Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Flavahbeast posted:

maybe Duane doesn't actually remember his death and resurrection so good

Zombie Duane has perfect memory, especially when he's revisiting events in the khert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A.o.D. posted:

Zombie Duane has perfect memory, especially when he's revisiting events in the khert.

He does indeed, assuming he isn’t avoiding those memories like the plague.

Which I think is a fairly safe bet.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My thoughts when seeing today's page was 'yikes, at least only one of the little eggs is dead'.

ashley cope on q&a blog posted:

The others are under water.
Well then

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

FreeKillB posted:

My thoughts when seeing today's page was 'yikes, at least only one of the little eggs is dead'.

Well then

Honestly supportive of a two-toes massacre of many, many, many humans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A good many pages since the last update posted in this thread, but today in particular was a three-page set (for the whole week).

Ash said we probably wouldn't expect the conclusion of Siya and Sara's sibling squabbles, and well,

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Welp.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yikes, looking like I was pretty close,

Skippy McPants posted:

Was looking back at the title back and, uhh, everyone on the path is dead, right?

Hang in there Ruffles!

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

It's fine! She'll be battered by the river, but she'll be washed down to Jivi and Matty in a stroke of divine luck! It's fine! :smithicide:

See the above happening later in the chapter in the worst possible way.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:wow:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Yikes, looking like I was pretty close,

Hang in there Ruffles!

I guess Siya and Ruffles are currently still alive at least for now, some of the girls are probably still in the safe room, and since the title page is obviously a flashback at this point, those boys and some of the others might have left the shrine before current events, but yeah, there's some dead people walking there for sure.

I am not "taking sides" or whatever, both nations have glaring issues, but I definitely have a feeling on how the Crescian government is going to spin this:

"Aldish troops storm a defenseless shrine fueled by nothing but hatred and cruelty! Rumors of giant god statue cannons, secret military construct facilities, and warfare research including but not limited to weaponizing water woman are completely false, as anyone can clearly see all that is there is the old shrine area and rubble due entirely to the soldier's assault. Countless holy twins were slaughtered by Aldish hands, not a self destruct spell that never existed. The Aldish invaders were confirmed to be a company comprised entirely of foul Ssaelit men, not because they were the only ones that would do the job, but because tolerating that perverse religion is a horrible no good Aldish thing to do and why we don't tolerate such blasphemy here in Cresce! Let us rally against the evil North!"

Of course I don't expect them to use those exact words, but hiding all your secret military facilities under a holy site with plausible deniability and a perfect PR stunt as not only a backup plan but perhaps the destruction of which being the primary goal is a pretty underhanded thing to do. I will be surprised if that isn't what happens, though my track record for predictions in this story hasn't been anything nearing prophet levels.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Looking forward to Duane and Lem having a reunion conversation

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm thinking PART of how Lem was assuaging his own guilt was a somewhat rosey idea of what Duane's undeath would look like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and now it turns out he’s not only ghastly looking, he’s gone completely loop-de-loops

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

and now it turns out he’s not only ghastly looking, he’s gone completely loop-de-loops

No no, that part's how he knows it's really Duane.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, so, what does the look on Lemuel's face mean?

Do the Ssaelit have a version of Levirate marriage? Might still be awkward to tell your zombified bro that you married his widow.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lem killed Duane to get his wife :tinfoil:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I think I remember somewhere in the Tumblr Q&A that there would be a period of mourning, then she would be married off again. So, yeah, I think Lemuel is Leysa's husband, and Simon probably doesn't remember Duane at all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If that's a normal part of Ssaelit or Aldish culture, you'd think Duane might have at least considered the possibility already.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lem has a lot of nerve to lecture anyone considering the obviously hosed up poo poo he was involved in. If he was part of the conspiracy that killed Duane and Mikaila then he can eat a big bowl of poo poo if he somehow blames Duane for not doing whatever he needed to do to politely die on his own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if Lem just trounces Duane here and flies off then I am going to poo poo

please let the pontificating corpse’s patriotic delusions finally slip here. sette got her reality check at the nevergreen, it’s his turn

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Lem has a lot of nerve to lecture anyone considering the obviously hosed up poo poo he was involved in. If he was part of the conspiracy that killed Duane and Mikaila then he can eat a big bowl of poo poo if he somehow blames Duane for not doing whatever he needed to do to politely die on his own.

