will hear if you asked random people to name a clown, regardless of age

if you are looking for a trivial counter-example in the form of something dumb that was laughed at, a character who clowned his way into the cultural lexicon is not the best example

I would have said Homie the Clown if you asked me op

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

I would have said Homie the Clown if you asked me op

*hits u with sock*

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Plorkyeran posted:

i don't actually have any clue who bozo is/was and for a long time i didn't realize he was a specific clown and it wasn't just a generic stand-in clown name

we're basically a few short steps away from the equivalent of bugs bunny calling elmer fudd "nimrod" and people adopting it as a generic insult instead of a facetious comparison of fudd to a great hunter of antiquity

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the nimrod press sponsored some PBS show I used to watch, and it was always hilarious after having grown up watching Bugs Bunny cartoons

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

narrator 9 minutes ago | next [–]

Banting and Best came up with the idea for synthetic insulin, tested it on themselves, tested it on animals, tested it on comatose diabetic children, developed and released a commercial product, and won the nobel prize in a span of 3 years back in the 1930s. Doing things on this kind of timeline now would be totally illegal and they would have lost their medical licenses and been thrown in jail no matter how well the whole thing worked.
Longevity science overseas is embracing this no rules, we want the future now, kind of mentality. It's amazing what Bioviva has done with adult gene editing. It's probably some of the more underreported science news in modern history. I could see Bioviva getting shut down by the feds and gene editing for longevity going back to the realm of stuff we don't have anymore like the Concorde or a moon landing capable space program.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
if they are lucky, nothing will happen
if they are unlucky, it's tumor time, baby

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

landemva 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

2600 was holding up until they went full social justice woke corona anti-Trump hating the past two years. Really sad to watch.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

veselin 14 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Well, I disagree with pretty much everything in the claims.
First, most real unoptimised code faces many issues before memory bandwidth. During my PhD, the optimisation guys doing spiral.net sat nextdoor and they produced beautiful plots of what limits performance for a bunch of tasks and how each optimisation they do removes an upper bound line until last they get to some bandwidth limitation. Real code will likely have false IPC dependencies, memory latency problems due to pointer chaising or branch mispredictions well before memory bandwidth.
Then the database workload is something I would consider insanely optimized. Most engines are in fierce performance competition. And normally they hit the memory bandwidth in the end. This probably answers why the author is not comparing to EPYC instances that have the memory bandwidth to compete with Graviton.
Then the claims that they choose not to implement SMT or to use DDR5 are both coming from their upstream providers.

looking at their publications, over half their work is on ffts, followed by graph algorithms. typical cloud workloads.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
what’s that from? i’ve definitely seen people make claims like optimization doesn’t matter because everything’s limited by memory performance anyway, and the first part is a reasonable enough argument against that (or at least a reference to one)

the idea that databases are optimized so obviously there’s no perf to be gained there is a pretty hilarious hn take, though

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
from https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29444746

the person is applying his second hand understanding of what a research group was doing optimizing a specific set of problems in isolation to the actual workloads people are running on cloud infra. and is also just wrong about dbs lol.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
poo poo, just throw a dart at the comments: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29463051

the economist says the great resignation isn't real because it hasn't affected japan. 90% of hn fails to consider how current job market trends impact anyone who isn't a six-figgy fuckface

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

aspax 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Indeed. Every time I read a post like the grandparent I move closer to full-blown antivaxx.

quote:

globular-toast 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]
When I see threads like these with all the buried/flagged comments I get strong "dangerous thinking" vibes. I won't be taking any more of these.

AccountToUse 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]
Any more booster shots? Any more vaccines?

globular-toast 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]
Booster shots. Something doesn't smell right. People on all sides are scared and I don't think rational thought is being applied any more.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

DaTroof posted:

poo poo, just throw a dart at the comments: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29463051

the economist says the great resignation isn't real because it hasn't affected japan. 90% of hn fails to consider how current job market trends impact anyone who isn't a six-figgy fuckface

If YOSPOS had a thread on Blind it'd be nonstop insanity and toxicity

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

djsbs 1 hour ago | undown | next [–]

Law of Burgos 1512 Sublimis Deus 1537 Pastorale Officium 1537 New Laws 1542

Laws of Spain, or of Roman Christendom, declaring that America belongs to Americans (ie natives) and that they are free.

Bill of rights not seen by any European colonized peoples elsewhere.

Ever wonder why all the brown people seem to live south of Rio Grande, as soon as the language changes to Spanish? Because the Spaniards were, by far, the most benign European imperialists.

There were crimes, Potosi cries out to this day, but the fact that an Incan nobleman knew how to write in Spanish and could petition the court of Charles V (?) is a testament to Spain.

