Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Uh how about some clear caps?
https://en.zfrontier.com/products/in-stock-lelelab-crystal-clear-abs-keycap-sets?variant=39559526285390

KAT Space Cadet?
https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/keyreative/products/in-stock-kat-space-cadet?variant=39562305994830

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My FIL is looking for an "ergonomic" keyboard for his massive outside ape fingers. Anything spring to mind for giant sausage hands?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there a keycap style that takes pudding a step further? I want the whole thing transparent except for the legends.

Someone was just looking for something in this wheelhouse a few days ago.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Goodpancakes posted:

My FIL is looking for an "ergonomic" keyboard for his massive outside ape fingers. Anything spring to mind for giant sausage hands?

Build a board with these. https://novelkeys.com/products/the-big-switch-series

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Scale up an Ergodox to use those. Call it the Ergosphere.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Just got an email the Adafruit Macropad kit is back in stock. Anyone in the thread have any experience with one?

Looks awesome aside from the hideous keycaps they insist on using in the promotional materials.

Very tempted to snag one to control a boxed alt when multiboxing EverQuest characters.

I have the pimoroni macropad which is the adafruit's cheap brother without a display and dial and I can heartily recommend it.

Programming is a matter of changing a text file in the pad (it shows up as a USB drive when connected) and if you're a proper computer toucher rather than a dabbler like me you can probably make it do all sorts of insane poo poo.

I just copied and pasted the example macros to make my own.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

What kind of ergonomic? Split keyboard? I use a moonlander and it benefits from large hands. I have long fingers and I like it but I don't have giant sausage hands so ymmv

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The ergodox ez might also be an option? That's my dream split board out of the options I've seen so far. Speaking of...

Exit Strategy posted:

For the record, only two boards I have ever seen have done it correctly

Do you mind telling us what two boards those were? Anything publicly available, or just other customs?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Unsinkabear posted:

The ergodox ez might also be an option? That's my dream split board out of the options I've seen so far. Speaking of...

Do you mind telling us what two boards those were? Anything publicly available, or just other customs?

One of them IS the Ergodox EZ, because it has structural supports as part of the case that sit under each hotswap, preventing the user from pushing a badly aligned or damaged switch too hard and ripping the hotswap clean off the board. The other is the Moonlander, which does the same thing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Exit Strategy posted:

One of them IS the Ergodox EZ, because it has structural supports as part of the case that sit under each hotswap, preventing the user from pushing a badly aligned or damaged switch too hard and ripping the hotswap clean off the board. The other is the Moonlander, which does the same thing.

Ah, the Kailh hotswap sockets. Yeah, there have been some failures as you've described. In your experience, do holtites and Mill-Max sockets have a similar issue?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Ah, the Kailh hotswap sockets. Yeah, there have been some failures as you've described. In your experience, do holtites and Mill-Max sockets have a similar issue?

I would absolutely recommend against holtite sockets. They will definitely destroy switches. Mill-max are perfectly fine because they drop in through the top of the switch holes with the lip of the socket sitting on top of the PCB. If you manage to push a mill max socket through the PCB, you've probably destroyed your PCB in the process.

For most hot-swap boards, you should always put switches in the PCB outside the case if possible, while supporting the hot-swap socket on the back with one hand. That way you don't accidentally pop a socket. This also negates the need for standoffs between the plate and PCB, allowing for a flexy typing experience on some boards if that's something you might want.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gearman posted:

I would absolutely recommend against holtite sockets. They will definitely destroy switches. Mill-max are perfectly fine because they drop in through the top of the switch holes with the lip of the socket sitting on top of the PCB. If you manage to push a mill max socket through the PCB, you've probably destroyed your PCB in the process.

For most hot-swap boards, you should always put switches in the PCB outside the case if possible, while supporting the hot-swap socket on the back with one hand. That way you don't accidentally pop a socket. This also negates the need for standoffs between the plate and PCB, allowing for a flexy typing experience on some boards if that's something you might want.

Absolutely agree with both of these positions. I've never used Mill-Maxes before - I've only ever seen Holtites and Kailh sockets. Holtites all but require modifying the switches, and Kailhs are easy to rip off the board.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Absolutely agree with both of these positions. I've never used Mill-Maxes before - I've only ever seen Holtites and Kailh sockets. Holtites all but require modifying the switches, and Kailhs are easy to rip off the board.

My first hotswap board went the way of the dumpster as the case's plate fitment sucked plus everything else described, MassDrop K-Type.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
*sigh* I am still hunting for either a wood 60% with a wood numpad to go along with it, or just a wood TKL case and internals compatible with Boba U4s.

KBDFans and Drop both have 60% wood frames that work with pluggable DRZ60, but no numpad. Any suggestions? This is for my Lugoo Deer build.

The Lugoo Deer mat makes a nice mat for my work setup so I might just put the caps in a fullsize Das, but I really like the idea of wood 60% + numpad, or wood TKL.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

*sigh* I am still hunting for either a wood 60% with a wood numpad to go along with it, or just a wood TKL case and internals compatible with Boba U4s.

