Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

discoukulele posted:

s03e13 - A Late Delivery from Avalon
Ohh Michael York was actually the captain responsible for the Earth-Minbari War

Minor correction: He's actually the gunner who fired the first shot. Same ultimate outcome for kicking off the war, but one does have to wonder if Delenn would have been quite so forgiving to the man who gave the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Torrannor posted:

I really, really appreciate every new watcher sharing their first time reactions with us. I know there's not a lot of feedback, but that's because we're trying very hard not to spoil anything.

Have with with the next few episodes, they're all really good except for one.

Yeah. A lot of what us old hands have to chatter about without spoiling things is the behind the scenes circumstances that acted as head and tailwinds for the show and explain a lot of the choices that leave new viewers scratching their heads. There are a lot more of those very early (and very late) in the shows run. Where you’re at right now, Disco, is basically the show firing on all cylinders at the very heart of what it tries to do. There’s just very little for any of us to say but “heat up some popcorn, because poo poo is going down” for the next, oh, 15-20 hours of television you’re about to watch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s03e13 - A Late Delivery from Avalon
  • and Michael York is King Arthur

Compare and contrast with David Warner, who was seeking the holy grail.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. A lot of what us old hands have to chatter about without spoiling things is the behind the scenes circumstances that acted as head and tailwinds for the show and explain a lot of the choices that leave new viewers scratching their heads. There are a lot more of those very early (and very late) in the shows run. Where you’re at right now, Disco, is basically the show firing on all cylinders at the very heart of what it tries to do. There’s just very little for any of us to say but “heat up some popcorn, because poo poo is going down” for the next, oh, 15-20 hours of television you’re about to watch.

The willows must scuttle carefully...

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'll have notes later, but I'm watching part 2 of the 2-parter with my friend and I'm just like

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Okay so I'm definitely rewatching those before I move on :psypop:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

discoukulele posted:

Okay so I'm definitely rewatching those before I move on :psypop:

:yeshaha:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 6, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The United States posted:

(Image omitted)

Much like the S2 DVD set, this picture has a spoiler in it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
At one point I was top 10 in the world in the Babylon 5 CCG

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

At one point I was top 10 in the world in the Babylon 5 CCG

There were ten players?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

There were ten players?

There were about 20 in my local area alone

Tournament rules used to include the ability for the winning player to give out an additional point at the end (in addition to the ones you got for your placing within the game), which was intended as a coin for bribing people but ended up being either a pity point or a "I like your deck" point. It didn't last long, though, as apparently games were much less social the other side of the pond (we played in a pub) and the players never talked to each other.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Omfg there's a Tabletop Simulator mod for it! :neckbeard: I'm definitely going to try it out with my friend when I'm done with the series.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I never saw the CCG, but I have a copy of a B5 board game that seemed pretty interesting, but I don't remember if I ever even played it. The core conceit was that it was expandable, so you could buy the core game, then expansion sets for the major alien races. Furthermore, the plan was to start during the first season and release new expansion sets for each following season that added new factions and updated the existing ones, though I don't think they ever made it past season 2 or 3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

B5 managed to license some extremely dubious games.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Midjack posted:

B5 managed to license some extremely dubious games.

But also some good ones. I loved Babylon 5 Wars, for instance. The game broke down if you let fleet sizes get too big, but for small scale engagements, the level of detail they put in was marvelous. Once Agents of Gaming lost the license and it went to Mongoose, their Babylon 5: A Call to Arms did large fleet battles much better, but I really missed the detail and personality of the ships from B5 Wars.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jng2058 posted:

But also some good ones. I loved Babylon 5 Wars, for instance. The game broke down if you let fleet sizes get too big, but for small scale engagements, the level of detail they put in was marvelous. Once Agents of Gaming lost the license and it went to Mongoose, their Babylon 5: A Call to Arms did large fleet battles much better, but I really missed the detail and personality of the ships from B5 Wars.

B5W was good and Fleet Action was okay, though B5W became unplayable with more than a handful of ships on each side, similar to Star Fleet Battles. I have everything AoG published for B5W and FA as well as the ActA 1E base but never had a chance to play it and never bothered with any of the expansions - it seemed a bit less abstract than FA but nowhere near as teeth-shatteringly crunchy as B5W.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Midjack posted:

B5W was good and Fleet Action was okay, though B5W became unplayable with more than a handful of ships on each side, similar to Star Fleet Battles. I have everything AoG published for B5W and FA as well as the ActA 1E base but never had a chance to play it and never bothered with any of the expansions - it seemed a bit less abstract than FA but nowhere near as teeth-shatteringly crunchy as B5W.

