Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

bsd is for people who stopped using linux because it got too popular

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

macOS is closer to BSD than it is to Linux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why do i get the feeling this is a containment thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like NetBSD

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I dunno why I just think it's a cute lil OS

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

BSD Does like jails.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

carry on then posted:

it is, because nobody uses BSD at home anymore so there’s not gonna be much traffic.

all my computers are laptops and Linux is just kind of okay on them, stuff like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and battery life and graphics are too much for me to worry about. I’ll probably use Linux until the day I die and I will forever be resentful of a world that chose wrong.

Maximo Roboto posted:

macOS is closer to BSD than it is to Linux

with each new release it gets harder to say that. I felt like knowing freebsd made it easier to understand OS X in the mid 2000s, now I bet not really.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 4, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

who cares :justpost: about bsd

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

someone tell me why I should be using bsd instead of a mainstream os

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm not obligated to educate you

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

it is, because nobody uses BSD at home anymore

well actually the ps4 and 5...

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

akadajet posted:

someone tell me why I should be using bsd instead of a mainstream os

because you want to sell it and not reveal the source

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the GPL is a cancer

long live permissive licenses

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think BSD is pretty neat!!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kazinsal posted:

the GPL is a cancer

Gpl2 is very good actually

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I haven't touched netbsd in awhile. Time to put it on a raspberry pi 3 and see how it fares as a local clock server.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
posting in the opnsense thread

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I work at a place that only uses RHEL except we have one VM image used to convert one type of RHEL image into a 2nd type of RHEL image. For some reason this one image is BSD and I constantly have to troubleshoot it, and it's very annoying to me!!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
absolutely lmbo @ the thought of using bsd as a personal operation system

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i have a couple of BSD servers and it's nice using something that's not a total clown OS. the docs are good, things are generally easy to make sense of and configure, jails are easy, backups are easy, snapshots and rollbacks are easy...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

the GPL is a cancer

I, too, love licenses that allow multi-billion dollar companies to come in, take a huge piece of software for their own purposes, make piles of money off of the work of others and contribute nothing in the way of code or money back.

the freebsd foundation was in the red last year and this year are about $1 million short of their funding goal of $1250000. note that Sony and Netflix, two of their biggest users, haven't given them a dime. at some point not long ago, one of the lesser bsds (I forget if it was net or open) was so broke that they couldn't even afford to keep the lights on in their office

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol, bsd has an office? i thought it was just a collection of weirdos on the internet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The_Franz posted:

I, too, love licenses that allow multi-billion dollar companies to come in, take a huge piece of software for their own purposes, make piles of money off of the work of others and contribute nothing in the way of code or money back.

BSD people don't care about being the god emperor of their software that all derivatives bow down to. the purpose of releasing software under permissive licenses is so people can use it for its benefits to improve their own software. who gives a poo poo if it's Free (tm) or not. write correct software, release it so people can use it, and everyone else's software benefits

if you had to GPL anything that included openssh or libressl or libcrypto or the freebsd kernel we'd be twenty years behind the present on literally every router, switch, and server on the planet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
everybody who uses a modern Apple product is using BSD

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
all bs, no d

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i put freebsd on my laptop, its better than linux

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

BSD people don't care about being the god emperor of their software that all derivatives bow down to. the purpose of releasing software under permissive licenses is so people can use it for its benefits to improve their own software. who gives a poo poo if it's Free (tm) or not. write correct software, release it so people can use it, and everyone else's software benefits

if you had to GPL anything that included openssh or libressl or libcrypto or the freebsd kernel we'd be twenty years behind the present on literally every router, switch, and server on the planet

i'm fully in favor of permissive licenses on libraries. it's how you get standards adopted and even people integrating those libraries into closed projects are likely to kick bugfixes back upstream to avoid the hassle of living out of tree. i specifically don't like permissive licenses on large, complete software projects, because it lets others run off with a complete body of work that others put millions of man hours into while giving nothing back (again, sony ships tens of millions of devices running freebsd and their total contribution back to the project amounts to a couple of trivial patches 10 years ago. they could at least kick a few grand a year to the foundation if nothing else. that's petty cash for a company like that)

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 5, 2021

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
big sexy dong

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

cum jabbar posted:

i put freebsd on my laptop, its better than linux

best open sores os, fastest snail, etc

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Sweevo posted:

bsd is for people who stopped using linux because it got too popular

That was literally why I started using NetBSD. That was 15+ years ago at this point, on x86. I kept it up as a desktop system until ~2016.

I really liked that you could compile all your own packages with whatever compiler flags you wanted, and fairly easily do the same with your userland/kernel. I still think pkgsrc is kinda slick (and you can use it on other OSes if you're a glutton for punishment, I still have it running on an OS X 10.5 machine), but NetBSD's desktop video support was absolutely miserable. It was like trying to use Linux from 2004 in 2016, on a 2016 video card. I switched to Gentoo and never looked back.

I also used NetBSD for a little while on some esoteric hardware - SPARCstations and DECstations and old PPC Macs and even a VAX or two, and I guess it was kinda cool that you could do that, but I decided that wasn't hardcore enough for me and switched to running basically all OSes from the original timeframe on my machines. For example I have machines running SunOS 4, Solaris 2.5, Solaris 8, Solaris 9... you get the picture. And I roll all of my own software by hand because I really don't like myself or other people.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like using bsd if it's a realistic choice for the project. i mostly enjoy it because i find it subjectively more fun to work with

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

strtj posted:

I switched to Gentoo and never looked back.

I got a sensible chuckle out of this.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
yall can BSDeeznuts

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What's the Mint or elementary OS of BSD? GhostBSD?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

What's the Mint or elementary OS of BSD? GhostBSD?

i presume what you mean to ask "what is an absolute garbage way of using these systems?", and on the bsd side it turns out the official distributions have this pretty well covered!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GhostBSD is FreeBSD with mate and a nicer installer and all the focus being put on x86-64 and I think aarch64 so it’s probably going to be the friendliest of the BSDs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

making bsd easier to use is the surest way to drive away all the people who like bsd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

I haven't touched netbsd in awhile. Time to put it on a raspberry pi 3 and see how it fares as a local clock server.

Installed NetBSD on a spare rpi3. It seems nice, except there's a lot of command line stuff that isn't quite the same as Raspbian. I haven't yet attempted compilation of any programs, which I expect to be real annoying.

Now I just have to solder a real-time clock onto this baby and print a new case and see if the kernel will recognize the rtc chip on the i2c bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I used freebsd as my daily driver for a couple years after giving up on the amiga. eventually i came to my senses and I switched to gentoo