KBDFans and Drop both have 60% wood frames that work with pluggable DRZ60, but no numpad. Any suggestions? This is for my Lugoo Deer build.

The Lugoo Deer mat makes a nice mat for my work setup so I might just put the caps in a fullsize Das, but I really like the idea of wood 60% + numpad, or wood TKL.

The problem is TKL and numpads aren’t “standardized” like 60% are so the only way you’re going to find what you’re looking for is if someone runs a group buy or you commission a custom build

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sacred Cow posted:

The problem is TKL and numpads aren’t “standardized” like 60% are so the only way you’re going to find what you’re looking for is if someone runs a group buy or you commission a custom build

that makes sense. Maybe my best bet is to do a 60% and then build a caseless numpad and use my own questionable woodworking skills to make a case for it.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Well the case is printed. Changed orientation on second half for better resolution with all the angles.
It is massive.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
She lives.

Mode65, maroon top, lilac back and bottom
FR4 Plate, Stack mount
Banana Split switches, stock
Durock V2 PCB-mount stabs, housings lubed with Krytox 205g0 and wires lubed with dielectric grease
Octopus keycaps from Kinetic Labs

Thanks to everyone in the discord for putting up with my anxiety and questions lmao

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What are the best options for a bluetooth numpad?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

This just in: linears are pretty great.

My "Used: Acceptable" Freestyle Edge with Cherry reds that had "multiple cosmetic issues greater than one inch" from Amazon Warehouse deals is absolutely pristine. No scratches, not a single speck of dust or dirt, bread ties still on the cables and everything. It just came in a bag with no manual instead of a box. I like the sound much better than the brown version and the feel is just as (maybe more?) satisfying in a different way, so I'll likely keep this model since it was cheaper.

Am I supposed to be bottoming out the keys on these? I've heard that doing so contributes to finger pain, but it's hard not to when you take away the tactility.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 6, 2021

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Unsinkabear posted:

Yuuuuup. My board has Alpacas in it right now and they're an absolute delight to type on.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

I put some milky yellows in my GMMK Pro. I didn't like them at first but I'm turning around on them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Unsinkabear posted:

My "Used: Acceptable" Freestyle Edge with Cherry reds that had "multiple cosmetic issues greater than one inch" from Amazon Warehouse deals is absolutely pristine. No scratches, not a single speck of dust or dirt, bread ties still on the cables and everything. It just came in a bag with no manual instead of a box. I like the sound much better than the brown version and the feel is just as (maybe more?) satisfying in a different way, so I'll likely keep this model since it was cheaper.

Am I supposed to be bottoming out the keys on these? I've heard that doing so contributes to finger pain, but it's hard not to when you take away the tactility.

I don't know how to not bottom out on linears. Even with 89-100g springs.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Sweet Business Update:

- About half of the plates are done. Our laser's not the fastest unit in the West, but it's workin'.
- Ijyt's Mill-Maxes are ordered.
- I've had to order more standoffs, as I've found I don't have enough handy! That's OK, though.
- Production probably due to start on Wednesday. I'll take pictures of myself assembling them and dump 'em here.

In other news:
I'm designing a mouse, because literally every mouse in existence sucks. If they're not fragile hardware built down to a price in order to maximize profit, they're the Ploopy, and if they're not that then they have an obscene sack-of-hotdogs shaped software package that might install a crypto miner on your computer.

Like the Ploopy, it'll be running on a PixArt sensor and using QMK. Unlike the Ploopy, it'll be compatible with a large variety of switch types because that's how I roll.

e: I call it Eyes of Tomorrow.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 6, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Like the Ploopy, it'll be running on a PixArt sensor and using QMK. Unlike the Ploopy, it'll be compatible with a large variety of switch types because that's how I roll.

Going to use MX switches?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Exit Strategy posted:

Sweet Business Update:

- About half of the plates are done. Our laser's not the fastest unit in the West, but it's workin'.
- I've had to order more standoffs, as I've found I don't have enough handy! That's OK, though.
- Production probably due to start on Wednesday. I'll take pictures of myself assembling them and dump 'em here.

In other news:
I'm designing a mouse, because literally every mouse in existence sucks. If they're not fragile hardware built down to a price in order to maximize profit, they're the Ploopy, and if they're not that then they have an obscene sack-of-hotdogs shaped software package that might install a crypto miner on your computer.

Oh my, this is very interesting to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The reason mice are the way they are is that brand loyalty is bizarrely high so it's most profitable for the manufacturers for the mice to fail after 1-2 years, most customers will happily buy a new model of the same. It's a strange business, even as far as Hardware For Nerds goes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As long as it's not full of holes!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The reason mice are the way they are is that brand loyalty is bizarrely high so it's most profitable for the manufacturers for the mice to fail after 1-2 years, most customers will happily buy a new model of the same. It's a strange business, even as far as Hardware For Nerds goes.