You could make B5 Wars work on a large scale in a convention setting where you had a lot of players each handling a small number of ships, a GM or two to keep things on track, and a double time slot of like eight hours. I once played a B5W event at Origins just like that where we played out one of the bigger battles from the show where each of us got one capital ship and it's fighter squadrons. Took forever, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Not something you could reasonably do on the fly, of course, but it could be done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jng2058 posted:

You could make B5 Wars work on a large scale in a convention setting where you had a lot of players each handling a small number of ships, a GM or two to keep things on track, and a double time slot of like eight hours. I once played a B5W event at Origins just like that where we played out one of the bigger battles from the show where each of us got one capital ship and it's fighter squadrons. Took forever, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Not something you could reasonably do on the fly, of course, but it could be done.

It seemed like you would need a basketball court for an entire week to do some of the scenarios provided in the books.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Dear God. A Minbari not born of Minbari.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Hey y'all! This has been a really hectic week, so I haven't really had time to watch any more episodes. But, I just did my re-watch of episode 16 and 17, and I'll likely do some more tonight. I'm really excited about heading in to the homestretch of Season 3!

s03e16 – War Without End Pt 1

• Our first view of the Minbari capital!
  • Sinclair is going by Entil’zha. He receives a message from 900 years ago to be delivered on this day.
  • Activity from Sector 14 (where B4 disappeared) – it’s a Ivanova making a distress call from B5
  • “He is the closed circle. He is returning to the beginning.” (makes so much sense on a re-watch lmao)
  • Delenn got a letter, too
  • It’s Zathras!
  • Garibaldi approaches the rift and gets a video feed of Ivanova’s message. The captain has been killed. There’s a major Shadow attack.
  • In the Great War, the Minbari were going to lose to the Shadows, but B4 showed up
  • reminder that the Great Machine has been there for 500 years
  • the “allies of the Shadows” tried to destroy B4 six years ago but it was saved by the White Star
  • Ivanova’s message is from a possible future but it’s not necessarily what will happen
  • lmao at Garibaldi guessing “fasten” and “zip” as passwords
  • Sheridan’s been captured by Emperor Mollari, who blames him for the destruction of Centauri Prime (which was a major "oh poo poo" moment on my first viewing)

s03e17 – War Without End Pt 2
  • So all of this destruction is happening 17 years after Sheldon’s “crusade”
  • Okay, so (trying really hard to keep the timelines straight on my second viewing) – The White Star has arrived on B4 6 years ago.
  • “The war is never completely won. There are always new battles to be fought against the darkness. Only the names change.”
  • Delenn and Sheridan will have a son named David
  • Londo gets drunk so that a parasite on his neck passes out and he can speak frankly with Delenn and Sheridan. His exchange with Sheridan earlier was a show for the parasite. He has a secret escape ship waiting for them and asks that they free his people.
  • It sounds like other people have parasites, as well.
  • We see the deaths of Londo and G’Kar again, but in a completely new and tragic light.
  • Londo gets his redemption and Vir takes the throne
  • Zathuras uses a suit like the one we’ve seen Sinclair in previously to call Sheridan back.
  • The time device goes off prematurely and they reemerge 4 years in the future, the last time reappeared last season.
  • Delenn sees a vision of Sherdan in her bed. Someone comes to the door and says “Hello” (subtitles said it was Delenn saying hello)
  • Season 1 Sinclair and Garibaldi arrive
  • Recap of Season 1 season where The Suit appears (“The One”)
  • Sheridan re-emerges from out of time with a new stabilizer. Someone switched places with him.
  • The Suit returns to save Zathuras like we’ve previously seen, but it’s not actually Sinclair, it’s Delenn.
  • Delenn was the offscreen person who met with Sinclair at the end of the S1 episode
  • Sinclair reveals that he wrote the letters to himself and Delenn 900 years ago. He plans to take B4 back in time.
  • Delenn is The One. Sinclair, Delenn, and Sheridan are the Minbari trinity and the patrons of the 3 castes. Sinclair is the one who was, Delenn is the one who is, Sheridan is the one who will be.
  • Zathuras goes back with Sinclair
  • So Delenn was basically a test run of the Crysalis? Sinclair uses the device to become “a Minbari not born of Minbari” and assumes the identity of Valen, flanked by two Vorlons.
  • So, having seen the episode twice, I’m still a little bit confused about who was in The Suit when, especially with Delenn’s appearance in it. I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to know at this point, because I’m not sure which time period of Delenn we saw. But I’d love some clarification if it’s stuff that I should know at this point

My god what an amazing set of episodes. Totally mindblowing. I can't imagine how B5 is going to top this, and I'm really looking forward to where things are going now. It's also going to be really interesting to see what happens now that certain principal cast members know things about the past and the future that they probably can't share with others. I'm definitely on board for the rest of this ride.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

