Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Azhais posted:

It's because so far they've removed everything related to his story from the show.

It always amazes me how TV watches on here will happily tell us they are bad at watching TV or don’t get basic storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Joey is a bad improviser who calls himself an actor and constantly fails at commercial auditions. Monica would still be a chef, but for sure covered in tats and eventually has a very special episode about coke and/or alcoholism. Phoebe is definitely a crystal astrology girl on Instagram.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that this isn't in active development.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Chandler would be a cryptobro and there would be a subplot about him having to switch from a nicotine vape to a weed vape. "Could I be any more stoned?"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My buddy got a subscription to Rakuten Viki for his Korean wife and gave me the login so I now have access to vast amounts Korean shows to watch :q:

I have so far watched one: The Tunnel, a time travel detective one that he recommended, and I liked it a lot. He recommended a few others and I think I'm going to start with "Voice"

I notice there's a lot of movies on here too, including several I have seen already that are good (Memoir of a Murderer, The Man From Nowhere, The Wailing).

Interested in hearing if anyone has any other kdrama recommendations, thriller/mystery particularly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1203568-live-action-mega-man-movie-netflix

What

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sonic and Pokemon movies made bank. And they already smell the Mario movie success.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, now I'm really hoping that Netflix greenlight part three of Masters of the Universe: Revelations

Part 2 was soooo good.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I assume he’ll be played by Tom Holland.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Aardvark! posted:

My buddy got a subscription to Rakuten Viki for his Korean wife and gave me the login so I now have access to vast amounts Korean shows to watch :q:

I have so far watched one: The Tunnel, a time travel detective one that he recommended, and I liked it a lot. He recommended a few others and I think I'm going to start with "Voice"

I notice there's a lot of movies on here too, including several I have seen already that are good (Memoir of a Murderer, The Man From Nowhere, The Wailing).

Interested in hearing if anyone has any other kdrama recommendations, thriller/mystery particularly

It's been so long but I think Joseon X-Files might be okay.

IRIS is an old spy series but it has a lot of top actors/actresses and high production values.

Miss Baek has some tough subject matter but it's also a movie that's really good.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 5, 2021

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

Joey is a bad improviser who calls himself an actor and constantly fails at commercial auditions. Monica would still be a chef, but for sure covered in tats and eventually has a very special episode about coke and/or alcoholism. Phoebe is definitely a crystal astrology girl on Instagram.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that this isn't in active development.

Monica would be Claire Saffritz, a serious try hard with an inexplicable charm who would get fired from a National Magazine's youtube venture for moral reasons only to become more successful on her own. Ross would be a loving paleontologist and suck it up that nobody cared because yay dinosaurs. Chandler would be mid to upper management in a dying company; like how the libertarian asshat who bought out SEARS made all the management compete against each other to the benefit of himself as the company went down the shitter. Joey would be scrambling to hold onto his soap opera job because his twitter/instagram audience is like 30% anti-vaxxer and he really needs that extra whatever from being an 'influencer' bring to keep up rent in a greenwich village apartment. Rachel would be given the waitress job much longer ala Kaley Cuoco in big bang theory; but once they find something that made sense for her they'd immediately raze the coffee shop set and we'd never see it again. Phoebe would still just be a hippy bouncing around from job to job filling in the lean parts with her massage license; or maybe she'd go full onlyfans but all her onlyfans videos would be of her cooking vegan meals because she doesn't trust youtube.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lol at affording rent in Greenwich Village like that. Not that the show is any better cause they’re right next to the drat park.

Also it always bothered me that Ross is a paleontologist at NYU when NYU doesn’t have any such department.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also it always bothered me that Ross is a paleontologist at NYU when NYU doesn’t have any such department.

I mean, unless you're at a museum, a paleontologist is offsite brushing dust off bones so he just present way more than he should be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lol at affording rent in Greenwich Village like that. Not that the show is any better cause they’re right next to the drat park.

Isn't part of the show's gimmick that their building is rent-controlled?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC they were subletting from someone's relative which was under rent control.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC they were subletting from someone's relative which was under rent control.

Yeah, it was Ross and Monica's grandmother's place

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

It's been so long but I think Joseon X-Files might be okay.

I remember hearing this was good back when it came out, but never actually watched it so I can't confirm. But I always wanted to give it a shot.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a friend whose PhD is in the history of science who was writing an article on what exactly Ross's specialization is, but I think that the pandemic derailed that project for her.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I see they’re doing another set it Live in Front of a Studio Audience, ‘Facts of Life’ and ‘Diffrent Strokes’ and with the latter they’ve finally done one I watched rather than just know of.

