Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
So this game is coming out on the 24th, apparently it’ll be rimworld-like but with dwarves also…? :thunk:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/930230/King_under_the_Mountain/

quote:

A simulated world – The game world is built on a series of interlocking systems which combine together to simulate a living, breathing world. As night changes to day, trees and plants will grow (or not) based on sunlight and rainfall. The local environment and changing seasons have effects on the native flora and fauna. Your settlers and other characters have their own personal social and physical needs that you’ll have to fulfil to keep them happy (or at least stop them from breaking and going insane!)

Procedural generation – Every map is randomly generated from an initial seed (a large number) so that no two maps will ever be the same – unless you choose to use the same seed! The art assets for the game have been created in such a way that they can be drawn by the game engine for near limitless variation in colour – so every tree, plant and character will have their own unique combination of colours and appearance.

Peaceful expansion – It’s an important design goal that it’s possible to play the entire game without getting into armed conflict with other factions (if you choose to). Although weapons and combat can be significant parts of gameplay, we wanted to make sure you can peacefully build up a fully-functioning town to have the satisfaction of sitting back and watching your settlers go about their business in an “art farm” style of play.

Multiple ways to play – As well as different ways to build and grow your settlement (do you focus on mining? farming? crafting? buying and selling goods?), in King under the Mountain you can play as several different races and factions each with their own unique gameplay elements. You could build a dwarven fortress dug deep into the side of a mountain, a town of humans at an important river crossing, or a tribe of orcs hunting and raiding others. More than just different races to play as, we want to introduce completely new play styles as unusual factions – perhaps a lone wizard building their secret lair with golems they have constructed, an evil necromancer raising an army of the dead, a dragon amassing a hoard of gold in a giant cave system, or even an invasion of demons attacking the material world.

Player-driven content – Have you ever spent hours in a creative game building something, only for it to sit hidden away on your computer? In King under the Mountain, players can opt-in to automatically upload their settlements for other players to visit. This drives the basis of the adventure mode – you put together a party of champions from your settlement’s population, and go off on an adventure to explore another player’s creation. This mode will involve turn-based tactical combat as you explore and battle through another player’s fortress, claiming rare resources that may be difficult or impossible to acquire otherwise. It’s important to note that nothing will be lost by either player in this encounter – you don’t actually “attack” the other player, only a copy of their settlement, and there are benefits to be gained by both parties.

Mod friendly engine – Another big design goal is that everything you see or read in the game (and the variables behind them) are fully open to modification. In fact, the base game is built as an engine with one base mod applied to it (which modders can look at to see how things work).

KernelZee fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sooooooo... uh... Dwarf Fortress with basic graphics? And they didn't even bother to use a different race?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

curious if they realize that dwarf fortress is getting a steam release with an updated UI and tilepack made by people working with the developers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It was kickstarted literally years ago, I remember seeing that KS and deciding not to back it for some reason.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Johnny Joestar posted:

curious if they realize that dwarf fortress is getting a steam release with an updated UI and tilepack made by people working with the developers

I mean there could be literally time for this to release, sell a million copies, and be fully forgotten by everyone before that happens.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1463885200425816070

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
really stretching the definition of "fresh" here...

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInWXVtSyT8

Exo One is a bit cool but a bit short. It's on Gamepass if you want to try it for free.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 26, 2021

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Len's Island started into EA

looks like a chill crafting/adventure game

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256855712/movie_max_vp9.webm?t=1634169081

reviews say it might be a bit too early currently though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1779200/Thrive/

Early access, five dollars

quote:

An evolution simulation game. Take control of your species in the environment and edit your species as a whole. Compete with other evolving species for resources on an alien planet.

quote:

The major goals of Thrive are to create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players’ intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory without compromising the former. Thrive is an open-source project, and anyone with game development skill is welcome to join our team. The game uses the open-source Godot engine with the C# programming language.

If you don't have game development skills, you are still welcome to join our fan community. We would love to have you along for the long ride!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

They also have a website where you can download the game (and source code) for free, and donate via Patreon. The website says they also sometimes accept direct one-time donations, but because the organization is based in Finland, there is some law about how you are allowed to accept donations and they currently are not running that kind of donation campaign.

https://revolutionarygamesstudio.com/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is this more like the first game (simple but fun) or the second game (a painfully tedious grindfest)? I never expected to have strong opinions about hidden image games masquerading as RPGS, but here we are.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

LLSix posted:

Is this more like the first game (simple but fun) or the second game (a painfully tedious grindfest)? I never expected to have strong opinions about hidden image games masquerading as RPGS, but here we are.

