Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
let's talk about everyone's favorite video game / novel series, halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
josh04 is contractually obligated to post in this thread

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

how's about that battle pass eh

fuckin' sucks!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh wait this is another thread i can get mad about prequels in, isn't it

(i've never played reach though)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm led to believe that Reach is pretty good and 4/5 are not-so-good, but I only played 1/2/3. ODST also exists.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
odst was good as hell but it was the last one i played

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I loving love Halo. Something about taking the traditional story of Scrappy Humans fighting a space war against Technologically Superior Aliens and having it slam face-first into this grand cosmic mystery about an ancient progenitor race and the super-tech they left behind after their losing effort to check a zombie apocalypse that neither side of the space war is equipped to deal with is so intoxicating to me.

I love everything about the Covenant, all their races and stories and internal politics and tech. I love the Spartans and how their horrific past as a crypto-fascist government bio-weapon program that involved kidnapping and murder to create the ultimate jackboot enforcers gave way to a higher purpose as the heroes of humanity. I love the dirtbag villains that are the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI! I understood that reference, said 18 year old me!) and how they can't stop conniving and manipulating and assassinating even when mankind is on the brink of doom. I love Cortana, I love Johnson, I LOOOOOOOOVE the Arbiter, I love that ODST is a Firefly cast reunion in the way Gargoyles was for Star Trek TNG, I love that team of doofuses on Reach so much I bought the collectors edition so I could have their dumb team statue, and I even love John Halo and his character that's should be nothing but his voice actor did so much to make iconic.

Oh, and the music is in the top tier of all videogame music ever.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

josh04 posted:

fuckin' sucks!

It's been improved. It's now easier to level up and collect those precious challenge swaps that everyone loves.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo is a fun game that never got a chance to explore how absolutely horrible the human faction government is and I'd really like if in Halo Infinite I can start killing them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

fuckin' sucks!

Gods must be strong

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
That Beyoncé song is pretty good

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I heard that mister chef's cyborg armor jerks him off, c/d?

Also my legit favorite weird halo thing is that all the ship names sound like mid-00's screamo bands.

"This saturday, Pillar of Autumn is opening for In Amber Clad. Its gonna be a sick fuckin show!"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They're doing Iain M Banks but not really, right?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

josh04 posted:

They're doing Iain M Banks but not really, right?

Kind of Heinlein trying to do a Banks impression but getting bored and wandering off.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

RBA Starblade posted:

Gods must be strong

I have defied Gods and Demons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanguinia posted:

I have defied Gods and Demons.

Her-e-tic! Her-e-tic!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Childrens voices celebrating as a space alien, who presumably had their own hopes and dreams, has their head violently exploded by a 7 foot tall two ton fascist death machine

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

RBA Starblade posted:

Her-e-tic! Her-e-tic!

I am a monument to all your sins.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Barudak posted:

Childrens voices celebrating as a space alien, who presumably had their own hopes and dreams, has their head violently exploded by a 7 foot tall two ton fascist death machine

Have you considered that he's a badass and a credit to his useless fascist marine corp though?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

josh04 posted:

Have you considered that he's a badass and a credit to his useless fascist marine corp though?

Oorah Marines! <immediately get hit by fellow marine driving warthog>

Given how absolutely dogshit the marine AI is no wonder ONI needed to develop Spartans to prevent the secessionists from winning

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
the marathon cyborg would whoop master chief's rear end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Animal-Mother posted:

He's a battleroid

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

He's a battleroid

Please, Prequeldome was closed for a reason.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Haloring" is a really bad name for a thread but I kinda wish it weren't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand Bungie's love of crossing all their projects over with each other through vague hints and poetic lore bite is cool

On the other hand I can now use a grappling hook to hijack an enemy gunship and kick out the enemy pilot over the void

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

here to talk about the precursors who aren't the same thing as the forerunners who aren't the same thing as the before-people

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The plot does seem to have descended into an awful lot of the interpersonal relationships of ancient space jerks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

The plot does seem to have descended into an awful lot of the interpersonal relationships of ancient space jerks.

There's at least four different versions of the jerkoff called the Didact, last I checked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

There's at least four different versions of the jerkoff called the Didact, last I checked.

Hes dead and killed off in a comic so nobody has to talk about him again, much like Assassins Creed's original plot

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is cortina hot these days.Is cortana naked? Is cortana have big boobs?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
No, they got rid of her vagina bones.

The final level in Reach kicked so much rear end.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That DICK! posted:

Is cortina hot these days.Is cortana naked? Is cortana have big boobs?

Cortana is your helpful Windows search assistant, my friend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The new Halo game appears to have the plot of you taking clothes wearing tv commercial attractive Cortana to kill no clothes wearing 128 Teratits Cortana

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

128 Teratits

drat....that's a lot of bitcoins

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jazerus posted:

drat....that's a lot of bitcoins

Friend, shes got backup drives so thick her cold storage is absolute zero

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMpjMmCd00

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iirc this guy's response to the guns in Metro was "lmao"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

That's right

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

josh04 posted:

I'm led to believe that Reach is pretty good and 4/5 are not-so-good, but I only played 1/2/3. ODST also exists.

I've replayed every game except for Reach and played 4 and 5 for the first time within the last year.

4 was pretty good but insanely short, like "I beat the game in one ~6 hour session on a lazy Saturday" short. Takes the story in a weird new direction that feels like it's building to something bigger and then is COMPLETELY ignored by 5.

5...5 had solid gameplay alongside some good ideas and world building (One level sees you visiting a planet where humans are working for a mining company attempting to restore a world that was previously glassed by the Covenant) but it never quite gelled. The whole "Team of SPARTAN-IVs tracks down a 'rogue" Chief and his team" conceit sucked - you know Chief is still a good guy, and it's not like they try to obfuscate that in the narrative - and the "Now you always have a team of AI squadmates" mechanic felt half-baked. That said, the last level or two when the story really comes together (Cortana repaired herself with Forerunner tech...but now she's both rampant AND all-powerful, deciding that she knows how to protect humanity whether they like it or not, and uses her newfound abilities to rally almost every AI in the galaxy into turning on humanity to join her crusade) really sets the stage for a wild next installment...so of course from what I've read Infinite handwaves a lot of those developments immediately.

Oh and ODST is pretty great for what it is, a short game composed of relatively quick action setpieces tied together by navigating a moody hub world (One night in New Mombasa between the Covenant invasion in 2 and the discovery of the Artifact in 3.)

Barudak posted:

Hes dead and killed off in a comic so nobody has to talk about him again, much like Assassins Creed's original plot

Finding out that the whole "First Civilization remnant has manifested themselves in modern times" story was wrapped up in a comic (that also introduced Desmond's bastard tween son) made both no sense and The Most Sense.