¡Viva España!

lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that whole drat thread

pvaldes 1 hour ago [flagged] | prev [–]

Cherry-picking is useful to promote agendas, but I would prefer to ask the opinion of a true historian about that.
> one of the most important and idiosyncratic texts of Indigenous American literature remained forgotten
Hem, nope. I don't buy this BS.
In the roman empire tradition, Spanish crown registered absolutely anything of interest. They funded the first global, -global-, scientific studies about American Flora and Fauna. The whole stuff. Just one book in the series would gave us a much better picture of the history than this text.
And they spent a lot of money in that huge task, just to publish and share it with the rest of Europe. We have 'English' tomatoes and 'Dutch' potatoes and 'Italian' peppers or avocados because they shared the discoveries. Think about it. Try to culture some Asian spices in Europe instead.
There are probably hundreds, (if not thousands) of more relevant texts about the early history of the New World. And unlike the old tale of "boy finds big thing gathering dust in a library" they are available to anybody interested.
Spaniards or Portuguese crowns did a lot of things wrong but also a lot of things right. The last week somebody was talking on TV about if is time to repatriate the remains of Hernan Cortés to Spain to protect them from haters, The man was dead for centuries, for Pete's sake!.
Lets put it clear, this "miraculous discovering" is just another cancel latinoamerican culture stunt.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

we don't even know how to read quipus and there's debate over whether they only record numeric information or if they can also represent non-numeric data

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao the Spanish conquest of the americas (death toll around 10 million) being Actually Very Humane is definitely a take

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
also "SPAIN HONORABLY SHARED THE DISCOVERIES THUS ITALIAN PEPPERS!!!1!" when (a) i'm sure that's not the history at all lmao and (b) um the story here doesn't involve europeans discovering anything, it's europeans assigning themselves credit for food crops developed by the inca and other pre-conquest american civilizations

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmao the Spanish conquest of the americas (death toll around 10 million) being Actually Very Humane is definitely a take

i think there's some right wing influencer peddling this crap at the moment, because in the past month ive interacted with two people claiming that the spanish expeditions didnt start doing slavery until much later, a claim ive never heard in my life and which only makes sense if you take "much later" to mean about 10 minutes after any of them met their first indigenous person

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so, there were actually major differences between chattel slavery and the encomienda that the spanish imposed on native americans, but the encomienda was still communal slavery even at its most reformed point, and it was usually way worse than that. the spanish eventually fought wars against their colonies to try to reform it to be "merely" a sort of communal short term of service, and they didn't really win those wars. and of course the spanish also practiced chattel slavery against africans

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 10, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i'm trying to assume as much positive intent as i possibly can when i say this: well, actuallying about slavery is always a bad look. at best you are acting like neil degrasse tyson

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Breakfast All Day posted:

i think there's some right wing influencer peddling this crap at the moment, because in the past month ive interacted with two people claiming that the spanish expeditions didnt start doing slavery until much later, a claim ive never heard in my life and which only makes sense if you take "much later" to mean about 10 minutes after any of them met their first indigenous person

lol, the african slave trade to the americas was up and running like 10 years after columbus landed, and within 100 years the native population of hispaniola was extinct

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
high_byte 17 hours ago | prev | next [–]

I just joined a startup about 6 weeks ago. yesterday I've been told it was quite boring before I joined and they dread the day the company grows and HR starts watching you. unfortunately today I've been "language-policed" for the first time and probably not the last :(

it's been fun. that's one of the reasons I don't support rapid growth, but investors expect that (ceo said that) and nearly every day there's a new face and to be honest it looks like they will accept anyone who's willing to work there because offices not in central location. sad. I'd much rather keep a tight culture of close friends who are always on top of what's going on.

lewispollard 15 hours ago | parent | next [–]

What do you mean by, "language policed"?

rgrs 15 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Use of politically correct language, I guess

dbavaria 9 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Please avoid using the word police in this context, it detracts from the work done by actual police officers.

fzil 6 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

that's a pretty good example of language policing.

dbavaria 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

The comment even got downvoted, so yes a good example all around.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Everybody has won, and all must have prizes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the "tight culture of close friends" after working with them for 6 weeks

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mostertoaster 23 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Yes and no.
I am myself, my mannerisms, my mode of communication, the way I treat others, are all “me”.
But I rarely talk about anything I value, because my values are more traditional and classical, and tech companies values are what is popular.
It doesn’t bother me that my values are different, what bothers me is how you can loudly proclaim your opinions provided they’re in line with the status quo, but you will be cancelled if you hold a differing opinion, even if your differing opinion doesn’t cause you treat others badly.
At My current, more progressive, work place, I would be labeled as a conservative, yet at my previous more conservative work place, I was thought liberal. The difference was at my previous place it was ok to have and share differing opinions.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

the "tight culture of close friends" after working with them for 6 weeks

When all your role models treat close friends as transactional labor objects...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

opinions

oh_you_know_the_ones.tweet

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I keep seeing people saying "oh, I can't be my TRUE SELF" at work, and all I can see is "well, your true self must be ridiculously lovely then".

I am a Dude with ADHD who was raised Libertarian/Catholic and a lot of times I cannot control the leap from brain to speech. (You guys should know, you have to read my posts) If _I_, an old man -- after nearly two decades of computer touching -- have not been pulled into HR and officially reprimanded for saying something lovely, then I think the average Jim-Bob should be able to as well.

Like, I'm not saying I'm perfect, or that I've never offended anyone. That's impossible. But come ON guys... there's a difference between having to apologize and make amends occasionally and being a Seriously lovely Human Being.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also, since when are workplaces supposed to be places for expressing your True Self? they are places for getting work done and behaving in a professional manner. if you feel the overpowering need to express your True Self, well, thats what all the hours and spaces outside of work are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah I was going to say something along the same lines.

I suppose it's the same dudes who are all like "ugh, why do I have to treat strangers nicely? I don't know them. they could be assholes!"