Somewhere in between, I would say. It still has the painfully unfun combat mechanic, where you need an almost endless supply of various potions to make progress through large chunks or the game. But at no point did I feel the need to spend a bunch of time buying eggs, cooking omelets, and selling omelets for a 1 gold profit each time to advance. You do need to be wary of selling ingredients, because of the potion mechanic, and there were a few quests that are frustrating because what should be a vendor item is actually a drop/find item. Looking at you flour.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Me and my brother played the poo poo out of the demo for this when we were very little. I may bite on this.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
welp

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 30, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ymgve posted:

FIGHT KNIGHT is coming out today

You might want to read this before you consider buying (TW: sexual abuse, emotional abuse, gaslighting);

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/in-support-of-wren-the-abuse-she-endured-while-working-on-fight-knight

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jedit posted:

You might want to read this before you consider buying (TW: sexual abuse, emotional abuse, gaslighting);

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/in-support-of-wren-the-abuse-she-endured-while-working-on-fight-knight

Wow, that's horrible. Wonder if it's too late to get a Kickstarter refund...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ymgve posted:

Wow, that's horrible. Wonder if it's too late to get a Kickstarter refund...

At the very least sending them a message and demanding one can't hurt. What are they going to do, not give your money back?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1610470/MXGP_2021__The_Official_Motocross_Videogame/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256862693/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1638261763

I've played the previous game in this series and it was pretty decent, a fun time. Generally I still prefer the Supercross games because there's a bit more fun and intrigue with all the timing in the jumps, but this one is pretty fun too. This is from Milestone who make a bunch of AA racing titles.

quote:

All the power of Motocross in your hands: the new MXGP 2021 is finally here! The official MXGP videogame is ready to show you what it's made of: warm up your engines and get ready for the most realistic, exciting two-wheeled experience ever!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if it's a new game, but what's the game called that's like the internet on acid? I saw it once and there was all sorts of weird urls built in and I think the main gameplay was some kind of mystery?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm not sure if it's a new game, but what's the game called that's like the internet on acid? I saw it once and there was all sorts of weird urls built in and I think the main gameplay was some kind of mystery?

Hypnospace Outlaw?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's it. Googling for that was useless. Thanks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's a few other good ones, too that are kind of similar. Tetrageddon, Pony Island, Hacknet are all really good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1329790/Override_2_Super_Mech_League/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256815993/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1608656154

This game looks amazing in terms of graphics, and some people seem to really like it. But others are upset the the controls seem to have been dumbed down from the original. Which I didn't play

quote:

The gigantic robot brawler is Mech-ing a super-charged comeback in Override 2: Super Mech League!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bean and Nothingness

quote:

A difficult tile-based puzzle game about turning beans into monsters -- and monsters back into beans.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256844418/movie480_vp9.webm

15% launch discount for the next week.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh god no. I'm still struggling with Baba is You and Stephen's Sausage Roll--Hell, I still haven't even finished a DROD game yet, I can't get mixed up with another sokobanesque puzzle game oh whoops I bought it

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Johnny Joestar posted:

Imo such games tend to help each other by introducing more people to the "subgenre" and building a concept in people's mind of "the kind of game I like" (though obviously a bad egg can turn people off, in the same vein).

e.g. Song of Syx is another similar game in EA, and it seems to be doing very well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Maenad posted:

Imo such games tend to help each other by introducing more people to the "subgenre" and building a concept in people's mind of "the kind of game I like" (though obviously a bad egg can turn people off, in the same vein).

e.g. Song of Syx is another similar game in EA, and it seems to be doing very well.

Plus these games are complex in a way that makes it very hard to just throw man hours at them and come out with a good product. (If it were easy you'd see far less out of nowhere hits with 5 years plus of constant work from microdevs like Rimworld and far more AA studios pushing out very polished product, like card battler rogue-likes).