So much of miceing is just “I have found the perfect shape that fits perfect in my hand and every other mouse feels weird” so, yeah. Once you find the shape you like brand loyalty skyrockets and you buy five of the same mouse lest it get discontinued on you.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Can anyone recommend a basic wireless numpad with cherry reds as a switch option? A volume knob would be very neat, but not required. I'm sure that's an uncommon thing that would drive the price up.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I stupidly joined a Black on White keycap group buy back in March because they said it'd be shipped out by May/June. It's now December and the guy keeps saying "next week I'll be done". I'm pretty close to just buying keycaps somewhere else because I've been using caps from my super old keyboard temporarily.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Chevy Slyme posted:

So much of miceing is just “I have found the perfect shape that fits perfect in my hand and every other mouse feels weird” so, yeah. Once you find the shape you like brand loyalty skyrockets and you buy five of the same mouse lest it get discontinued on you.

Please don't doxx me :ohdear:

Question for the thread: I'm looking for a keyboard for my office at work, now that I've been required to go back into the office. I was thinking about something Topre, but a quick Google suggests that they are surprisingly expensive.

I was thinking just a standard keyboard (104 keys). Am I looking to have to spend over $200 for something like that, or are there budget options available? Backlight would be nice, don't care about the color or fancy modes or anything.

I guess the other question I have is: do Topre switches have a full throw, or are they more similar to the weird demi-chiclet Dell keyboard that work provided me? I'm not sure I've ever seen one in person before . . .

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Please don't doxx me :ohdear:

Question for the thread: I'm looking for a keyboard for my office at work, now that I've been required to go back into the office. I was thinking about something Topre, but a quick Google suggests that they are surprisingly expensive.

I was thinking just a standard keyboard (104 keys). Am I looking to have to spend over $200 for something like that, or are there budget options available? Backlight would be nice, don't care about the color or fancy modes or anything.

I guess the other question I have is: do Topre switches have a full throw, or are they more similar to the weird demi-chiclet Dell keyboard that work provided me? I'm not sure I've ever seen one in person before . . .

Amazon sells Topre keyboards, so at the very least you could try it out with the option of an easy return.
https://www.amazon.com/Realforce-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Black-Weight/dp/B07K9B77PJ

But if you just want something to get the job done and not spend too much money on it. Keychron C2 hotswap with brown switches. That way if you've got the option to swap everything out for boba u2 silents down the road.
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-c2-wired-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39311467085913

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

Sweet Business Update:

In other news:

It's been a lot of fun watching your progress - if you ever have any interest in doing some sort of unique 65-75% with function keys on the left or right side or even a TKL, I'd definitely be interested.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

.Z. posted:

Amazon sells Topre keyboards, so at the very least you could try it out with the option of an easy return.
https://www.amazon.com/Realforce-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Black-Weight/dp/B07K9B77PJ

But if you just want something to get the job done and not spend too much money on it. Keychron C2 hotswap with brown switches. That way if you've got the option to swap everything out for boba u2 silents down the road.
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-c2-wired-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39311467085913

Hmm, those Gateron Browns seem like they might be something I'd be interested in . . .

Too bad both of those items are sold out in the configurations I'd want :(

Something for me to keep checking back on, though, so thank you for that! $54 is a lot easier for me to stomach for leaving at the office where who knows what might happen to it. That isn't to say that I didn't take either of my two current keyboards to work (I did, one was purchased specifically for work) but that was back when I was in the office everyday.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zarin posted:

Hmm, those Gateron Browns seem like they might be something I'd be interested in . . .

Too bad both of those items are sold out in the configurations I'd want :(

Something for me to keep checking back on, though, so thank you for that! $54 is a lot easier for me to stomach for leaving at the office where who knows what might happen to it. That isn't to say that I didn't take either of my two current keyboards to work (I did, one was purchased specifically for work) but that was back when I was in the office everyday.

Keychron restocks pretty regularly, and the C2 is also available on Amazon, so check there too.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Keychron restocks pretty regularly, and the C2 is also available on Amazon, so check there too.

I think all the C2s currently in stock on Amazon are the soldered configurations, not hotswap.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

.Z. posted:

I think all the C2s currently in stock on Amazon are the soldered configurations, not hotswap.

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Hot-swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Compatible/dp/B08SR1HVQB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Unsinkabear posted:

Can anyone recommend a basic wireless numpad with cherry reds as a switch option? A volume knob would be very neat, but not required. I'm sure that's an uncommon thing that would drive the price up.

I haven't seen anything pre-built that meets these exact criteria.
One option is the GK21s from the KP Repbublic Ali Express store or their official site. It doesn't have a volume knob though, and is only offered with Gateron switches, not Cherry. However, you can opt to purchase it bare, without any switches, and then source whichever switches you like from elsewhere. It's hot-swappable so no soldering required. Battery life is not amazing though if you leave the lights on all the time.

There could be a numpad kit out there that is both wireless and has a volume knob, but it would probably be a complete DIY job with you having to solder diodes, controller, switches, etc. I don't know of any off the top of my head.