Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about the Drow isn't even so much 'aged poorly' as 'only got away with it in the first place because it's in incredibly niche media by and for complete dorklords who read too many pulpy fantasy novels'.

The drow by and large are fine. It’s just RA Salvatore smashing pop culture takes on the Mafia and femdom together to flesh out a city for Drizzt to come from.

The two things that get criticism are a) they all have black skin (which wasn’t D&D’s problem in the first place, since the drow are the dark elves of Norse mythology originally) and b) “all drow are innately evil” which was never a problem for 20 years of publishing the drow until the ghastly loving Lady Penitent trilogy (basically you can un-evil drow babies in the womb and wow they have white skin when you do that) and was made worse by 5e loving with the lore of the drow’s origin (by making the evil of the drow a curse upon the race itself, instead of the previous portrayals of the drow being evil by cultural pressures that existed prior to the drow becoming cursed).

You can argue drow with black skin aged poorly because fantasy evil races with all black skin are certainly a political flashpoint today, sure, but it wasn’t really a “got away with it” as there wasn’t anything to object to for decades (with the exception of white nerds doing bad drow blackface at cons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arivia posted:

The drow by and large are fine. It’s just RA Salvatore smashing pop culture takes on the Mafia and femdom together to flesh out a city for Drizzt to come from.

The two things that get criticism are a) they all have black skin (which wasn’t D&D’s problem in the first place, since the drow are the dark elves of Norse mythology originally) and b) “all drow are innately evil” which was never a problem for 20 years of publishing the drow until the ghastly loving Lady Penitent trilogy (basically you can un-evil drow babies in the womb and wow they have white skin when you do that) and was made worse by 5e loving with the lore of the drow’s origin (by making the evil of the drow a curse upon the race itself, instead of the previous portrayals of the drow being evil by cultural pressures that existed prior to the drow becoming cursed).

You can argue drow with black skin aged poorly because fantasy evil races with all black skin are certainly a political flashpoint today, sure, but it wasn’t really a “got away with it” as there wasn’t anything to object to for decades (with the exception of white nerds doing bad drow blackface at cons).
:justpost:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

a) they all have black skin (which wasn’t D&D’s problem in the first place, since the drow are the dark elves of Norse mythology originally)

Which of course absolves them completely!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Which of course absolves them completely!

It certainly puts it squarely in the category of “this is black because of darkness” not “this is black because of Black people”, yes. So unless there’s some criticism of D&D’s portrayal of drow over the past decades that directly ties it to Blackness or media portrayals of Black people (and I’m not aware of one), there’s no connection there.

As I already said, fantasy races that are black-skinned haven’t aged well and aren’t politically acceptable today, but that doesn’t mean Gygax or Salvatore were being racist towards Black people when they wrote about the drow decades ago.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

It certainly puts it squarely in the category of “this is black because of darkness” not “this is black because of Black people”, yes. So unless there’s some criticism of D&D’s portrayal of drow over the past decades that directly ties it to Blackness or media portrayals of Black people (and I’m not aware of one), there’s no connection there.

As I already said, fantasy races that are black-skinned haven’t aged well and aren’t politically acceptable today, but that doesn’t mean Gygax or Salvatore were being racist towards Black people when they wrote about the drow decades ago.

Do you think black people loving care precisely why the evil dark-skinned people are dark skinned?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Do you think black people loving care precisely why the evil dark-skinned people are dark skinned?

The human fear of the dark and shadowy creatures lurking within it predates language and civilization. Since we learned to tell stories humans have always told myths of scary things in places we can’t see. That is the Norse dark elf, and following from that, D&D’s drow. (And humans still tell stories about spooky things in the dark today.)

Do I think Black people are unjustified in being upset with drow in D&D today, especially considering the last 15 years of publishing I summarized? No. But there’s nothing in the essential nature of the drow as originally established to suggest it’s some racial stereotype or idea, and this thread’s explicit purpose is for making and discussing those distinctions.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Eh, do you have any evidence that the Norse drow weren't related to the perception of black people among the Norse? The Norse were famously well traveled. There's also podcast of medieval literature professors (Saga Thing) that discussed a minor black character showing up and (I think, been a bit since I listened) that he was part of an uncommon but present trope in the sagas of magical black men.

I'm not confident it is or isn't, but you're pretty hard on that conclusion that it isn't without a great premise to base that on.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
What do the Drow think of Black Friday?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Declaring that an entire sentient race is always evil already puts you in bad territory even before you consider any other additional variables.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Arivia posted:

Gary Gygax posted:

Chivington might have been quoted as saying "nits make lice," but he is certainly not the first one to make such an observation as it is an observable fact. If you have read the account of wooden Leg, a warrior of the Cheyenne tribe that fought against Custer et al., he dispassionately noted killing an enemy squaw for the reason in question.