Then there's the decade+ headstart Dwarf Fortress has in implementing features.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Mechajammer just released. Looks sweet as hell, too bad I've spent my gaming budget already. Anyone getting this could share some opinions?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FIGHT KNIGHT

quote:

FIGHT KNIGHT is a first-person dungeon brawler! Grid-based dungeon crawling meets action-packed real time enemy encounters! Fight your way through puzzles and enemies to save those trapped in the Tower's eternal night. Will YOU master the Tower and those who wait within?
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256862902/movie480_vp9.webm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265820/Fights_in_Tight_Spaces/

quote:

A stylish blend of deck-building, turn-based tactics, and thrilling animated fight sequences in classic action-movie settings. Learn to balance your hand, momentum, and positioning to overcome the odds to defeat your adversaries. Build your deck, control the space and live to fight another day.

quote:

We are delighted to present the full launch of Fights in Tight Spaces. With a new selectable player character, a completely revised final mission, and a host of changes, fixes, and improvements. Plus full localisation support in a range of languages

This isn't the end of the journey, we'll be here to support the game as it goes forwards, and we'd love it if you could be part of that conversation, so join the Discord community and less us know what you'd like to see next. If you've been part of the Early Access launch, we wouldn't be here without you. And if you're new to the game... Good luck, Agent!

Important info for Early Access players
If you have previously played the game, much of your progress has been tracked, and some achievements will unlock immediately. If you want to avoid this, and earn the achievements afresh, you can reset your progress and stats from the Options Screen before beginning a new game

If you load an old save game (prior to v1.0) you may experience strange behaviour in-game, and/or not see any new content. We recommend that you start a New Game from the main menu

New Features
New selectable player character
Entirely replaced final mission, including new levels, characters, and enemy abilities
New levels across the game for more variety
Improved visibility of hazard areas/kill zones and railings
Achievements implemented across all platforms
Full in-game localisation in French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

grate deceiver posted:

Mechajammer just released. Looks sweet as hell, too bad I've spent my gaming budget already. Anyone getting this could share some opinions?
I played the demo and it was a weird mix of awesome atmosphere, great pixel art and deep turn-based combat while having some of the most tedious ideas for every action like making your character jump requiring 3 separate steps etc. It seems like a game that will have you slog through a single dungeon for hours or something. It looks very nice though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ9hvISDfPo

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Has anyone done a few runs of this? I liked the demo but there's so many deck builder roguelikes

edit: found some impressions in the roguelike thread

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 3, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fights in Tight Spaces has a free prologue.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played through the tutorial for Mechajammer and died like four times before finishing it lol. Surprisingly though the final obstacle course I cleared first try.

It's basically a mix of real time and turn based where the enemies move when you do so it's kind of live, kind of not.

I couldn't figure out why the gently caress none of my shots even from point blank wanted to hit anything. Just bad RNG or was I doing something wrong? Ended up just braining most enemies with the wrench which seemed pretty reliable and did more damage besides. Other than that there were some cool things there and it does look very nice although I can see myself getting a bit bored of the palette.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Has anyone done a few runs of this? I liked the demo but there's so many deck builder roguelikes

edit: found some impressions in the roguelike thread

I played it during early access about 7 months ago. It was decent fun, though a bit on the harder side compared to other deckbuilers I've played and have managed to beat but never managed to beat this one before eventually moving on to other games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Medieval Medic posted:

I played it during early access about 7 months ago. It was decent fun, though a bit on the harder side compared to other deckbuilers I've played and have managed to beat but never managed to beat this one before eventually moving on to other games.

There's a new difficulty mode that adds undos / restart level buttons and it's really satisfying now!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296360/Archvale/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256861740/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1638464699

Archvale looks like a cool pixel bullet hell action game in a similar vein as enter the gungeon or nuclear throne although not a roguelike but an RPG from what I understand.

quote:

Take up your weapon in this RPG bullet-hell world and embark on a journey to right wrongs from long ago. Only you can defeat the evil forces of the Undying guardians and reunite the world with the fabled Archvale.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/solar-ash

Not sure what to think about Solar Ash. I'm interested though. Unfortunately looks to only be on Epic.

quote:

From the creators of the award-winning Hyper Light Drifter comes the high-speed and gravity-bending world of Solar Ash. Play as Rei, a Voidrunner determined to stop at nothing to save her planet from falling prey to the Ultravoid’s path of eternal hunger.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Archvale is a really solidly done top down shooter. Nuclear Throne RPG is probably how i'd classify it, though it's a little more bullet hell than the speed of Nuclear Throne. Also on Gamepass.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Archvale is...not a roguelike

Edit: this was answered. Leaving this here for my shame to hang out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Chorus looks like an arcadey, story-driven space shooter.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256798904/movie_max_vp9.webm?t=1598612619