Do ALF next, cowards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The actual episodes are kind of "eh" but I really like the cast of the live action Cowboy Bebop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm enjoying Cowboy Bebop. I've never seen the original, but the live action one is fun enough.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is the original Carl Sagan Cosmos available to stream anywhere? I know it used to be on Netflix years ago, but it seems like it's completely vanished from anywhere online. Which seems strange for something that was on PBS so (I imagine) isn't part of the whole studio-centric streaming service gobble-up of the last few years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it disappeared when that NDT one came out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cojawfee posted:

I think it disappeared when that NDT one came out.
Ugh, what a shame. Glad to have my original DVDs.
I was big into NDT until over the years he became a total rear end on Twitter and the creepy poo poo he did around women came out. Now I can't stand him and refused to watch the second season of the reboot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It sucks because the Carl Sagan one is real good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamuelAAdams/status/1467868947068379140

quote:

When I asked Strong about the rap that Kendall performs in Season 2, at a gala for his father—a top contender for Kendall’s most cringeworthy moment—he gave an unsmiling answer about Raskolnikov, referencing Kendall’s “monstrous pain.” Kieran Culkin told me, “After the first season, he said something to me like, ‘I’m worried that people might think that the show is a comedy.’ And I said, ‘I think the show is a comedy.’ He thought I was kidding.” Part of the appeal of “Succession” is its amalgam of drama and bone-dry satire. When I told Strong that I, too, thought of the show as a dark comedy, he looked at me with incomprehension and asked, “In the sense that, like, Chekhov is comedy?” No, I said, in the sense that it’s funny. “That’s exactly why we cast Jeremy in that role,” McKay told me. “Because he’s not playing it like a comedy. He’s playing it like he’s Hamlet.”

"In the sense that like Chekov is comedy?" is such a Kendall-rear end line that I can only applaud the casting decision.

quote:

When I asked Brian Cox, who plays Logan, the patriarch, to describe Strong’s process, he struck a note of fatherly concern. “The result that Jeremy gets is always pretty tremendous,” he said. “I just worry about what he does to himself. I worry about the crises he puts himself through in order to prepare.” Cox, a classically trained British stage actor, has a “turn it on, turn it off” approach to acting, and his relationship with Strong recalls a famous story about Laurence Olivier working with Dustin Hoffman on the 1976 film “Marathon Man.” On learning that Hoffman had stayed up partying for three nights before a scene in which he had to appear sleep-deprived, Olivier said, “My dear boy, why don’t you try acting?” Cox told me, “Actors are funny creatures. I’ve worked with intense actors before. It’s a particularly American disease, I think, this inability to separate yourself off while you’re doing the job.”

Also you get the sense that everyone on set thinks he's full of poo poo.

quote:

Ad-libbing is permitted on “Succession,” but Strong’s improvisations often strike his co-stars as prepared speeches. Culkin recalled a scene from Season 1, with the two of them and Sarah Snook, who plays their sister, Shiv. The family is in New Mexico for group therapy, and Kendall, a recovering addict, goes on a bender. (Strong occasionally gets tipsy for scenes in which Kendall falls off the wagon.)

“He kept doing this speech that he had sort of written,” Culkin said. “All I remember is him saying ‘rootin’-tootin’ ’ a lot. By the third take, he starts that speech again, and Snook looks at him, as Shiv, and goes, ‘Shut. Up. Kendall.’ ”

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 6, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQprq0-55SA

New MacGruber trailer

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

What’s the most overrated popular show currently on TV? My vote is succession.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's Arcane. I think arcane is very, very good. But it's developing a performatively competitive fandom like it's a Kpop group ft. Beyonce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jllmfRcol0c

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LionArcher posted:

What’s the most overrated popular show currently on TV? My vote is succession.

It’s a bit of a pointless conversation since it’s always kinda lame to make fun of people for genuinely liking something, and all internet fandoms have their share of obnoxious posters anyway.

But I guess I would say The Great. It’s a decent show, but way too snarky and cute for its own good. It could stand to, I dunno, take itself a bit more seriously, I feel. The juxtaposition of wacky royal antics with actual awful poo poo happening occasionally is just awkward, and has been done better by the likes of Armando Iannucci (the whole thing honestly reminds me of a worse take on a concept like Death of Stalin). Plus, the whole “*occasionally a true story teehee” thing rubs me the wrong way.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they both seem like shows about rich people where the rich people aren't constantly suffering for their immoral (and trivially resolvable) state of existence. I'll watch a show like that when it's just taking real life billionaires and dropping them down a skyscraper-sized plinko board.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://twitter.com/mikeobrienxoxo/status/1467933272260841474?s=21

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Is there a PEN15 thread? I just finished the last season and wanna cringe with other jr high nobodies 😂

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
TV Critic Choice Award noms

http://criticschoice.com/2021/12/television-nominations-announced-for-the-27th-annual-critics-choice-awards/

Here’s drama

Evil

For All Mankind

The Good Fight

Pose

Squid Game

Succession

This Is Us

Yellowjackets

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

This Is Us still exists?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a real shame, it had really found itself on Peacock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Truspeaker posted:

This Is Us still exists?!

It is ending.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There goes any reason I had to subscribe to peacock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

theblackw0lf posted:

TV Critic Choice Award noms

http://criticschoice.com/2021/12/television-nominations-announced-for-the-27th-annual-critics-choice-awards/

Here’s drama

Evil

For All Mankind

The Good Fight

Pose

Squid Game

Succession

This Is Us

Yellowjackets

For All Mankind 100%, but it’ll probably be This Is Us or The Good Fight because no one actually watches FAM outside of this forum.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
AP Bio seems like it would be a lot more accessible of a show than Always Sunny, but I reckon if Sunny had been on other networks it would never have made it as far as it did, or really, at all.

Peacock is already so die, makes me wonder what their plan even is at this point. Unless you really need to rewatch the Office on loop and the free eps aren't enough, hard to see what you'd go there for.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My vote is For All Mankind but my gut says it'll be Succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That second season of FAM was incredible, man