I am not going to waste my time and yours debating ethics and philosophy. I will state unequivocally that in the alignment system as presented in OAD&D, an eye for an eye is lawful and just, Lawful Good, as misconduct is to be punished under just laws.

Now, why would someone assume Gygax's work would be tainted by racism?!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Did the Drow also get their dark skin from their curse, or is that just a thing for the Elder Scrolls dark elves?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Moonlight posted:

What do the Drow think of Black Friday?

Oh no its in a second thread now

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Acute Grill posted:

Declaring that an entire sentient race is always evil already puts you in bad territory even before you consider any other additional variables.
This. Especially when you add in the fact that most "always evil" races tend to present physiological characteristics that are associated with non-white people in the real world, be it skin color or facial features. Famously, Tolkien himself talked about orcs as:

quote:

squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes: in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.
NOTE: it is commonly accepted that Tolkien was not, in fact, racist - based on most of his takes on real life events and his absolute rejection of Nazi racial theories. That said, a good chunk of modern fantasy (including most of D&D) is a direct descendant from his works, so it's easy to see how this could lead to problems down the line. Especially cause other classical fantasy authors were deeply racist instead.

D&D is moving away from "evil races" in the foreseable future, apparently: https://www.pcgamer.com/dandd-is-trying-to-move-away-from-racial-stereotypes/

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PharmerBoy posted:

There's also podcast of medieval literature professors (Saga Thing) that discussed a minor black character showing up and (I think, been a bit since I listened) that he was part of an uncommon but present trope in the sagas of magical black men.

Oh thats interesting ive never heard of this trope. Do you remember the name of the podcast? E: oh nvm Saga thing was the name.

The only black viking i remember reading about was geirmundur heljarskinn. He was half asian (his mother was mongolian) but he was called black because he had darker skin than usual and black hair.

But Vikings did travel to and work in muslim countries so stories about black africans most likely made their way to scandinavia. And they also took slaves to do trell work, so there is the possibility of some being black africans.

datajugend has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Dec 4, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Are we forgetting totally historically accurate documentary The 13th Warrior?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

That Italian Guy posted:

Are we forgetting totally historically accurate documentary The 13th Warrior?

Oh yeah thats true, that movie is partially based on an arab man who travelled to scandinavia. A darker skinned man from a world that was ahead in science and technology could be a magic black man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget that the Byzantines traditionally had Viking bodyguards.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Known as "the emperor's wine bags" because of their habit of heavy drinking.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao, i love how the " can color metaphors be racist" discussion wound up in here organically. goons in pyf very much do not like the idea that color metaphors can be interpreted in clearly problematic ways and will reiterate over and over that the history of its use makes such a thing impossible. imagine a white english teacher explaining to their black class in exasperation where the word niggardly actually comes from, thats kind of the level of discourse where this is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDa0gSuAcg

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Dec 4, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know the "viking graffiti at the hagia sofia" is kind a cliche cool-history-fact, but I really like how it completely breaks people's pre-conceptions about how isolated people were in Ye Olden Times. It's all too easy to think of history as a bunch of discrete peoples and events that never interacted at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao, i love how the " can color metaphors be racist" discussion wound up in here organically. goons in pyf very much do not like the idea that color metaphors can be interpreted in clearly problematic ways and will reiterate over and over that the history of its use makes such a thing impossible. imagine a white english teacher explaining to their black class in exasperation where the word niggardly actually comes from, thats kind of the level of discourse where this is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDa0gSuAcg

look what you've done now, you've summoned this one

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Drow Piet is a beloved Christmas tradition!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also dont feel like 'black' fantasy variants were at first created with racist intentions.. Its just that mindset of "black looks cool and evil. And if it works for a dragon, why not a humanoid as well?".
(Granted, I think D&D is also moving away from always evil Black Dragons)

For a more problematic fantasy, I can already look at my own country's proud tradition of Zwarte Piet/Black Pete. What fun.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Sanctimoniously capitalizing Black as I expound upon why this racist caricature is different because I like it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drow are really funny when you just remember that they only exist because the writer was so angry at His Freakin Ex-Wife

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I haven't seen a drow elf racism argument on this site in drat near 10 years.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Alaois posted:

drow are really funny when you just remember that they only exist because the writer was so angry at His Freakin Ex-Wife

Wait, what? I need to know more on that one

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I haven't seen a drow elf racism argument on this site in drat near 10 years.

Better milk it for what it's worth, then!

The Drow are canonically much shorter than other types of elves, which means they're actually a racist caricature of Italians, a squat and swarthy people. Salvatore's editor famously forced him to completely remove Drizzt's catchphrase "Mama mia!" and it's just another example of SJWs censoring a true visionary

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm reminded (in a good way) of the parts in Ben Aaronovich's Rivers of London where the protagonist has to occasionally tell his (well intentioned but much older) magic teacher not to call it "black magic".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeafNote posted:

I also dont feel like 'black' fantasy variants were at first created with racist intentions.. Its just that mindset of "black looks cool and evil. And if it works for a dragon, why not a humanoid as well?".
(Granted, I think D&D is also moving away from always evil Black Dragons)

For a more problematic fantasy, I can already look at my own country's proud tradition of Zwarte Piet/Black Pete. What fun.

