Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*newscaster voice* they're calling it the sex variant, and it's when you get hosed, in the rear end. tonight, at 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*newscaster voice* they're calling it the sex variant, and it's when you get hosed, in the rear end. tonight, at 9

dicks out for covid-69

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Alicia_Smith19/status/1466820411287552016

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

strange to see how this is being discussed in south africa and israel vs in the us media.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wait a minute. this post makes it sound like the omicron variant is not going to result in the total collapse of civilization. it doesn't even suggest that this is the one that rips through all the vaccines and kills you dead the moment you step outside your bedroom. this isn't in line with my miserable attitude! those scientists must be lying!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this isn't in line with my miserable attitude! all media coverage on every new variant

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

this reminds me of how the H1N1 strain in 2009 started out being an oh no pandemic and then mutated enough to be mild but virulent. now it's just another seasonal flu variant you get a shot for sometimes

hopefully this is the start of SARS-CoV-2 being just another thing you get a shot for every fall

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

when I click on that tweet, why are all the related tweets extremely chuddy?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

when I click on that tweet, why are all the related tweets extremely chuddy?

the related tweet is also about covid but one being boosted in the chudosphere

in short twitter sucks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

wait a minute. this post makes it sound like the omicron variant is not going to result in the total collapse of civilization. it doesn't even suggest that this is the one that rips through all the vaccines and kills you dead the moment you step outside your bedroom. this isn't in line with my miserable attitude! those scientists must be lying!!
The thing that's going to make everyone go literally insane following this poo poo is that almost *none* of the twitter scientists that everyone has been following since Delta blew up really talk about efficacy vs infection vs efficacy vs severe disease/death. The first thing you can eyeball a bit on early data (and that will change as more data comes in), but severity for unvaxxed vs fully vaxxed vs boosted/etc is something that's gonna take longer. The thing all these people are talking about is efficacy vs infection.

The former we don't have solid numbers on yet, the latter we have almost nothing on because you have to wait to see.

I actually doubt that it's milder- but I also doubt it's any worse for severity. Incidentally full vaxx didn't really do a good job of preventing infection by Delta- it's just that it prevented severe disease extremely well still but people don't really talk about it.

Like this is bad and I'm worried about it because why wouldn't you worry at least a bit about it, but man the posting has been extremely bad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fabricated posted:

efficacy vs infection vs efficacy vs severe disease/death

vs fighting polygon team (x30)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

on one hand, the world health organization. on the other hand, this guy. hm.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

c-spam covid thread poster: it’s the same picture

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

on one hand, the world health organization. on the other hand, this guy. hm.

my entire point is that the media is fear mongering and blowing it out of proportion!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
on the one hand, smoke dope. on the other hand, smoke dope every day

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DELETE CASCADE posted:

:hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

https://youtu.be/B_jcxsE1Ahg

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
robots are wise and have much to teach us

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

post hole digger posted:

my entire point is that the media is fear mongering and blowing it out of proportion!

oh, well, yeah.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
drat i lost most of my gangtags :(

at least it's a huge tower again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Franz posted:

yeah, but you can join any of the branches for this purpose. why specifically the marines in these cases?

i think it varies. my perhaps over-reductive answer would be that the marines are presented as the most glamorous of the armed services. there's that truman quote about the marines having the best propagandists in the world or something like that.

i remember a hilarious post poking fun at the navy somewhere years ago on the forums where someone described the platonic ideal of each of the branches:

army: hard soldiers facing down the soviet horde in the fulda gap
air force: creepy ultra-WASPs planning maximally efficient air strikes
marines: dudes slaying lava monsters with swords
navy: a grizzled old salt stumbling down the boardwalk with a liquor bottle in one hand and a prostitute in the other
(i can't remember if there was one for coast guard lol)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Navy's room mate who's always stuck DDing.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Covid booster report: I got moderna on friday night after getting pfizer for the first sequence. It absolutely kicked my rear end. Feeling a bit better today at least.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

are they boosting Moderna with half dose or full dose?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Dunno. I overheard the pharmacist say something about how the dosing is different for the booster but I didn't get any specifics.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yes, moderna is a half dose. moderna had more rna to begin with (maybe why it was associated with more side effects?), so they cut it in half. moderna started with 100, pfizer is 30.

i’d guess that the formulation matters too (as in the lipids and the manufacture process), so idk if 3x in the original moderna translated to 3x activity.

and the rna sequence itself probably matters too with respect to how much of the spike protein gets made by your cells.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the moderna booster is a lower half dose, yes. dose 1 and 2 are .5ml, booster dose is .25ml

those are 100 and 50 μg, respectively, for the .5mL and .25mL doses.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Eeyo posted:

yes, moderna is a half dose. moderna had more rna to begin with (maybe why it was associated with more side effects?), so they cut it in half. moderna started with 100, pfizer is 30.

i’d guess that the formulation matters too (as in the lipids and the manufacture process), so idk if 3x in the original moderna translated to 3x activity.

and the rna sequence itself probably matters too with respect to how much of the spike protein gets made by your cells.

yeah mrna has basiclaly a counter on the end of it that counts down to destruction of the mrna molecule.

it’s got a repeating sequence at the end of the rna molecule, each time it passes through a ribosome to make a copy of the protein, one copy of the repeating countdown sequence is chopped off. once there is none left, the rna gets destroyed and consumed by the cell. so rna in one vaccine might make 5 protein copies per rna molecule, another might make 10.

this is a normal mechanism in your cell because rna doesn’t last long on its own (which is also the reason for the super cold vaccine fridge requirements). in the cell mrna gets destroyed intentionally before it breaks down on its own and starts loving and makes bad copies of the proteins

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it’s always been a death cult, it’s just now we have receipts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

these are all accurate and i laughed at the marines one

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh the deaths chart is much funnier when you go to the website

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
GOP betting on gerrymandering working still in the face of the electoral strategy of "letting a pandemic kill our voters at like a 4:1 ratio to democrats"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fabricated posted:

GOP betting on gerrymandering working still in the face of the electoral strategy of "letting a pandemic kill our voters at like a 4:1 ratio to democrats"

Deep red states will stay deep red, yes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

these are all accurate and i laughed at the marines one
it's pretty wild how dumb you'd have to be to be considered the dumbest branch of the us armed forces

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins posted:

it's pretty wild how dumb you'd have to be to be considered the dumbest branch of the us armed forces

man do i ever have some stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fabricated posted:

they're right