Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yeah, there was a third party Gefen adapter that could run it although it was a 60 watt adapter and the display runs up to 100w so it probably wasn't going to hold up in the long run
the biggest crime of that ADC CRT is that it does not support plain 60hz and 70hz VGA display modes so you can't really use it for PC retrogaming. It would have to be VirtualPC on your mac.

https://www.applefritter.com/node/4008 has more discussion about it. Too bad such a cool looking monitor is so flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
does anyone have dev contacts at apple? I found the probable cause of a bug that has bothered a lot of users (corrupted portrait images when transfering from iOS via USB to a PC) but I assume telling support gets nowhere fast.

basically, when you use HEIC images, and have selected "keep originals" for the transfer mode, portrait images, or other images that are edited on-phone gets a grey area

the cause is that for some reason the transfer process uses the name and size of a HEIC file, but the content of the file is a JPEG instead. and since HEIC compresses better than JPEG, this means that the image data gets truncated

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
post it to radar?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
make a website with catchy name and get it featured on all the tech news sites

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Perplx posted:

make a website with catchy name and get it featured on all the tech news sites

it's not a security bug so nobody would care

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

r u ready to WALK posted:

yeah, there was a third party Gefen adapter that could run it although it was a 60 watt adapter and the display runs up to 100w so it probably wasn't going to hold up in the long run
the biggest crime of that ADC CRT is that it does not support plain 60hz and 70hz VGA display modes so you can't really use it for PC retrogaming. It would have to be VirtualPC on your mac.

https://www.applefritter.com/node/4008 has more discussion about it. Too bad such a cool looking monitor is so flawed.

that's a good thread, and you're right that sucks. still want one though

seems to me that you could run it fine on a pc at one of its supported resolutions, if you solve the power on issue mentioned in that thread. use dosbox to scale the content?

idk, it's a perfect display for a Cube, so that's prob what i would use it for

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

oh huh, i was sure the cube wouldn't be able to drive the power hungry crt but there's photo evidence of it working
https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comments/bip1kn/powermac_g4_cube_17_crt_studio_display/

i'd worry about cooking the 200w power supply but i'm going to try this with my cube for sure

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
well, like you said, the monitor is like 100W max (and will survive on that 60W gefran adapter) so it seems quite doable to me

i havent measured the cube's normal draw, but it can't be too much since it's passively cooled

i would be unsurprised to learn that the cube power supply does 200W specifically for this use case

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah that's where owning the whole product line pays off, the ADC connector only plugs apple products into each other so all of them can be designed around all scenarios

cube should be paired with an apple studio display though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i want to shove a m1 max into a cube

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kitten emergency posted:

motherboard's unlikely to fit, sadly

good news for you is that apple's likely to do the shoving for you in the not so distant future, into squashed cube AKA mini

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

BobHoward posted:

motherboard's unlikely to fit, sadly

good news for you is that apple's likely to do the shoving for you in the not so distant future, into squashed cube AKA mini

god please timb hurry up with this poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Bored Online posted:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

haveblue posted:

yeah that's where owning the whole product line pays off, the ADC connector only plugs apple products into each other so all of them can be designed around all scenarios

cube should be paired with an apple studio display though

i have several of these, not super fond of them. i dont think the cube gpu can drive the good ones (23" 1920x1200) anyway

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i got a smartish wallet slayer vol 2 for my 13 mini and despite the monkey cheese name it’s very good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bored Online posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

m1x pro mini when

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

m1x pro mini when

here's hoping

i really wonder how many people buy mac pros, and then never fill the empty slots up with mondo amounts of disk or the extra gpu card or w/e. i have one for work because my workload is RAM bound, and so this thing is basically just a huge box of empty space

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

macs pro are an extremely effective academic budget absorber and I don’t think anyone really uses the hardware to its max at all but it’s probably apple’s highest margin product so I fear they won’t do a good mini until they have a $5k+ sku there for rich people to buy their lovely kids who want to “do video”

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

qirex posted:

macs pro are an extremely effective academic budget absorber

good point, it looks really good sitting on a PI's desk so they feel they got something for the money

this is why the PI of my old lab had a sun ultra 60 and used it to send emails

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i bought a dual core2duo 3ghz mac pro 1,1 for myself in 2006 and it's my most favorite computer ever
i'd love to have another mac pro like that but over the last couple years apple has discovered that they could double the price of all the "pro" models and people still buy them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

macs pro are an extremely effective academic budget absorber and I don’t think anyone really uses the hardware to its max at all but it’s probably apple’s highest margin product so I fear they won’t do a good mini until they have a $5k+ sku there for rich people to buy their lovely kids who want to “do video”

just make a $5000 backplane for mac minis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

kitten smoothie posted:

here's hoping

i really wonder how many people buy mac pros, and then never fill the empty slots up with mondo amounts of disk or the extra gpu card or w/e. i have one for work because my workload is RAM bound, and so this thing is basically just a huge box of empty space

even then the big imacs can pack in 128 gigs, which is what my so did

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i dont use faceid

yeah u do

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

i dont use faceid

might as well post other untruths like "i don't use a phone"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mean i dont use it for unlock. i use it for stuff once the phone is unlocked

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you really should protect your phone with a passcode grandpa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use a passcode instead of faceid

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
love that I got a faceid phone exactly during the mask wearing pandemic. really convenient.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

love that I got a faceid phone exactly during the mask wearing pandemic. really convenient.

if you have the watch it will unlock with a mask on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

same

edit: technically I guess the month before we got sent home lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

have to have the watch to make the phone usable

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

already have a watch (casio)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bought the se 2 during the pandemic. no regrets here. looking forward to se 3 as long as it has touch id

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

why would i have a watch? the phone has a clock

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kitten emergency posted:

there are lot of cool things you can jam into a g4 cube chassis

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
As if i'd ever get rid of the ole girl

Sorry for the funk, been in storage for about eight years

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
is that a bong or smth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

barkbell posted:

is that a bong or smth

it's the yosvape

it tweets and poo poo