:munch:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s03e18 - Walkabout
  • heck yes, first new episode in a week!
  • Londo’s having a fit about a Narn heavy cruiser outside of B5. Now that B5 is independent, they don’t have to honor any previous treaties with the Cenauri
  • Lyta arrives looking for answers about Kosh’s death as the new Vorlon ambassador is arriving
  • I mean, if I knew that I would survive in one piece for the next 17 years, I might be tempted to do crazy poo poo like walk around on B5’s hull, too, tbqh
  • I don’t think I realized that Dr. Franklin is still on B5 after his resignation. But then again, I wouldn’t imagine any B5 crew would be welcome anywhere else
  • “We are all Kosh”
  • New Kosh strangles Lyta and blames her for Kosh’s death
  • and right after that, Lyta’s just acting kinda chill “they’re taking it pretty hard.” :rolleyes:
  • I’m vibin to this musical interlude ngl
  • and a reminder that Telepaths might be able to disrupt the Shadow ships. They’re going to try it with Lyta, with Lennier joining as a translator.
  • lmfao at the way this alien dude awkwardly looks down at the paper he’s holding when Sheridan asks if anyone beside the Narn and Minbari want to help
  • Na’Kal isn’t keen on assisting with his heavy cruiser given the state of the Narn fleet
    G’Kar – If we don’t help him, he’ll die!
    Na’Kal -

• oof and what’s going to happen if/when anyone finds out that Sheridan had a role in Kosh’s death?
  • aaaaaand Sheridan & Co basically just kicked the hornets’ nest. Good goin.
  • I’m sorry, I love this. I do. But I can’t not lol a little bit at Lyta’s “fighting space ships with my mind” face-acting. But I wouldn’t really know how to convey that either tbh
  • Poor James :(
  • Someone on B5 has a piece of Kosh inside them (cough cough Sheridan)

s03e19 – Grey 17 Is Missing
  • So the B5 crew is trying to round up some Telepaths and they think about tapping in to the underground railroad
  • Oh poo poo, Delenn for Ranger One! Which would mean that they would come to B5
  • And to everyone else it looks like she’s staging a power-grab for the religious caste
  • also, idk, I would think that the head of security would know that there’s only 29 levels in Grey Sector ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • oh my god it’s Robert Englund!
  • lmao at Garibaldi’s “Call an ambulance… but not for me!” moment
  • oooof I’m still recovering from breaking my sternum so I’m not a big fan of all of this rib cracking
  • This whole Garibaldi plot is feeling extremely Alien 3
  • lmao the tone of this episode is so loving bizarre after the last few

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s03e16 – War Without End Pt 1

Sinclair is going by Entil’zha.

A small clarification:

Entil'zha isn't a name, it's Minbari for "Ranger One".

I also enjoyed your "wow, first new episode in a week!" comment. Now you know how we felt!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

[
[*] It’s Zathras!

No, I'm pretty sure it's Zathras.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

discoukulele posted:

So, having seen the episode twice, I’m still a little bit confused about who was in The Suit when, especially with Delenn’s appearance in it. I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to know at this point, because I’m not sure which time period of Delenn we saw. But I’d love some clarification if it’s stuff that I should know at this point

You're not missing out on anything. Some of what's here is a little confusing because they were trying to make it all fit together with Babylon Squared, and that was written before there were any plans for Sheridan. It mostly fits together, but there are some minor inconsistencies and not everything is entirely clear.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alhazred posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's Zathras.

No, if you go back and look carefully you can tell it's Zathras.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ultrafilter posted:

You're not missing out on anything. Some of what's here is a little confusing because they were trying to make it all fit together with Babylon Squared, and that was written before there were any plans for Sheridan. It mostly fits together, but there are some minor inconsistencies and not everything is entirely clear.

I have watched this episode 20 times probably and still can't follow every detail. Best to give up lest you turn into Zathras.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Jedit posted:

A small clarification:

Entil'zha isn't a name, it's Minbari for "Ranger One".

I also enjoyed your "wow, first new episode in a week!" comment. Now you know how we felt!

Oh thanks! That makes more sense.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

discoukulele posted:

Hey y'all! This has been a really hectic week, so I haven't really had time to watch any more episodes. But, I just did my re-watch of episode 16 and 17, and I'll likely do some more tonight. I'm really excited about heading in to the homestretch of Season 3!

My god what an amazing set of episodes. Totally mindblowing. I can't imagine how B5 is going to top this, and I'm really looking forward to where things are going now.