Lem absolutely blames Duane for getting himself assasinated, in his view Duane squandered any opportunities to help Alderode by sticking to his sense of morals instead of making any "pragmatic" solutions like agreeing to the use of the Weeping Plague. Duane's death was another pragmatic solution, just this one involved fratricide.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t know if Duane’s assassination was a result of his rejection of Bodie’s plan - that’s a big operation to roll out in the space of a few hours. My take was that Duane was supposed to dazzle the council and accept the position, adding extra outrage/pathos to his death later that evening. Instead he hosed it up by rebuking the council (and the assassins hosed up by killing his daughter as well)

unless the assassination was set aside as a contingency plan, but I’m not sure if Bastion would have been onboard if his Frankenstein bullshit was intended to be Plan B

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I originally felt that Bastion set up the assassination because Duane was exactly what he needed to make his monster but :shrug:

Bastion needed an innate tacit caster wright who was both supremely skilled and also specifically a very devout Ssaelit so they wouldn't simply throw themselves on the nearest bonfire after being made into an undead monstrosity. Like that's a laundry list that you can't expect to fall into your lap.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Nah, Bastion wasn't behind it, he was hired. Duane was definitely what got him on board though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t know if Duane’s assassination was a result of his rejection of Bodie’s plan - that’s a big operation to roll out in the space of a few hours. My take was that Duane was supposed to dazzle the council and accept the position, adding extra outrage/pathos to his death later that evening. Instead he hosed it up by rebuking the council (and the assassins hosed up by killing his daughter as well)

unless the assassination was set aside as a contingency plan, but I’m not sure if Bastion would have been onboard if his Frankenstein bullshit was intended to be Plan B

Could very well be that foiling the assassination was in the cards as well.

Fabricated posted:

I originally felt that Bastion set up the assassination because Duane was exactly what he needed to make his monster but :shrug:

Nah, he was hired for it, and having a tacit caster to work with for his own purposes once the deed was done was his reason for taking the job.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

if Lem just trounces Duane here and flies off then I am going to poo poo

i'm making GBS threads

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I congratulate you, but I'm still holding out hard for line 2 of that post.

Oxxidation posted:

please let the pontificating corpse’s patriotic delusions finally slip here. sette got her reality check at the nevergreen, it’s his turn

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 30, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lem is such a dick.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

i'm making GBS threads

never let it be said that you do not stand by your commitments

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

THIS IS GOING FINE

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Duane is pretty good at admonishing himself. If only he'd actually change because of it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I think he's hearing Ssael for the first time since dying? I'm not sure since until now it's always been wordless.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Fabricated posted:

Duane is pretty good at admonishing himself. If only he'd actually change because of it.

I dunno, I'm reading this as Duane is having his final act Scrooge moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s spent this chapter and the last beating women and tormenting children in the most pretentious way possible, he’s hit rock bottom as illustrated on that page

he’s not going to declare war on Alderode or dopeslap his fratricidal brother’s ponytail off, but all of this should let some of the air out of his self-righteousness

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah, I think this is hopefully supposed to be a turning point for him. Between being rejected by his brother, and facing the fact that his own actions have directly led to a bunch of kids being killed he's finally gotten the reality check he desperately needed.

I really hope that it's finally going to sink into him that his own country is every bit as hosed up and horrible (if not more so) than Cresce. Duane's always been a nice person when not blinded by nationalism & xenophobia, it's a shame its taken a shrine full of dead children to (potentially?) cure him of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ashley posted:

The ultimate lesson of that story is that Duane lost two lads during the war. He thought it was Jon’s death that had him so disturbed after recounting it, but it’s Lemuel that’s been haunting him. Lem’s knowing smirk when Duane agreed with the Plats’ take on Jon not qualifying as a “lad,” was a rictus; a death mask. Lem learned at that moment that big, important, educated Duane is a moral coward just like everyone else he’s ever known, and a part of Lemuel died. He set the prisoners on fire that night. Why not?

today's pages were... something

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
We've got title website name drop!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

We've got title website name drop!

And Quigs looking about to lose it and maybe go ballistic to go after his son and construct. Another Duane revelation moment might get cut short due to "circumstances".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Quigly knows that the queen’s researchers reverse engineered the field spreader, which means they’ll want to destroy uaid to keep someone else from doing the same.