Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone see this yet?

Eric and Chris are the only survivors of that horrible boat accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
People were (for some reason) wondering why anyone would download episodes so figured I'd weigh in

- The older archived Google Drive episodes always freeze part way thru (usually multiple times) if you stream them
- There ARE times when you have no internet, a lovely phone connection or might work in a place that locks you out of their wifi and may be on a plan with limited data usage if you're trying to save money (like me) so being able to cue up some episodes can save your sanity, depending on what kind of job you have.
- If you live in parts of middle america, believe it or not, high speed internet can still be extremely sketchy and unreliable.

Just sayin

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

People were (for some reason) wondering why anyone would download episodes so figured I'd weigh in

- The older archived Google Drive episodes always freeze part way thru (usually multiple times) if you stream them
- There ARE times when you have no internet, a lovely phone connection or might work in a place that locks you out of their wifi and may be on a plan with limited data usage if you're trying to save money (like me) so being able to cue up some episodes can save your sanity, depending on what kind of job you have.
- If you live in parts of middle america, believe it or not, high speed internet can still be extremely sketchy and unreliable.

Just sayin

I'm the dude who has downloaded the entire archive, including the lost first episode and the "one time only" live episodes. It's just easier to toss it on a USB drive and stick it on the car with some older stuff. Also came in handy for binging A Side Order of Sleaze on my way to the Charlotte and Asheville shows.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

No worries. Just seemed like a weird thing for someone to wonder "why would anyone EVER?" and I was right there with you.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
gonna take the piss pants challenge later tonight

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Love that return of Divorced Dad. :allears:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Seemed like they had to snip at the audience a couple times on this one. I feel like they used to be a little more open to rogue call outs from the audience, was it starting to get out of hand? Idk. Feels weird to hear it, but it's probably for the best that they don't let the audience jeer and/or take over control.

I feel like over time I see every pod grow to almost resent their audience because inevitably the fans get too weird about everything. Like Last Podcast shut down or pulled their direct presence a couple official social media outlets because the fans kept being annoying/creepy. I know in Blank Check there's a lot of deliberate attempt to hide info on David's family, which I also cannot blame.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 1, 2021

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
Didn't they mention recently that a "fan" got into the green room at a live show recently and refused to leave? I don't remember the exact episode it was brought up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That was a green room or two ago with the fan who snuck in backstage and hung around their literal green room and refused to leave.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

dorium posted:

That was a green room or two ago with the fan who snuck in backstage and hung around their literal green room and refused to leave.

Did they mention what show it was? I ask because I have a crazy, unlikely, but not THAT-unlikely idea that it may be someone I know

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Did they mention what show it was? I ask because I have a crazy, unlikely, but not THAT-unlikely idea that it may be someone I know

I think if you find the episode you could find the date and match it up to whatever previous show was right before that green room.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

dorium posted:

I think if you find the episode you could find the date and match it up to whatever previous show was right before that green room.

ahahaha oh my god "vanishingly unlikely" just got upgraded to "unlikely?"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Fans ruin everything.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

And yet. No fans, no show.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
fans blow

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like if you’re at a live show that doesn’t explicitly have audience participation, don’t do it?? Is this something not known to others??

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

teen witch posted:

I feel like if you’re at a live show that doesn’t explicitly have audience participation, don’t do it?? Is this something not known to others??

I have (had) a friend who was one of those people that needed to be a part of the show. the more excited he was for the show the more outlandish he'd get with NEEDING to get on stage. Just the worst.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

teen witch posted:

you want to be invited on stage where your internet friends will think you're so cool and then everyone will stand up and clap

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t like their live shows as much, they’re so short and they don’t riff on each other as much.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I very rarely like live shows on podcasts. So much of the format’s appeal is just getting to hear some friends hanging out, which is hard to replicate when you turn it into a performance on stage.

Not that there’s anything wrong with it, of course - it’s a ton of fun for the people who actually bought tickets, and it’s a good way to actually make some money. But I almost always skip them at home

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea they just dont have the same energy you want from an episode. It's why I really want them to revisit some of these live shows they've done years ago in the "studio". Maximum Overdrive deserves a proper episode godammoot!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The big thing that kills a lot of them for me is the forced runtime, 60 minute eps feel rushed. I liked this Taken one, it had room to let bits breathe.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah live shows are almost always the worst on any podcast. It’s what made How Did This Get Made go from progressively getting worse to outright insufferable. That said I’m going to The Bell House so I hope they get more than an hour to bebop and scat all over the place.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like most of the live shows :shrug: I just like these guys' sense of humor in general and find them sharp.

Audience feedback can add an element that them laughing at each other's jokes can't always do

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Andrew doth protest a bit too much that he hates Chairman of the Bored considering he stops every two minutes to explain a bit of the movie that made him laugh

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Funny enough, the only podcast that I enjoy live episodes more than regular episodes is a podcast which I don't really care for and only listen to when everything else is played: HDTGM.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Andrew doth protest a bit too much that he hates Chairman of the Bored considering he stops every two minutes to explain a bit of the movie that made him laugh

All four of them did this for the Simpsons movie to a ridiculous extent

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

All four of them did this for the Simpsons movie to a ridiculous extent

Yeah, the other two nerds also made sure to point out how every scene they discuss actually made them laugh but man did the Simpsons movie suck

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 4, 2021

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Funny enough, the only podcast that I enjoy live episodes more than regular episodes is a podcast which I don't really care for and only listen to when everything else is played: HDTGM.

This makes sense to me since they’re performers with backgrounds in improv on stage, etc. As opposed to the boys who are most comfortable at home with some beers watching Jackass

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Calaveron posted:

I watched a bit of Chairman of the Board and I think part of the problem is that when you think back to it you can process the funny bits, but also you have to look at Carrot Top's face when you're actually watching the movie.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Limp Bizkit, mothafucka!

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1467135090241249295?t=Z61jd-vO4Mkg7IBSKLMtBg&s=19

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really hope it’s Significant Other. I will stand by that album as I think it’s fully stood mostly the test of time. Still very entertaining and goofy in it’s pre-9/11 bombacity.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They don't really have another one worth talking about.

You're not gonna get more than 15 minutes out of a bad cover of Faith or a bad cover of the Mission Impossible theme.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

You don't want to hear then do Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water? It's got the gently caress song!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'd be more interested in them analyzing something by, say, The Bloodhound Gang.

Eric Szyszka's opinions on Fire Water Burn are something I need.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1467552840008798209?t=qJZyEw6qWOLku6Stl_9YIg&s=19

:getin:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

:getoverhere:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

December

Episode 581 — Casablanca

Episode 582 — Spider-Man (2002)

Episode 583 — Home Alone

Episode 584 — The Matrix*

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Alien (1979)

Animation Damnation — Toy Story

The Nexus: Star Trek: Generations

Gleep Glossary: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Q4 Synchable Commentary: American Movie

Melr0210: 90210: "Ashes to Ashes" (s2, e9) Melrose Place: "Pas de Trois" (s1, e29)

*Going back to where it all began—The Matrix!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can't wait for Generations :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Super psyched for Alien. It gives me an easy excuse to watch it again!