No actual spoilers, just:
SEASON FOUR SAYS HELLO.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Vavrek posted:

No actual spoilers, just:
SEASON FOUR SAYS HELLO.

lmao and also heck yes. I'm planning to finished up Season 3 tonight; 1.5 episode to go!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s03e20 -And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
  • B5 is sending out their Telepaths to the allied races
  • Brother Leo is still around, too.
  • Baptists are still lovely to Catholics even in the future
  • Delenn and Sheridan already acting like a couple w/r/t coordinating dinner plans
  • Londo bein real gross with this Na’Toth plot
  • Refa is with Virini, an aide to the Emperor who’s trying to resolve the dispute between Refa and Londo. Refa wants Virini to see what Londo has become.
  • The Space Baptist has a data crystal with info about the Resistance on Earth.
  • Poor Vir :(
  • If I were Vir in this situation, I would probably just be like “Yeah, gently caress that guy, I’ll spill the beans”
  • I don’t really think we’ve seen a non-human telepath in operation before. I mean, we’ve been told that they exist, but I don’t remember ever seeing one do a scan.
  • lmao “she loves you, you know” – uh yeah, they’re gonna have a kid together
  • Oh wow, so Narn is basically experiencing a nuclear winter
  • Refa’s plotting to swoop in and beat Londo to the punch
  • There’s a space in the middle of the Shadow attacks that hasn’t been attacked, but they might be corralling the refugees there
  • lmaooo at this little musical juxtaposition. And yay, both Londo and G’Kar have gotten their revenge
  • Oh poo poo, White Star fleet! :woop:
  • what’s with the Z Minus X Days titles :ohdear:

s03e21 – Shadow Dancing
  • Z Minus 7 Days :ohdear:
  • So they know an attack is coming, probably because of their quiet zone theory from the last ep
  • Ivanova and Cole are being sent into Sector 83 to scout
  • Aw, Old Egyptian Blessing reference
  • Oof Franklin lookin rough
  • aaaahahha legit cackled at Ivanova struggling with the White Star bed
  • oh gently caress, Franklin got shanked
  • the fleet arrives and ah poo poo here we go :woop:
  • “What do you want?” 🤔
  • battle’s getting p crazy. I love the variety of alien ships
  • Ivanova brings up the issue of why B5 hasn’t been directly attacked. Sheridan has a flashback to his S2 vision.
  • It sounds like Sheridan has a foil
  • Ohhh it’s the moment Delenn saw in the two-parter with Sheridan in her bed
  • lmao oh poo poo! Sheridan’s wife is alive. :\

s03e22 Z’Ha’Dum
  • y’all c’mon if she’s alive she’s like Morden probably
  • Londo got a promotion. The Shadows warn him to get off of B5 ASAP (because Sheridan’s wife is up to some poo poo, c’mon y’all)
  • IPX found the Shadow ship on mars (like we saw earlier). The put a homing device inside of it before it got repaired and left. It went to Z’Ha’Dum
  • Allegedly the Shadows let Anna & Co study their tech in exchange for their silence
  • No poo poo there’s a problem with Anna.
  • Sheridan actually made it to Z’Ha’Dum so he’s dead eventually
  • Sheridan meets Justin, the “Middleman” – the Shadows start poo poo every 1000 years to guide the development of sentient species through conflict
  • The Vorlons created telepaths. The Psi Corps was designed to return Telepaths to the Shadow side
  • Anna merged with a Shadow ship and can never be the same again
  • Wouldn’t be a season finale without Sheridan jumping off of something impossibly high
  • everyone thinks Sheridan’s dead but we know better than that
  • Garibaldi is also missing
  • also, I really thought the standoff with the Shadows would lead to Ivanova’s distress call

Hell fuckin yeah Season 4 lets go

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

discoukulele posted:

Oh poo poo, White Star fleet! :woop:

Not to be confused with White Starfleet.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Hey y'all! I'm starting Season 4 tonight. I believe that some of the movies are coming up. Can y'all let me know when I should watch them? I thought some of them might be mid-season 4 and some more are after season 4, but I wasn't sure and I don't want to google it for fear of spoilers. :)

Thanks!!

edit: and also, i meant to mention - we'd talked about how awful the audio sync was for some episodes in seasons 1 and 2 on HBO Max, but season 3 was totally fine the entire time fwiw

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 15, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can just watch them all after you're done with the show, they're all either prequels, sequels, or side stories that don't affect the main plot.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Thirdspace is somewhere in the middle of S4, like 9 or 10 episodes in. In the Beginning after S4, River of Souls after S5 and A Call to Arms after that. Watch Legend of the Rangers never and Voices in the Dark after that.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

discoukulele posted:

Hey y'all! I'm starting Season 4 tonight. I believe that some of the movies are coming up. Can y'all let me know when I should watch them? I thought some of them might be mid-season 4 and some more are after season 4, but I wasn't sure and I don't want to google it for fear of spoilers. :)

Chronologically it's Thirdspace after S4E06, In The Beginning after the end of season 4.

Both were aired after the end of season 4 if you wanted to both after season 4, honestly either way works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Your drug of choice is a good idea for Legend of the Rangers.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
lmao i'm never not-high when i'm watching B5 as it is. That's why I take notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You might want to be bonus high for Legend of the Rangers.