Isn't that largely what racism means? A prejudice that becomes so ingrained its systemic? Like you can easily use 'black' as shorthand to tell someone that something is evil.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't that largely what racism means? A prejudice that becomes so ingrained its systemic? Like you can easily use 'black' as shorthand to tell someone that something is evil.

I could just be naïve here I suppose but I dont think 'darkness' as an evil concept started that way but more as an embodiment of the night and the unknown and all that stuff.
I dont deny that prejudices became a part of it along the way and that its just ingrained in many people now without them realizing it.

docbeard posted:

I'm reminded (in a good way) of the parts in Ben Aaronovich's Rivers of London where the protagonist has to occasionally tell his (well intentioned but much older) magic teacher not to call it "black magic".

That just reminds me that Black Magician became Dark Magician in the translated version of YGO.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
I've often liked the drow/dark elf equivalents in media that was clearly inspired by D&D, so it's always weird when I try to follow back to the origin and see ooooooooh god-level Weird Racism. For some reason a lot of that gets shed when other people try things!

Final Fantasy XIV has my favorite attempt at them right now, although the developers admittedly barely touch their story. FFXIV dark elves are essentially just indigenous people who've been displaced and screwed out of their homeland (with a little bit of pre-20th Century Jews being readable into it too); there is a really cool ancestral cave-city, but they haven't been able to live in it for centuries.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Scandinavians were racist because everyone was. Not in the modern sense of white versus black but in the classical sense in that you were extremely racist against everyone that wasn’t your people.

Like how the English were extremely racist against the Flemish. A concept that would be extremely confusing to a modern audience

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DeafNote posted:

I could just be naïve here I suppose but I dont think 'darkness' as an evil concept started that way but more as an embodiment of the night and the unknown and all that stuff.
I dont deny that prejudices became a part of it along the way and that its just ingrained in many people now without them realizing it.

That just reminds me that Black Magician became Dark Magician in the translated version of YGO.

No, you're not just being naive: darkness as a concept of evil does indeed predate modern conception of race. Even the ancient Egyptians associated the two.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Dec 4, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PharmerBoy posted:

Eh, do you have any evidence that the Norse drow weren't related to the perception of black people among the Norse? The Norse were famously well traveled. There's also podcast of medieval literature professors (Saga Thing) that discussed a minor black character showing up and (I think, been a bit since I listened) that he was part of an uncommon but present trope in the sagas of magical black men.

I'm not confident it is or isn't, but you're pretty hard on that conclusion that it isn't without a great premise to base that on.

I might be wrong and I’m willing to admit that. My understanding of Norse dark elves is that they’re explicitly black due to living underground and working in forges.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

christmas boots posted:

No, you're not just being naive: darkness as a concept of evil does indeed predate modern conception of race. Even the ancient Egyptians associated the two.

Yep there wasn’t a group of people that Egypt had a very fraught relationship with who were black

An extremely fraught relationship

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I'm not sure y'all, I just don't think something that a bunch of mostly white young male wargaming turbonerds writing a fantasy world based off of a hodgepodge of misinterpreted myths and pop history might have made something racist. It's not like they still use the discontinued "Oriental Adventures" template to explain how to make your own unique fantasy world or anything

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

datajugend posted:

The only black viking i remember reading about was geirmundur heljarskinn. He was half asian (his mother was mongolian)

His name means Spearwielder Deathskin (or Hell Skin if you prefer)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PharmerBoy posted:

Wait, what? I need to know more on that one

ra salvatore was getting divorced when he wrote the drizzt books so he made the drow society a man hating matriarchy that worships spiders and does freaky bondage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shwoo posted:

Did the Drow also get their dark skin from their curse, or is that just a thing for the Elder Scrolls dark elves?

That’s the lovely thing I mentioned. For years the D&D lore was that the drow were originally dark elves who were only different from other elves by skin tone (black or purple as opposed to other elves being gray, gold, brown or white to name a few.) Then the dark elves committed horrible war crimes and were cursed by the elven gods with becoming drow, most notably the light blindness that drove them underground.

But in the mid 2000s you get a trilogy of novels that ends up with an uncursed dark elf baby…with white skin. Then becoming an uncursed white skin drow was a game mechanic in 4e D&D.

When 5e rewrote elven myth and history it said that the curse placed on the dark elves changed their skin colour. So D&D has ended up in this place where having black skin on drow is a curse and a sign of how evil they are, despite that not being the case in D&D for the first 20 years of popular products about the drow.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Dec 4, 2021